What was your fasting blood glucose? (full on chat)

HarryBeau

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Sending purrs for peace and quiet ... ^
We need you here KC...the noisemaker has just paid us a visit & there are no kitten cats to challenge it...not until this time next week then Charlie & Lola will see it off

Reactions: dunelm

HarryBeau

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
if I didn't make this appointment they would withhold my prescription.
No doubt the partners need the fee for your attendance trick/review...and of course we don't have working lives that rarely correspond to surgery hours...feckless idiots.

Reactions: dunelm

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Just to add to the theme of "What kind of **** would do that?!?" ...
I just turned on a program about a rescued baby red squirrel. He fell out of his nest when the tree was cut down.

What kind of monster cuts down a tree during squirrel-nesting season? As if red squirrels in particular didn't already have enough problems with their population!

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
We need you here KC...the noisemaker has just paid us a visit & there are no kitten cats to challenge it...not until this time next week then Charlie & Lola will see it off

We can't wait to welcome Charlie & Lola to the thread!
^. .^. .^. .^

20190813_151850-jpg.36997

Attachments

• 20190813_151850.jpg
    20190813_151850.jpg
    648.6 KB · Views: 242
Reactions: mojo37

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I just got shut out of the elevator. It stopped on one floor and I stepped out for just a second and the doors started to shut and wouldn't open despite my trying to push them open and my companion pressing both Door Open buttons. The outside door opened but the inside doors shut. I didn't even know it had 2 doors. Now it's stuck somewhere with my groceries on it and the other elevator is locked off for the construction crew working on another floor. So no working elevator for anyone in the building and the lobby clerk has no idea how to fix it and apparently doesn't know to call the fire department. I'm glad it didn't get stuck while I was on it! That has happened to other people. But I would like to have my cat food.

Do you ever think it's just not worth getting out of bed in the morning?

gennepher

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I just got shut out of the elevator. It stopped on one floor and I stepped out for just a second and the doors started to shut and wouldn't open despite my trying to push them open and my companion pressing both Door Open buttons. The outside door opened but the inside doors shut. I didn't even know it had 2 doors. Now it's stuck somewhere with my groceries on it and the other elevator is locked off for the construction crew working on another floor. So no working elevator for anyone in the building and the lobby clerk has no idea how to fix it and apparently doesn't know to call the fire department. I'm glad it didn't get stuck while I was on it! That has happened to other people. But I would like to have my cat food.

Do you ever think it's just not worth getting out of bed in the morning?

Hugs for you @SaskiaKC
A lot of hugs.
Some days are like that. Everything that cannot possibly go wrong does.

I was once locked in a lift for 2 hours. Since then I am something short of terrified of lifts.

You weren't locked in the lift. That was a huge blessing.

Unfortunately your shopping and cat food will have to wait.

Don't get frustrated.

Just make a cuppa and sit with KittenCat and count your blessings that you are sitting with her.

I will hope that you get your shopping and cat food as soon as possible.

And lots more hugs for you for today.

>^••^<

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thank you for the hugs and the good advice, @gennepher.
t4615.gif

I just spoke with the lobby clerk, who has called the elevator company, so hopefully they will get here tonight. Meanwhile the KittenCat is here, wondering what I am stressing about, as she is not stressed at all but is letting me stroke her and stroke her and stroke her ... She has not moved from my side since I sat down beside her.

Reactions: HarryBeau

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thank you for the hug, @jjraak.
t4615.gif

Do you know that whenever I read your signature info as I scroll down from reading one of your posts I think it says "The 12 ponies of evidence for LCHF"? Kinda like the 12 ponies of Christmas ...

Prayers and hopes continuing for your nephew and you and all your family.

gennepher

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thank you for the hugs and the good advice, @gennepher.
t4615.gif

I just spoke with the lobby clerk, who has called the elevator company, so hopefully they will get here tonight. Meanwhile the KittenCat is here, wondering what I am stressing about, as she is not stressed at all but is letting me stroke her and stroke her and stroke her ... She has not moved from my side since I sat down beside her.

The KittenCat knows you need some extra love at the moment @SaskiaKC
upload_2019-12-2_23-24-49.gif

Reactions: HarryBeau

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Can someone please explain why fasting BG is important for prediabetic?
Also. I have to walk to the bathroom before I can test, so is this "Foot to the floor" not Fasting?

I would call that Fasting. But I'm no expert. :)
I get up, get the coffee on, feed my cat, wash my hands, and then check my FBG.

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Can someone please explain why fasting BG is important for prediabetic?
Also. I have to walk to the bathroom before I can test, so is this "Foot to the floor" not Fasting?

If say if it's before you eat anything and reasonably close to after you rise, I say it counts.

I thinks it's more the consistency of WHEN you do IT, rather then WHERE you do it.
That way you have a consistent approach and then the trend should be easier to follow.

Muddy Cyclist

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
anyway it's now been arranged for after I have broken up for Christmas, so all good there, but then whoever the jobsworth was on the phone said that if I didn't make this appointment they would withhold my prescription.
Shameful, I think an email to the centres management politely outlining your experience with the person and asking if it is a policy of the centre to withhold prescriptions.

Since my original diagnosis I have had two further HbA1c tests and reviewed after each. I was told on diagnosis and again today I would be called for my next by text and email. I had to request both HbA1c tests, apparently the practice lets them redline for two months before they start sending text, why? I have asked this of the manager by email with no reply as of yet. Oh, and today the Pharmasist said why did you request a Cholesterol Test this time we would only usually do them every 12 months, he even said someone, I don't know who someone is, will start asking questions if this continues. I assured him I had not requested one just the HbA1c test, I'm not sure he believed me.

Like @jjraak mentioned when the NHS performs it is excellent, I have experienced this on a few occasions but often on the day to day non emergency stuff it can be very poor indeed, probably the fault of an overwhelmed system which throwing money at may help but not fix.

Then you get the sublime to the ridiculous, where the NHS and Social Services are completely out of touch with one another, and health and safety makes things difficult to perform good care, although I can see all sides to this one in the society as it is. Mrs MC's mom is 93 with very bad Alzheimer's but she is still living at home where she feels safe and with Mrs MCs organising she self funds carers who go in three times a day to help dress, wash, feed and medicate. Last week Mrs MC's mom was found on her bedroom floor by the first carer of the day who called Mrs MC to say she could not help her off the floor because she was not allowed to and had called the Paramedics who could not come for more than 2 hours as there were more urgent emergencies but not to worry as MIL was Ok even though still on the floor. Now MIL is less than 8 stone and does have enough strength if helped to get off the floor so why not let the carer try, but due to health and safety the Care Company's policy says there must be two carers to do this, surely they should allow carers to risk assess and take appropriate action? MRs Mc dashes over, well it took her 2 hours so hardly a dash. Paramedics arrive at the same time as Mrs MC, they were professional, caring and stayed and made MIL tea and chatted to her, MIL loved them, this is the brilliant side of the NHS. They told Mrs MC that lots could be done to keep MIL safe in her home and that social services would be of great help in giving advice, providing equipment putting up wall handles and such to allow MIL to stay in her own home where she was comfortable and happy. Later that week a rather stroppy social service lady got in touch with Mrs MC she was rude and angry because Mrs MC could not tell her what was required to help MIL, Mrs MC asked what can social services offer and can they come and asses the situation to provide and advise, the lady continued to be obnoxious saying there is a three part system why have you not followed it, Mrs MC explained she wasn't aware of such a system and what should she do to follow it, social service person got more stroppy eventually saying you will get a form in the post, that's the first part and rang off. Form came, filled in sent back and more phone calls, end result NOTHING they can't do anything to help. Basically if you are like MIL with a Mrs MC fighting your corner and more than a few quid in assets you are on your own, not that that's a problem, why not self fund equipment and carers if you can afford it. But surely some good advise should be given by those who must know what can be done to help old vulnerable people. Mrs MC then called MILs doctors to get a doctor to visit to check out MILs meds as Paramedics explained some of the combination of meds she was on could be causing light heads. Doctors will not do home visits and insist MIL can go to health centre, she is 92, frail and disorientated outside her home. So horns are locked battle rages, will a doctor come, I doubt it unless we start making suggestions that if MIL ends up in hospital we shall be mentioning the docs refusal to home visit to assess MIL and her medication, but how terrible if it amounts to that. Watch this space.

Sorry I have rambled on but this situation and the experience of @trick60 @gennepher many others and myself with Pharmasist must be similar all over the country, it's going to take some mending.

SlimLizzy

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
football, both the game and the culture.
If say if it's before you eat anything and reasonably close to after you rise, I say it counts.

I thinks it's more the consistency of WHEN you do IT, rather then WHERE you do it.
That way you have a consistent approach and then the trend should be easier to follow.
Ok, so still not sure why fasting BG is important and if this is what I should be testing.

trick60

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Good morning/evening folks, a straight 5.0 on the dice, very welcome especially after home made pitta pizza for tea last night.

@SaskiaKC there is a release mechanism on all lift doors, sometimes its a small round hole or an inverted V shape, the building manager should know where this key is located, generally hanging up in the lift motor room or the key safe. The key is a lever that locates into the keyhole and mechanically opens the locking mechanism enabling the doors to be pushed apart, if the lift isn't at that particular floor though you may be looking at a long drop, glad it all turned out ok for you and the KC, and good on the lobby clerk for bringing your groceries up for you.

Every blessing,
Trick