Yay!

Nick8718

I was diagnosed on June10th (aka the start of National Diabetes week!) with an HBA1C of 107. Like all of us, it was a hell of a shock so I read the bulletin boards like crazy and tried to turn things around.

Metformin 2x500 a day plus a statin.

I’ve tried to hammer my carbs and do more exercise. And it’s been worth it.

I’ve just got my first blood results back from 2nd week in October. HBA1C 35 and cholesterol at 3.4.

Typically all I got from the GP was a text message saying ‘no action necessary’ and I had to phone reception to get them to give me the results but... this isn’t the time for ranting about the way we’re treated (as if we have acne or a clicking knee joint .. and don’t get me started on BG testing strips) BUT..

I just wanted to say that if I can do it, we all can. I’ve no idea if I can reduce or come off meds - or if it’s the meds they have given me these readings. I know the level of exercise hasn’t been excessive .. running Couch to 5K .. and I’ve been able to fit it into life.

I’ve lost about 15% of my body weight but that happened without really trying thanks to the low carb diet (what a great side effect of doing something aimed at tackling your blood sugar!).

I really do miss beer ... and pizza ... and being able to eat out easily - but it’s worth it.

Now comes stage 2: campaigning with restaurant chains to get them to highlight low carb options and get them to work towards viewing LC as being equally important as GF or Vegan.

Thanks to everyone who’s posted advice and support here - it makes such a difference. Good luck to anyone else starting out on this journey.

Reactions: Prem51

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Well done! I rather like these success stories coming in, I have to say. Thanks for sharing! :)

Nick8718

Well done! I rather like these success stories coming in, I have to say. Thanks for sharing! :)
Thanks. I read one last week -a newly diagnosed T2 who had a huge drop in their first few months - I knew my test was coming up and it made me feel so positive - that good things can happen - made me much more relaxed ... which I’m certain plays a huge role in our overall well-being.

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Very well done you superstar you must be delighted.
Agree about restaurants too and the need to campaign. I’m eating out on Thursday and although it’s got allergen and gluten info on the website there is no info on carb or sugar. The meat and ribs are just advertised as been put in a spice rub but no more info. I’ve emailed them to query them and was told all the spice rubs had sugar or in a few cases brown sugar added! No mention in description at all of course! However they did say chef could grill me plain chicken - such a shame as I love spices! They don’t have carb content of any of their food and clearly you need a bit of sugar with your spices!

ziggy_w

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@Nick8718,

Brilliant results on your HbA1c. This is a huge drop. Well done for all your hard work and definitely worth it. You are an inspiration.

Also agree that it's time that low-carb/keto will be put on an equal footing with vegan/vegetarian/gluten-free, etc. Having restaurants list info on carbs, would make eating out so much easier.

Reactions: Nick8718 and Prem51

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Very well done Nick, a stunning reduction in HbA1c and weight. Keep up the good work!

poemagraphic

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
WIFI, Mobile phones. Smart metres... in fact anything 'smart'
I was diagnosed on June10th (aka the start of National Diabetes week!) with an HBA1C of 107. Like all of us, it was a hell of a shock so I read the bulletin boards like crazy and tried to turn things around.

Metformin 2x500 a day plus a statin.

I’ve tried to hammer my carbs and do more exercise. And it’s been worth it.

I’ve just got my first blood results back from 2nd week in October. HBA1C 35 and cholesterol at 3.4.

Typically all I got from the GP was a text message saying ‘no action necessary’ and I had to phone reception to get them to give me the results but... this isn’t the time for ranting about the way we’re treated (as if we have acne or a clicking knee joint .. and don’t get me started on BG testing strips) BUT..

I just wanted to say that if I can do it, we all can. I’ve no idea if I can reduce or come off meds - or if it’s the meds they have given me these readings. I know the level of exercise hasn’t been excessive .. running Couch to 5K .. and I’ve been able to fit it into life.

I’ve lost about 15% of my body weight but that happened without really trying thanks to the low carb diet (what a great side effect of doing something aimed at tackling your blood sugar!).

I really do miss beer ... and pizza ... and being able to eat out easily - but it’s worth it.

Now comes stage 2: campaigning with restaurant chains to get them to highlight low carb options and get them to work towards viewing LC as being equally important as GF or Vegan.

Thanks to everyone who’s posted advice and support here - it makes such a difference. Good luck to anyone else starting out on this journey.

Great work!
Keep it up.

You will be able to drop the meds if you stay where you know you need to be... plenty here have and plenty here will with the will power and motivation that can be found here.

Po

mouseee

That's amazing!
I was so pleased to halve my hba1c from 101 to 46 and yours is even more impressive! Well done!!

It is hard work, I don't think I've actually had to work at eating this much ever.... but it really matters! My DSN and I decided that we'd keep the metformin going but if I got down again we'd rethink again. At the moment, I don't mind what it's doing, with the LC it's working and I'll stick with it for a bit.

I see my mum with t2 in a chair all day, having had a mini stroke, heart failure and, I'm fairly sure, vascular dementia. You and I aren't going there!! This hard work will pay off.

I'm on holiday this week, I have allowed myself a handful of chips with a couple of my meals and, today, a scoop of ice cream instead of lunch. However, i make LC choices two meals a day. I am a bit bored of omelettes now but it's worth it!

Hoping to follow you into even lower numbers next test!