Current NHS dietary advice for diabetes.....

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi,

From personal experience eggs irritate the prostate and add to the increase of UTI's. You don't want to go there...
I dont doubt that that is your experience.

However, its not the experience of others. There is no recorded link to your issues in medical research. I have not, personally, heard of a link.

We are all different. I find it helps, when posting, to say 'some' or 'could' or 'I have found, personally that' when relating a reaction or observation of something to my physical or mental health. And adding a link to any research or report if there is one.

Reactions: KK123

ianf0ster

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
exercise, phone calls
Hi,

From personal experience eggs irritate the prostate and add to the increase of UTI's. You don't want to go there...

Hi DUCADUCADUC,
What a shame that you suffer from irritable prostate and UTI's.
Fortunately the vast majority here don't suffer from problems with either eggs or cheese - since they are the staples of my current diet (along with Fatty fish, fatty meat, nuts and full-fat plain yoghurt).

I would never suggest somebody try food to which they get a bad reaction, but I would also advise people to consider trying foods which work well for others, since cutting carbs leaves you a lot fewer options food-wise!

Not everybody (not even most) has a dairy or a nut or other allergy.
So don't eat to others allergies - eat to how your own body reacts and 'eat to your BG Meter' !

Reactions: DJC3 and Robbity
M

Member496333

Hi DUCADUCADUC,
What a shame that you suffer from irritable prostate and UTI's.
Fortunately the vast majority here don't suffer from problems with either eggs or cheese - since they are the staples of my current diet (along with Fatty fish, fatty meat, nuts and full-fat plain yoghurt).

I would never suggest somebody try food to which they get a bad reaction, but I would also advise people to consider trying foods which work well for others, since cutting carbs leaves you a lot fewer options food-wise!

Not everybody (not even most) has a dairy or a nut or other allergy.
So don't eat to others allergies - eat to how your own body reacts and 'eat to your BG Meter' !

Also worth considering that some folk report many of their allergies or reactions to foods go away when they change their diet and remove other offending items. Very often wheat in the diet is thought to be the culprit of many bad reactions to food.

mtc2300

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
These are the same recommendations here. However new studies has made it's way into the diabetic treatment. Our counterpart to NHS has actually started to recommend low carb diet for diabetic patients in order to lower the use of medication and save money that way. But it's still based patient to patient.

But for all new diagnosed patients it's still the old:

Loose one kg a month by eating less
Heres your prescription for Metformin
See you in three months.

Reactions: zand

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Loose one kg a month by eating less
Heres your prescription for Metformin
See you in three months.
Aaaaarrrggghhh!
And what happens when you have been trying to lose weight by eating less for many years? :banghead:
It's good to see that low carb is actually being mentioned eventually now though. :)

mtc2300

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Aaaaarrrggghhh!
And what happens when you have been trying to lose weight by eating less for many years? :banghead:
It's good to see that low carb is actually being mentioned eventually now though. :)

Yes. Before a link to the internet was also attached. Now they're starting to link to forums and education on LCHF but still based on how each patient is motivated for change.

If your BMI is over 50 they offer a Gastric Bypass surgery.

Ojustaboo

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I had my yearly diabetic review a couple of months ago.

I was talking to the nurse about the Keto diet.

She said that they are not allowed to recommend it, however off the record she said that she thinks the tide will change soon as Keto has so many positive results.

pixie1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
If you think that's bad, you should see the suggested diet handed out wheen diagnosed by your doctor, labelled "Living with Type 2 Diabetes" in partnership with the NHS.

One of the suggestions is a "slice of white bread with jam". Now I hate to point this out, but whoever added this to the suggested diet clearly has no idea which foods would raise an insulin spike.

What everybody shuld be aware of is that qualified doctors (GP's) do not study nutrition during their education as a medical professional, so the last person you should ask for advice on dietary advice is your doctor.

You should consult a qualified nutritionist, but be aware that they are obliged to advise you according to the accepted policies, such as recommending eggs, which you certainly should avoid & red meat. In short, they are forced by their governing body to 'suggest' a diet that is influenced by lobbying groups and it's not necessarily in the interests of the public.

A typical example is the lobbying of the cattle industry in the US, which succeeded in blocking a trial of a plant-based diet on Texas, only for the organisation to take it to another state and fund it themselves. The results spoke for themselves and were taken back to the original state.

Another good example is the practice of using Chlorine to bleach chicken! Not exactly in the consumer interest, but it's a cheap way of getting rid of the excrement sprayed everywhere during the slaughtering process.

I've replaced my animal protein with beans, peas and lentils and as a result, don't consume antibiotics & growth hormones that are routinely given to livestock before they appear at the supermarket.
What is the reason to avoid eggs, they are absolutely fine and so is red meat. Thankfully we don't live in America, at least we can choose good quality food.

Reactions: Flora123

Sarah69

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Anything healthy!
The diabetes clinic in Kettering and Corby seem to have wiped their hands off me, I have not had any updates since we had argued about carbs, even my new GP says I must eat carbs, so they are all trying to kill me, I am really quite ill and feel dreadful after listening to their advice- toast or porridge in the morning as that shall give me enough energy to enjoy my life to the fullest!! -by the way, they say i'm not allowed cheese :|

I just had some new test strips arrive and my glucose levels are through the roof.. I dare not even contemplate what my Hba1c would be

What is making you so ill?

Flora123

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
High BG levels from eating those very high carb things could make you feel ill. It would for me.

Last edited:

poemagraphic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
WIFI, Mobile phones. Smart metres... in fact anything 'smart'
Reactions: VMK