What was your fasting blood glucose? (full on chat)

gennepher

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
6.9 this Sunday morning. We slept until 10:30! Unheard of. Even at that late hour the KittenCat did not wake me, but, when she saw I was awake, simply crept up from the foot of the bed to snuggle. She has eaten a good breakfast but seems subdued, I hope she is feeling alright. ^. .^

I have given up trying to understand FBG and DP. If I can score a 6.9 after such a long sleep, with no bedtime snack, then all I can conclude is that FBG is based on my eating over the past few days and not at all related to any one meal/snack in particular. And I can't change my diet too much, because BG is not the only number I'm concerned about. I have to factor in BP, LDL, and lbs. as well.

If any of you would like to get rid of some of that rain, please send it my way! I can't remember the last time it rained here, and the 19 degrees showing on my laptop is about 10 degrees below the midmorning temps we've been getting. A week into October, and all the leaves outside my window are still as green as in June.

Popeye was quiet a few days ago when I got up, and I go into worry mode, but two hours later he is demanding his breakfast, and seconds, and is very lively. I think they have off mornings just like we do.

I would love to send you my rain @SaskiaKC
upload_2019-10-6_18-20-8.gif

upload_2019-10-6_18-20-58.gif

upload_2019-10-6_18-21-34.gif

upload_2019-10-6_18-22-17.gif

upload_2019-10-6_18-22-54.gif

upload_2019-10-6_18-23-56.gif

upload_2019-10-6_18-25-8.gif

upload_2019-10-6_18-26-25.gif

App promised me a few hours with no rain. So I put my washing out. Big mistake. Five minutes later we have monsoon rain, and washing is soaked before I can rescue it. I am soaked to the skin trying to rescue washing. Had to get changed. Popeye is watching me from under my bedcovers through the glass door, dancing trying to get my washing.

Had a brilliant idea when I came in. What if I put up my garden parasols and hang my washing from the spikes under the parasol? Would that work? Would it save my washing from the monsoon rain, or any rain?

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thank you for the emojis, @gennepher . Those are exactly what we need here! :)

The KittenCat just jumped down from her window sill and asked me to get her some lunch. She is now happily nomming some canned tuna in the kitchen. Don't you love it when they purr while they're eating? ^. .^

Clouds outside now, and I just noticed there's a 60% chance of rain forecast for tomorrow. I hope it will develop into 100% overnight. Temperatures should be lower this coming week, down into the low 80s (high 20s) which will be lovely. The only problem is it will mean putting away my shocking-pink shorts for the winter! :D (But I can still wear my shocking-pink-and-orange tiger-striped socks.)

KittenCat has finished lunch and sharpened her claws on her coco-fiber mat and just cantered off to see what's going on in the bedroom ...
g61035.gif

now back asking to be entertained ....

g61055.gif

Reactions: HarryBeau

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have fond memories of the Science Museum...that was our go to place whenever we skipped a day off school;)

ah me too.
Didn't live too far from south ken, so any days off it was Battersea park
or the museums.

( I remember battersea when it had the funfair., but in those school days it was hanging out around the boating lake.)

the science museum a fav, but the history museum, was fascinating.

and @OldButBold ..was that bonhams up by harrods..as they also had an auction house in lots road, as well..we lived two blocks over.

Last edited:

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
5.3 this morning - tested an hour and a half later than usual but no dawn phenomenon. I expected that my liver would have done a dump because of the late breakfast but I suppose that it is a good sign that it hasn't. Maybe I'm becoming more 'normal'.

Just had a lovely bacon, egg and mushroom breakfast and am now relaxing with coffee. The rain is chucking it down here in Norfolk so I think it will be a lazy day today - reading and relaxing.

I think the scores coming down and you not being too upset, physically by them is definitely a good sign.
sort of like an airplane flying through turbulence, you've managed to get into clearer air, where the journey is much smoother.

And Kudos for the breakie...sounded delicious.

