What have you eaten today? (Low carb forum)

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Started early today. All tomorrow’s veg preped and in bags in fridge and potatoes and parsnups in bucket of water in garage. Ham finished on stove and just need to stud with cloves and demerera and finish in the oven. Finished the trifle for tomo. Having a coffee now. We have guests at 3pm so will be doing plates of mini smoked salmon on mini bread squares, cubes of melon with Serrano ham, and heating up some prawns in filo and Indian veg selection and spiced biscuits. I tried snowflake cutter but was too fiddly so only did four, did four reindeer shapes that more resemble camels and the rest are robins which are easy. Tonight we are eating Teriyaki cod loin and spicy rice (not me) probs green rice. Have fun everyone, its such a relef when the shopping is done.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Am I a bit premature.. stuffed turkey legs and wings cooked overnight and turkey breasts in as we type..
fedd1f7d-0987-42ef-bd8c-819ce2df0377.jpg
2048c613-d634-4c2b-831a-ea3eccfebd67.jpg

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Now I have sous vide envy
Just buy one already, Not like anyone I know has a sous vide, air fryer, IP, range cooker and lots of other stuff BUT mostly eats salad.:banghead: Now I find I have taken a shine to sashimi as well. Maybe we won't bother with a new kitchen when we move - just buy a new set of knives and some chopping boards. Somehow we managed to buy and collect another car full (Range Rover with all seats down) of food and 5 more santa sacks of clothes for grandchildren this morning. Merry Christmas everyone.

Last edited:

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
Just buy one already, Not like anyone i know has a sous vide, air fryer, IP, range cooker and lots of other stuff BUT mostly eats salad.:banghead: Now I find I have taken a shine to sashimi as well. Maybe we won't bother with a new kitchen when we move - just buy a new set of knives and some chopping boards. Somehow we managed to buy and collect another car full (Range Rover with all seats down) of food and 5 more santa sacks of clothes for grandchildren this morning. Merry Christmas everyone.

Merry Christmas to you and all the other forumites!!

I had a lovely evening - rather too much molten cheese, mulled wine and fizz - i even had a naughty mince pie with cream.

Today is simple

B: Chaffle with fried egg
L: small chunks of various cheeses
D: Mr C is cooking some tapas

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
For anyone wondering how the outside world it, I braved it today.

I really went for a top up of cream (after all talk of clotted last night). Lidl was empty of people, but plenty of stock. I couldn't believe it. According to the chap on the till, Tesco and Sain's were similar. It sounds like everyone decreed yesterday the day to shop.

There was only one thing (and I mean one single thing) I didn't get this morning, and that was a token mince pie. I don't eat them, and MrB likes one, but no more, but Greggs had sold out. Oooops.

It's all good, he won't starve, this side of Christmas 2020.

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I’ve braved the outside too. Aldi was empty of people and cream, but luckily had 85% Moser Roth, nut bars and a new supply of white wine for my Dad.

Lunch was beef short rib cooked in the oven, with broccoli for Dad and naked for me. Yum. May have had clotted cream, almond butter and Waitrose 1 90% chocolate (yum) for dessert.

Dinner will be leftover lamb and gravy.

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Just buy one already, Not like anyone I know has a sous vide, air fryer, IP, range cooker and lots of other stuff BUT mostly eats salad.:banghead: Now I find I have taken a shine to sashimi as well. Maybe we won't bother with a new kitchen when we move - just buy a new set of knives and some chopping boards. Somehow we managed to buy and collect another car full (Range Rover with all seats down) of food and 5 more santa sacks of clothes for grandchildren this morning. Merry Christmas everyone.
Sounds like my abode although without dealing with No 2 who was REALLY winding big brother up who has now hit him on the head with a back scratcher! Result No 1 in a huff, No 2 with a bag of ice on his head.

Reactions: DJC3 and ianpspurs

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Sounds like my abode although without dealing with No 2 who was REALLY winding big brother up who has now hit him on the head with a back scratcher! Result No 1 in a huff, No 2 with a bag of ice on his head.
Merry Christmas - Oh attacked with a back scratcher. We never had that - more hammers and large iron bars. Most refined your granchildren.

Reactions: maglil55

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Merry Christmas - Oh attacked with a back scratcher. We never had that - more hammers and large iron bars. Most refined your granchildren.
I reckon he'd have gone for a hammer if one was handy. Peace has been restored. He's apologised and they've made up. Something to do with a threat of coal & sticks from Santa

Merry Christmas

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Beware the Mulled Wine.... just had a couple of (large) warming glasses of it with neighbours and my BG has shot up from 7.7 (2 hours after lunch test) to 17.9! Oops! I don't think I'll be eating dinner any time soon.

@maglil55 - i love the idea of no. 1 attacking no. 2 with a back scratcher. :hilarious:

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Bed 5.6 FBG 4.5. A variable day. Niece was supposed to be heading to her Mum's but Mum has gone down with severe lurgy so Christmas at hers is cancelled. Niece now away to sister's in Newcastle. She had a few coming so now they all face trying to get food on Christmas Eve. I was driving son, wife and boys to an annual Christmas Eve party when the ruckus with the back scratcher intervened. They did eventually get there, made up and now all back home and peace continues. I have one last trip to make tonight (the Santa Run) but have to wait for both boys to be out for the count. Meantime son's present from DIL is on it's way to me from Amazon so I have to wait for that to arrive. Thank goodness they're less than 1 mile away.
B. TAG with ADOC. 2 Dairylea triangles
L. Nothing
D. Ribs with a chilli rub and I am stealing 2 of Hubby's mini spring rolls.
If I get back at a reasonable hour I will have LC Baileys!

This is one of the sleighs I made earlier today. Boys have one each. Back to cooking now. Merry Christmas everyone
20191224_154456.jpeg

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Bed 5.6 FBG 4.5. A variable day. Niece was supposed to be heading to her Mum's but Mum has gone down with severe lurgy so Christmas at hers is cancelled. Niece now away to sister's in Newcastle. She had a few coming so now they all face trying to get food on Christmas Eve. I was driving son, wife and boys to an annual Christmas Eve party when the ruckus with the back scratcher intervened. They did eventually get there, made up and now all back home and peace continues. I have one last trip to make tonight (the Santa Run) but have to wait for both boys to be out for the count. Meantime son's present from DIL is on it's way to me from Amazon so I have to wait for that to arrive. Thank goodness they're less than 1 mile away.
B. TAG with ADOC. 2 Dairylea triangles
L. Nothing
D. Ribs with a chilli rub and I am stealing 2 of Hubby's mini spring rolls.
If I get back at a reasonable hour I will have LC Baileys!

This is one of the sleighs I made earlier today. Boys have one each. Back to cooking now. Merry Christmas everyone View attachment 37391

Love those sleighs!

Reactions: maglil55

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Interesting convo with MIL today over lunch:

Me: looking forward to tomorrow’s dinner at BIL’s?
Her: don’t know if it is on! BIL’s wife is sick! Don’t think she will be able to do the turkey, so they may cancel.
Me: oh but the kids and BIL will be there, won’t they?
(One finished uni, the other in second year of uni)
Her: well they can’t do it!
Me: why not? At that age they should be able to step in, shouldn’t they? In fact, at that age they should be doing most of the heavy lifting already. Besides, BIL is there too, isn’t he? And I’m sure you could supervise. Could be fun.
Her: *jaw on floor*. Oh no. I expect they will cancel.

Can you tell that I have no time for some of these sexist, selfish, domestic traditions? I mean, for goodness sake, why should one family member do all the shopping, prepping, cooking and serving, while everyone else just does a token bit of washing up afterwards, then waits for the next meal to magically appear?

I have no intention of making a rod for my own back by starting heavyweight family food traditions that someone (me!) then has to uphold for the next 50 years. Perish the thought!!!

why do people put up with it?

I found myself rather annoyed.

fortunately, we (Mr B and I) will be having a blessedly peaceful Xmas with the drawbridge only being lowered for dog walking forays.

Last edited:

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Food today:

b: nowt
L: cottage pie in garden centre with MIL. Mouthful of peas. Same of carrots. (Guts will pay for those tomorrow!) Hardly any mash, and what there was, was so dry and hard I think its carbs had transmogrified into baked cardboard.
D: will be salmon pate (with a spoon) and mince pie Wensleydale.

Have you tried it yet @Chook? What’s the verdict?

Last edited:

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Food today:

b: nowt
L: cottage pie in garden centre with MIL. Mouthful of peas. Same of carrots. (Guts will pay for those tomorrow!) Hardly any mash, and what there was, was so dry and hard I think its carbs had transmogrified into baked cardboard.
D: will be salmon pate (with a spoon) and mince pie Wensleydale.

Have you tried it yet @Chook? What’s the verdict?

Not yet - I'm looking forward to it on Boxing Day. x

I agree with you that every one who eats should do their fair share to make Christmas wonderful. Lucky for me that Mr C was well trained by his mother.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Breakfast: my usual low carb coconut ‘porridge’ with strawberries and cream washed down with a black coffee.
Late Lunch after a swim: Greek yoghurt, coffee chia pudding and LC chocolate granola
Late afternoon: coffee with cream at the pub with a gingerbread Carb Killa bar.
Dinner: chicken chasseur with mixed veggies followed by SF jelly, cream and LC chocolate granola.

I made a low carb Xmas pudding for myself for tomorrow. Well and a few other meals, it makes six potions 8g carbs per portion. The kitchen smelt divine!

7C5235FB-FF43-4FA4-BE2A-4C0A53E72137.jpeg

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I love the look of those sleighs @maglil55 I think I’ll copy your idea next Christmas. Your Christmas pud looks excellent too @Rachox.
Day started a little disappointingly when I looked at the cream in the IP. @DCUKMod it hadn’t clotted. Boo! After leaving all day in the fridge I have a fairly think layer on top but certainly not a crust.
Everything else was tickety boo though.
B: 1 slice ham 1 slice Emmental 1 fried egg
L: Olives and cheddar then a few lc crackers and peanut butter. I think the champagne was opened about then.
D: the most fabulous rib of beef, even daughter’s dodgy oven couldn’t mess up. We always have roast beef baps with gravy to dip them into on Christmas Eve ( sounds odd but it’s delicious ) I had a couple of slices of the ( rather chewy by now) Skinny bread instead of a bap. And meat juices to dip. Glass of red. Heavenly.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I love the look of those sleighs @maglil55 I think I’ll copy your idea next Christmas. Your Christmas pud looks excellent too @Rachox.
Day started a little disappointingly when I looked at the cream in the IP. @DCUKMod it hadn’t clotted. Boo! After leaving all day in the fridge I have a fairly think layer on top but certainly not a crust.
Everything else was tickety boo though.
B: 1 slice ham 1 slice Emmental 1 fried egg
L: Olives and cheddar then a few lc crackers and peanut butter. I think the champagne was opened about then.
D: the most fabulous rib of beef, even daughter’s dodgy oven couldn’t mess up. We always have roast beef baps with gravy to dip them into on Christmas Eve ( sounds odd but it’s delicious ) I had a couple of slices of the ( rather chewy by now) Skinny bread instead of a bap. And meat juices to dip. Glass of red. Heavenly.

:( What a shame!

Reactions: DJC3