What have you eaten today? (Low carb forum)

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Evenin’ All.

Yesterday and today have been the ceremonial unveiling of the waffle iron gadget and the inaugural Chaffles (if you don’t know what a Chaffle is, just google. recipes, vids and burbling on the subject makes ot the hottest thing in Keto since... since... last week.

Yesterday:
B: cheddar and egg chaffle with a leftover burglar. Mr B added beans to his, and ruined the whole thing OMNSHO.
L: Not needed
D: mozarrella and egg chaffle with defrosted king cherries and lindt70%andcream sauce

Drumroll!!! Mr B declares Chaffles to be ‘keepers’.

Today:
B: breakfast omelette at garden centre
L: at 4pm had a cheddar and egg and onion and garlic chaffle. Best yet.
D: small portion of jambalaya

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Had another cup of Neil's chicory drink between cups of tea this morning then the remainder of the hash for lunch. It was fine, but not worth the bother. I don't think I much like Lorne sausage either.

Intended to have eggs of some sort later in the day but by afternoon I felt as though I had flu starting up - I didn't. I think it was the chicory. The "flu"-like reaction is what often happens when I have eaten something that I don't tolerate very well. 2 cups yesterday and the one this morning would be enough to set me off. Back to tea, I'm afraid - at least meantime. So nothing else eaten today and I'm down on fluids - just sat in my big chair, dozed and felt sorry for myself all afternoon. Just had my 5th drink of the day - tea of course and must get another 3 drinks in at least before bed.

BG has been pretty good after the morning dump which put it up to 9.0. In the 5s and 6s since then.

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
missed a day, hope i can remember
05-10-19
breakfast, lots of peanut butter straight from the pot, tea
coffee
lunch, several thin slices baguette, pate, turkey slices ( except to me its more like turkey sausage) MrSlim is trying to find alternative to ham. cucumber, few leaves from the garden. Greek yoghurt and raspberries. Found a cheaper version of frozen raspberries, broken ones. lol broken - they are crumbs. Still for stirring into yoghurt will do .
dinner, fish curry, MrSlim cooked. Had mine with cauli rice.
probably forgotten something.
chilly day, mindful of the coming operation we lit the fire. It usually takes a couple of days to warm the house.

06-10-19
breakfast nut granola, could not be bothered to cook so had some "turkey" slices, tea
coffee
out to local Vide Grenier.
lunch
2 slices toasted pain Kapnor, pate, ham, greek yoghurt and raspberry crumbs
tea and more tea
dinner, Mr Slim cooked. roasted cod, potatoes, braised turnips and carrots, hollandaise sauce. White wine
figs and pear poached in wine, served with cream. and dessert wine
come on people how can i resist?

Did ask if it was possible to use sweetener instead of sugar - he thinks would not reduce to a syrup. Has anyone tried this?
His operation is scheduled for Tuesday. Both of us seem more worried about the phone call on monday, to find out the time. Hoping our french will be good enough.
French system so different, we already have all the medication he might need afterwards, and anti bac shower gel to use for two days beforehand.
Cant help thinking in UK might still be waiting to see consultant...
Best wishes for Mr Slim.

Reactions: maglil55

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Breakfast: my usual low carb coconut ‘porridge’ with strawberries and cream washed down with a black coffee.
Lunch: roast chicken, two tiny roast potatoes, mixed veg and gravy thickened with flax, followed by SF jelly, cream and LC chocolate granola.
Mid afternoon: mint Carb Killa bar and black coffee.
Tea at ILs: cold meat, cheese and salad buffet followed by one Jaffa cake.

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I'd love to try one of each. No rush as I'm away from Thursday and I don't think the letterbox would help. Can I get you anything in return?

I'll pm my address.

That’s great, I’ll send you some. Please don’t worry about getting me anything in return though - I’d only throw the crackling away so it saves wasting it.

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
What a nice day we’ve had! Turned out to be OMAD. It’s middle daughter’s birthday so she decided how we spent it.
Didn’t have time for breakfast apart from coffee, then a charity dog walk along Par Sands. Lovely sunshine and very happy pooches.
Back here for present opening then mid afternoon lunch out. I had a 16oz chargrilled local farm pork chop - yes, a pound of pork! It came with roast fennel and I swapped chips for a salad but barely touched it. Shame as it looked nice.
Back home again for birthday cake for everyone else. Didn’t bother me not having any as I was still so full.
I did have a glass of wine later when we played Articulate ( to help sharpen my mind) Mr C and I won of course.

annabell1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
rude people
not able to do as much as I used to do due to health issues
onions
leek
on Saturday I made some pancakes using almond flour and sweetened with stevia but they didn't turn to well I sort of burnt them and tried to eat some of it but threw them out so then had a 1/2 an avocado and black coffee. dinner I brought a rib eye and pan fried it in a cast iron pan cooked it then turned it and added butter garlic thyme and rosemary ate some of it with a side of baked potato I found some times potatoes although not good for diabetes can sometimes help my UC but I think it trigger me to crave more food so I ate some cream and berries. this morning for breakfast had last batch of my homemade yoghurt with blueberries and black coffee. dinner I had left over rib eyes with tabbela (but used a very small amount of burghal I don't know why but then I ate chocolates. arrr I get angry when I do this because it doesn't help my diabetes nor my UC. I wished I had more will power to stop eating the foods I shouldn't eat. I was reading on a site about people with UC/CROHNS disease and how our disease sometimes makes us not want to eat so we may not eat a lot of food at times when we are not feeling well then we become hungry and eat and also when we do eat because having this disease we don't absorb the foods nutrients so then we binge eat to try and give us the nutrients we are loosing when we have diarreah I am not sure if it is what is happening to me but I often wonder.

Reactions: DJC3 and maglil55

ziggy_w

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello all,

@SlimLizzy -- Keeping my fingers crossed for your husband's surgery today. Hope all goes well.

Yesterday ...

Breakfast: Two double decaffeinated espressos with cream and erythritol. A tub of chicken liver pate (120g).

Lunch: Half a DD keto roll with mayonnaise and chicken breast, another half with mayonnaise and cheddar. A smallish serving of homemade soup (merguez, green beens, navy beans, celery, beef broth, tomato puree, ginger and garlic paste, chili, creme fraiche).

Dinner: Red enchiladas made with eggplant, cheese, onion and red enchilada sauce. Homemade low carb chocolate pudding with whipped cream. Macadamias and one and half glasses of red wine.

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
on Saturday I made some pancakes using almond flour and sweetened with stevia but they didn't turn to well I sort of burnt them and tried to eat some of it but threw them out so then had a 1/2 an avocado and black coffee. dinner I brought a rib eye and pan fried it in a cast iron pan cooked it then turned it and added butter garlic thyme and rosemary ate some of it with a side of baked potato I found some times potatoes although not good for diabetes can sometimes help my UC but I think it trigger me to crave more food so I ate some cream and berries. this morning for breakfast had last batch of my homemade yoghurt with blueberries and black coffee. dinner I had left over rib eyes with tabbela (but used a very small amount of burghal I don't know why but then I ate chocolates. arrr I get angry when I do this because it doesn't help my diabetes nor my UC. I wished I had more will power to stop eating the foods I shouldn't eat. I was reading on a site about people with UC/CROHNS disease and how our disease sometimes makes us not want to eat so we may not eat a lot of food at times when we are not feeling well then we become hungry and eat and also when we do eat because having this disease we don't absorb the foods nutrients so then we binge eat to try and give us the nutrients we are loosing when we have diarreah I am not sure if it is what is happening to me but I often wonder.

My No 1 son has Crohn's disease and he manages his symptoms with diet exclusively. He has cut out anything fibre-rich and only uses olive oil or (occasionally) soya spread on his own home-made bread. He is also seriously allergic to many things, including foodstuffs so his diet is severely limited. Food for him is just fuel so he refuels at intervals he has set for himself whether hungry or not and only has a limited amount at each refuelling. In order to support this regime he has to take a vitamin and mineral supplement and the whole regime does seem to work because although he gets an occasional flare-up, and sometimes that is a severe one with serious inflammation of his gut, he has, over the last 25 years, never had to resort to surgery. Doctors originally tried to treat him with drugs, which his system could not tolerate and now they leave him alone and let him self-treat because it seems to be more successful than they are in other cases.

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Got over the chicory incident by bed-time last night and feeling pretty reasonable this morning. 2 cups of tea and some of my pills later, Neil took me to town for some shopping. We ended up in one of our local charity shops where I saw a kneehole desk for £30. Just what I need to organise my laptop/documents/sewing machine and accessories. I now have to reorganise my kitchen to accept something the size of a sideboard to make room for it. Must throw out some more junk.

