What have you eaten today? (Low carb forum)

D

Deleted member 308541

Lunch yesterday: Liquid one at the bowls club, free Iron Jack beer was on tap, Morton Bay Bugs.
Dinner: Barbequed rump steak, bouloumi salad .
Breakfast: Usual omelette, bacon, tomatoes, spudlite.

Drinks: Black coffee no sugar or grease, beer, water.

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
Dry pasta gives me mild RH but sauce corrects it. The same before I was diagnosed and lived like a student.

Definately not what I eat but the amount compared to protein for me. Too much protein though and my bg rise.

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Wednesday's food from Fenland herewith. B= decaf tea - 2 mugs over a couple of hours but only starbucks venti size and no sweeteners - first big change since pre #hospitalgate. Staggered about walking the remaining dog for a decent walk then had 2 buttered slices of Schneiderbrot found during freezer clearance. Off for pre op assessment then home for latish evening meal of chicken, mixed veg followed by 2 scoops Oppo salted caramel and 10 cal jelly. Somewhere along the line I had maybe 60 gms cheddar. This morning's bg was 5.7 so finger in the dyke not very effective but he is making an effort him. Random test during pre op was 5,4 with acu check which I still think is sub optimal but since my pulse rate suggested I was flat out sprinting ( absurd question "why don't you like hospitals?) maybe diet is doing something.

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@ianpspurs I dont know how long you will be in hospital but it might be worth supplying some of you own food. Wishing you all the very best.

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
@ianpspurs I dont know how long you will be in hospital but it might be worth supplying some of you own food. Wishing you all the very best.
Thanks @PenguinMum Projected stay likely to be 2 nights max with most of day 1 procedure and coming round. Own food parcel already planned and having had 1 stay I have an idea of safest choices. Thanks for the thoughts though.

Reactions: Viv19 and maglil55

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Wheeeee! My cakes have FINALLY appeared.

Am now the proud owner of

2 x LC mars bars
2 x LC snickers bars

2 x LC key lime squares
2 x LC cinnamon rolls
2 x sticky toffee puds
2 x golden syrup puds

To be honest, the ones in green will be going down Mr B's hatch, since they don't really appeal to me.
I will be snaffling the red ones.

Haven't tasted any of them yet, but intend to eat half a mars bar with my lunch, just to see wot it is like...

May not provide any pics, since the cellophane packaging, the summer heat, and the fact the Fragile Keep Upright label was on the bottom of the box has led to a certain reduction in visual appeal. However, they are all still v edible, and fridgeable, and freezeable.

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Evening all. A bit behind (again).

@ianpspurs hope all goes well at the hospital. Horrid places.

@Brunneria looking forward to cake updates.

Finally a carnivorous, OMAD day after far too many days off piste, including yesterday. Too much food to admit to yesterday, but includes almond butter, cream, lazy mousse as well as bacon, eggs and cheese.

Today’s dinner was aged ribeye steak with halloumi fries.

BC12C65C-3F4B-4C4A-B156-17F3B7561F4E.jpeg

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Evening all. A bit behind (again).

@ianpspurs hope all goes well at the hospital. Horrid places.

@Brunneria looking forward to cake updates.

Finally a carnivorous, OMAD day after far too many days off piste, including yesterday. Too much food to admit to yesterday, but includes almond butter, cream, lazy mousse as well as bacon, eggs and cheese.

Today’s dinner was aged ribeye steak with halloumi fries.

View attachment 35289
Thanks for the good wishes. Hopefully,home for NL derby and a draw just to spread the lurve

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Actually I did hope for better yesterday, since my total calories only amounted to 435 and the carbs were pretty low as well, and I was a mite disappointed that BG only got down to 6.3 (but rose again to 7.5 before bed for some unknown reason).
Today I had only tea until 1430; I was waiting around for my lady who cleans my floors, all day until 1300, so didn't eat anything. I did give up and started cooking my meal just before she arrived.
That meal was the lamb that I braised a day or so ago and some cauliflower and courgettes, steamed together. I didn't measure the calories but there was about 30g of carb in the cauliflower and about 20 g in the courgette. That's quite a lot, I suppose.
Later I'll have some strawberries and cream. and that will be it. Calories won't be too low what with the lamb and the cream.
I'm not hoping for any dramatic difference in BG or weight but I was hoping that the first fast day was indicative of what might happen if I continued. It obviously wasn't. Has anyone else had this experience? Or is it me just being "weird" again?

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Reactions: DJC3 and maglil55

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Wheeeee! My cakes have FINALLY appeared.

Am now the proud owner of

2 x LC mars bars
2 x LC snickers bars

2 x LC key lime squares
2 x LC cinnamon rolls
2 x sticky toffee puds
2 x golden syrup puds

To be honest, the ones in green will be going down Mr B's hatch, since they don't really appeal to me.
I will be snaffling the red ones.

Haven't tasted any of them yet, but intend to eat half a mars bar with my lunch, just to see wot it is like...

May not provide any pics, since the cellophane packaging, the summer heat, and the fact the Fragile Keep Upright label was on the bottom of the box has led to a certain reduction in visual appeal. However, they are all still v edible, and fridgeable, and freezeable.
I've missed something - where do these come from?

mouseee

Yesterday was awful. I ate crisps and although I seem to tolerate Kettle Chips I certainly don't tolerate the Aldi version! Spiked, crashed and had the headache from hell. I do not want that again so crisps off the menu.

Today better,
Discovered that Aldi nut bar things have less than 6 carbs and feel like a treat. Had one for breakfast as back to work after the summer and need to build a new LC routine.

Lunch was some stilton with a slice high protein bread with celary.

Dinner, roast chicken with broccoli. And... I ate the lovely crispy chicken skin which I have always avoided in the past. Plus I now have loads to eat tomorrow.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I've missed something - where do these come from?

From here:
https://lowcarbandketobakery.co.uk/

I am, so far, witholding judgement.

I have eaten one of the snickers bars, which was very soft and not at all snickers-like
and had a bite of the cinnamon roll, which is lovely and cinnamony, and kind of wholewheaty, although declared to be gluten free. It has made me very thirsty.

Will see what the others are like, but frankly, my body prefers meat nowadays. Sweet stuff and cakey stuff is no longer something that feels like food to me, which is a pleasant surprise. Rather like how my attitude changed to those stinky brassicas.

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Bed 5.3 FBG 6.5. Decided to cancel my Aqua today as I'm still clearing the other bedrooms and I had to go shopping for the boys dinner and I had been instructed they wanted tortellini (meat filled) with a cheese sauce (not the one I usually make - gruyere/cream/black pepper) but the one I make for macaroni is fine. Oh and put peas in the sauce too. Then oven bake to get a crispy, cheesy top! My hairdresser was coming too as my hair was getting too long. One good thing about operation gutting/clean up is OMAD is easy. I'm so hot all I want is icy water.
B. TAG with ADOC
L. Nothing
D. Couple of slices of mortadella, 3 gouda and chorizo rollitos. Knocked together a Cauliflower Rice Risotto.
2 generous portions

300g cauliflower rice
1 ball mozzarella di buffalo
25g pecorino
Finely chopped onion
Good mix of roughly chopped wild mushrooms - I used chanterelle, shiitake, brown button - large bowl
30g tenderstem broccoli I had in the fridge
Parsley
Dash double cream
Salt/pepper.
3/4 pint vegetable stock (chicken would work but would prefer mushroom stock).

Soften the chopped onion in Flora Cuisine in a covered wok. Add the mushroom mix , season and fry for a few mins. Add the broccoli (I blanched it) or whatever other green veggies you have. Fry a few mins more add the cauliflower rice and keep mixing for a few mins. Season to taste. Treat it like arborio rice now - gradually add the stock and reduce. It doesn't absorb as well as rice so I used a high heat. Add the parsley with the last of the stock.
Once the stock is absorbed add the pecorino and mix through. Then add the shredded ball of mozzarella di buffalo and stir until melted. If needed add a little double cream. The cauliflower rice lacks the creaminess off arborio rice so the mozzarella and cream helps. I also think using burrata instead of buffalo mozzarella would add to the creaminess. I'd also prefer mushroom stock. It was strange, the more I ate the better it tasted.
Chocolate chia pudding with raspberries and I'm now munching cherries. May be OMAD but it's a big OMAD.
My deliciously guilt free stuff is on the way. Yay!

Last edited:

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Yesterday was awful. I ate crisps and although I seem to tolerate Kettle Chips I certainly don't tolerate the Aldi version! Spiked, crashed and had the headache from hell. I do not want that again so crisps off the menu.

Today better,
Discovered that Aldi nut bar things have less than 6 carbs and feel like a treat. Had one for breakfast as back to work after the summer and need to build a new LC routine.

Lunch was some stilton with a slice high protein bread with celary.

Dinner, roast chicken with broccoli. And... I ate the lovely crispy chicken skin which I have always avoided in the past. Plus I now have loads to eat tomorrow.
I can recommend M&S Serrano ham crisps or their chorizo or milano salami crisps. Low carb and they satisfy the crisp longing. Or you can make them. I make the salami ones in the microwave. Lay salami slices on a sheet of kitchen towel then cover with another sheet of kitchen towel. How long you zap them for depends on your microwave. I find between 1.5 and 2 mins. They crisp as they cool.

Reactions: mouseee and DJC3

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi all
Breakfast bacon and egg
Lunch cheese, celery and a few walnuts followed by 100% choc
Dinner two lamb chops, cauliflower cheese and raita with glass dry wine followed by sf jelly a few berries and yoghurt.
Went back to dentists today as wanted to find out more about why I’d been charged so much yesterday - a week after I’d paid a bill for exactly the same amount, especially as this week I was only in dentists two mins yesterday with a quick cementing the crown back! Last week saw hygienist and dentists, there for a while and paid big bill. Especially as it was the hygienist treatment that loosened the crown! Found out today that a mistake had been made they shouldn’t have charged me at all and they had accidentally recharged the initial charge so got a refund - that felt good! Pleased I queried it but it felt odd! Always worth checking! I felt a bit shocked yesterday but feel better now I’ve sorted it.