What was your fasting blood glucose? (full on chat)

trick60

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I had a 6.2 on a saintly but later than usual salmon salad. Interesting that the lateness of the meal affects fbs - or at least it does for me whatever the meal consists of.

Monday to Friday I try to eat my evening meal before seven and then probably won’t eat until midday, weekends always throw my routine out, and as @PenguinMum knows cheese on toast is my go to comfort food, although fish and salad is a favourite of mine. Good luck with the keto and IF Krystyna but I wouldn’t punish myself to much trying to get into the fours and stay there, I think my happy place is mid fives where I can vary my diet, maintain my weight ( although I could do with losing a few more pounds), whilst still tipping my hat to the low carb lifestyle.

Reactions: Viv19

HarryBeau

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Morning...still raining here but the cool weather is such a relief...now Harry is no longer here I have to find an alternative form of exercise...I am trying a 'Dance that walk' DVD once all the curtains have been closed & I have mastered the art of profanities quietly...of course 'Plumpy's' absence is still keenly felt however I am slowly & reluctantly getting used to it...woke to a 6.7

Last edited:
Reactions: Viv19 and karen8967

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
@PatsyB sorry to hear you are not good and hope you feel better soon. @pavlosn another amazing picture - the Cypriot Tourist Board is missing its greatest ambassador. Seeing those photos I may even hire a car and leave the hotel complex whilst there in November (may do but like the gym and spa too much), Great news about your scan results. @Krystyna23040 best of luck with IF. and whatever you have been doing the progress in a year proves it works. @karen8967 hope bikkies or other measures work asap. . @trick60 if it ain't broke don't fix- all working for you. @HarrisonK you too re lovely Sunday. @Viv19 yay for the 5s. @dunelm hug for back and need for meds. @PenguinMum you 2 will be fine but never let the sun go down on disagreements.
5.3 today for me - not even going to pretend to like that. About 11 gms carb and 1000+_ cals down on BMR yesterday but Christening of 1 granddaughter, time with the newest and older family members had a good time. A rare (non funeral) reunion with a cousin plus felt Catholic rite of Baptism was far more meaningful than our Anglican one so overall a win. Have a great day.

Last edited:

Krystyna23040

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Good luck with the keto and IF Krystyna but I wouldn’t punish myself to much trying to get into the fours and stay there, I think my happy place is mid fives where I can vary my diet, maintain my weight ( although I could do with losing a few more pounds), whilst still tipping my hat to the low carb lifestyle.
That does sound like a happy place. I think that to get into the 4s I would need to restrict my carbs to 10 and under consistently which would not make me happy because I absolutely love the 20g of carbs I eat at the moment. As I definitely need to do this for the long term I am much more likely to do this if I love the food I am eating.

So thinking about what my goals should be (as I do like having goals) my long term goal is still to stay off the insulin but instead of aiming for an unattainable fbs in the 4s I will aim for 5s. Staying off the insulin is pretty major for me and should remain my main goal.

Then if I get more 4s with IF it will be a bonus.

Debandez

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Monday to Friday I try to eat my evening meal before seven and then probably won’t eat until midday, weekends always throw my routine out, and as @PenguinMum knows cheese on toast is my go to comfort food, although fish and salad is a favourite of mine. Good luck with the keto and IF Krystyna but I wouldn’t punish myself to much trying to get into the fours and stay there, I think my happy place is mid fives where I can vary my diet, maintain my weight ( although I could do with losing a few more pounds), whilst still tipping my hat to the low carb lifestyle.
I'm with you on that one. My hba1c will be my guide. Hoping mysugr app is accurate (mid 30s) and if it is I'm happy with 5s and 6s. Some days keto but mainly low carb

Debandez

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Morning All. 6.5 after Indian meal out last night and no alcohol. No matter how hard I try to choose well it gives me bad numbers. Not repeating in a hurry.
@PatsyB sorry to hear you are not good and hope you feel better soon. @pavlosn another lovely pic who could resist swimming in that water (me obs cant swim lol)! Good news about your scan. @Debandez there you go again! Your way of writing and drawing in you in is magic. What a lovely trip for you all. @Krystyna23040 I admire your determination with IF. @karen8967 take care. @trick60 I get the impression cheese on toast would be your “meal before the gallows”. @HarrisonK ”father of the thread” hope all is good with you.
Have a good Sunday everyone. Me and OH are clearing out the garage which is rammed with stuff. Give it half an hour and we wont be speaking!
Stay well, stay safe.
You say the nicest things x

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
That does sound like a happy place. I think that to get into the 4s I would need to restrict my carbs to 10 and under consistently which would not make me happy because I absolutely love the 20g of carbs I eat at the moment. As I definitely need to do this for the long term I am much more likely to do this if I love the food I am eating.

So thinking about what my goals should be (as I do like having goals) my long term goal is still to stay off the insulin but instead of aiming for an unattainable fbs in the 4s I will aim for 5s. Staying off the insulin is pretty major for me and should remain my main goal.

Nothing to do with me but as an onlooker I think your goal of staying off insulin is absolutely right for you. Delighted for anyone who can continually see non diabetic numbers, eat to their meter and enjoy the diet that requires. Personally, I can only badly manage the first 2 so you are doing way better than me. Congratulations and don't go changing what is obviously the way your body works best.

trick60

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

Happy 4s would be brilliant, but happy 5s are better than miserable 4s any day of the week.

