What have you eaten today? (Low carb forum)

SlimLizzy

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
football, both the game and the culture.
Somehow missed the bacon wrapped halloumi reminder, although did get halloumi in for fries, and then forgot and had roast potato.still I now have unopened packet to take to France. Where I have so far failed to find any halloumi.

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
This just popped up on Facebook. Seems apt for today.

6DED148E-4D80-4AD5-B077-5DF07C88FF3F.jpeg

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Merry Christmas belatedly from me , I hope everyone has had the best possible day. Mine certainly seems that way.
B: Scrambled eggs and smoked salmon
L: Turkey, sprouts with bacon, cauli cheese, carni stuffing ( thanks to @Goonergal for recipe)
Lateish 1 slice cold turkey topped with stuffing topped with a crispy bacon rasher which was cooked over the turkey. Everyone else had turkey sandwiches but I was more than happy with mine. 1 DGF double choc brownie with a cup of tea.
A fair amount of Champagne drunk throughout the day.
1 tiny taster of the HC choc cream liqueur I was bought as a Christmas present. Delicious - thanks @shelley262 for the recommendation.

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Bed 4.8 FBG 5.2. @Brunneria - I laughed at your post as I read it as "SIL arose from her deathbed to cook MIL and BIL". It created quite a picture! Merry Christmas everyone and welcome back @ziggy_w. I have my feet up at the moment. Been on my legs too long today and my left leg is in a bad way. It will be fine in a couple of days. @Annb - I'm in total agreement with you. My Hubby had everything done for him and it took me years to "train" him. With our son I started early as I wanted to ensure I unleashed a well grounded child on the world. He's a very good cook, he can use a washing machine and he irons! Housework could be better but DIL was very impressed with him. A successful day. No 1 in particular was very impressed with his sleigh (No 2 wanted to eat his). Despite the amount of food my BGs have remained stable.
B. TAG with ADOC and another two Dairylea triangles.
L. Nothing too busy all morning and early afternoon cooking.
D. Lots of prosecco. Cold starter of that wreath salad with Italian meats, mozzarella and pesto, olives and the meatballs that looked like Christmas puddings (they went down a storm - none left). Small bowl of lentil soup. Turkey, stuffing, chipolatas, roast celeriac, parsnip and carrot, stir fried sprouts, gravy and cranberry sauce. Dessert LC creme brulee and a spoonful of a deconstructed black forest cake. I passed on the cheese. Drunk a lot of water. I do confess to munching another 5 chipolatas while clearing up with Hubby.
No 1 brought one of his new Lego sets and was building that after dinner. No 2 was on a bit of a sugar high! He eventually settled and watched the rest of Polar Express.
Tomorrow will be a quiet day with leftovers. Hope everyone had a wonderful time.
Edit - meant to add, DIL took great delight in telling everyone that apart from the roast potatoes I'd served to the rest of them, the entire meal was low carb. They admitted they wouldn't have known. Success!

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Morning All.

yesterday’s steak was superb.
Words can’t actually express...

mr B bought it from butcher and apparently said ‘I’ll have the two biggest’.
He has no idea what cut, but they looked rumpish to me.

when laid out they were each about 1.5 inches thick. 11 inches across.

In the end, I only cooked one, which filled my cast iron frying pan an then fed both of us. A little Stilton and fried onion :couchpotato: and the salad would have just been empty calories, so it stayed in the fridge :hilarious:

superb meal. Thanks to the quality of the meat.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
So there’s one up for grabs then? :D

Yeah :D:D:D
But I put it in the freezer.

magnificence like that deserves a suitably hallowed occasion, however tempting it would be to eat like that every day.

plus, we were given a Miller & Carter voucher for Xmas. So that will probably be the next Steak Event.
V curious to see if they produce anything close to the awesomeness of our local butcher 300 yards from our front door.

annabell1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
rude people
not able to do as much as I used to do due to health issues
onions
leek
So been busy preparing foods Christmas eve and traveling to my mums on Christmas day was a nice gathering. My beautiful sister was missed but it was good for all of us to be together. I'm currently staying at mums for a few days going home tomorrow. So its been hard to stick to my WOE so been eating as best I can but when they provide only sweets for lunch and your on prednisone will so no more. When I go back home will hopefully reset again.

Breakfast yesterday was left over scrambled eggs black coffee
Christmas lunch was pork ham Turkey lots of different salads hummus and yummy desserts.

Breakfast today was white bread with ham and cheese
Sweets for lunch and black coffee
Dinner left overs from Christmas lunch.

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello all,

Have been trying to catch up for the last two days, but only managed about a week's worth of posts so far.

Just wanted to take the opportunity to wish everyone a very merry Xmas.

Hope you all were able to spend these special days with loved ones.
Wonderful to hear from you. Merry (gone) Christmas and Happy New Year. Hope you find some down time and relax with Mr? Z W.

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi All on the feast of St Stephen. Well I let myself go a bit yesterday, nothing sweet but a lot of smolked salmon of small squares of seeded bread, mini tacos filled with Selsey crab with lime mayo. I made the mini tacos but cutting small rounds from tortilla wraps the placed between the spaces on upside down muffin pans and in oven for 5 mins. Went down a storm though carby for me, still had a couple. At 5pm we had dinner and I did have 2 small roasties and bread sage & onion stuffing but it was all lovely. Fbg today high but am getting it down slowly. Tonight will be leftover turkey veg for me. The boys are planning hefty turkey & stuffing sandwiches and chips. So easy day all round.
Made a big fry up brunch for everyone at 1100 before my friend got on the road for home. I sat with them just having a cup of tea but that was not a problem for me.

Have a happy day everyone.

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
I really must have eaten too much yesterday. I didn't check my BG last night, waited up after all to see a repeat of "Death in Paradise" and then just headed straight for bed. This morning FBG was 10.6!

Had some bubble and squeak with a fried egg for brunch and lots of tea. My cleaning lady came this morning to clean my floors (tried out my new floor steamer - my Christmas present to me, and to her; it worked fine). Gave her the box of chocs I had bought for her before Christmas and which had been calling to me from the sideboard. She had had a tummy bug which has been going around here and didn't come before Christmas. Glad she came 1. for the sake of my floors and 2. for stopping the temptation from the sideboard.

Loads of cold meats available but I may not have anything else today, except tea or coffee.

I have people coming around for lunch on Wednesday (Ne'er day) so to avoid putting myself under stress, I may just start today. It will only be some soup (to keep in the freezer) with filled rolls and a cake - unusually for me, not an iced one but a sultana one, and some shortbread. I enjoy feeding people and they actually expect something sweet, so I have to keep making cakes, even though I can't eat them myself.

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi all. Your Christmas meals sound wonderful. Ours was a triumph, especially the rib of beef. Despite that, I have become utterly disillusioned and demotivated by the LC woe and the impact on/results for me. Best I leave this thread for now and just lurk until I can become positive.. Happy New Year - hopefully back soon as a more positive little boy.

Last edited:

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi all. Your Christmas meals sound wonderful. Ours was a triumph, especially the rib of beef. Despite that, I have become utterly disillusioned and demotivated by the LC woe and the impact on/results for me. Best I leave this thread for now and just lurk until I can become positive.. Happy New Year - hopefully back soon as a more positive little boy.

Oh Ian. Such a shame that you are feeling disillusioned about the LC way of eating. I do hope you are feeling better about it in the new year and ready to try again. Or if not, then I hope there is a better/more acceptable way for you to eat. For me - even though results are not as I might have hoped, I actually do feel a lot better than I did before going LC so I will keep going. Have a good time, if you celebrate the new year, and I hope for better times for you in 2020.

Reactions: maglil55

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
They do look appetising and easy to make. Must try this next time I can get hold of some soft fruit.

Bearing in mind the whole fruits are only used for decoration, the rest being blended within a millimetre of its existence, it's likely be fine with frozen fruit.

Reactions: maglil55

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Ian, for me, living with a long term condition (and whatever state it's in, we all are), the balance is the important thing.

If LC eating isn't floating your boat, and not bringing you the results - especially whilst you have other things on your agenda, then maybe it's time to explore what alternative ways of management do for you.

If it comes to taking meds, whether for the shorter, or longer term, if your quality of life is better, that's a totally valid option.

Personally, I'm anti-meds whenever possible, but when I started on meds for my thyroid, and begun feeling benefit, trust me, I got over all that ego (referring only to myself here) nonsense. I still have a hate/hate relationship with the weekly pill pot thingy, but every now and then I just give it a decent glaring.

Life's here for living, not tolerating.

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi Ian please do come back soon. I am sorry you are dissillusioned and demotivated but I know you find it tough. I think the only reason I get a decent A1c (so far) is because I stick with the Codefree meter which everyone says read high which might give me a margin of error. I do understand its hard when you have a day of eating like yesterday to go back to mere rations. We are not saints, speak for yourself you might say, and this is always challenging. I wish you and Julie and your family everything that is good for the new year and tons of happiness in your new home.