What was your fasting blood glucose? (full on chat)

UserABC2021

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
6.2 this morning and it is a day of driving hither and yon for her Ladyship.

The new lawnmower arrived yesterday and sat there with its newly arrived puppy-dog look. I did tell it that we would not be friends, that it should regard me as Sisyphus and itself as but one of the boulders involved in my never-ending struggle against Nature. I'm sure its handle drooped.

I hope you all have a great weekend. If you are out and about we may pass one another, remaining unaware and unacknowledged, such is life :)

Debandez

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I won't hold my breath Debs...T2's are rarely allowed testing strips on prescription much less a Libre...many cannot afford to fund the strips & meter so the Libre is way out of their financial reach... as much as I want to I cannot agree with Dr Unwin on that point...it sounds great but the practical reality is a long way off unfortunately.
The way I look at it is more and more of us are self funding them. And proving that even tighter control can be managed. And sharing that info. But type 1s will be proving it without us anyway. More and more getting wind of them. That said, I went into a small Well chemist near me and they hadn't even heard of libre sensors!!! That made me sad. But the big ones do.

Re dr unwin. Lots of people listening to him. NICE have included his infographs. He does talks all over. People are listening to what he has to say. I'm not giving up hope. And I for another one will be confirming this at my next 'gig' (soon to be announced haha). Shouting from the rafters (well the stage at least).

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
6.2 this morning and it is a day of driving hither and yon for her Ladyship.

The new lawnmower arrived yesterday and sat there with its newly arrived puppy-dog look. I did tell it that we would not be friends, that it should regard me as Sisyphus and itself as but one of the boulders involved in my never-ending struggle against Nature. I'm sure its handle drooped.

I hope you all have a great weekend. If you are out and about we may pass one another, remaining unaware and unacknowledged, such is life :)
New lawnmower - if only I lived near you I would be like a pig in whatsit cutting your lawns and you could use the time saved in your den. Have a good day.

Last edited:

Debandez

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Morning all from a foggy North, it has been a strange week, it was my friends funeral (I didn't really want to go as I still haven't processed it but I went) it was also the year anniversary of my dog Jacko passing we fought a long hard battle to get him through aspiration Pneumonia but ultimately he didn't make, he was a rescue from the Edward Foundation found abandoned on the streets of Wigan in a terrible state, my wife is still devastated by his loss. Me and doomy have entered a truce, it must be feeling sorry for me as it gave me a 6.1 this morning, anyway enough of my woes its only Bloomin FRIDAY a weekend full of wine, song and RUGBY!! cant wait for it as an explayer I will be tackling, clearing out and generally being a nuisance (my wife thinks it's really funny) Enjoy your weekend everyone.

here is a picture of my boy Jacko just because, well he's a miss.View attachment 35756

What a sad time for you both.

Reactions: gennepher

gennepher

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Wow. Anyone as dedicated as you you to learning all they can about taming this beast deserves all the success you are having. Enjoyagreat day in your garden/ studio? and with your cat.

Thank you so much @ianpspurs
:)
In garden now, on my thatched swing (I shall have to photo my thatched swing oneday so you can all understand why I like it so much), in the sun with cat, feet on a cushion, and swinging away...that's my exercise ;)

geefull

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
good morning all :)

4.3 today

much stair climbing exercise yesterday at the charity shop ;)

It's a lovely looking bright and sunny day here after a chilly start this morning :) We need to go out and do some shopping for the weekend and I haven't christened tomorrow dinner at mum's yet.

Hopefully we'll get a nice walk later (and not just the one behind the shopping trolley :hilarious:)

Hope your day treats you well :)

HarryBeau

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I'm not giving up hope.
I certainly haven't given up hope Debs but the reality is there are many who cannot afford to self fund a Libre...they are given out on prescription to T1's in many areas( but not all) and that was a hard fought battle...we haven't even had recognition from our HCP's that testing is beneficial for T2's much less any hope of strips being provided for us to be able to control/monitor our diabetes...again for most it's self funding for those that can afford it...we need to win the those basic battles they are important and essential in good management of T2...those are the areas I would like to see some concentration given to...the Libre is way off for T2's ATM unless you can afford it....sound bytes are all well & good but more ground work is needed.

Debandez

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Awake nearly all night. But decided to stay in bed until gone 4 am.

Just done my fasting blood glucose.
Shock. For me.
I have never had a reading as low as the 5’s yet. In four years (?) of taking readings.

It appears to be mainly the very low carbs (under 20 carbs) that is doing it. Probably a few other lifestyle things help too.

A friend had a car accident yesterday on the way to our art group. The person in front of her suddenly did a dead stop, as she was turning left but didn’t indicate. So friend’s bonnet was concertina’d. Her’s was a brand new car. The other car was an old car and very little damage on the boot. A couple of dents. Friend took photos. Also it was obvious from friend’s photos one of this person’s back tyres was low.

It happened at turn we all at the art group take in our cars to get to art group. So it could have happened to any one of us.

Friend was okay. Obviously badly shocked. So art group didn’t exactly take place for art. And driving home, I am uncomfortably very aware of the other cars on the road. I just went to sleep a few hours when I got home. Maybe that is part why I couldn’t sleep last night. I don’t have to go out today, so cat Popeye will ‘make’ me catch up on sleep.

I suppose I was thinking, and we all were at art group as well, how things can change in an instant.

There are clear night skies, and sprinkled stars out there. Sun is supposed to be blazing again like yesterday, so I am going to make a coffee now and go and sit on my thatched swing when it is dawn. Actually I might go out now. There is little light pollution here, and I love watching the night sky.

Have a good day.
I meant to add well done on your blood glucose management. You are going great guns there.

Reactions: jjraak

Debandez

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I certainly haven't given up hope Debs but the reality is there are many who cannot afford to self fund a Libre...they are given out on prescription to T1's in many areas( but not all) and that was a hard fought battle...we haven't even had recognition from our HCP's that testing is beneficial for T2's much less any hope of strips being provided or us being able to control...again for most it's self funding for those that can afford...we need to win the those basic battles they are important and essential in good management of T2...those are the areas I would like to see some concentration given to...the Libre is way off for T2's ATM unless you can afford it....sound bytes are all well & good but more ground work is needed.

It's crazy isnt it. Having the wherewithal to manage your bloods really well in the palm of your hand yet they discourage it. Money is the root of all evil.

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hola de Espana...el ultimo tiempre. 6.6 and the mozzies are still going, they will follow me to boarding I’m sure. Ate fish, Iberico ham, salad, 6 or so chips here and there and one scoop ice cream twice, red wine, all same intake as last year when I was sub 5 all the time but no mosquitoes. My poor legs are bruised and it has been a lovely time with the family but am ready for home now.
Have a great weekend one and all. Stay well, stay safe.

gennepher

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
New lawnmower - if I only I lived near you I would be like a pig in whatsit cutting your lawns and you could use the time saved in your den. Have a good day.

:)
Myself I cannot imagine someone loving cutting lawns, but I can see it could be therapeutic. My cousin used to love driving his lawnmower all over his massive farm and orchards. He was away in a world of his own...

He has died now 10 years ago, but when I go back to look, he is still 'driving' around all the grass on his lawnmower, and I smile.

I got rid of lawns here, and now have a nature reserve front and back...to the 'delight' of my neighbours. And my reward was amazing wildlife of every description, which I am watching now...

All I have to do is defend my garden from the neighbour who regularly appears at my front door with his chainsaw...

Reactions: jjraak

HarryBeau

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Money is the root of all evil.
Not necessarily the core problem Debs...we have/are regularly vilified in the press labelled as somehow self deserving of our condition...there has to be some recognition of the good work that can be/ is being done...we're overlooked...scorned...blamed...in some instances ridiculed & patronised that's what we need to stop...the CCG's have far too much control over who deserves what...the useless courses...the failed advice...so much money is wasted on ineffective treatment & advice & those that misuse public funds are rarely called to account for it...we are dismissed by so many HCP's that's what we need to stop.

Debandez

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
5.3 today no dips below 3.9 in the night showing on my libre.

I've realised that when I have salads my readings are lower and I do dip in the night. I think I've sussed it.....NOT!!!

Quick breaky then painting today. Some outside I'm thinking as it's just too beautiful a day to miss.

Happy Saturday to all

alf_Josiah

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People that point out my spelling mistakes
No time for greetings, Mrs J has stuck her foot down and ordered me and me's into town to purchase new underwear. My mates chaos and mayhem have run orf.

A 5.4 this morning. Underwear shopping grrrrr

Avoid Reading.....

Last edited:

gennepher

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
1E7D03F4-7881-49C5-A7A1-A6EEF5D05EF2.jpeg
Just taken a photo of my thatched swing.
It is heavy wood, comfortable, and massive.
J bought it when I moved here in beginning of 2000's.
It had a beautiful waterproof reed thatch, but the high sea winds wrecked that.
I couldn't remotely afford to repair it professionally, it was in the hundreds...
It had been waterproof underneath, so I covered the wrecked thatch in tarpaulin £6 from Lidl) about 6 years ago, and to make it more beautiful and to give an impression of thatch on top of it, I used that heather screening (about £20) you buy from garden centres.

So, this is my beautiful thatched swing :)
It doubles as an eating place, an office as well (my WiFi is mobile!).
I watch the wildlife.
I watch and identify aeroplanes and helicopters (and private ones), and the airbus almost daily that takes off from the factory near me.
Heaven....

Popeye is asleep on the far end, you can see his white nose.
You may just make out my two red dragons...
My garden is an amazing, magical, mysterious place...

Reactions: karen8967