What was your fasting blood glucose? (full on chat)

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
For the cat and dog lovers..

How to tell when the cat rules..

IMG-20191213-WA0004.jpg

Attachments

• IMG-20191213-WA0004.jpg
    IMG-20191213-WA0004.jpg
    145.2 KB · Views: 224
Reactions: DJC3 and karen8967

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
HbA1c came back as 40 - can't lie and say that is good or pleasing. Very different from finger prick tests and last 4 lab results have incrementally risen 1 by 1 from 5.5 to 5.8 . All the while this woe has become more and more difficult. Not given to quitting but it does give me reason to doubt the value of trying so hard. I do know other members find the A1c nowhere near finger pricks and have read that there are/is an alternative version for those whose blood counts suggest the standard test overplays things. That is probably clutching at straws and the fact remains that result is not good enough. Since June 2018 when I started fasts and weight dipped to 72.4 kgs , yesterday was 73 kgs, numbers have gone up Good news is cholesterol and ratios thereof good and everything normal. The bad news is this is a diabetes forum which believes in LC for management and I am obviously failing. Working smarter may be the way forward but this has become a very difficult woe for me.

For me too. On LCHF, weight went down, BP went down, BG went down. LDL went up. When I went off LCHF, LDL went down, weight and BG went up, BP stayed about the same.
While I personally would rather have higher BG do its slower damage over the years than have a stroke or heart attack take me out in one fell swoop or leave me an invalid for years, what I would REALLY prefer would be a diet that would keep weight, BG, BP, and LDL numbers all in the lower range of numbers and yet let me feel good enough to enjoy day-to-day life.

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
What happens next? Does Boris meet with the Queen and get told to form a new government? Or does the government just carry on from where they have been?

Now the democratic principles has been upheld.

Boris meets with the Queen for permission to form a new government, normally he then has to grovel and bow to our new masters, Twitter and Facebook, for permission to run the show as they see fit.

But in this case I think the confusion between the opinion of some online and real life public opinion means we can dispense with that part... ...For now..;)

:D

Last edited:

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes her first year, it's been a terrible wrench for us and we miss her terribly, so it will be fantastic to have her home.

I bet she’s been really looking forward to coming home too. It’s such a culture shock for them when they first fly the nest even though it’s exciting. She will certainly appreciate the home comforts now. Have a super evening.

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
HbA1c came back as 40 - can't lie and say that is good or pleasing. Very different from finger prick tests and last 4 lab results have incrementally risen from 5.5 to 5.8 since June 2018 when I started fasts and weight dipped to 72.4 kgs , yesterday was 73 kgs, Good news is cholesterol and ratios thereof good and everything normal. Unfortunately, this is a diabetes forum which believes in LC for management and I am obviously failing. Working smarter may be the way forward but this has become a very difficult woe for me.

Only just seen this. Obviously it’s still non diabetic which is good but I can quite see your disappointment as your finger prick tests are very much lower, and it would be nice to have those good numbers vindicated.
Lots of things affect HbA1c though. Did you have a full blood count too? HbA1c is significantly influenced by RBC turnover indices, so low MCH and MCHC. Also low ferritin and vitamin B12 and folate will negatively affect it.
Biological systems are far more complex than we can imagine and reducing the result to a number to make it easy for us mere mortals to understand and so clinicians don’t have to spend any more time trying to understand it, is a vast oversimplification.

Krystyna23040

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks @PenguinMum. At least 1 of the drugs related to the August events are said to increase insulin resistance but that doesn't explain difference between finger prick and A1c. Red blood cell count and haemoglobin concentration being below recommended levels may have an impact.
I wouldn't be at all surprised if red blood cell count and haemoglobin concentration being below recommended levels are the culprits.

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
HUnfortunately, this is a diabetes forum which believes in LC for management and I am obviously failing. Working smarter may be the way forward but this has become a very difficult woe for me.

For what it may be worth, @ianpspurs - I for one do not believe in LC to the exclusion of other ways of eating. I do not observe LCHF, because I do not believe it is healthful for me. For some it may work, but, as you say, this is a diabetes forum where we post our FBG numbers every morning, not our LDL numbers (because we don't check those every day). I have seen that for some members, LCHF does not negatively affect LDL numbers; I have seen that some other members do not consider high LDL numbers to be a threat to overall health.

I am obviously failing at managing my weight, and I believe that working smarter, for me, would be cutting out even sugar-free soft drinks, and giving up ALL bakery foods. But going back to LCHF, on which diet I did lose weight, would not be smarter, or successful, for me. :)

Muddy Cyclist

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
HbA1c came back as 40 - can't lie and say that is good or pleasing.
Understand your frustration and disappointment but you are out of prediabetic Numbers which counts for a lot. I don't think any of this journey trying to mend ourselves is ever going to be easy, there will always be questions unanswered but we are all trying our best and your drive to succeed is admirable and uplifting to many here, myself included. Useing your own words, don't beat yourself up to much, it's still a good result.

Reactions: dunelm and SaskiaKC

Muddy Cyclist

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
What happens next? Does Boris meet with the Queen and get told to form a new government? Or does the government just carry on from where they have been?
I for one sincerely hope they don't carry on as they were before. With the majority they have and the power that gives them I hope they take stock, realise it's ordinary people who have trusted them with our country and do something great, I hold my breath in anticipation but suspect I may be disappointed. But at least we will not have to go through all this again for another 5 years.

gennepher

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Fang...
That was spellcheck’s version of fbg

First try got me a 12.1
NO! That is not possible from the good way (for me) I ate yesterday.
I know my blood sugars are still going down from the Xmas Meals etc. But that reading was ridiculous.

So, washed hands again, fired them, actually I didn’t fire my hands, I dried them. Spellcheck is going bananas this morning.

So second try with the fang instrument. And I got an 8.3.
I’ll go with that.
BUT tomorrow HAS to be a 7.something.
That is my order to the universe...

Have a good weekend. I believe the sun has been scheduled to make an appearance.

Hugs for those who would like some.

Take care x

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Morning All. 6.9 this morning due two tiny roast potatoes not much bigger than marbles. I cooked them for Mr PM and somehow they found their way on to my plate. I will have to take the good that yet again I have proved to myself I cannot have starch.
Pottering day today, a few more cards and letters to write. Hope its not as cold as yesterday. Hope you all have a good Saturday and some good news comes your way.
Stay/get well. Stay safe.

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
So a day of commemoration for John of The Cross and being an Ember day, potentially a fast. Fbg on my meter was 5.4 but bearing in mind lab results major doubts in my mind over how accurate that is and just how useful testing is for me. @Krystyna23040 and @DJC3 full blood count has a message borderline - I assume these 2 chaps are the reason: Haemoglobin concentration 122 g/L [135.0 - 172.0] Below low reference limit Haematocrit 0.388 L/L [0.395 - 0.505] Below low reference limit I have read that this type of result may skew A1c and also that there is an alternative test/version to take this into account. Maybe not a day for fasting based on those issues! @Muddy Cyclist thanks for the kind words but that drive is a blessing and a curse - it needs way less rest than I do (but we both slept well last night). Today is an Isaiah 35 day but other reasons to be cheerful are available - just ask the late Mr I Drury and his Blockheads.

trick60

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Good morning/evening folks, a 5.1 on the dice, probably fake news. Eye test today so sunglasses and Roy Orbison impressions to follow for the rest of the day or at least until the wife gets so fed up with them that she shouts at me.

Have a lovely weekend all, hugs to those that need them, but just virtual ones because I am full of chronic manflu, (but being very brave about it).

Muddy Cyclist

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Good morning and another high for me 5.9, and weight still dropping,

Today is supposed to be an enjoyable day with our granddaughters and son on a visit to Blenheim Christmas. Mrs MC is visiting MIL in hospital this morning and depends on how she finds her mom I know it may be difficult for her to leave her bedside.

Search for all good things from your day.

Reactions: karen8967

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
For what it may be worth, @ianpspurs - I for one do not believe in LC to the exclusion of other ways of eating. I do not observe LCHF, because I do not believe it is healthful for me. For some it may work, but, as you say, this is a diabetes forum where we post our FBG numbers every morning, not our LDL numbers (because we don't check those every day). I have seen that for some members, LCHF does not negatively affect LDL numbers; I have seen that some other members do not consider high LDL numbers to be a threat to overall health.

I am obviously failing at managing my weight, and I believe that working smarter, for me, would be cutting out even sugar-free soft drinks, and giving up ALL bakery foods. But going back to LCHF, on which diet I did lose weight, would not be smarter, or successful, for me. :)
Thanks for the tag and kind thoughts that lie behind. Fortunately, my lipids seem to be one of the success stories of my reviews. I hope your regime brings the results all your efforts deserve. As always, pleasure to read your postings and GBY and Kitten cat.

Reactions: Debandez and jjraak