Old Dog - New HBA1C

On 30 April they did my first blood glucose test. As a result of that test, The doctor diagnosed me with severe Type 2 Diabetes as the HBA1C read 14.3. That is where my journey commenced. One of the first places I turned to was Diabetes UK because with respect to the efforts of the Canadian Diabetes website, they did not seem to be as aggressive in alternative methods of treatment.

You welcomed this Canadian with open arms and I instantly knew I had chosen well. Since then I have quietly poured through the copious studies, personal experiences, successes and failures. I made notes, both mental and physical, and studied recommended readings completely. I also monitored my blood glucose levels twice a day (sometimes 3x's) and made determinations as to what need to change in order to get my A1C below 7.8 at the first three-month measure.

Yesterday afternoon, I visited my doctor for the results. She was delighted that my HBA1C is now at 6.2; so too am I.

Unlike some with T2D, I have not had to concern myself with weight loss, so my regimen has focused on food consumption and exercise. I have been undertaking both with zeal - eliminating sugars completely, removing all harmful carbs; and, fasting. Clearly, along with exercising like a Spartan, it is working.

I cannot claim this as a personal victory simply because I followed in the footsteps of you wonderful, assistive, and sharing people. This is a victory for this group, and you do deserve the praise.

I know my journey is just beginning and I have so much more to learn and experience. With this new A1C under my belt...I am ready to go. The doctor has changed my meds from Janumet XR 50/1000 daily to 1000mg of. Glumetza. The goal is to remove all meds when my Insulin Resistance is no longer an issue.

So, thank you all - for your support, for your practical advice; and, for your sharing of experiences. It has helped considerably and maintained my focus

Denis

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
On 30 April they did my first blood glucose test. As a result of that test, The doctor diagnosed me with severe Type 2 Diabetes as the HBA1C read 14.3. That is where my journey commenced. One of the first places I turned to was Diabetes UK because with respect to the efforts of the Canadian Diabetes website, they did not seem to be as aggressive in alternative methods of treatment.

You welcomed this Canadian with open arms and I instantly knew I had chosen well. Since then I have quietly poured through the copious studies, personal experiences, successes and failures. I made notes, both mental and physical, and studied recommended readings completely. I also monitored my blood glucose levels twice a day (sometimes 3x's) and made determinations as to what need to change in order to get my A1C below 7.8 at the first three-month measure.

Yesterday afternoon, I visited my doctor for the results. She was delighted that my HBA1C is now at 6.2; so too am I.

Unlike some with T2D, I have not had to concern myself with weight loss, so my regimen has focused on food consumption and exercise. I have been undertaking both with zeal - eliminating sugars completely, removing all harmful carbs; and, fasting. Clearly, along with exercising like a Spartan, it is working.

I cannot claim this as a personal victory simply because I followed in the footsteps of you wonderful, assistive, and sharing people. This is a victory for this group, and you do deserve the praise.

I know my journey is just beginning and I have so much more to learn and experience. With this new A1C under my belt...I am ready to go. The doctor has changed my meds from Janumet XR 50/1000 daily to 1000mg of. Glumetza. The goal is to remove all meds when my Insulin Resistance is no longer an issue.

So, thank you all - for your support, for your practical advice; and, for your sharing of experiences. It has helped considerably and maintained my focus

Denis

Excellent stuff

And just to be sure
" One of the first places I turned to was Diabetes UK ...."
Is another site, easily confused until you start looking at the advise...

Here is a subtle difference, with a CO.UK
A Little different in spelling
BUT A world of difference in
Effective treatment for T2...;):D

Reactions: DawnOfTheZed
Excellent stuff

And just to be sure
" One of the first places I turned to was Diabetes UK ...."
Is another site, easily confused until you start looking at the advise...

Here is a subtle difference, with a CO.UK
A Little different in spelling
BUT A world of difference in
Effective treatment for T2...;):D
I stand corrected and I apologize for the faux pas. It will not happen again - although age precludes one from guaranteeing anything! :banghead:

Reactions: Prem51

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Been there done that my friend

Understood, and my reply was a tad tongue in cheek ;)

Have a good un
And great work so far

Last edited:

Prem51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Well done on the HbA1c reduction @Silverback-381! :) People on here can give advice and share experience but it was down to you to put it into practice.
Thanks for sharing your progress, it's always inspiring especially for people just starting out on their journey.

Reactions: DawnOfTheZed

ziggy_w

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Denis

Wow, what a huge reduction in HbA1c. You put in a lot of hard work, but it definitely was worth it. Really well done.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Very well done! Yes this forum saved me from a totally different outcome with my health too. However you put in the hard work and determination to continue, keep it up, I’m sure you will.

Edit for typo

Last edited:

Rustytypin

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Well done on your excellent result. I remember your early posts and I know it must have been hard for you. Once again - WELL DONE YOU!!
P.S. I found that "other site" too at first, it's not as good as this one, is it?

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Amazing result well done. I’m very pleased you found the right information to turn things round for you and you put it into action and earnt your great results in a fairly short time frame. Congratulations on your achievements way to go.