Back from town I had some more tea and some cold meat. Dinner will be something with eggs and, maybe, cheese.

I finally got around to buying a vitamin/mineral supplement at the pharmacy. If I am to keep up this restricted eating I will have to support it with some extras.

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi All
Firstly @SlimLizzy wishing Mr S all the best today.
Interesting conversation about UC and Cronhs, different things help different people.
Yesterday had two meals.
Brunch: 2 rashers, 2 fried eggs, 1 meaty sausage, lots of tea.
Supper: Tandoori King Prawns, cauli Bhajee preceded by 2 popadoms (they sent too many and I hate waste ;) ). Two large glasses Cinsault rose.

@DJC3 your day sounded lovely. It must be nice now you have all your girls in Cornwall and I can well imagine Dennis was interested in the present unwrapping. My friend’s dog used to love opening parcels so at Christmas we let him open everyone’s prezzies.

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Edit: @ianpspurs your day also sounded lovely pity you couldnt enjoy all the food. I think I would have probably had a little bit of some of the forbidden things but then thats why my FBG is seldom acceptable to me. ;) I miss meals like that with my boys.

Reactions: DJC3 and ianpspurs

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
My No 1 son has Crohn's disease and he manages his symptoms with diet exclusively. He has cut out anything fibre-rich and only uses olive oil or (occasionally) soya spread on his own home-made bread. He is also seriously allergic to many things, including foodstuffs so his diet is severely limited. Food for him is just fuel so he refuels at intervals he has set for himself whether hungry or not and only has a limited amount at each refuelling. In order to support this regime he has to take a vitamin and mineral supplement and the whole regime does seem to work because although he gets an occasional flare-up, and sometimes that is a severe one with serious inflammation of his gut, he has, over the last 25 years, never had to resort to surgery. Doctors originally tried to treat him with drugs, which his system could not tolerate and now they leave him alone and let him self-treat because it seems to be more successful than they are in other cases.

I should have added that the treatment my son uses is one he designed for himself. It probably wouldn't work for anyone else, especially if they don't have the serious allergies and intolerances that he has. It also takes more self discipline than I would have to keep to his regime. I suppose you could say that it is "lucky" he also has asperger's which makes him a lot more determined (aka stubborn) than most people.

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Edit: @ianpspurs your day also sounded lovely pity you couldnt enjoy all the food. I think I would have probably had a little bit of some of the forbidden things but then thats why my FBG is seldom acceptable to me. ;) I miss meals like that with my boys.
As far as enjoying the food goes I think I have reached the point of accepting that for me LC does one job (bg management) poorly. At times like yesterday it is pointless looking for it to be enjoyable. The occasion was the thing yesterday - I would have been happier with a salad or nothing but that would have made everyone else uneasy. - I've tried. As always, YMMV.

Last edited:

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have a few pancake recipes but this one is my favourite. They're light as a feather and brilliant with berries and a dash of cream. Hopefully you're OK with the ingredients.

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I have a few pancake recipes but this one is my favourite. They're light as a feather and brilliant with berries and a dash of cream. Hopefully you're OK with the ingredients.
Nothing anyone could object to there. Certainly light as air though:angelic:

Reactions: annabell1

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Bed 5.6 FBG 5.9. @SlimLizzy - I hope it all went well with Mr Slim's surgery today.
Managed to get to Aqua today thankfully as I won't be there for a couple of weeks now. Just about to take the boys home as we're off to the theatre tonight - We Will Rock You. Really looking forward to it.

B. TAG with ADOC.
L. Another mug of the chicken and mushroom soup. Last 3 portions are in the freezer now.
D. ? Will edit later. Eating out but I guarantee it will involve White wine spritzer!

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Evening all.

@SlimLizzy hope your husband’s surgery went well

@DJC3 a pound of pork and skipping the salad sounds like the way to go :D

@annabell1 your ribeye sounds good

Today was a TMAD.

Got very hungry and BG dropped very low before a lunch of - wait for it - bacon, eggs and cheese at the cafe near work

Dinner was air fried lamb ribs that had been marinated in olive oil, garlic, salt and thyme. Yum.

Have had a brainwave in relation to the air fryer - fat head/carnivore pizza would likely be far more crispy done that way. I feel an experiment coming on.

E7FCC222-86CE-42A8-B905-1EA94F4EC528.jpeg