What was your fasting blood glucose? (full on chat)

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Winner for being in remission. I assume you decided long ago to stop taking metformin and I missed that snippet. Real conflict between being pleased for you and abject despair that this just doesn't work for me. Enjoy your day and hopefully it will help shed the lurgy.

Thanks, yes I stopped metformin in the spring. I have such a feeling of freedom now I don’t take any meds at all. A couple of years ago I used to travel with a carrier bag of everything, and had reminders set on my phone for all of them - my day was ruled by all the beeps.
I still don’t understand why you say it doesn’t work for you though? I know you don’t like low carb woe but your numbers are great, your control seems excellent to me. Surely that means it is working?

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Morning all. 6.3 this morning: higher than I’d like but loads better than yesterday.
Stayed up to watch a bit of the results last night. I just had to see the announcement from my former constituency of Uxbridge, Boris’s seat, and although the result may have been a foregone conclusion I loved seeing him on stage next to Count Binface, Lord Buckethead, Elmo and the Interplanetary Timelord. There is a lot of mileage in that line up.
Off for a spa day with my girls to celebrate eldest’s birthday today.
@gennepher and @SaskiaKC agree, going against health professionals and their advice is exhausting. I had a letter from my surgery yesterday telling me my HbA1c, cholesterol and BP. All were fine and was told it meant I was currently in remission. The advice given was to ‘continue following the diet recommended for diabetics’ which is not what I’m doing at all. I am going to make an appointment with them to discuss it. Will be taking a few deep breaths first.
@PenguinMum which jumper have you chosen for today?
Good luck with your pod change @karen8967 I’m glad you are getting on well with the pump.
@trick60 enjoy the time with your urchin, is it her first year?
Its unbelievable that they still believe the old advice. My A1c and lipids are first thing on Monday so will have to see. As long as I am under 40 I wont worry but the wider the comfort zone the better. I have a new DN who is very young and more up to date with LC. She told me that she and her mum, neither Diabetic, used it to lose weight.
Enjoy your spa day. I went for the new Penguin jumper!

Reactions: HarryBeau and DJC3

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I still don’t understand why you say it doesn’t work for you though? I know you don’t like low carb woe but your numbers are great, your control seems excellent to me. Surely that means it is working? No it is not
I couldn't disagree more as regards my own numbers and control
A couple of years ago I used to travel with a carrier bag of everything, and had reminders set on my phone for all of them - my day was ruled by all the beeps.
but absolutely rejoice for you for the freedom from the tyranny of that regime.

Last edited:

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Its unbelievable that they still believe the old advice. My A1c and lipids are first thing on Monday so will have to see. As long as I am under 40 I wont worry but the wider the comfort zone the better. I have a new DN who is very young and more up to date with LC. She told me that she and her mum, neither Diabetic, used it to lose weight.
Enjoy your spa day. I went for the new Penguin jumper!

Good jumper choice!
Also good luck on Monday, I know what you mean about the comfort zone though - it’s nice to have a bit of wriggle room. My letter said my target was to be under 58! That seems a very high threshold.

dogslife

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Unfairness/ use of offensive language.
What a day, I managed to get Granddaughters guitar for Christmas but after that it all went down hill.
Voting I had the choice of Conservative, Labour, Greens only three parties represented, what a state of affairs. Yes I voted for one but what a shambles.
MIL visit horrendous. Tried 3 Car Parks at hospital, each in turn said SPACES and let me in. Inside each parking area there were at least a dozen other cars all looking for the non existent spaces, chaos. I dropped off Mrs MC and parked a mile away in a non hospital car park.
Then the hospital is putting the pressure on to get MIL into a Nursing Home ASAP, I understand they need MIL's bed but all feels very cold and uneasy.
Then on driving to Shropshire for choir which we needed for a break from all the emotional stuff. BANG in a dark lane we hit a huge pothole and had a blowout. Our sporty VW Golf runs on large alloy wheels and so in a very dark wet lane I find myself risking life and limb and fighting big wheels and tire to put on the spare space saver.
Home now, missed choir, fed up.

So will I wake up tomorrow to a better world, I doubt it.

On the positive side we are home, warm, fed, Mrs MC cookes a mean omelette, so shouldn't complain we have many blessings.
Hope today is a much better one for you than yesterday @ Muddy Cyclist. These things always seem to happen when we are already stressed!

Reactions: ianpspurs

gennepher

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Need to buy more cards and stamps today. Wonder how long this practice will continue. Cards received well down on last year. I do quite like hanging them up as part of the decorations but the stamps do end up costing a lot.

Thanks @PenguinMum

Cards received for me are going down also. But that is fine for me as I make my own cards...less to make for next year!

But I also have friends who don’t want to receive paper cards etc, so I make email cards for them. Either a photo of a robin I have taken from my back garden, or a photo of one of my painted cards, and I put a bit of text on the picture personalising them for each person. People find them special, and I have no idea why because it only takes me a moment to to to do words personal to each recipient on the front of each email ‘card’. It is actually much easier than doing a hundred or more individually painted cards, because I only have to paint the one card or do the one photo initially for the email.

From them, I get Internet Xmas cards, some sites are free, other sites like Jackie Lawson (I think it is) one of my friends sends me a moving card she has bought from there or an advent calendar leading up to Xmas with different moving scenes each day. I can’t imagine that would be very cheap, but it is what she does for all her friends and relatives.

Last edited:

gennepher

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@gennepher and @SaskiaKC agree, going against health professionals and their advice is exhausting. I had a letter from my surgery yesterday telling me my HbA1c, cholesterol and BP. All were fine and was told it meant I was currently in remission. The advice given was to ‘continue following the diet recommended for diabetics’ which is not what I’m doing at all. I am going to make an appointment with them to discuss it. Will be taking a few deep breaths first.

It is hard work @DJC3 to be constantly doing this. Good luck when you get that appointment!

alf_Josiah

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People that point out my spelling mistakes
Morening from Tory controlled Tilehurst.

Wow what an unexpected set of readings, I was totally aware of how illness effects blood sugars, but these following readings have raised my level bewilderment to new heights.
Last night pre evening meal 15.3
Fasting this level morning 6.6
Now with all my other medical issues normal diabetic protocols do not apply and I am used to this. Enough of my quandaries.

Well folks what an strange outcome on this post election day, it seems for good or bad we are stuck with Boris the Beast as I choose to call him, other names available.
Let us hope this new bunch of politicians play honestly.
I will take this opportunity to wish you all a good, happy day, remember the stranger smiling at you, might just have wind.

Reactions: SaskiaKC

HarryBeau

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Morning yes I'm late I know...odd day yesterday still tired after the recent mad round of work...while sipping my coffee I inadvertently spilt a couple of drops of coffee on my keyboard...although I wiped them off immediately later I discovered two keys were not working...the most important one 'T' & 'E' both in my password...grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr...off this morning to get a wireless keyboard am using that now...it will be difficult to get my laptop keys repaired it has so much privileged & confidential information on it...I've had a quick read through the posts really I have nothing to complain about.

karen8967

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Morning all. 6.3 this morning: higher than I’d like but loads better than yesterday.
Stayed up to watch a bit of the results last night. I just had to see the announcement from my former constituency of Uxbridge, Boris’s seat, and although the result may have been a foregone conclusion I loved seeing him on stage next to Count Binface, Lord Buckethead, Elmo and the Interplanetary Timelord. There is a lot of mileage in that line up.
Good luck with your pod change @karen8967 I’m glad you are getting on well with the pump.
thanks DJC3 was at clinic this morning for a pod change bit of tweaking done so thats it till wednesday now and i will do my own solo change on monday x

trick60

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

Yes her first year, it's been a terrible wrench for us and we miss her terribly, so it will be fantastic to have her home.

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
7.7 this morning, after I checked out of habit despite post-midnight feast. Better than I'd expected.

Plans to walk to the post office and grocery store hampered by rain, but at least it's only rain -- how can it not be snow or sleet when it's 3 degrees outside? Answer -- it's been 44 years since I studied meteorology.

Talk of Christmas cards -- I am sending out a total of 2 this year, plus one New Year's card. I remember back when my parents ordered pre-printed Christmas cards every year and I had the privilege and pleasure of helping Papa send them out -- I progressed from getting to apply the Christmas Seals stickers to the backs of the envelopes, to applying the postage stamps, to checking some of the names and addresses on the long list, to being the one sent out to shop for the cards and helping to address the envelopes, and the reminder that "progress" isn't always the positive thing the world would have us believe it is.

In the whirlwind of elections and impeachments I catch "a still, small voice" that reminds me that cats and dogs, ponies and frogs, have no idea what their numbers are or any concept of numbers other than "are all the litter/herd/pack present and well?" I have had the privilege and pleasure of spending some Christmas Eves in stables and perhaps it is only humans who need what the old Prayer Book called "comfortable words" such as those of Job 12:7-10.

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
HbA1c came back as 40 - can't lie and say that is good or pleasing. Very different from finger prick tests and last 4 lab results have incrementally risen from 5.5 to 5.8 since June 2018 when I started fasts and weight dipped to 72.4 kgs , yesterday was 73 kgs, Good news is cholesterol and ratios thereof good and everything normal. Unfortunately, this is a diabetes forum which believes in LC for management and I am obviously failing. Working smarter may be the way forward but this has become a very difficult woe for me.

Last edited:

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
HbA1c came back as 40 - can't lie and say that is good or pleasing. Very different from finger prick tests and last 4 lab results have incrementally risen. All the while this woe has become more and more difficult. Not given to quitting but it does give me reason to doubt the value of trying so hard. I do know other members find the A1c nowhere near finger pricks and have read that there are/is an alternative version for those whose blood counts suggest the standard test overplays things. That is probably clutching at straws and the fact remains that result is not good enough and since June 2018 when I started fasts and weight dipped to 72.4 kgs , yesterday was 73 kgs, numbers have gone up 1 by 1 from 5.5 to 5.8. Good news is cholesterol and ratios thereof good and everything normal. The bad news is this is a diabetes forum which believes in LC for management and I am obviously failing. Working smarter may be the way forward but this has become a very difficult woe for me.
Sorry you are disappointed but I would highly suspect your recent illness and treatment pushed your A1c up. Dont be too dispondent, maybe repeat in 6 months or even less. Best wishes.

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Good jumper choice!
Also good luck on Monday, I know what you mean about the comfort zone though - it’s nice to have a bit of wriggle room. My letter said my target was to be under 58! That seems a very high threshold.
I wonder if that was a typo and they meant 48!

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks @PenguinMum

Cards received for me are going down also. But that is fine for me as I make my own cards...less to make for next year!

But I also have friends who don’t want to receive paper cards etc, so I make email cards for them. Either a photo of a robin I have taken from my back garden, or a photo of one of my painted cards, and I put a bit of text on the picture personalising them for each person. People find them special, and I have no idea why because it only takes me a moment to to to do words personal to each recipient on the front of each email ‘card’. It is actually much easier than doing a hundred or more individually painted cards, because I only have to paint the one card or do the one photo initially for the email.

From them, I get Internet Xmas cards, some sites are free, other sites like Jackie Lawson (I think it is) one of my friends sends me a moving card she has bought from there or an advent calendar leading up to Xmas with different moving scenes each day. I can’t imagine that would be very cheap, but it is what she does for all her friends and relatives.
Your homemade cards would be very special to receive. I am a bit old fashioned and dont like e cards because I find I just look at them once whereas I see the real ones every time I walk into the room. The only issue is the waste of paper, though I reuse mine as much as possible. I am very appreciative of receiving a card, its such a kind act.

Reactions: HarryBeau

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Sorry you are disappointed but I would highly suspect your recent illness and treatment pushed your A1c up. Dont be too dispondent, maybe repeat in 6 months or even less. Best wishes.
Thanks @PenguinMum. At least 1 of the drugs related to the August events are said to increase insulin resistance but that doesn't explain difference between finger prick and A1c. Red blood cell count and haemoglobin concentration being below recommended levels may have an impact.

Last edited: