What was your fasting blood glucose? (full on chat)

Muddy Cyclist

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@Muddy Cyclist , I love this genre of music. I was introduced to it by a couple of guys called Pete Stanley and Wizz Jones who used to stay with us when I was a boy. We spent some time walking in the Appalachians in the 90’s and then stayed with family in Asheville, North Carolina for a summer of singing, clogging and all things Pete Seeger (my mum is great friends with Peggy, still alive and living in Oxford).
Wow, lucky man @dunelm what great performers you have rubbed shoulders with. Did you never think about picking up a Banjo, Fiddle or Mandolin?

dunelm

Master
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Wow, lucky man @dunelm what great performers you have rubbed shoulders with. Did you never think about picking up a Banjo, Fiddle or Mandolin?

I did play guitar when I was at school, before I joined the military - then it was a piper in a pipe band - not played those for years although I do, occasionally, dig out my practice chanter to annoy the neighbours and get the cats singing.
My mum sang in folk clubs and played numerous instruments, folk singers in the 50’s and 60’s seemed to spend their lives sleeping on each other’s sofas or in spare rooms.

dunelm

Master
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Whitby Abbey is all lit up at night at this time of year - probably to annoy Bram Stoker.
Not mine but thought you might like to see this excellent photo of it.

upload_2019-12-18_11-12-37.jpeg

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Sounds great and the chatting to other dog walkers is something I miss massively. I could just walk but a) people are less inclined to chat and b) involuntarily on a no exercise routine (although I may break that as I am so bored)

I found I missed it tremendously too. Didn’t seem a lot of point walking without a dog. I got to the stage of stalking dog walkers before I realised perhaps it was time to get another one. You’ll have a new pal soon, what breed will you get? Puppy or rescue?

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Morning All. 6.5 and the HC selector pack is now empty! Have to be quick as my power being switched off at 0900 for 5 hours for maintenance work. Why on the 18 Dec when all our fridges are full of festive food :banghead: @SaskiaKC you have made great progress so well done for persevering. The horse is adorable and a kind act...I love the idea of you cantering around on it :) @trick60 only two more sleeps and your Christmas starts. @DJC3 great festive bin bags and hope you get somewhere with the allergy investigation. @HarryBeau Olivia will play all day so expect the kittens to be exhausted when you get back. @Debandez thanks for posting the recipe. Sorry if I have overlooked anyone but the clock is ticking down, must dash. Hugs to all.
Stay/get well, stay safe.

Can’t believe your power will be off for 5 hrs! Ridiculous! Have they been talking to @SaskiaKC ‘s apartment management?

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I found I missed it tremendously too. Didn’t seem a lot of point walking without a dog. I got to the stage of stalking dog walkers before I realised perhaps it was time to get another one. You’ll have a new pal soon, what breed will you get? Puppy or rescue?
Not sure about the breed but I was very attached to the lab. I think puppy may be the safe choice with the grandchildren and never being totally sure of the story behind a rescue. We did look at rehoming retired guide dogs after some chats with a guy on the last few walks with the setter.

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thank you, everyone, for your friendly, supportive posts about the maintenance situation at my apartment. :) @PenguinMum I wish you could transfer your holiday foods to my fridge for the duration -- I promise I would try not to sample any of them! :)
A woman in the elevator last night invited my cat and me to stay in her apartment if we need a place -- she doesn't know me from Adam's house cat so absolutely defines the word "neighbor."

I slept so well last night that I utterly forgot to check FBG this morning, after waking to the KittenCat's slumbering weight on my back -- Smokey used to sleep on my back a lot but the KittenCat has only tried it once or twice.

At the grocery store yesterday, the bagger helping me unload my shopping basket in the checkout lane looked at all the cat food and said, "You must have 7 cats." I said, "No, just one very picky one." Just this morning I have set out a smorgasbord of choices, only to have all refused in favor of Brushing Bites treats.

I am now being summoned back to bed ... ^. .^

Reactions: geefull and DJC3

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi back in business all powered up. I used the time to go to several big supermarkets and had a leisurely coffee. I notice no one @DJC3 or @SaskiaKC mentioned the fast disappearance of the Hotel Chocolate selector pack. Just as well I only bought the one! Those Gianduja pralines are a bit too nice. Glad to hear of the kindly neighbour in the lift even if you dont accept the offer. Why are cats so picky? Have a good day.
Re Christmas tips for bin men several years ago there was literally war as different teams collected the household and recyclable. We used to all in our street selotape a card with money to the lids. The other crew came round early morning and did a grab. The intended recipients downed tools and the Council rang us all and said not to give tips anymore due the trouble between the crews.

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Whitby Abbey is all lit up at night at this time of year - probably to annoy Bram Stoker.
Not mine but thought you might like to see this excellent photo of it.

View attachment 37287

That is such an attractive photo. I wish the KittenCat and I could spend Christmas there, prowling the Abbey by night and catnapping in a harbour-side hotel by day.

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi back in business all powered up. I used the time to go to several big supermarkets and had a leisurely coffee. I notice no one @DJC3 or @SaskiaKC mentioned the fast disappearance of the Hotel Chocolate selector pack. Just as well I only bought the one! Those Gianduja pralines are a bit too nice. Glad to hear of the kindly neighbour in the lift even if you dont accept the offer. Why are cats so picky? Have a good day.
Re Christmas tips for bin men several years ago there was literally war as different teams collected the household and recyclable. We used to all in our street selotape a card with money to the lids. The other crew came round early morning and did a grab. The intended recipients downed tools and the Council rang us all and said not to give tips anymore due the trouble between the crews.

Haha I did notice the Hotel Chocolate blip but thought it better not to mention it. I have no willpower whatsoever when it comes to chocolate so I’d be the last person to point the finger!
A similar thing to your bin tipping occurrence happened at our old place but the council didn’t step in which is a shame. Mr C set his alarm today and got up early and gave the tip to the driver. Driving a bin lorry himself he knows that sometimes the loaders pocket the tips and don’t share with the team. It’s hard to know what to do for the best.

Reactions: HarryBeau

geefull

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
good afternoon all :)

was 4.7 this morning

it was freezing cold this morning for our trip to the cemeteries with the Christmas wreaths, however it is a visit Mum feels is part of her Christmas.

I'm going to have a bash at some lc lemon almond shortbread biscuits this evening to see how that goes :)

Hope your day is treating you well :)

Reactions: HarryBeau

dogslife

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Unfairness/ use of offensive language.
Good Morning and a 6.3 for me, expected lower as at midnight it was 5 but there you go.

@HarryBeau must be something in the air, I woke at 3am and like you thought I had slept well, it was not until I got down stairs I realised how early it was so went straight back to bed.

More care home searching today for MIL whilst there are lots around it is narrowed down by the End Of Life requirement and the terrible ratings, official reviews not users reviews, a nightmare. Mind you MIL will probably not have to worry, although she is on busy hospital ward she is convinced she is at her Aunt Enid's and its lovely, you have to find a little humour in this tragic disease.

May today treat you all as you would wish to be.
My empathy/ sympathy for your care home search, @Muddy Cyclist, having been in a similar situation recently. Best wishes.
Good Morning and a 6.3 for me, expected lower as at midnight it was 5 but there you go.

@HarryBeau must be something in the air, I woke at 3am and like you thought I had slept well, it was not until I got down stairs I realised how early it was so went straight back to bed.

More care home searching today for MIL whilst there are lots around it is narrowed down by the End Of Life requirement and the terrible ratings, official reviews not users reviews, a nightmare. Mind you MIL will probably not have to worry, although she is on busy hospital ward she is convinced she is at her Aunt Enid's and its lovely, you have to find a little humour in this tragic disease.

May today treat you all as you would wish to be.

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Haha I did notice the Hotel Chocolate blip but thought it better not to mention it. I have no willpower whatsoever when it comes to chocolate so I’d be the last person to point the finger!
A similar thing to your bin tipping occurrence happened at our old place but the council didn’t step in which is a shame. Mr C set his alarm today and got up early and gave the tip to the driver. Driving a bin lorry himself he knows that sometimes the loaders pocket the tips and don’t share with the team. It’s hard to know what to do for the best.

Occurrences like this are the reason we have Christmas in the first place. The tip-pocketing, I mean, not the chocolate!
It's starting to look really ironic to me. There's so much talk about keeping "the true meaning of Christmas" -- and now this Christmas I keep seeing signs pointing to people's Christmas peace and joy being disrupted, and it seems that the true meaning of Christmas is being pointed out again and again, all over the place. And I probably should rejoice but I feel more like wanting to bang people's heads together and say "Cut it out!" Or banging my own head against a brick wall.