Reactions: HarryBeau

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Good morning folks and the word precipitation

The wonder wheel of a late evening but a good nights sleep rewarded me with a flat 5.0 this am.

I was going to pick apples this morning but at present they are all waving about glistening with rain so will leave them where they are for now and concentrate on a bit of baking - flax seed crackers and a couple of “bread” rolls. It has been suggested that a bit of finely grated parmesan in the flax seed cracker recipe may work well - will give that a go and see. I have already got a couple of pints of tumeric tea straining so that will need bottling. May get some kefir started but I am losing interests in that due to only me drinking it (Mrs Miggins she no likee).

Best get on with the importance of being with koffy in order to persuade my aching bones that the day has promise.

TTFN

it does seem to ebb and flow, @dunelm , re the food choices and menu, i think.

much easier if it's two, but if it's just us, and it's dinner for one.. it sometimes doesn't seem worth the effort..:rolleyes:
liking the planning on the bread / crackers front, mind

Last edited:

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Doggies didn't even want to go out today as the rain is torrential. We decided (maybe foolishly) to go to The Range in Norwich as we need a Z Bed as youngest granddaughter is no longer in a cot.

A47 was starting to flood in the way there which was a bit worrying. Water was much higher on way back but we got through - it is now impassable at Easton and the A47 is closed. Police are advising only essential travel - so it is a nightmare out and about.

A weird day with BS - they have been lurking in the low 4s for much of the day. I feel very well though - no feeling of having a hypo - so my body has finally got used to the low 4s and feels it has no need to warn me.

that sounds awful, @Krystyna23040 .
Glad all went well and you weren't stranded because engine flooded..:***:

Reactions: dunelm

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thank you for the emojis, @gennepher . Those are exactly what we need here! :)

The KittenCat just jumped down from her window sill and asked me to get her some lunch. She is now happily nomming some canned tuna in the kitchen. Don't you love it when they purr while they're eating? ^. .^

Clouds outside now, and I just noticed there's a 60% chance of rain forecast for tomorrow. I hope it will develop into 100% overnight. Temperatures should be lower this coming week, down into the low 80s (high 20s) which will be lovely. The only problem is it will mean putting away my shocking-pink shorts for the winter! :D (But I can still wear my shocking-pink-and-orange tiger-striped socks.)

KittenCat has finished lunch and sharpened her claws on her coco-fiber mat and just cantered off to see what's going on in the bedroom ...
g61035.gif

now back asking to be entertained ....

g61055.gif

Got a funny and happy winner from me. for KC 'Nomming' her food..:hilarious:
and yes to the purring..love it when a cat does that, to me that shows contentment
safe and secure while at their most exposed, head down in a dish of food...bless.

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Week 1 of No job.
seemingly starting to settle down to a life of leisure.

having a spring clean as i have time now to do and then rubbish to dump or some better stuff to the charity shops for recycling

Some jobs around the house to do today, so up at Midday..(late night last night)
and didn't stop until about 7pm.

sorting out our steph's stuff got assigned the task of checking out all the previous playstations, nintendo, etc for working /connectors etc.

got the Wii back up, and spent a happy hour or two, player tiger woods golf.
big kid i know, but oh the frustration as i missed so many simple putts ..:bigtears:
shall be keping that back for a while until i find some work..;):hilarious:

snacked on cheese, a cracker and some deli meat late afternoon for brunch as i skipped breakfast..
so not hungry but felt like i needed some food late on this evening, so ate rather late tonight.

morning FBG's was 5.7.

off now to read my latest book, Cobra..love a good zombie apocalypse book and this one is a class apart so far.

Stay safe all.

Debandez

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Nice idea, @Debandez

and pretty appropriate.
appreciate it may not get too far, BUT if we made it a YEARLY event, maybe.
as in " last year we got X numbers to sign..lets see if we can beat it, this year.." type of thing

It's not a one off illness, the rates increasing, awareness is coming slowly of other options for treatment
so perhaps the fight for our RIGHT to better health care should take the same time format.

But do agree with @HarryBeau ..don't expect too much to happen straight off.
(the ladies fighting for their pension rights shows that is pretty true, but they never gave up trying)

and @OldButBold , has probably got the right tool to make the petition work.

and on that note, Debs..honoured as i am by your praise of my tech skills, it is just me giving things a go,
that get me even close to being skillful.
i think @OldButBold , would be a much better option for detailed up to date info on all things tech., imho.

edit.
it does come to mind, that those in surgery COULD have a diabetes day coffee morning akin to macmillans
(obv on a much smaller scale)
Coffee and CREAM.., Lettuce wrapped meat, Avocado and scrambled eggs,..greek yoghurt and real fruit...
mmh a few ideas for starters
after all the WHAT CAN I EAT NOW.:***:...IS the mating call of the newly diagnosed,
maybe this could be a good opportunity to show there IS other things to eat that isn't carb loaded cereals.?

My head is so full of things I want to do that might change things. I really appreciate everyone's feedback. I can and do get carried away. But that said....where there is a will there is a way!

Debandez

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
My sleep patterns were never good even before I was diagnosed with diabetes @Muddy Cyclist
But I might have had diabetes years before and was not diagnosed. Also I was not on low carb then. So I believe it is ‘just’ life. So many things - higher stress from more sources than ever before and computers and the internet (availability of constant news etc) all probably play a part.

I can understand that Doc Martin drama making people aware about diabetes. It’s ‘only’ a tv drama but it can have more power in getting a message across than a so called information show. I know from experience with my own profound deafness, because long ago there was an American fictional drama which included the problems of a profoundly deaf person. I watched it, and unknown to me my daughter was watching it upstairs. She came down at the end of the program (she had been dismissive and derogatory about my profound deafness up to that point, and I think she was about 14 years old), and said “I’m sorry mum, I didn’t realise it was like that for you.”

So, it is not really strange what makes people aware. They will take a message from a fictional program because you are not lecturing or trying to make them understand something.
Light bulb moment! I need to start writing scripts!

trick60

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Good morning folks, a straight 6.0 on the testing dice, back to salads and strong coffee this week.
@trick60 you’re a nice grandad hope you have a good day and youngster settles soon. Am assuming at Uni and my son was the same but it gets better.

Hope it does PM, because I don't know whether going down to visit is just making her more homesick.
She is in the Halls and her flatmates seem very nice but she is a homebird and we are a closeknit family, going to see her is great but coming away absolutely breaks us, but as you say "give it time". Back down in a fortnight, going to stay in Rochester this time.

HarryBeau

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Morning...rearranged my anti-coagulant appointment work today...off to work in Leicester this morning hoping the rain holds off ( I have a feeling I shouldn't have said that) hoping to be back early evening...last night had a couple of glasses of prosecco with a friend not surprisingly woke to a 6.7.

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Morning gentle folks each. So fbg was 5.1 today, slept until 6.30 ish and weight back to trend at least today. I have felt for a long time that I function best in a very particular environment and this WOE is a bit like a misleading clue in a whodunnit fo me. Family weekend, all grandchildren physically or virtually present, watching lots of sport with my boys. Far more effective for me at least. BTW, never above 20 gms carb and *msl @ absurd idea of chaffles last night. Round 2 of man v chemo today.

Last edited:

Muddy Cyclist

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Good morning and I have been greeted with a 6.2 after yet another very low carb (less than 15 grams) day yesterday, 1 glass of red wine, 5 hours sleep, 12 hour fast, I really was expecting a lower reading.

Today we have the heavy rain and it's here to stay so no Mountain Bike ride today, can't face the hour of cleaning my bike on my return. On the positive side I now have a blank sheet of a day with which to do anything I choose, well at least until Mrs MC arises.:)

@SaskiaKC Hope you did get your wish for rain granted.

For all those out and about may your umbrellas protect you.