What was your fasting blood glucose? (full on chat)

HarryBeau

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Morning...up at 04:30 this morning after an 11:30pm bedtime (and a short afternoon snooze)...had a good sleep despite Frankie takin more space on the bed than he should of...he's not allowed on the bed TBH but in the end I had to concede if I wanted to get any sleep...he goes home either this evening or tomorrow...his parents will b back from their break today & if his 'dad' has the energy no doubt he will whizz up the motorway to reclaim his boy...had a full breakfast this morning I was starving...usually it just high protein toast needed more...so bacon sausage & eggs on seeded toast...lets see if I can manage to skip lunch & possibly dinner...woke to a 6.4

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Bright sunshine and the promise of a few more days of summer lite in the fens. Of the alternatives on offer from my meter this morning I went with the 5.7. Not a vintage but on offer and for the price what can one expect? @jjraak some sense in your idea of the great disrupter underlying this period - events are stronger than the plans of man as Bizzy said. @HarrisonK, I would say you have an excellent mind and if you desire chips from time to time J*DI.
Enjoy your day folks and I hope all the shock and awe in your lives comes from the RWC.

Reactions: karen8967

karen8967

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
5.8 for me
FB_IMG_1558096106528.jpg

dunelm

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
You'd think that after eating slow roast pork and crackling (yesterday) that I'd awaken to some decent numbers. Nope... 6.1 it is, I have a good mind to have chips ;)
Still a decent reading - did you eat a whole hog roast?

Reactions: UserABC2021

dunelm

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Up early, sun is shining, tea is brewed, it’s the weekend; so far, so good.

The wonder wheel of a weekend with family and the prospect of some hill walking produced a 5.1 at 0630

Granddaughter number one (14 years old) stayed over last night - it’s that time when children are turning into adults and, can we just say, disputes with parents sometimes happen.
Anyhow - sanity quickly restored - mental health of our offspring is so important - my childhood was so much simpler and free of pressure. We don’t ask - just provide a safe haven, some food and a cooch up with a blanket on the sofa.

Have a great day if you can, hope the weekend is good to you.

Reactions: karen8967

geefull

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
good morning all :)

4.2 today

we brought mum's little dog home with us overnight to give her dinner and two or three short walks during the evening (so we could see if her 'tummy' had returned to 'normal' activity) so when I got up to the bathroom during the night she wanted out too, all I can say is at least I get to stay in the house :D

charity shop today for me so mr. gee will be doing the morning walk and will drop her off with his mum around lunchtime ;) Suzie is, thankfully, much livelier now and showing more interest in things. She may be mum's little dog but we do the walking and provide some of her food and do the vet visits because mum isn't as mobile now as she was, so we feel that she's at least half ours and definitely part of the family notwithstanding :)

mr gee still has the lingering effects of his horrible cold so perhaps the extra walk in the sea air will do him good too :hilarious:

Hope you day treats you kindly :)

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Morning All. 6.7 today after cutting back on food and wine yesterday. But I am now sure that the mosquito bites have caused higher BG. Used repellant but they still gorged on my right leg, never touched the left. When the bites start to fade they leave a big bruise so clearly their venom gets into the blood. We were in the same area last year and didnt have any issue with them. It has taken me several days to figure it out, if I had half a brain I would dangerous! Lol. Last day today but we will enjoy it. Will be glad to pick up Bobs and Daisy on Sunday morning.
Hope you are all good. Enjoy your weekend. Stay well stay safe.

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
@geefull another great fbg and estimable day. @dunelm that wheel is turning in some mighty fine stats of late but what in tarnation is a cooch? @PenguinMum hug for the bites. Enjoy your last day and the reunion with the gals (?) @HarrisonK your friend will be fine with e.g. the Costco suckling pig (other suckling pigs are available) but should avoid a full on farrowing sow. Hope that helps.

Last edited:

johnpol

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Morning all from a foggy North, it has been a strange week, it was my friends funeral (I didn't really want to go as I still haven't processed it but I went) it was also the year anniversary of my dog Jacko passing we fought a long hard battle to get him through aspiration Pneumonia but ultimately he didn't make, he was a rescue from the Edward Foundation found abandoned on the streets of Wigan in a terrible state, my wife is still devastated by his loss. Me and doomy have entered a truce, it must be feeling sorry for me as it gave me a 6.1 this morning, anyway enough of my woes its only Bloomin FRIDAY a weekend full of wine, song and RUGBY!! cant wait for it as an explayer I will be tackling, clearing out and generally being a nuisance (my wife thinks it's really funny) Enjoy your weekend everyone.

here is a picture of my boy Jacko just because, well he's a miss.
DSC_0478 (2).JPG

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Awake nearly all night. But decided to stay in bed until gone 4 am.

Just done my fasting blood glucose.
Shock. For me.
I have never had a reading as low as the 5’s yet. In four years (?) of taking readings.

It appears to be mainly the very low carbs (under 20 carbs) that is doing it. Probably a few other lifestyle things help too.

A friend had a car accident yesterday on the way to our art group. The person in front of her suddenly did a dead stop, as she was turning left but didn’t indicate. So friend’s bonnet was concertina’d. Her’s was a brand new car. The other car was an old car and very little damage on the boot. A couple of dents. Friend took photos. Also it was obvious from friend’s photos one of this person’s back tyres was low.

It happened at turn we all at the art group take in our cars to get to art group. So it could have happened to any one of us.

Friend was okay. Obviously badly shocked. So art group didn’t exactly take place for art. And driving home, I am uncomfortably very aware of the other cars on the road. I just went to sleep a few hours when I got home. Maybe that is part why I couldn’t sleep last night. I don’t have to go out today, so cat Popeye will ‘make’ me catch up on sleep.

I suppose I was thinking, and we all were at art group as well, how things can change in an instant.

There are clear night skies, and sprinkled stars out there. Sun is supposed to be blazing again like yesterday, so I am going to make a coffee now and go and sit on my thatched swing when it is dawn. Actually I might go out now. There is little light pollution here, and I love watching the night sky.

Have a good day.
Hug for the shock from your friend's accident but amazing fbg today rewarding all the research, care and effort you bring to managing your diabetes. Shining example to us all.

Last edited:

Debandez

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
5.4 after a late dinner. Back late from Manchester. Dashing fir granddaughter so quick copy and paste from social media.

'What a brilliant day today. Apart from traffic congestion on the way there and back (what's new).

My hero Dr David Unwin gave an incredible talk. Local Dr that is moving mountains for diabetics, so much so he is sending back unused money to the government. @£57,000 this last time. He has clocked up his 68th diabetic patient in remission in a relatively short space of time. Encourages blood glucose monitors . Highlighted how his blood sugar spiked to over 10 from just 1 banana from a graph from his libre sensor (a sensor is put on your arm and it tracks your blood sugar on your mobile, genius, I've got one). He is diabetic himself. In remission obviously. Encouraging to hear more and more Drs and HCPs giving lchf as an option instead of 'here take these meds, dont finger prick, we will do a blood test in 6 months, read these leaflets, they include info on the eatwell plate, eat lots of starchy carbs they give you energy!'. He himself followed this pattern with his pts years ago. Putting pts on insulin broke his heart as insulin is a fat storage hormone. It tells fat cells to store fat, and prevents stored fat from being broken down. Lots of weight gained as a result. Patients can then become depressed and have other issues to on top of the t2d! Now he would advise lchf and steer clear of insulin wherever possible.

It's a similar scenario when we are insulin resistant prior to becoming diabetic, too much insulin swimming around in our body. Makes us put weight on. It's what happened to me.

Andy Bishop too, a patient's journey, now helping big style in the community. Dr Joe Delaney brought me to tears, mindfulness. His own story is a real tear jerker.

And from diabetes.co.uk the co founder Arjun Panasar who I finally got to meet . and Charlotte summers their chief operating officer, one of the best speakers ever! At one point I got a bit of a shock as I saw myself pop up on screen. And I got a mention for being on This Morning! Popping in to head office to chat some more as not enough time today.

And many more inspiring speakers. I came away with way more than I went with.

The hotel put on a wonderful low carb lunch. Excellent in fact. Well impressed. I didnt have to feel awkward asking for cream for my coffee! Massive jug flowing all day. Complimentary drink in the bar at the end of the day for more networking time WITH CHEESE BOARD.

Attachments

• IMG-20190919-WA0001.jpg
    IMG-20190919-WA0001.jpg
    101.2 KB · Views: 214
  • IMG-20190919-WA0003.jpg
    IMG-20190919-WA0003.jpg
    150 KB · Views: 225

alf_Josiah

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People that point out my spelling mistakes
Good Morening , sorry must rush. Life, the universe and everything is knocking at my door. Must go.
A well behaved 6.7 this morning.
Have a good day folks. If you can't then look for the silver lining in every cloud then steal it hehehe.
Oh tihs that knocking at my door was the straight jacket gang agai.......

UserABC2021

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@HarrisonK your friend will be fine with e.g. the Costco suckling pig (other suckling pigs are available) but should avoid a full on farrowing sow. Hope that helps.

I shall take you at your word sir as you have been my inspiration since day 1. Suckling pig only from now on, whilst the incident does highlight my total lack of understanding for this T2 thingy. I shall persevere :)

Krystyna23040

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
5.1 this morning. Yesterday - for most of the day BS lurking between 4.1 and 4.4.
BS have been lower since I cut down my consumption of double cream to around 120 ml a day this week.

Of course it may have absolutely nothing to do with cutting down on the double cream but I read in a Gary Taubes book that some people do experience a higher BS when they have double cream. I must admit the coffee does taste better with less cream.

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
5.1 this morning. Yesterday - for most of the day BS lurking between 4.1 and 4.4.
BS have been lower since I cut down my consumption of double cream to around 120 ml a day this week.

Of course it may have absolutely nothing to do with cutting down on the double cream but I read in a Gary Taubes book that some people do experience a higher BS when they have double cream. I must admit the coffee does taste better with less cream.
Fantastic fbg and readings yesterday. 120 mls of double cream is a cut down - wow. Just how much coffee do you drink to use that much? Your results are amazing and that little snippet shows just how far my tastes handicap me in managing T2.:banghead::banghead:

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
A nice round 6 on the meter this morning, and a nice round 60 degrees outside = 16 degrees C. The Google Doodle this morning is a rugby scrum. If I am up 'til my usual late hour tonight I will try to tune in for Australia v Fiji.

@dunelm your 14yo is a fortunate grandchild. I only knew one of my grandparents, and the closest he ever lived to us was 300 miles.

Krystyna23040

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Fantastic fbg and readings yesterday. 120 mls of double cream is a cut down - wow. Just how much coffee do you drink to use that much? Your results are amazing and that little snippet shows just how far my tastes handicap me in managing T2.:banghead::banghead:
Actually, what I didn't say in my post was that I was carefully measuring 3 tsps of cream into my cup and the bit I missed out was that I was also carefully measuring at least 4 or 5 teaspoon which didn't go into my coffee - I do love double cream and it tasted delicious straight from the spoon while I waited for the machine to do the coffee.

So although not that many cups of coffee but rather a lot of cream. So now only 1 or 2 tsps on each cup and am severely limiting the extra that I pour onto a spoon.

I have known that too much double cream possibly affects my blood sugars but have been reluctant to do anything about it as I so love the taste of double cream.

So I am a perfect example of someone who's tastes handicap them in managing their T2.

Reactions: jjraak