1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2020 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Old Dog - New HBA1C

Discussion in 'Success Stories and Testimonials' started by Silverback-381, Aug 20, 2019.

1. Silverback-381

Silverback-381 · Member

On 30 April they did my first blood glucose test. As a result of that test, The doctor diagnosed me with severe Type 2 Diabetes as the HBA1C read 14.3. That is where my journey commenced. One of the first places I turned to was Diabetes UK because with respect to the efforts of the Canadian Diabetes website, they did not seem to be as aggressive in alternative methods of treatment.

You welcomed this Canadian with open arms and I instantly knew I had chosen well. Since then I have quietly poured through the copious studies, personal experiences, successes and failures. I made notes, both mental and physical, and studied recommended readings completely. I also monitored my blood glucose levels twice a day (sometimes 3x's) and made determinations as to what need to change in order to get my A1C below 7.8 at the first three-month measure.

Yesterday afternoon, I visited my doctor for the results. She was delighted that my HBA1C is now at 6.2; so too am I.

Unlike some with T2D, I have not had to concern myself with weight loss, so my regimen has focused on food consumption and exercise. I have been undertaking both with zeal - eliminating sugars completely, removing all harmful carbs; and, fasting. Clearly, along with exercising like a Spartan, it is working.

I cannot claim this as a personal victory simply because I followed in the footsteps of you wonderful, assistive, and sharing people. This is a victory for this group, and you do deserve the praise.

I know my journey is just beginning and I have so much more to learn and experience. With this new A1C under my belt...I am ready to go. The doctor has changed my meds from Janumet XR 50/1000 daily to 1000mg of. Glumetza. The goal is to remove all meds when my Insulin Resistance is no longer an issue.

So, thank you all - for your support, for your practical advice; and, for your sharing of experiences. It has helped considerably and maintained my focus

Denis

• Winner Winner x 16
    • Like Like x 2
  2. jjraak

jjraak Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Excellent stuff

And just to be sure
    " One of the first places I turned to was Diabetes UK ...."
    Is another site, easily confused until you start looking at the advise...

Here is a subtle difference, with a CO.UK
    A Little different in spelling
    BUT A world of difference in
    Effective treatment for T2...;):D

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  3. Silverback-381

Silverback-381 · Member

I stand corrected and I apologize for the faux pas. It will not happen again - although age precludes one from guaranteeing anything! :banghead:

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  4. jjraak

jjraak Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Been there done that my friend

Understood, and my reply was a tad tongue in cheek ;)

Have a good un
    And great work so far

• Friendly Friendly x 3
    #4 jjraak, Aug 20, 2019 at 11:56 AM
    Last edited: Aug 20, 2019
  5. Prem51

Prem51 Type 2 · Expert

Well done on the HbA1c reduction @Silverback-381! :) People on here can give advice and share experience but it was down to you to put it into practice.
    Thanks for sharing your progress, it's always inspiring especially for people just starting out on their journey.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 1
  6. JoKalsbeek

JoKalsbeek Type 2 (in remission!) · Well-Known Member

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
  7. ziggy_w

ziggy_w Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Wow, what a huge reduction in HbA1c. You put in a lot of hard work, but it definitely was worth it. Really well done.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  8. bulkbiker

bulkbiker Type 2 · Oracle

Excellent news @Silverback-381 many congratulations both for the result and for taking control of your own health.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  9. Rachox

Rachox Type 2 (in remission!) · Moderator
    Staff Member

Very well done! Yes this forum saved me from a totally different outcome with my health too. However you put in the hard work and determination to continue, keep it up, I’m sure you will.

Edit for typo

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    #9 Rachox, Aug 20, 2019 at 1:57 PM
    Last edited: Aug 20, 2019
  10. Rustytypin

Rustytypin Prediabetes · Well-Known Member

Well done on your excellent result. I remember your early posts and I know it must have been hard for you. Once again - WELL DONE YOU!!
    P.S. I found that "other site" too at first, it's not as good as this one, is it?

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  11. enzina

enzina LADA · Well-Known Member

That's amazing, congratulations!

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. shelley262

shelley262 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Amazing result well done. I’m very pleased you found the right information to turn things round for you and you put it into action and earnt your great results in a fairly short time frame. Congratulations on your achievements way to go.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. copilost

copilost Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Denis you are a real gentleman, also .......YOU ROCK (said Bill and Ted style)

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook