What was your fasting blood glucose? (full on chat)

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
View attachment 37359

fb_img_1577115182852-jpg.37359

Interesting that you said that. I've been thinking about that this year. This is the first year I haven't really felt I need to clean the apartment from wall to wall. This year I need the peace more than the merry-making.

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Do any of you have any tips about shoes for walking in wet weather? I've had wellies (waterproof but not warm), insulated lace-up boots (warm but not very comfortable), and good old-fashioned overshoes/gumshoes/rubbers/galoshes that don't seem available anymore (at least not here). So now I'm thinking duck shoes (warm but won't keep any snow out)

61dJCRUQC9L._AC_UY695_.jpg

or hiking boots (never owned any but they look sort of like my paddock boots)

9505A242-HERO

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Never mind that. Huge diplomatic incidents over whose Christmas pudding was served and life wouldn't have been worth living had we either made our own or bought one. Anyone else? No? Just us then. Would still have all that again in a heartbeat. I didn't like Christmas pudding either but mum's trifle was a thing of beauty and wonder.

Last edited:
Reactions: trick60

Winnie-the-Pooh

Do any of you have any tips about shoes for walking in wet weather? I've had wellies (waterproof but not warm), insulated lace-up boots (warm but not very comfortable), and good old-fashioned overshoes/gumshoes/rubbers/galoshes that don't seem available anymore (at least not here). So now I'm thinking duck shoes (warm but won't keep any snow out)

61dJCRUQC9L._AC_UY695_.jpg

or hiking boots (never owned any but they look sort of like my paddock boots)

9505A242-HERO

Oh I love shoes and boots! The two brand you mentioned are my favorites !

So I think duck boots are great. I just got a pair of original duck booties for my sister as a present

I myself got a pair of red coach rain boots from long ago ( Macys has discount off season otherwise they were too expensive) , they are so good and I intentionally walk in the mud to enjoy them

Also I got a timberland from Macy’s ( I’m in US) this season ( again with 50% discount ) and it’s so good and matches with all kinds of pants , tights, dresses , skirts.

Look into timberland , and try to find discounts and deals ! I really believe in timberland! They last forever . I love Dr Marten booties too , just thinking about it melts my heart

In U.K. , debenhams always had lots of booties and good deals ! I missed debenhams.

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Look into timberland , and try to find discounts and deals ! I really believe in timberland! They last forever
Not if your labrador eats the boat shoes. My wife and sons didn't have the heart to tell me for almost 10 years - convinced me I had wrongly thrown them out. Oh, welcome @Winnie-the-Pooh

Last edited:

Muddy Cyclist

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
So much choice @SaskiaKC I have Neoprene Lined Wellies with a walking sole essential if you don't want planter tendon damage, they are great in the snow and mud. My best boots are lightweight Gortex Lined walking boots with Vibram Sole, I treat them with waterproofing spray twice a year and my feet have never been wet or cold on Mountains in the snow.

So much choice @SaskiaKC I have Neoprene Lined Wellies with a walking sole essential if you don't want planter tendon damage, they are great in the snow and mud. My best boots are lightweight Gortex Lined walking boots with Vibram Sole, I treat them with waterproofing spray twice a year and my feet have never been wet or cold on Mountains in the snow.

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

Thanks. I'm glad to know that waterproofing spray really works. I saw one pair of great boots online that look very warm but are not waterproof -- but have leather uppers. I thought about buying them and spraying them but I have never tried waterproofing spray before.

@ianpspurs I'm sorry to hear about your boat shoes. I don't think the KittenCat would be a threat to Timberlands.

It's been funny but frustrating reading the reviews and Q&A about various boots online -- one reviewer will say one style is waterproof; the next reviewer will say the same style is not. Sigh.

Thanks, @Winnie-the-Pooh, I didn't realize duck boots are a brand. I just know them as a style made by several brands.
And because we are discussing waterproof boots, and in honor of your name, one of my favorite poems --

smilne-happiness.gif

Muddy Cyclist

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks. I'm glad to know that waterproofing spray really works
Never tried waterproofing non waterproof boots @SaskiaKC not sure that would work. I always buy Gore Tex Lined either Leather if a fashion boot here in the U.K. Clarks have been the most reliable or Canvas hiking boot which makes them lighter, either Scarpa or Merrell, Neither are cheap but they have never let me down.

@jjraak I know you are now probably in warmer holiday mode and @Debandez regarding my BG readings other than this mornings 6 and of course all the gaps in between testing, I have not gone above 5.5 today and right now am 4.8 so fingers crossed I did get away with yesterday's reckless lunch. :)

Last edited:
Reactions: HarryBeau and DJC3

Muddy Cyclist

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
It's been funny but frustrating reading the reviews and Q&A about various boots online -- one reviewer will say one style is waterproof; the next reviewer will say the same style is not. Sigh.
IMO reviews are like noses on faces, the majority of people have one and they are all different. Can be useful as an initial guide but I find asking the questions of the manufacturer serves more purpose, much more useful to have an email saying these boots are totally waterproof in all weather and terrain if you ever need to complain.

gennepher

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks. I'm glad to know that waterproofing spray really works. I saw one pair of great boots online that look very warm but are not waterproof -- but have leather uppers. I thought about buying them and spraying them but I have never tried waterproofing spray before.

And because we are discussing waterproof boots, and in honor of your name, one of my favorite poems --

smilne-happiness.gif

Hi @SaskiaKC
I use a waterproof spray as well.
For shoes and boots. Also for coats and jackets and hats.

I've also used the same waterproof spray on some very old parasols in my garden (over 20 years old, they were already here when I moved here) because in the summer I like to paint in the garden and it made them waterproof so I could continue to paint outside in light summer rain. It worked well.

So, I am guessing if you really fancied some boots that some reviewers said waterproof and other reviewers said the same were not, then there is a good chance the waterproof spray on them would also work well.

I also use waterproof spray on a couple of knitted jumpers that I just wear for outside the house (not jumpers that are frequently washed) for on days when I don't want a heavier jacket.

I have used waterproof spray since the 1970's. I saw it in a camping shop. It was called Ducksback then.

More recently (last 10 years) I got waterproof spray from Lidl. It was cheap, worked for me. But then I didn’t see it any more. So then I went to a horse supplies place (which provides everything, apart from the horse!), and they sell a big range of waterproof sprays apparently for different purposes, for different fabrics and materials. But they do cost more than the all purpose Lidl waterproof spray!!!!

Last edited:
Reactions: HarryBeau

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks, @gennepher. I was wondering what brand of waterproofing spray y'all used. There is a good brand here called Scotchgard. I haven't used their spray but I have used some of their other products. I've also just read that WD-40 spray works.

I just found Duck's Back! :)

dback.jpg

Reactions: trick60

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
IMO reviews are like noses on faces, the majority of people have one and they are all different. Can be useful as an initial guide but I find asking the questions of the manufacturer serves more purpose, much more useful to have an email saying these boots are totally waterproof in all weather and terrain if you ever need to complain.

s0210.gif
t4518.gif
t2043.gif

Thanks.

gennepher

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks, @gennepher. I was wondering what brand of waterproofing spray y'all used. There is a good brand here called Scotchgard. I haven't used their spray but I have used some of their other products. I've also just read that WD-40 spray works.

I just found Duck's Back! :)

dback.jpg
Hi @SaskiaKC
I have used Scotchgard many years ago with some suede boots, just because the shoe shop sold it me at the time!

WD-40?!?!
As a waterproof spray? That is a new one on me.

Ah Duck's Back. I like that name!

Good luck on whatever you choose!

h35013.gif

h35038.gif

h35005.gif

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Never tried waterproofing non waterproof boots @SaskiaKC not sure that would work. I always buy Gore Tex Lined either Leather if a fashion boot here in the U.K. Clarks have been the most reliable or Canvas hiking boot which makes them lighter, either Scarpa or Merrell, Neither are cheap but they have never let me down.

@jjraak I know you are now probably in warmer holiday mode and @Debandez regarding my BG readings other than this mornings 6 and of course all the gaps in between testing, I have not gone above 5.5 today and right now am 4.8 so fingers crossed I did get away with yesterday's reckless lunch. :)

Thanks for the tips about Clark's and Merrell. I have been looking at both of those. I hadn't heard of Scarpa before, but I'll look them up.

Congratulations on your numbers following your feast!