What have you eaten today? (Low carb forum)

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm also a fan of the roast in the bag chooks. I've never attempted a whole chook in the air fryer mainly because it wouldn't fit. When it comes to wings/thighs etc it's always the air fryer but that's because I want crisp skin.
I don't have a rotisserie function so can't comment on that I'm afraid.
Thanks @maglil55. Nothing gone bang today I hope.

Reactions: maglil55

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks @maglil55. Nothing gone bang today I hope.
I've been very happy today as I've managed to get through 24 hrs with nothing else going very wrong. I did have an icy cold shower this morning though. We have an electric shower back up. Thankfully it was only because Hubby hadn't raised the water pressure enough. He had a lovely warm shower though.
The new boiler is all organised though and will be fitted the day after we get back from our short break. I'd also overlooked the saving in my maintenance contract with a 5 year guarantee which is substantial. All in all a good day.

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Bed 6.4 FBG 6.7 - BGs much more settled today. Not too cold so the electric radiators we keep for boiler breakdowns are keeping us cosy. As I mentioned to @ianpspurs boiler is sorted out now. Can't believe we got it sorted that quickly. When you consider we only had the boiler made safe yesterday, to have them in today was great. Especially as it will be fitted as soon as we get back.
Otherwise it's the usual Friday, school run, 1/2 day so bring the boys back for lunch, take them home mid afternoon and generally run about. At least I can have a hot shower tomorrow.
B. TAG with ADOC.
L. Slice of wafer thin ham and a slice of emmental.
D. 2 slices skinny bread toasted with lurpack, 2 still hot boiled eggs mashed with butter and 4 santini tomatoes. 2 bits of G&B mint.

I'm not reducing to small amounts. My fridge is just a bit bare with going away next week for 5 days and we're off to the theatre on Monday so we'll be eating out then too. Also I really enjoyed these butter mashed eggs yesterday. Sadly my skinny bread is finished again.

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
No. We haven't ahd a go with that,............ yet! Dr Google says it's definitely doable, so fingers crossed.

http://lovefoodnotcooking.com/recipes/air-fryer-roast-beef/

I guess one of the things I would take from that particular link would be having the raw meat at room temperature prior to cooking. I guess that makes sense for a larger chunk of meat.

A triumph @DCUKMod used a variation of the recipe you linked to (thyme instead of rosemary)

25 minutes on 200 degrees for a half kilo piece of topside. Fat deliciously crispy. Meat juices from a previous slow cooker creation.

A6F79934-0519-4E6E-BE4D-53D0AD748AEF.jpeg

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@ianpspurs - I can't comment on the airfryer, versus supermarket chicken because I can only think of one supermarket cooked chicken. It was in Guadeloupe, just after we'd sailed in from a very rough passage down island. We had to dash shoreside to catch customs and immigration (in the gift shop), and we could actually smell the rotisserie chickens, roasting in the cabinet outdoors. Had we not bought one, I think we'd have been our very own episode of Death in Paradise.

upload_2019-10-4_18-1-30.png

It was stuffed with garlic and veg, and was sold with a couple of ladle fulls of cooking juices. We devoured in in our cockpit, in double quick time, having paused at the Boulangerie just long enough to pick up a demi baguette for MrB.

I know it's not a chicken, but I know @Goonergal has plans to roast a beef joint in her AF pretty soon.

Reactions: maglil55

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
A triumph @DCUKMod used a variation of the recipe you linked to (thyme instead of rosemary)

25 minutes on 200 degrees for a half kilo piece of topside. Fat deliciously crispy. Meat juices from a previous slow cooker creation.

View attachment 36019

That looks fab! Did you bring the beef up to temp, as suggested or wing it a bit?

We have a lovely piece of salmon cut beef for Sunday, but it'll be slow roasted as per MrB's way. As MrB will be cooking it, he gets to decide on his techniques.

I'm good like that. ;)

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
That looks fab! Did you bring the beef up to temp, as suggested or wing it a bit?

I was home a bit later than planned (train delays) but took it out of the fridge for just under an hour before cooking. Still felt cold to touch, but probably helped with the cooking. Might add a touch more salt and some garlic next time.

Reactions: ziggy_w and Annb

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
B: lo dough brownie with cream. o_O
L: 2 strips moo grob, cooked from frozen in 15 mins :wacky:
D: jambalaya, made with a pack of spices we got on hol. Used chicken thighs, chorizo and our ordinary butchers sausages (which are fab), and the obligatory onion, bell pepper and celery veg. Talk about a blast from the past. I used to cook like this a lot. One pot cooking, masses of veg... had forgotten how much I enjoy it. Would love to have this regularly.

Anyway, Mr M pronounced it GOOD. I was v pleased. And we’ll see how my guts cope with the veg. I can always reduce the veg proportion next time, but hopefully I won’t need to.

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
B= tea. L= CCB with extra thick double cream - I'm not going native. Evening = celagne left from yesterday and avocado, pea shoots, flowers and purple radish. Sounds as though the air fryer may be as much use to me as a bicycle to a fish - so obviously one will pitch up:arghh: Thanks all the same @DCUKMod and @Goonergal

Last edited:

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I think if I had another pack I might be tempted to add melted butter to the mix with the water.
That would probably make a big difference to the mouth feel and the succulence.
Also adding choc drops, nuts, even a few dried cranberries or chopped up cherries would moisten it and add interest.
My Mr B has a stash of those LC syrups too, and a dash of the caramel one, or the maple walnut one, would make a big difference too...

Am beginning to wish I had another pack... lol

Well that’s a fine idea. I will definitely be adding butter and a few nuts, thanks for that. I’ll let you know how it goes b

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

View attachment 36019

That looks great! I did wonder if topside might be a bit tough cooked like this but it looks fab.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Breakfast: my usual low carb coconut ‘porridge’ with strawberries and cream washed down with a black coffee.
Lunch: 2 boiled eggs with Marmite soldiers made from fried halloumi followed by Greek yoghurt, raspberries and macadamia and coconut keto granola.
Mid afternoon: coffee chia pudding and a black coffee
Dinner: cold garlic chicken with leafy salad, two orange rapture tomatoes and cucumber followed by SF jelly, cream and LC chocolate granola.

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Scrambled eggs for breakfast.
Went to my old rehab gym class - forgotten what hard work and what a laugh it was - very enjoyable and worked wonders for my bg which has been gradually going up.
Lunch was prawns, avocado spinach and mayo then sf jelly.
Dinner take away curry from our favourite old haunt - they still recognise Mr C on the phone and sent him complimentary Cobra beers. I had 1/2 a tandoori mixed grill, salad and mushrooms. Red wine.
Almost packed up again for the drive back to Cornwall tomorrow. I’ve really enjoyed this week back in the old place, catching up with friends ( in spite of the fact we came back for 2 funerals) and having coffee shops on the doorstep.

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Breakfast (about 9.30 today because I was hungry) - 3 slices of very thin proscuitto and tea.
Lunch (around 1.00) - oxtail soup.
Tea (about 5.00 so that I could go out for the kids' club) a slice of lorne sausage and 2 fried eggs. Tea, of course and lots more tea throughout the day.
Despite 3 sessions of food, I don't think the carbs were excessive, or even the calories.

SlimLizzy

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
football, both the game and the culture.
@maglil55 what a lot you have to cope with. As you said however, it could have been worse, but it must be hard to remember that sometimes when you are in the midst of it all.
@Annb how was your BG after the meal, which didn't sound carb heavy?
@Rachox Have heard Aldi sell halloumi chips. Will be searching out my nearest.

04-10-19
Woke early, faffed about on laptop for an hour, then was suddenly hungry. Tea, two McCain rösti( tiny little things) two eggs scrambled with butter and spinach. More tea. I would have had a croissant. But MrSlim had already snaffled the last one. Has the rösti instead.
Weighed this morning and it's a few pounds loss. Have not been calorie counting, maybe need to go back to all that faff.:(
But have also been having smaller breakfasts because not really hungry and little motivation for cooking.
Maybe the weight loss triggered it. Found myself making stupid excuses for having a biscuit with my coffee. Did only eat half- but before you congratulate me on self control- have to admit it was a 70g biscuit. Threw the rest of the packet as well. Not good for me and MrSlim did not like them. Actually neither did I. Which helped a lot:stop:.
Lunch
One slice pain kapnor( remembering the biscuit) pâté, lettuce, tomato and cucumber. Home made coleslaw. Then slice of ham and a boiled egg. Added because of weight loss. Tea.
Was looking at phone. Suddenly realised screen was black, so I must have been asleep sitting up at the table.
Strong coffee with dash of cream.
Tea
BG 5.9
Dinner. Chicken leek and mushroom casserole with pearl barley. Cauliflower, carrots and green beans. Glass of rosé.
Missed the hour check
BG after two hours 7.6:eek:
BG after 3 hours 6.1
Maybe pearl barley needs to be counted or weighed.

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
@maglil55 what a lot you have to cope with. As you said however, it could have been worse, but it must be hard to remember that sometimes when you are in the midst of it all.
@Annb how was your BG after the meal, which didn't sound carb heavy?
@Rachox Have heard Aldi sell halloumi chips. Will be searching out my nearest.

04-10-19
Woke early, faffed about on laptop for an hour, then was suddenly hungry. Tea, two McCain rösti( tiny little things) two eggs scrambled with butter and spinach. More tea. I would have had a croissant. But MrSlim had already snaffled the last one. Has the rösti instead.
Weighed this morning and it's a few pounds loss. Have not been calorie counting, maybe need to go back to all that faff.:(
But have also been having smaller breakfasts because not really hungry and little motivation for cooking.
Maybe the weight loss triggered it. Found myself making stupid excuses for having a biscuit with my coffee. Did only eat half- but before you congratulate me on self control- have to admit it was a 70g biscuit. Threw the rest of the packet as well. Not good for me and MrSlim did not like them. Actually neither did I. Which helped a lot:stop:.
Lunch
One slice pain kapnor( remembering the biscuit) pâté, lettuce, tomato and cucumber. Home made coleslaw. Then slice of ham and a boiled egg. Added because of weight loss. Tea.
Was looking at phone. Suddenly realised screen was black, so I must have been asleep sitting up at the table.
Strong coffee with dash of cream.
Tea
BG 5.9
Dinner. Chicken leek and mushroom casserole with pearl barley. Cauliflower, carrots and green beans. Glass of rosé.
Missed the hour check
BG after two hours 7.6:eek:
BG after 3 hours 6.1
Maybe pearl barley needs to be counted or weighed.

Yesterday's food wasn't really carb heavy but the black pudding does have some oatmeal in it which usually pushes my BG up. It didn't this time - actually dropped it by 1.5 - probably because I took extra insulin (9.1 to 7.6). However, later, after my spare rib and cauliflower it went up from 8.0 to 8.4. Not a bad rise, but there was precious little carb to cause it.

Today the only carb was in the Lorne sausage - again not much but I was out when I should have checked BG, so I don't know what the effect might have been.

My much anticipated chicken crackling arrived today. 10 packs - smallest amount available on Amazon. I thought that would be fine because Em loves chicken skin, but not chicken itself, so I thought I would share it with her when she comes next time. However, I tried it and thought it was awful. Just tasted bad (maybe the fenugreek) and I was very aware of the rice flour content. But the worst bit was the amount of salt. Em's Dad came in (he's our postman) and I asked him to try it. He agreed - far too much salt and we both decided that it was too salty to offer a 7 year old child. Even too salty to offer his dogs. So that's all 10 packs in the bin! Ah well, we have to try these things.

Reactions: DJC3 and maglil55

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@SlimLizzy , I just Googled Aldi halloumi fries, they have a crispy coating but I can’t find any nutritional info :( Do please let us know what the carb count is if you locate them. I just simply fry the halloumi in either chip or soldier shapes, no coating.

mouseee

@SlimLizzy , I just Googled Aldi halloumi fries, they have a crispy coating but I can’t find any nutritional info :( Do please let us know what the carb count is if you locate them. I just simply fry the halloumi in either chip or soldier shapes, no coating.
I bought some the other day. They were about 14g per portion and were not as nice as un coated ones. Won't buy again personally!

I tried porridge this morning. 6 before and 10.5 nearly 3 hours after. Crossed off list.

Left over oomph with mushrooms for lunch.

Bolognese with courgetti for dinner.

Stood on scales yesterday. Nearly a stone gone in 12 weeks and a whole dress size. I have never been able to lose weight and it is simply melting away. I'm starting to have to bite my lip when weight loss comes up at work as I keep going on about LCHF!!

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I bought some the other day. They were about 14g per portion and were not as nice as un coated ones. Won't buy again personally!

Oh no! 14g per portion! I think I’ll stick to my plain fried halloumi