What was your fasting blood glucose? (full on chat)

gennepher

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Fbg 11.6 at 4:30 am (my usualish time for taking it)

My fault methinks.

Yesterday a friend invited me to lunch at her house. I went even though still coughing badly (#1 mistake?).

Then I found she had cooked a Xmas lunch for me. It smelt delicious, and I didn't refuse, but there was a predominance of roasted root vegetables on the plate, I meant to leave some, but I didn't (#2 mistake?) I was enjoying it too much. I could have eaten just the turkey and pigs in blankets. A slice of home made Xmas cake followed (#3 mistake), but I left the icing and sweet stuff under it.

She gave me a Xmas present when I left, and I unwrapped it immediately I got home - I knew it was going to be chocolates...it wasn't, it was Florentines. I absolutely love them, but I haven't had any since I was diagnosed as diabetic. So they are going in the car and will be dropped off at the next food bank.

So I am eating some protein now and will check again about 7am.

I am coming to the conclusion I need to pretty near rigidly stick to protein only. Well I already knew that, but this just confirms it for me.

I did see another nurse at the surgery a week ago (over another issue than diabetes), and her advice for food and drinks for my other issue went against what was good for my diabetes. I did explain to her but she got very irate with me, and I came home sort of in a turmoil because of this confusion of food advice, and I was thinking how do I do right with this eating lark? I am not the 'professional', they are, but their food advice and recommendations don't work or are not good for me.

I will get back on track.

Hugs for all those that need them...I think that includes everyone.

Have the best day possible for you. Mine is electric blanket on, going to make some nettle tea now, and I've planned for some eggs to be eaten in a few hours (I am pretty certain eggs help reduce my blood sugar readings more quickly for me more than any other protein, even more than cheese). (I ate nuts for my protein just now. My stomach is not ready for animal protein this early in the morning.).

Take care.
Look after yourselves.
Be kind to yourself.

>^••^<

Last edited:

dunelm

Master
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Good morning folks and Bon Weekend. I have not turned on the news yet so no Idea what country I have woken up to.

The wonder wheel of eating out at an Italian Restaurant last night scootered in at 5.4 this am

Not sure about today yet. Mrs Miggins is off to Birmingham with her sister to baby sit while their mum and dad go to the Winter Wonderland extravaganza in London. They are calling in to the city centre first to buy traditional Tibetan prayer bowls at the German Christmas Market.

Have a wonderful day if you can, howl at the moon if you can’t - it relieves stress.

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Fbg 11.6 at 4:30 am (my usualish time for taking it)

My fault methinks.

Yesterday a friend invited me to lunch at her house. I went even though still coughing badly (#1 mistake?).

Then I found she had cooked a Xmas lunch for me. It smelt delicious, and I didn't refuse, but there was a predominance of roasted root vegetables on the plate, I meant to leave some, but I didn't (#2 mistake?) I was enjoying it too much. I could have eaten just the turkey and pigs in blankets. A slice of home made Xmas cake followed (#3 mistake), but I left the icing and sweet stuff under it.

She gave me a Xmas present when I left, and I unwrapped it immediately I got home - I knew it was going to be chocolates...it wasn't, it was Florentines. I absolutely love them, but I haven't had any since I was diagnosed as diabetic. So they are going in the car and will be dropped off at the next food bank.

So I am eating some protein now and will check again about 7am.

I am coming to the conclusion I need to pretty near rigidly stick to protein only. Well I already knew that, but this just confirms it for me.

I did see another nurse at the surgery a week ago (over another issue than diabetes), and her advice for food and drinks for my other issue went against what was good for my diabetes. I did explain to her but she got very irate with me, and I came home sort of in a turmoil because of this confusion of food advice, and I was thinking how do I do right with this eating lark? I am not the 'professional', they are, but their food advice and recommendations don't work or are not good for me.

I will get back on track.

Hugs for all those that need them...I think that includes everyone.

Have the best day possible for you. Mine is electric blanket on, going to make some nettle tea now, and I've planned for some eggs to be eaten in a few hours (I am pretty certain eggs help reduce my blood sugar readings more quickly for me more than any other protein, even more than cheese). (I ate nuts for my protein just now. My stomach is not ready for animal protein this early in the morning.).

Take care.
Look after yourselves.
Be kind to yourself.

>^••^<

Hug of sympathy and empathy.
t4615.gif

My doctor reminded me that my most recent A1C was "good" -- alas, numbers I consider "high" she considers "good." I am sorry your nurse got irate with you; interesting that she goes by the title "nurse," which to me has always been a respectable title for a respectable profession; I was the one who got irate with the incompetent "medical assistant" at my doctor's office today. I got all formal and stiff and "correct" (which of course is not correct because my attitude wasn't) but I think it went right over her head, or rather right past her ears. It is just one of the reasons I want to move away from here -- I dread being just a unit to be processed by another unit incapable of recognizing that I have a soul as well as a body.

You are right -- you will get back on track, and I will be on the adjacent siding, trying not to build up too much of a head of steam under the pressure of having to deal with medics (as well as the pressure I put on myself!) Thank heaven for kitty cats who purr away and occasionally hiss but never blow their stacks!

t09164.gif

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Good morning to you all. Whilst trust is severely rationed these days I will pretend to believe the 5.2 shown by my meter earlier. As that reading and all others will bear absolutely no relationship to my ability to manage my T2 the number won't make a blind bit of difference anyhow. @Muddy Cyclist well done for putting events into perspective but don't be so hard on yourself. Life has been trying lately and bottling it all up is not the way forward. The ability to vent on this thread is more helpful than diabetic advice IMHO - for this relief much thanks @OldButBold . @trick60 I hope you have a ball with your Urchin - not that you need my permission or any encouraging but the wish is genuine. @gennepher sorry to hear of the conflict caused by health professionals advice but your posts suggest you are strong enough to plot your own route through this maze. Absurdly incongruous day and few weeks. Christmas sweater day, Christmas message and hope up against what happened last night. Sometimes just laughing at our folly is the only way to cope. Psalm 85 verses 4-7 needed on speed dial for the foreseeable. Hug family and friends tight, look out for the poor and needy -the landscape is bleak. It's being so cheerful as keeps me going!

Last edited:

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Good morning, everyone.

I doubt I will post FBG or even check it when I wake up a few hours from now, as it's already 1:22 am and I've just had supper. :oops:

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Good morning to you all. Whilst trust is severely rationed these days I will pretend to believe the 5.2 shown by my meter earlier. As that reading and all others will bear absolutely no relationship to my ability to manage my T2 the number won't make a blind bit of difference anyhow. @Muddy Cyclist well done for putting events into perspective but don't be so hard on yourself. Life has been trying lately and bottling it all up is not the way forward. The ability to vent on this thread is more helpful than diabetic advice IMHO - for that small service much thanks @OldButBold . @trick60 I hope you have a ball with your Urchin - not that you need my permission or any encouraging but the wish is genuine. @gennepher sorry to hear of the conflict caused by health professionals advice but your posts suggest you are strong enough to plot your own route through this maze. Absurdly incongruous day and few weeks. Christmas sweater day, Christmas message and hope up against what happened last night. Sometimes just laughing at our folly is the only way to cope. Psalm 85 verses 4-7 needed on speed dial for the foreseeable. Hug family and friends tight, look out for the poor and needy -the landscape is bleak. It's being so cheerful as keeps me going!

Hear! Hear!

Reactions: gennepher

gennepher

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hug of sympathy and empathy.
t4615.gif

My doctor reminded me that my most recent A1C was "good" -- alas, numbers I consider "high" she considers "good." I am sorry your nurse got irate with you; interesting that she goes by the title "nurse," which to me has always been a respectable title for a respectable profession; I was the one who got irate with the incompetent "medical assistant" at my doctor's office today. I got all formal and stiff and "correct" (which of course is not correct because my attitude wasn't) but I think it went right over her head, or rather right past her ears. It is just one of the reasons I want to move away from here -- I dread being just a unit to be processed by another unit incapable of recognizing that I have a soul as well as a body.

You are right -- you will get back on track, and I will be on the adjacent siding, trying not to build up too much of a head of steam under the pressure of having to deal with medics (as well as the pressure I put on myself!) Thank heaven for kitty cats who purr away and occasionally hiss but never blow their stacks!

t09164.gif

Thanks @SaskiaKC

There are times when they don't listen or take in one word you say to them, as if you are an object with no thoughts, or feelings, as though you have no sentinence.

Popeye sends his love to KittenCat
h2620.gif

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Good morning to you all. Whilst trust is severely rationed these days I will pretend to believe the 5.2 shown by my meter earlier. As that reading and all others will bear absolutely no relationship to my ability to manage my T2 the number won't make a blind bit of difference anyhow. @Muddy Cyclist well done for putting events into perspective but don't be so hard on yourself. Life has been trying lately and bottling it all up is not the way forward. The ability to vent on this thread is more helpful than diabetic advice IMHO - for that small service much thanks @OldButBold . @trick60 I hope you have a ball with your Urchin - not that you need my permission or any encouraging but the wish is genuine. @gennepher sorry to hear of the conflict caused by health professionals advice but your posts suggest you are strong enough to plot your own route through this maze. Absurdly incongruous day and few weeks. Christmas sweater day, Christmas message and hope up against what happened last night. Sometimes just laughing at our folly is the only way to cope. Psalm 85 verses 4-7 needed on speed dial for the foreseeable. Hug family and friends tight, look out for the poor and needy -the landscape is bleak. It's being so cheerful as keeps me going!

And v 10 reminded me of the chapter in Gaudy Night in which Harriet Vane and the Dean go to hear the University sermon.

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Morning All. 5.6 for me today. Sipping tea and trying to decide which Christmas jumper to wear today. @trick60 enjoy having GD home for the hols. @gennepher I still get a pack of Florentines at Christmas and I dont think one with a cup of tea does too much harm. Thats my alibi anyway. Your Christmas dinner sounded lovely. @SaskiaKC your midnight feast made me laugh. Hope the KC joined in.
Need to buy more cards and stamps today. Wonder how long this practice will continue. Cards received well down on last year. I do quite like hanging them up as part of the decorations but the stamps do end up costing a lot. My children do not send cards other than Mothers Day.
Have a great Friday everyone. Stay/get well, stay safe.

Muddy Cyclist

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Good morning and a 6 I know why, I satisfied my mood with almost half a bar of 90% chocolate at 1.am that's 7 grams of carbs before bed, slap on the wrist, but it was nice.

Wheels, MILs health care, hospitals to sort today then off to our sons for the evening so a good end to the day.

Seems like muppet party won the day so today more words from dads army come to mind this time from Jones the grocer "don't panic, Captain Mannering, don't panic"

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Morning all. 6.3 this morning: higher than I’d like but loads better than yesterday.
Stayed up to watch a bit of the results last night. I just had to see the announcement from my former constituency of Uxbridge, Boris’s seat, and although the result may have been a foregone conclusion I loved seeing him on stage next to Count Binface, Lord Buckethead, Elmo and the Interplanetary Timelord. There is a lot of mileage in that line up.
Off for a spa day with my girls to celebrate eldest’s birthday today.
@gennepher and @SaskiaKC agree, going against health professionals and their advice is exhausting. I had a letter from my surgery yesterday telling me my HbA1c, cholesterol and BP. All were fine and was told it meant I was currently in remission. The advice given was to ‘continue following the diet recommended for diabetics’ which is not what I’m doing at all. I am going to make an appointment with them to discuss it. Will be taking a few deep breaths first.
@PenguinMum which jumper have you chosen for today?
Good luck with your pod change @karen8967 I’m glad you are getting on well with the pump.
@trick60 enjoy the time with your urchin, is it her first year?

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Good morning and a 6 I know why, I satisfied my mood with almost half a bar of 90% chocolate at 1.am that's 7 grams of carbs before bed, slap on the wrist, but it was nice.

Wheels, MILs health care, hospitals to sort today then off to our sons for the evening so a good end to the day.

Seems like muppet party won the day so today more words from dads army come to mind this time from Jones the grocer "don't panic, Captain Mannering, don't panic"

I think the chocolate was absolutely necessary, sometimes only chocolate will do.

SlimLizzy

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
football, both the game and the culture.
13-12-19
Slept late this morning, daylight when i woke.
FBG 5.3 Yay
but weight is down 47.2kg ooh dear.
now need to find a wayto keep BG down and stop losing weight.
Now just under 7and a half stone
Even I agree that is too low.

Need to check on election results. Managed a postal vote. MrSlims did not arrive, to his great disgust.

Another very blowy night, think we have a other tree down. Will be outside checking after breakfast, which obviously needs to be more substantial than it has been this last week.
Making, or hoping to make nut granola ×3 and parsley honey today. MrSlim has started making noises about leaving earlier than 23rd and possibly getting a UK job so I really must get it all finished ASAP.
Wishing a speedy recovery to those under the weather.

Last edited:

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Morning all. 6.3 this morning: higher than I’d like but loads better than yesterday.
Stayed up to watch a bit of the results last night. I just had to see the announcement from my former constituency of Uxbridge, Boris’s seat, and although the result may have been a foregone conclusion I loved seeing him on stage next to Count Binface, Lord Buckethead, Elmo and the Interplanetary Timelord. There is a lot of mileage in that line up.
Off for a spa day with my girls to celebrate eldest’s birthday today.
@gennepher and @SaskiaKC agree, going against health professionals and their advice is exhausting. I had a letter from my surgery yesterday telling me my HbA1c, cholesterol and BP. All were fine and was told it meant I was currently in remission. The advice given was to ‘continue following the diet recommended for diabetics’ which is not what I’m doing at all. I am going to make an appointment with them to discuss it. Will be taking a few deep breaths first.
@PenguinMum which jumper have you chosen for today?
Good luck with your pod change @karen8967 I’m glad you are getting on well with the pump.
@trick60 enjoy the time with your urchin, is it her first year?
Winner for being in remission. I assume you decided long ago to stop taking metformin and I missed that snippet. Real conflict between being pleased for you and abject despair that this just doesn't work for me. Enjoy your day and hopefully it will help shed the lurgy.
now need to find a wayto keep BG down and stop losing weight.
As soon as you find a way let me know asap. Fasting and eating fresh air just makes me wake up early with no discernible benefit on bg. Is your weight loss a recent phenomenon or or have you always been on the slim side hence the username?

Last edited: