What was your fasting blood glucose? (full on chat)

Krystyna23040

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes, they do make you feel good, they do me.

I think I need to start doing them again...
I am so pleased I started IF again. I meant to start back after the Christmas holidays but didn't - and now it is nearly the end of July and I have finally got round to it again.

It's a lovely feeling to know that autophagy is working away to repair damage once you have fasted for maybe 14hrs (this is from memory so might not be exactly right).

5.6 this morning after an 18hr fast. So my liver has discovered a bit more stored sugar last night and I am sure I used it all in my 6am before breakfast dog walk. Very pleased we went early as it has got very dark - rain is definitely on the way.

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Not being able to eat pavlova any more
5.8 today. Up til about 2am putting together a leaflet for diabetics and anyone just wanting to lose weight. Working with my surgery on this and would like it sorting for next week when I'm attending a big PPG networking meeting. Can pass to unsuspecting victims of other PPGs and CCG members. But I found it hard. Dont want to tread on any toes which is practically impossible when I'm advocating lchf! Will see where it goes. The bin probably!!! Have included my journey to remission, normalising my BP and 4 stone weight loss. Low carb food list. Meal suggestions (my weekly choices basically) Dr Unwins visual guide to sugars in common foods.

Today's agenda = stripping walls. Almost done. Then jet washing paving stones. Doesnt get any more exciting than that!!!

Almost hump day (already looking forward to weekend and it's only Tuesday!!!)
Sounds awesome. How do we get a copy? First ever reading under 100 this morning! That's 5.4. LCHF seems to be working for me!!

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Sounds awesome. How do we get a copy? First ever reading under 100 this morning! That's 5.4. LCHF seems to be working for me!!
Hi Bec welcome to this friendly thread where we support our individual targets, commiserate when things are tough, have a laugh and loads of banter! I think a FBG of 5.4 is fab and would make me happy. How long have you been Low Carbing?

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
That's exactly what I need at the moment. Do let me know if you find out where to get one from - Amazon doesn't sell them!
I certainly will. Glad IF works for you as others seem to feel it does for them. Think the time turner will be as useful as a chocolate fireguard like IF is for me. I still generally follow 18 hr fasting hoping, Micawber like, for something to turn up. Always good to know what works for other people.

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
An interesting evening last night.

Aziz was one of the chaps looking for help with his uni degree, regarding how people with type 2 use the forums to help get advice and maintain their health.

a good 30 minutes of answering his direct questions, with perhaps another 10 mins answering the questions off the sheet that popped up as we spoke.

helped me as i vocalised, understand better, just what i'd like the Government / Health system to do for anyone with diabetes, and in particular, rather selfishly for me Type 2 diabetes.

after expressing my disappointment at the lack of information and the miserable treatment of being diagnosed and handed a leaflet, then almost being rushed out of the door in 10 mins flat...........
fire.gif

I chilled out....
smurfgrandpa.gif

Nice experience, i hope he's taken away a good opinion of the forum and what it represents for us.

I think the overview of the conversation was that i thought the Forum and it's type SHOULD be offered day one, and it while it should be independent..(see Diabetes.uk. sponsorship deal :banghead:)

It SHOULD be a valuable part OF the Healthcare system.
an extension of the GP's practice in essence.

The place we come to AFTER the surgery vist and the health bombshell has been delivered
To get a hug, steady ourselves and begin to understand *** has just happened to us...:wideyed::woot::arghh:

In a civilised society, THAT is what SHOULD happen....

NOT Just leaves us worrying ourselves stupid,
until WE find the information WE NEED to begin managing and controlling this wretched disease
by hearsay or groping blindly on the Web..

Anyway, raining here in the Capital..
( that always sounds like a broadcast from the Hunger Games, pretty apt, really..LoL)
my day off, so up stupid early AGAIN...as you do...:rolleyes::banghead:

FBG bang on 6.0
picking up some kitchen chairs today, then drilling off the cheese like screws on my rear brake reservoir
that have melted under the pressure of a simple twist of the screwdriver,

so that will be an enjoyable afternoon...:sorry:

Have a good un all.

:D

Last edited:

gennepher

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@gennepher glad you are enjoying the cooler weather and hope Popeye comes in soon. I found your thoughts about restriction of freedom in older age quite emotional. That would bother me too. I hope if that day comes I will be able to bear it.
Have a great Saturday everyone. Stay well, stay safe.

I began crying after I wrote that....but I do have my memories...

>^..^<

Reactions: Viv19

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I began crying after I wrote that....but I do have my memories...

>^..^<
Oh Gennepher I hope my comments didnt cause you any distress, I am really sorry, that would be the last thing I would want. I think as I get older my memories are so precious to me. I see my sons making memories and the cycle is complete. I hope we both have lots of memories yet to make.

gennepher

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Oh Gennepher I hope my comments didnt cause you any distress, I am really sorry, that would be the last thing I would want. I think as I get older my memories are so precious to me. I see my sons making memories and the cycle is complete. I hope we both have lots of memories yet to make.

No you didn’t cause me the distress @PenguinMum
I think it’s also J said he would be there the rest of my life. A promise no one can make. And a couple of days before he died (10 years ago), he said the years he had known me were the best of his life, and that I had taken him on amazing adventures, things he would never have done. He thanked me from the bottom of his heart.
Two days before he died, he bought me a wedding dress, unexpectedly presented it to me, and he never saw it on me. So I am remembering (and crying now, I can’t help it).

The wedding dress is sealed in a box in the garage now. I tried it on after he died. A beautiful cream pure silk. It fitted absolutely perfectly. I have absolutely no idea how he did that...

I am smiling now through tears. That dress is so beautiful...I do take it out from time to time...it still fits, and I swirl around the room...

I have the rest of my life...

I have different things now to do and achieve....

More memories for me, and also for you...

Thank you x

Last edited:
Reactions: HarryBeau and Viv19

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I think it’s also J said he would be there the rest of my life. A promise no one can make. And a couple of days before he died (10 years ago), he said the years he had known me were the best of his life, and that I had taken him on amazing adventures, things he would never have done. He thanked me from the bottom of his heart.
Two days before he died, he bought me a wedding dress, unexpectedly presented it to me, and he never saw it on me. So I am remembering (and crying now, I can’t help it).

The wedding dress is sealed in a box in the garage now. I tried it on after he died. A beautiful cream pure silk. It fitted absolutely perfectly. I have absolutely no idea how he did that...

I am smiling now through tears. That dress is so beautiful...I do take it out from time to time...it still fits, and I swirl around the room...

Thank you x
Gave a hug but the clearest winner for a long time: I have different things now to do and achieve....

Reactions: Viv19

HarryBeau

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
after expressing my disappointment at the lack of information and the miserable treatment of being diagnosed and handed a leaflet, then almost being rushed out of the door in 10 mins flat...........
fire.gif
I agree with all you say jjaark but lets not forget the hapless courses (DESMOND) that sends many of us in the wrong direction...I haven't spoken to anyone yet who has found that course helpful...useful or accurate with the information it dishes out.

Reactions: SaskiaKC

Viv19

Thank you x

A huge hug gennepher for your memories, amazing grit and determination.

Reactions: HarryBeau

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
My meter is German Jirak and gave me a reading of 108 this morning, translates as 6.

Yeah, i can see how that happens.

I think a little part of me just assumed bec in Brighton was the UK.
but then i considered it might elsewhere in the world.

but as you say, probably just a different measure on the meter.

Viv19

I am so pleased I started IF again. I meant to start back after the Christmas holidays but didn't - and now it is nearly the end of July and I have finally got round to it again.

It's a lovely feeling to know that autophagy is working away to repair damage once you have fasted for maybe 14hrs (this is from memory so might not be exactly right).

5.6 this morning after an 18hr fast. So my liver has discovered a bit more stored sugar last night and I am sure I used it all in my 6am before breakfast dog walk. Very pleased we went early as it has got very dark - rain is definitely on the way.

I’ve never thought of it as an 18 hour fast, but that’s basically what I’ve been doing for a few years now. Metformin upset my digestion so much that I decided to skip breakfast (except at weekends when OH and I eat breakfast together). It gave my grumbling gut time to calm down after dinner. I’m quite used to it now, apart from the must-have early morning tea, and sometimes a cwc. It suits me well.