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Happy 4s would be brilliant, but happy 5s are better than miserable 4s any day of the week.
@trick60 what I really like about this forum is the diversity of views on how to manage diabetes. My mindset says all that matters is numbers and how to achieve them without upsetting the delicate ecosystem that is our all round wellness and wellbeing. Good man for your attitude which is probably far better than my own, all that matters is numbers, mindset. Managing my T2 optimally completely overrides any temporary pleasure I would undoubtedly gain from certain inputs. I can absolutely see your view of food as something bigger than functional and would love to work my way back there. Realistically, having been told I was T2 that won't happen in this life.

Last edited:

geefull

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
good afternoon all :)

was 4.9 yesterday and 4.4 today

it's still pleasant but a bit cooler here today thankfully :)

the final day of the gala went well yesterday, after it threw it down in the early morning it cheered up by lunchtime ;)

lots of stalls with crafts and charities plus the usual food choices so I confined myself to buying some fancy cheese to eat for dinner. There were a couple of rides for the kids as well as lots of competitions on the beach and on the harbour wall there were a couple of those blow up enclosures with huge clear balls in that the kids get inside and roll around playing 'dodgems' with each other, good job it wasn't windy :hilarious:

Hope your day is treating you well :)

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@dunelm and @Viv19 y'all forgot to post YouTube links to your instructional videos. :D

@ianpspurs I am off now to Google the Catholic christening rite as you have made it sound very interesting (and I'm assuming the C of E rite is similar to that of of the ECUSA but I am trying to remember Spencer Tracy's advice to Katharine Hepburn in Desk Set: "Never assume.").

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I'd agree fully with @trick60

I'm beginning to think that though there are the highs we all dread, we also have a natural background level that perhaps like blood pressure, has a level where it can cause issues, and a level it's happy running at..and I'd guess s level below that might be achievable, but probably not wise in the long run.

Either way, for me, like @trick60..I think I have a happy limit of around the low 5's to low 6's depending if I've eaten late, had enough sleep, etc... So I've stopped stressing about getting into the 4's.

Debandez

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
In the back of the car on the forum. 4 hour journey. Caught up on my favourite thread and thought I would dip into a few others. There's a few heated conversations going on so I've made a sharp exit and darted back to our pleasant little part of the world. Leave em to it! Almost at hebden bridge now. Grandad has mentioned coffee and cake! Torturous time ahead me thinks!

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
In the back of the car on the forum. 4 hour journey. Caught up on my favourite thread and thought I would dip into a few others. There's a few heated conversations going on so I've made a sharp exit and darted back to our pleasant little part of the world. Leave em to it! Almost at hebden bridge now. Grandad has mentioned coffee and cake! Torturous time ahead me thinks!
Grandad knows best - if he's lived to 90 he is clearly doing something right. Gotta love the guy.

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
@dunelm and @Viv19 y'all forgot to post YouTube links to your instructional videos. :D

@ianpspurs I am off now to Google the Catholic christening rite as you have made it sound very interesting (and I'm assuming the C of E rite is similar to that of of the ECUSA but I am trying to remember Spencer Tracy's advice to Katharine Hepburn in Desk Set: "Never assume.").
Could well have been hugely influenced by the priest. He was at pains to explain exactly what the symbolism of each element meant and his homily was also unpicking the deeper meaning. Loved his analogy of Bella being given a loyalty card with a reward that endures beyond the grave.
upload_2019-7-28_13-29-53.png

Last edited:

Krystyna23040

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Nothing to do with me but as an onlooker I think your goal of staying off insulin is absolutely right for you. Delighted for anyone who can continually see non diabetic numbers, eat to their meter and enjoy the diet that requires. Personally, I can only badly manage the first 2 so you are doing way better than me. Congratulations and don't go changing what is obviously the way your body works best.
I am afraid that you are completely wrong on one thing. It is pretty major. It is that you badly manage your diabetic numbers. You absolutely do not as you consistently do better on your numbers than I do and I would love to have an hba1c as low as yours.

I do agree, though, that I really do enjoy what I am eating.

The dilemma is that I don't eat to my meter. My meter very clearly states that I should should be eating somewhere between 0g and 10g carbs - preferably closer to 0g carbs and numbers are much better

But I actually don't feel that good on that level of carbs. I feel really good between 17g and 20g carbs but the BS isn't so good. I know that other members on this site are absolutely OK with 10 and under but I just can't maintain it.

I am hoping that eventually keto and IF will heal my body enough to be OK on 20g. That may be wishful thinking - I am really hoping it isnt.

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Could well have been hugely influenced by the priest. He was at at pains to explain exactly what the symbolism of each element meant and his homily was also unpicking the deeper meaning. Loved his analogy of Bella being given a loyalty card with a reward that endures beyond the grave.
View attachment 34525

How lovely!

And how lovely, too, are the words of the priest. Thank you for posting the photo and the words. :)

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I still find it hard to believe it happens this way. Things will change for us soon. I have no doubt. Keep the faith my friend. United we stand. I'm excited to read all the articles in the Sun (due to be published August I believe). My interviewer has taken down so much and is squeezing as much as she can in my section and there are many others from DCUK with similar stories. It has millions of readers. I'm so excited at what might be.

Completely opposite advice more or less. DCUK vs DUK. Incredible. Have you ever read a success story from DUK. I haven't. So many from DCUK and they just keep coming.

Mmh... sponsored by a soft drinks company...mmhh:bag: