What was your fasting blood glucose? (full on chat)

gennepher

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
fbs 9.3

I did eat more yesterday. The heat and getting through my long day. And I ate a punnet of strawberries and a punnet of raspberries...and then at midnight I was slicing a pink lady apple...

So not surprised. It will probably take a couple of days to go back down.

Hope you all survived the heat of yesterday. And found ways of coping. Wet underwear is a great way.

Pity there are no wet t shirt competitions near here because batty old cantankerous lady could have entered a few...

>^..^<

gennepher

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I am seriously not used to this kind of weather. I don’t think any of us are in the U.K. we don’t know how to deal with it. It doesn’t happen that often but with global warming ...

You said you lived with that kind of weather...I couldn’t do it. I like my cold rainy UK weather...usually...unless we are getting a flood.

Thanks @SaskiaKC for those brilliant links. Not heard of those vests. Nor the portable misters. Am definitely going to order one of those portable misters today.

Amazon shopping today...spending money from the comfort of my thatched swing with cat on my lap...and with a cuppa tea and some strawberries...

>^..^<

johnpol

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Morning all from the extremely hot (still) North, the locals are still standing around marvelling at the big red ball in the sky wondering just what it is and why they have water running down their faces every time they look up! I'm both melting and swelling up in equal measure, must be something about being on the large size, I looked more like the Michelin Man than normal. Any way I am distracted, the meter of doom petulantly threw a 6.6 at me this morning after it sat fuming about it for a few seconds! and its only Friday!! The weekend awaits us, we can go on a mad drinking spree until the wee small hours of Sunday morning, be out, properly out, not go home just be out!! oh who am I kidding grass cutting, taking the better half to material shops (she needs stock for her Memory Keepsake Business) and more fabric shops, ohh don't forget the material shops...……...have I mentioned the material shops? When is the mob descending and gathering to get Plumpy back? I'm with you all, love a good Mob I do me!

Take care everyone

Last edited:

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Morning All. Me too! Member of the “impossible to sleep club”. My cats dozed inside all day yesterday and when they got out in the evening they wouldnt come in. I dozed on the sofa waiting for them. It was the thunder that eventually got them in. Two very tired bleary eyes young felines here at the mo. Anyway, 5.7 at 07.15. Hope the weather is kinder today. I am only grateful I didnt have to get on a train to work this week especially with all the delays and over crowding.
Take care everyone. Stay well, stay safe

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
the abiding image of her in the mask like SUPERCAT, ..taking on 3 grown adults AND winning, always makes us chuckle.. Bless her
Made me chuckle and remember how difficult it was to get a worming tablet down our (late) Ginger. When I took him to the vet I asked him to do it. He gave me a withering look and said “no problem”. After we both struggled and failed he got the nurse in “she is so used to doing this...” After a tremendous 3 person 1 cat struggle it was done. Just as I was about to put him in his crate on the table a small white fast missile went past the vets shoulder to the far corner of the room. I was so proud of my boy!

Reactions: DJC3 and Viv19

geefull

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
good morning all :)

4.8 today

it's a bit greyer here this morning but still hot (vs. our usual anyway ;)), and our forecast says heavy rain by teatime, if it cools things down we might all get a bit more sleep.
I'm in the charity shop today so it'll be step climbing for exercise.

@PenguinMum mum used to find the worming tablet under the hearthrug hours later ;)

@Bubbsie so sorry to hear about the 'Plumpy' dirty trick, hugs for both of you, (he must be pretty confused too :().

Hope your day treats you kindly :)

dunelm

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
It drizzled and spluttered a soupcon of damp last night so it’s a very good morning everyone from a day of future possibilities. The photo of a Lawrence Of Arabia sky yesterday has been replaced by a slide depicting a mixture of grey and white cloud interspaced with small, tantalizing, glimpses of the blue above that at present can only be enjoyed by those traveling by air.

The wonder wheel of thankfulness for the airflow from a fan and the windows wide open returned a cool 4.9 at 0600.

Over in SW France, my mother reports that after two months of blistering heat, her and dad stayed up all night for the noise and light show in the sky and the long awaited rain; a wonderful backdrop to a Rolling Stones in Havana concert that they watched on the TV. They have now retired to their bed, safe in the knowledge that their gardens and the potager have had a good soaking of water.

Have a great day if you can. Koffy calls.

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
@DJC3 good start to the day. @Bildad @trick60 @HarrisonK and anyone else not finding sleep easy in the hot weather have a hug and sympathy from someone who finds the exact opposite. @Viv19 great news on the lower bg and I agree about the bg confusion (IMHO mostly caused by people who blithely say do a.b,c like me and you will be a success story).
My meter announced this new Elizabethan Age may need to be postponed because Alexander's rag time band is bereft of talent but just to placate you have a 4.6. As you say Viv, bg total mystery but eggs, cheese, avocados and salad may be involved somehow. In other words fairly conventional summer diet for me without the carby cricket teas of yore.. Enjoy your day folks, try to stay out of the Parish Workhouse and look forward to a Scottish king then Civil War.

Last edited:

Krystyna23040

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
@Krystyna23040 I just saw this picture on FB and it looked so much like the countryside I saw when I Googled Holkham in Norfolk that I wanted to share it here:

66847779_2572165479469435_8473814928472408064_n.jpg

Also here https://www.facebook.com/prodigalch...519196067416/2572165469469436/?type=3&theater
Yes - it is just like the countryside around Holkham and I do love the quote.

Krystyna23040

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Good afternoon.. it’s a bit toastie! isn’t it? ...

so still on my 12 week programme. Of my own valuation. Low carb highest far of course! So far my nova rapid has reduced significantly by about 30 units and my abasaglar has reduced by about 30 units.. I’ve lost 9 lb and I’m ok. This morning was my highest reading so far at 6.5 but I’m melting 37 degrees at present.. it’s wonderful !
you have made amazing progress as that is a really significant reduction in insulin. Well done.

Krystyna23040

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Never been before so looking forward to discovering this part of the world. Doubt we will be do our usual 20k steps a day we usually do on hols. FIL.wont go in wheelchair so possibly only manage 20! Haha.
Hope you are enjoying your visit to Norfolk. It is a lovely part of the world - but I must admit I am biased as I live here.

Krystyna23040

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
9.4mmols this morning ... what can i do to get these morning sugars down?
I found that the morning sugars were the last to come down. The liver finds stored sugar and dumps it so you can use it in the morning (its called Dawn Phenomenon). So once you have got rid of all the stored sugars the morning sugars settle down. This can take quite a long time. I found low carb was the best way to tackle this.

Not sure if you have had the info for new members https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/basic-information-for-newly-diagnosed-diabetics.17088/

HarryBeau

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Come London.

Thunderstorms and lashing down here about half hour ago.. And more planned for the day.:***:
Torrential rain now thank goodness I didn't get in my car & dash off to London...I would have missed it;)

Reactions: Viv19