1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2020 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Current NHS dietary advice for diabetes.....

Discussion in 'Type 2 Diabetes' started by VMK, Sep 10, 2019.

1. lucylocket61

lucylocket61 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I dont doubt that that is your experience.

However, its not the experience of others. There is no recorded link to your issues in medical research. I have not, personally, heard of a link.

We are all different. I find it helps, when posting, to say 'some' or 'could' or 'I have found, personally that' when relating a reaction or observation of something to my physical or mental health. And adding a link to any research or report if there is one.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 1
  2. ianf0ster

ianf0ster Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Hi DUCADUCADUC,
    What a shame that you suffer from irritable prostate and UTI's.
    Fortunately the vast majority here don't suffer from problems with either eggs or cheese - since they are the staples of my current diet (along with Fatty fish, fatty meat, nuts and full-fat plain yoghurt).

I would never suggest somebody try food to which they get a bad reaction, but I would also advise people to consider trying foods which work well for others, since cutting carbs leaves you a lot fewer options food-wise!

Not everybody (not even most) has a dairy or a nut or other allergy.
    So don't eat to others allergies - eat to how your own body reacts and 'eat to your BG Meter' !

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. Jim Lahey

Jim Lahey I reversed my Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Also worth considering that some folk report many of their allergies or reactions to foods go away when they change their diet and remove other offending items. Very often wheat in the diet is thought to be the culprit of many bad reactions to food.

• Agree Agree x 3
  4. mtc2300

mtc2300 Type 2 · Active Member

These are the same recommendations here. However new studies has made it's way into the diabetic treatment. Our counterpart to NHS has actually started to recommend low carb diet for diabetic patients in order to lower the use of medication and save money that way. But it's still based patient to patient.

But for all new diagnosed patients it's still the old:

Loose one kg a month by eating less
    Heres your prescription for Metformin
    See you in three months.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. zand

zand Type 2 · Expert

Aaaaarrrggghhh!
    And what happens when you have been trying to lose weight by eating less for many years? :banghead:
    It's good to see that low carb is actually being mentioned eventually now though. :)

6. mtc2300

mtc2300 Type 2 · Active Member

Yes. Before a link to the internet was also attached. Now they're starting to link to forums and education on LCHF but still based on how each patient is motivated for change.

If your BMI is over 50 they offer a Gastric Bypass surgery.

• Informative Informative x 1
  7. Ojustaboo

Ojustaboo Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I had my yearly diabetic review a couple of months ago.

I was talking to the nurse about the Keto diet.

She said that they are not allowed to recommend it, however off the record she said that she thinks the tide will change soon as Keto has so many positive results.

• Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  8. pixie1

pixie1 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

What is the reason to avoid eggs, they are absolutely fine and so is red meat. Thankfully we don't live in America, at least we can choose good quality food.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  9. Sarah69

Sarah69 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

What is making you so ill?

10. Flora123

Flora123 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

High BG levels from eating those very high carb things could make you feel ill. It would for me.

#70 Flora123, Oct 21, 2019 at 7:21 AM
    Last edited: Oct 21, 2019
  11. poemagraphic

poemagraphic Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Trust me this advice is a joke! It made me laugh any way.
    What a shambolic affair this sorry state is.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook