What was your fasting blood glucose? (full on chat)

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
A fresh faced 5.6, here on the Richter scale, barely a wobble if i'm honest.
happy with that.

a little chink of light yesterday after 6 days of ever increasing bad news.

Young nephew, less sedated, seems aware of surroundings
aware of sounds at least, and has use of all limbs in very limited capacity at moment but
information is flowing however feebly to the extremities.

we're all putting it down to Elvis.:)

beautiful moment, young niece at brothers side, holding his hand, feeble response from him, but it was there.
after her 8th straight days vigil, a little moment to celebrate, told him she was off for a coffee, back in a minute.

gripped her a little tighter, ..shocked, she asked him if he wanted her to stay, a slight nod from him
was enough to have her shed tears..joyous ones, she's shed more the enough sad ones of late.

All just Praying we get THE xmas present we so badly desire.

Soaring hearts, tempered by the fact situation is still dire.
but however small it's still a win.

God willing more of that in the coming days.
That sounds promising and very moving. Your niece must have been surprised and elated in equal measure. Thanks you for sharing such a moving moment and hope for more.

mojo37

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Good morning with a 5.5 for me on this frost covered start to the day.

Today is my HbA1c test result review with the health centres resident Pharmasist at 9.20 am that means I'm going to have to defrost my campervan windscreen although I could risk cycling there but it looks very slippery out side.

Same here @SaskiaKC what is very worrying is that we don't know how many members of the public are taken in by such headlines. As you know the UK is facing electing a new government on 12 December and all parties are promising the Earth which cannot be afforded, throwing mud at each other and one party even had its members chanting slogans which is very Unbritish like, strange and worrying times.

We have an Advent calendar that's got all the characters behind doors that you open and then add the characters on to the manger scene on top, had it years, this year we allowed our granddaughters to put the characters behind the doors, today Baby Jesus appeared, I think a bit early perhaps,I think I am going to have to go through the Nativity Story with them on their next visit :)

Do the best you can today.
Hope that your review goes well ...I have mine tomorrow although I had my results over the phone 10 days ago .

karen8967

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Well I've been poorly for a few days. Not sure what I've had but its knocked the wind right out if my sails. Worst of all my blood sugars have been raised despite hardly eating. I've had zilch appetite. Lost 5lbs! Right time of year to put back on. Funny isnt it, years ago I would have loved to have lost those 5lbs. Cant afford to these days.

29th 6.5
30th 6.3
1st 6.8
Today 5.7

Trouble is libre reads lower than finger pricking!

Got Les Mis tonight at the cinema. My favourite west end show. Going to get sugar free cough med see if that helps otherwise I can see me giving my tickets away.

Happy Monday to one and all.
robutisson sugar free i use it all the the time x

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
A fresh faced 5.6, here on the Richter scale, barely a wobble if i'm honest.
happy with that.

a little chink of light yesterday after 6 days of ever increasing bad news.

Young nephew, less sedated, seems aware of surroundings
aware of sounds at least, and has use of all limbs in very limited capacity at moment but
information is flowing however feebly to the extremities.

we're all putting it down to Elvis.:)

beautiful moment, young niece at brothers side, holding his hand, feeble response from him, but it was there.
after her 8th straight days vigil, a little moment to celebrate, told him she was off for a coffee, back in a minute.

gripped her a little tighter, ..shocked, she asked him if he wanted her to stay, a slight nod from him
was enough to have her shed tears..joyous ones, she's shed more the enough sad ones of late.

All just Praying we get THE xmas present we so badly desire.

Soaring hearts, tempered by the fact situation is still dire.
but however small it's still a win.

God willing more of that in the coming days.

Wonderful news.
Continuing to send prayers out on every tide, accompanied by hugs.

Reactions: ianpspurs

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@jjraak glad to hear about the glimmer of hope. Maybe all the prayers are doing what is intended. Oh and of course Elvis. PG there will be good news very soon.

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@jjraak I’ve only just started catching up with today’s posts. What wonderful news! Yes, it’s early days but it’s given hope to you all and that’s so important. The story of your niece holding her brother’s hand made my eyes well up. I’m so happy for you all at this bit of good news.

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@PenguinMum I do exactly the same every year! Buy a couple of gifts in June then start to feel all smug that I’m being organised and realise mid Dec that I still have 90% still to buy.
My son in law gets whisky and socks from us every birthday and Christmas, seems so dull but he says that’s all he wants. At least I know they’ll be used. I’m quietly excited for you re Grinch jumper origin.

Muddy Cyclist

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I decided a slippery bike ride to my Health Centre was easier than defrosting my campervan so cycled there and went a very nice 2 hour ride afterwards to get rid of the frustration.

Thanks @jjraak and @mojo37 @ianpspurs and others for asking about the review. It was a strange affair, results two weeks ago HbA1c was 42, I was called to the health centre for a review, I thought about my HbA1c but apparently not, it was because my cholesterol which had risen from 6.2 to 6.3 and the they wanted me to take Statins, here we go again. So a rise of 0.1 with my good cholesterol rising 1.7 it's just unbelievable but I suspect the pharmasist was just doing his job. So after doing the useless qrisk I am told I have 24% chance of having some heart problem in the next 10 years, I said does it take into account 4 to 8 hours aerobic Mountain Biking a week and my diet and loss of weight, of course not so I will take my chances thank you very much. The pharmasist did comment on how well I had done to get prediobetic in a short time. I mentioned I had been following the enlightened Doc David Urwin and his healthcentre of course he had never heard of him, I explained the LCHF approach and he said oh yes a study had been done in Newcastle that suggests T2 can be be put into remission but he was sceptical, am I not proof I said but his eyes glazed over and I could see he was not interested.

Just out of interest the resident pharmasist is not the Lloyds Chemist attached to the centre but a Pharmasist working along side of the medical team.

@jjraak good to hear about the positive change in your nephews health. What a relief for you all.

Off for meal with friends at local pub, catch up later.

Edit .. typed quickly so apologise for mistakes worst being Wrong name should be Doc David Unwin

Last edited:

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
To: Bobs&Daisy @PenguinMum , Dennis @DJC3 , Marley @jjraak , Plumpy @HarryBeau , Popeye @gennepher , Sid @ Trixie @johnpol , and ohmyfur&whiskers I hope I haven't left anyone out!
Re: Noisemakers

We had the Noisemaker going full blast here today. Fortunately my person woke me with the Early Warning System and then evacuated me to the Safe Zone while the noisemaker roared around. I came out to see it off once it had left my adjunct napping area, and watched while my person disemboweled it, gutted it, and then put it away in its cave. I hope she will make it stay in there until AFTER Christmas, when I will do my best to make sure it has plenty of "needles" to suck up.
Sending purrs for peace and quiet ... ^. .^

Reactions: DJC3 and gennepher

trick60

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi all, just had a phone call from my medical practice wanting me to attend for my annual diabetic check, this was due in September but I've been dodging it mainly due to work, and me being too much of a tightwad to have time off, anyway it's now been arranged for after I have broken up for Christmas, so all good there, but then whoever the jobsworth was on the phone said that if I didn't make this appointment they would withhold my prescription. I'm not the sort to throw my toys out of the pram but really.... and anyway if she was looking at my notes she would have realized I have been off any medication for about ten months.

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi all, just had a phone call from my medical practice wanting me to attend for my annual diabetic check, this was due in September but I've been dodging it mainly due to work, and me being too much of a tightwad to have time off, anyway it's now been arranged for after I have broken up for Christmas, so all good there, but then whoever the jobsworth was on the phone said that if I didn't make this appointment they would withhold my prescription. I'm not the sort to throw my toys out of the pram but really.... and anyway if she was looking at my notes she would have realized I have been off any medication for about ten months.
Oh Trick its hopeless sometimes how poorly informed they are. I really dont know if its the computer alerts (@Muddy Cyclist had similar issue re cholesterel and statins) but it is a bit worrying. I am due a test etc in December but I am pondering whether best before or after Chrimbo o_O Fortunately my GP just lets me manage my Diabetes myself which does make life a bit simpler. Good luck with A1c.

trick60

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
bought a steak slice & some crumpets as solace for my difficult day...

Hmm I think @OldButBold has started an itch I might have to scratch as well.....hot crispy buttery crumpets, so buttery the butter puddles on the plate, I really miss them, could it possibly be a cure for T2, I'm a willing volunteer for any trials.

Reactions: DJC3