1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2019 »
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Yay!

Discussion in 'Success Stories and Testimonials' started by Nick8718, Oct 21, 2019.

1. Nick8718

Nick8718 · Member

I was diagnosed on June10th (aka the start of National Diabetes week!) with an HBA1C of 107. Like all of us, it was a hell of a shock so I read the bulletin boards like crazy and tried to turn things around.

Metformin 2x500 a day plus a statin.

I’ve tried to hammer my carbs and do more exercise. And it’s been worth it.

I’ve just got my first blood results back from 2nd week in October. HBA1C 35 and cholesterol at 3.4.

Typically all I got from the GP was a text message saying ‘no action necessary’ and I had to phone reception to get them to give me the results but... this isn’t the time for ranting about the way we’re treated (as if we have acne or a clicking knee joint .. and don’t get me started on BG testing strips) BUT..

I just wanted to say that if I can do it, we all can. I’ve no idea if I can reduce or come off meds - or if it’s the meds they have given me these readings. I know the level of exercise hasn’t been excessive .. running Couch to 5K .. and I’ve been able to fit it into life.

I’ve lost about 15% of my body weight but that happened without really trying thanks to the low carb diet (what a great side effect of doing something aimed at tackling your blood sugar!).

I really do miss beer ... and pizza ... and being able to eat out easily - but it’s worth it.

Now comes stage 2: campaigning with restaurant chains to get them to highlight low carb options and get them to work towards viewing LC as being equally important as GF or Vegan.

Thanks to everyone who’s posted advice and support here - it makes such a difference. Good luck to anyone else starting out on this journey.

• Winner Winner x 7
    • Like Like x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
  2. JoKalsbeek

JoKalsbeek Type 2 (in remission!) · Well-Known Member

Well done! I rather like these success stories coming in, I have to say. Thanks for sharing! :)

• Like Like x 1
  3. Nick8718

Nick8718 · Member

Thanks. I read one last week -a newly diagnosed T2 who had a huge drop in their first few months - I knew my test was coming up and it made me feel so positive - that good things can happen - made me much more relaxed ... which I’m certain plays a huge role in our overall well-being.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  4. shelley262

shelley262 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Very well done you superstar you must be delighted.
    Agree about restaurants too and the need to campaign. I’m eating out on Thursday and although it’s got allergen and gluten info on the website there is no info on carb or sugar. The meat and ribs are just advertised as been put in a spice rub but no more info. I’ve emailed them to query them and was told all the spice rubs had sugar or in a few cases brown sugar added! No mention in description at all of course! However they did say chef could grill me plain chicken - such a shame as I love spices! They don’t have carb content of any of their food and clearly you need a bit of sugar with your spices!

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. ziggy_w

ziggy_w Type 2 · Well-Known Member

@Nick8718,

Brilliant results on your HbA1c. This is a huge drop. Well done for all your hard work and definitely worth it. You are an inspiration.

Also agree that it's time that low-carb/keto will be put on an equal footing with vegan/vegetarian/gluten-free, etc. Having restaurants list info on carbs, would make eating out so much easier.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. Rachox

Rachox Type 2 (in remission!) · Moderator
    Staff Member

Very well done Nick, a stunning reduction in HbA1c and weight. Keep up the good work!

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. poemagraphic

poemagraphic Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Great work!
    Keep it up.

You will be able to drop the meds if you stay where you know you need to be... plenty here have and plenty here will with the will power and motivation that can be found here.

Po

• Like Like x 2
  8. CherryAA

CherryAA Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Brilliant results. well done !

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. mouseee

mouseee · Well-Known Member

That's amazing!
    I was so pleased to halve my hba1c from 101 to 46 and yours is even more impressive! Well done!!

It is hard work, I don't think I've actually had to work at eating this much ever.... but it really matters! My DSN and I decided that we'd keep the metformin going but if I got down again we'd rethink again. At the moment, I don't mind what it's doing, with the LC it's working and I'll stick with it for a bit.

I see my mum with t2 in a chair all day, having had a mini stroke, heart failure and, I'm fairly sure, vascular dementia. You and I aren't going there!! This hard work will pay off.

I'm on holiday this week, I have allowed myself a handful of chips with a couple of my meals and, today, a scoop of ice cream instead of lunch. However, i make LC choices two meals a day. I am a bit bored of omelettes now but it's worth it!

Hoping to follow you into even lower numbers next test!

• Like Like x 2
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  10. Prem51

Prem51 Type 2 · Expert

Great Hba1c reduction @Nick8718, well done! :)

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook