jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
If you follow a low carb diet why would you need to test? 90% of money spent on Diabetes is on T2’s already, without adding this on top. I’m sorry if I offend anyone, but that’s how I feel. As a mother of a 12 year old that’s had T1 for 8 years this month, and has no such option as a low carb diet to reverse her diagnosis, this is something I have always felt strongly about!

Hi @Asleuk
Absolutely agree that the worries about your child SHOULD at the top of most peoples lists.
i have no argument at all with that statement.. THAT IS money well spent.

Recently the papers have had a blitz of the tsunami of Type 2 patients overwhelming doctors/hospitals,
here is one among many last few weeks and over the last several years, and the Numbers just KEEP on building up
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...diabetics-DAY-One-10-admissions-diabetes.html
what DIDN'T work before IS the Default position for many in the TYPE 2 world of health care, it seems to me.

What IF, just by spending less then a £1 a day for 90 days we could help many of those manage their T2 better,
meaning less of us in the waiting room, taking up valuable surgery time. AND potentially remove many of us T2D's from hospital wards, over the next one year, 5 years, and into the foreseeable future.?

That £90 seems like money WELL spent, especially so for some one who IS in dire need, like maybe your child, who needs that doctors appointment, this week rather then 4 weeks time, Or needs some time in hospital, maybe not as an emergency, but to run checks etc, but they keep being cancelled (as many do, for multiple illnesses each year) because someone else is taking up that bed space, Someone who MAYBE, with better care, could have avoided the need to even be there.

So yeah, i get what your saying, but the money we spend PROVING that the dietary changes MAKE a difference, TODAY not at the next HBA1c, give people like me,,and many others on here, Hope, faith and a willingness TO manage a disease that By many accounts IS Progressive, Debilitating and ONE of the major causes of deaths in the UK.

Put like that, to my eyes anyway, it seems like a No Brainer.
50% success rate at Dr Unwins surgery..and that's just ONE surgery out of how many.
imagine THAT translated across the UK.

Spend today, SAVE Tomorrow (in many ways, not least in peoples lives )

i have THAT for me.

I WANT that for many others, maybe YOU or other family members in years to come, God forbid.

as i said earlier, i have no issue with your needs and concerns for your child, most admirable,
but maybe THIS way IS the BEST way to help ALL of us.

Kind regards.

Last edited:

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
To get on thread. Both my local surgeries have a policy of not prescribing meters or test strips unless T1 or on insulin. I was told by one of my GP’s that they are too expensive.

I plan to work on this next, but slowly slowly catch a monkey. Maybe at the next PPG meeting.

So your template would be most welcome, @Debandez

Edit : “To those at risk of hypos”, were the exact words of one of them.

Last edited:

Redpanda

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Great idea @Debandez

i utterly fail to see how measuring the toxicity of the foods we ARE clearly allergic to,
can be anything BUT beneficial.

While it would be a cost.( .isn't it always. :rolleyes: ) if we weigh up the inital cost with the lifetime costs, it works out pretty cheap,
AND it's the RIGHT thing to do...what right does anyone have to just write us off, without even giving us a chance to prove or attempt a way of managing our T2D that is clearly showing great promise.
(source: Dr Unwins surgery, Most of the posters on here with T2D.)

Given the argument WILL be it's just TOO expensive..
(today, perhaps..., but who cares what it costs us tomorrow.. Cash and Health wise :banghead: )

Wouldn't a halfway house of allowing each NEW T2D, ONE set of low end glucose meter + 50 strips...(think codefree)

Then if those taking up the offer benefited, they now have an option of providing further strips for themselves AFTER seeing the efficacy of the Meters and all the impact certain foods have on them

for those who take but don't follow up or use well for whatever reason, that seems a small cost to pay, to give someone the CHANCE of a more successful (and by dint , less costly interventions) future as a Type 2.

Add in with the cost implication, pretty sure some accountant somewhere will be monitoring the success or not of the program and roll out..

IF we can mainly buck the trend of it being progressive, it follows many others once aware, COULD also follow in our footsteps..and surely THAT in itself could make it become the de facto tool for that all important first interventions ?

Thus freeing up those who agree but are currently oppressed in giving us freely information that contradicts the outmoded guidelines, dictated at present.

I like the high level 'celeb' type 2's being targeted..much easier if we have a successful role model fighting our case, i think.

Keep us posted @Debandez :)

Reactions: jjraak

ianf0ster

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
exercise, phone calls
I haven't seen anything regarding the 'template' that @Debandez was working on.
I understand that she is very busy and has also been ill. So perhaps work on it stalled.
Or did I miss it?

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I understand that she is very busy and has also been ill. So perhaps work on it stalled.
Or did I miss it?

PM is at your disposal Ian. That might be the way forward.

ianf0ster

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
exercise, phone calls
As you are aware, I'm not a people person, lack any tact or diplomacy and hate to be forced to resort to 1 to 1 interactions e.g. I much prefer email to telephone calls and prefer to address a gathering or 100 or so people than make small talk to just one person at a social event.

ianf0ster

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
exercise, phone calls
Assuming it hasn't all happened already, something in today's news may be of interest:

House of Commons Speaker Sir Lindsay Hoyle was diagnosed with diabetes just days before the General Election.
The 62-year-old has lost almost three stone in recent months and was urged to visit doctors by his wife Catherine and other family members.

Sir Lindsay said the symptoms were so severe that doctors wanted him to stay in hospital, but he refused to miss the election campaign. He is now receiving treatment for what is most likely to be Type 1 diabetes and awaits further tests.

TriciaWs

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
I’d like more support nutritionally, whilst not ‘poor’ £14.99 a month for a diet plan is a bit more than I’d like to commit to on a regular basis, so I think the NHS could provide say a years worth of diet plan to the newly diagnosed, as whilst I’ve been given charts etc. Translating into a meal plan can me daunting & I feel somewhat unsupported by my GP

I assume you mean the low carb programme? Much more than a diet plan, it consists of 16 weeks of videos, access to sumaries about research plus links, meal plans plus a searchable database of recipes and the discussion section where you can ask their experts and members questions. and more ...
In most NHS areas you can get the lowcarbprogram prescribed by your GP (a voucher/code), a few refuse to fund it.

NicoleC1971

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Assuming it hasn't all happened already, something in today's news may be of interest:

House of Commons Speaker Sir Lindsay Hoyle was diagnosed with diabetes just days before the General Election.
The 62-year-old has lost almost three stone in recent months and was urged to visit doctors by his wife Catherine and other family members.

Sir Lindsay said the symptoms were so severe that doctors wanted him to stay in hospital, but he refused to miss the election campaign. He is now receiving treatment for what is most likely to be Type 1 diabetes and awaits further tests.
Sir Lindsay said the symptoms were so severe that doctors wanted him to stay in hospital,
He had high ketones though not ketoacidosis so they would have been worried lest this became ketoacidosis. He looks a bit gaunt so hope he will be putting on a bit of weight and feeling better soon!

Debandez

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Or did I miss it?
Not at all. You haven't missed it. It's the time of year. I have a grandchild due any second. Family first. But lots of irons in the fire.
I have been poorly for 2 weeks. Today has been a turning point for me, first day I've felt almost normal. Was going to so a 14 day official guidelines trial in December. Due to virus blood sugars all over the place. January seems a better time. Got a diabetes UK complaint case to reply to. Sending lots of letters to gp surgeries highlighting lchf. And so much more. Got my business to run too so just soooo busy. But I'm here and working on an awful lot!

ianf0ster

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
exercise, phone calls
Thanks, I don't want to mis anything since I'm keen to help in any way that I can.

Lotties

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm still sort of surprised that I only found myself here after I'd already been through the mill and found the solution to reversing my diabetes. I did a whole bunch of research, read several books and a ton of literature, put it all into effect, and THEN found this place. Doh! :wacky:
Mę too; just arrived...
... but still finding Huge value here as a bit overwhelmed with info.

Lotties

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm researching this now. It may take time to get letter together as so busy for a week or so.

Got this reply from my surgery today. Sharing for info (and to give you a laugh). The first sentence made me choke on my cornflakes! Yes of course I'm joking......I wasnt choking ;-)

We have recently had correspondence regarding BM machines.

The following is the information the CCG meds management team have sent

“Self-monitoring of blood glucose (SMBG) is of limited clinical effectiveness in improving blood glucose control in patients with Type 2 Diabetes Mellitus (T2DM) on oral therapies or diet control and therefore is unlikely to be cost effective.

SMBG in T2DM is usually advised where a patient:
· is on insulin or
· there is evidence of hypoglycaemia or
· the person is on oral medication that may increase their risk of hypoglycaemia (while driving/operating machinery)
· or the person is pregnant, or is planning to become pregnant,
and the patient has an understanding of the benefits of monitoring and how to interpret the results i.e. reinforce lifestyle changes or adjust therapy accordingly.

Patients who gain no clinical benefit from SMBG should be discouraged from testing.

Prescribing of BGTS should be reviewed to ensure that testing is appropriate. IF test strips are indicated, quantities & frequency of issue should be reviewed to avoid wastage. Please see LMMG guidance for frequency of monitoring & appropriate quantities to supply

https://www.lancsmmg.nhs.uk/downloa...lucose-Testing-Guidance-V1.1-FOR-WEBSITE2.pdf

Please also find attached up to date data for the prescribing of test strips in patients with T2DM who do not appear to be prescribed insulin, a sulphonylurea or a glinide.

Kind regards

Medicines Optimisation Team”

Hope this is useful information.

Best wishes,
There is no benefit for one of the major participants in this discussion; drug companies. Their bottom line is to sell drugs; this inevitably skews their motivation in the opposite direction to the self-heal/medicate with food. Doctors are quite stuck in the middle.

Last edited:

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
I would love to but armed insurrection is not my style.

Indy51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
This might be a good thread to post this video from the LowCarbUSA conference in Boca Ratan. Antonio Martinez talking about advocacy by the LCAN (Low Carb Action Network) in the US:

ianf0ster

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
exercise, phone calls
@Indy51 Thanks for posting the video above. I found the Q&A in the second half of the video much more interesting than the actual talk. Tony seems like a sincere guy who wants to make a difference and his knowledge of Law and Politics could be very useful in implementing dietary Guideline and Medical school teaching change.