Vegan sausage roll

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
As a follow up to @Juicyj ’s post above, this thread has been moderated removing a substantial number of posts which were deemed inappropriate on a thread discussing vegan food options. Discussion of offal and other meat products in this context is not appropriate.

In addition a number of posts have been deleted for bickering and therefore derailing the thread.

It is perfectly acceptable for those who have a way of eating different from the one being discussed in any thread or sub-forum, to contribute to discussions, but this must be done in a way which is respectful of the way of eating of the OP or the relevant sub-forum.

It is unfortunate that this thread has now been seriously derailed and had to be taken out of view for a long period while moderation could take place in a fashion that ensured the thread remains meaningful. Individual notifications have been sent.

Any further posts that break forum rules will be deleted and may lead to further sanctions.

Reactions: Chook

Little Bird

As a follow up to @Juicyj ’s post above, this thread has been moderated removing a substantial number of posts which were deemed inappropriate on a thread discussing vegan food options. Discussion of offal and other meat products in this context is not appropriate.

In addition a number of posts have been deleted for bickering and therefore derailing the thread.

It is perfectly acceptable for those who have a way of eating different from the one being discussed in any thread or sub-forum, to contribute to discussions, but this must be done in a way which is respectful of the way of eating of the OP or the relevant sub-forum.

It is unfortunate that this thread has now been seriously derailed and had to be taken out of view for a long period while moderation could take place in a fashion that ensured the thread remains meaningful. Individual notifications have been sent.

Any further posts that break forum rules will be deleted and may lead to further sanctions.

Hi @Goonergal

I have no wish to derail this thread again but as one of the deleted posts was mine I feel I should make some reply, if you would indulge me briefly.

In short, I was irritated by what I thought were some rather rude, disrespectful and inappropriate comments on a veggie/vegan forum and in response I sent a snarky reply to @bulkbiker .

To be clear, my irritation had nothing whatsoever to do with peoples dietary choices, I respect everyone's right to choose their own diet, even if they chose to eat a diet of dog food! (Though I would probably refuse a dinner invitation.) I would have been just as irritated if a veggie/vegan, or anyone else for that matter, went onto the meat eater/carnivore forums and made rude and disrespectful comments to the people there, because my issue was with rude behaviour not diet. I personally think that to disrespect and mock another persons diet is no better than to disrespect and mock their culture, religion, sexuality or choice of car etc. etc., and I will confess those things irritate me. I think that when we disrespect a persons choices we disrespect the person because our choices make us what we are. Though that too is open to debate I suppose.

Anyway, the irony is of course, that whatever my reasons for doing it I too behaved in a rude and disrespectful manner towards bulkbiker with the remarks that I posted and I agree that was indeed inappropriate behaviour for the forum. So I think it only right that I should apologise to the forum at large for using it inappropriately.

Also, if you are reading this bulkbiker, I would like to make a personal apology to you as my comment was directed at you. I hope there are no hard feelings on your side, there really are none on mine. And of course I owe you @LooperCat an apology too as it is your thread I helped to derail. It is meant to be about the vegan sausage roll!

Speaking of which, I have tried both the vegan sausage roll and the new vegan pasty and I like them both but would only eat them occasionally. They are great if you are hungry on the go and stuck for another choice but I personally find them a bit greasy to eat frequently, as with any pasty or sausage roll. I’m just not a great lover of pastry.

What I do really like about all the new vegan items around these days is the extra choice and flexibility it gives to vegans. With more and more food outlets offering vegan options they are becoming more inclusive and I always think that is a good thing!

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi @Goonergal

I have no wish to derail this thread again but as one of the deleted posts was mine I feel I should make some reply, if you would indulge me briefly.

In short, I was irritated by what I thought were some rather rude, disrespectful and inappropriate comments on a veggie/vegan forum and in response I sent a snarky reply to @bulkbiker .

To be clear, my irritation had nothing whatsoever to do with peoples dietary choices, I respect everyone's right to choose their own diet, even if they chose to eat a diet of dog food! (Though I would probably refuse a dinner invitation.) I would have been just as irritated if a veggie/vegan, or anyone else for that matter, went onto the meat eater/carnivore forums and made rude and disrespectful comments to the people there, because my issue was with rude behaviour not diet. I personally think that to disrespect and mock another persons diet is no better than to disrespect and mock their culture, religion, sexuality or choice of car etc. etc., and I will confess those things irritate me. I think that when we disrespect a persons choices we disrespect the person because our choices make us what we are. Though that too is open to debate I suppose.

Anyway, the irony is of course, that whatever my reasons for doing it I too behaved in a rude and disrespectful manner towards bulkbiker with the remarks that I posted and I agree that was indeed inappropriate behaviour for the forum. So I think it only right that I should apologise to the forum at large for using it inappropriately.

Also, if you are reading this bulkbiker, I would like to make a personal apology to you as my comment was directed at you. I hope there are no hard feelings on your side, there really are none on mine. And of course I owe you @LooperCat an apology too as it is your thread I helped to derail. It is meant to be about the vegan sausage roll!

Speaking of which, I have tried both the vegan sausage roll and the new vegan pasty and I like them both but would only eat them occasionally. They are great if you are hungry on the go and stuck for another choice but I personally find them a bit greasy to eat frequently, as with any pasty or sausage roll. I’m just not a great lover of pastry.

What I do really like about all the new vegan items around these days is the extra choice and flexibility it gives to vegans. With more and more food outlets offering vegan options they are becoming more inclusive and I always think that is a good thing!
No worries x

Pinkorchid

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I think it is really good that more and more vegan and vegetarian foods are coming into the shops now it must make life easier for them. I am not vegan or vegetarian just a low meat eater but I happily include the plant based foods into my diet and those I have had have been really nice and I certainly will try a Greggs vegan sausage roll .

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I think it is really good that more and more vegan and vegetarian foods are coming into the shops now it must make life easier for them. I am not vegan or vegetarian just a low meat eater but I happily include the plant based foods into my diet and those I have had have been really nice and I certainly will try a Greggs vegan sausage roll .
I agree with most of your post.

The problem I have with it is that whether vegan or made from meat a sausage roll is still processed food. Added to this it has the combination of roughly half fat and half carbs which helped many T2s to their diagnosis, so isn't any healthier.

I would try vegan 'beef' products if there wasn't anything else I liked available.

Reactions: jjraak

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
I wouldn't choose to eat them every but but they are nice occasionally - better hot or warm, not so great cold.

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I agree generally, but won't be trying one as it has too much carbs for me.

Reactions: jjraak

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
From the Metro
---->
We went to the source (Greggs), who confirmed that yes, the sausage is vegan, and no, it is not just a large carrot. Instead, the vegan sausage inside a delightful vegan pastry case is made of the same stuff as Quorn sausages. That’s because Greggs actually teamed up with Quorn to make a unique vegan filling, using Quorn’s mycoprotein.

Mycoprotein is made using a type of mould called Fusarium venenatum strain PTA-2684. Quorn takes this and adds oxygen, nitrogen, glucose, and minerals, then lets it ferment and dry. That might not sound particularly appetising, but it’s free of any animal cruelty and creates that yummy meaty texture.
<-----

https://www.mycoprotein.org/how-is-mycoprotein-made
Ironically that sounds like a lot of cheeses I could name.

I will definitely give the sausage roll a try soon and also the new KFC veggie burger.

Last edited:

Pinkorchid

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
[
I agree generally, but won't be trying one as it has too much carbs for me.
It would only be very occasional for me to have one. I don't count carbs my diet is more moderate carbs.. I had never been a big starchy carb eater even before diabetes not much bread and never pasta or rice and I did not have a sweet tooth. I suppose most of my carbs came from vegetables which I love and still do so now I just have smaller portions

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
My daughter bought some of these for the Xmas Eve snax. We tried them, and most of the bag is still in the fridge. As it is carbohydrate based, it is gradually fermenting and giving off CO2, so not sure if it helped the planet much. One day she will dispose of them, but I am not allowed to throw anything of hers away. Had they been standard rolls, then I suspect they would not have survived Xmas where we were feeding the 5,000 it seemed.

therower

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Refrigerators = not good for the environment.
Storing unwanted, fermenting, CO2 food in refrigerator = 2x not good for environment?

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Refrigerators = not good for the environment.
Storing unwanted, fermenting, CO2 food in refrigerator = 2x not good for environment?

Can be a little risky on a personal level too.. (With any food stuffs. & cross contamination.?)
Especially regarding cut, bagged leaf veg.
Don't buy it if suspect & keep an eye out for bloated bags & green juice in the corners. (Tis recomended.)
Some can actually "turn" before the use by date with dodgy bacteria?

"One rotten apple." & all that!

I used to work in food retail & "wasted" a lot of the bagged stuff myself..

A few figures from the NHS.
https://www.nhs.uk/news/food-and-diet/food-poisoning-warning-over-fruit-and-veg/

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I do hope that as time goes on that it will be possible to find really good salads when eating out.
People selling food - or what passes for it seem to think that salad doesn't need to be fresh, crispy and not taste of the other foods which have been kept next to it long enough to transfer the flavours. Dousing a cup full of chopped mush in a garlic dressing is not my idea of making a salad.
I think myself, and anyone who is vegan or vegetarian are very much restricted in our choices of eating out by this concept of 'lets make this stuff acceptable to more people' rather than lets offer some really fresh salad - other veges would be nice - so that people are queuing up to get in to eat it.

Marie 2

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Pump
@Oldvatr

"One day she will dispose of them, but I am not allowed to throw anything of hers away."
Your daughter sounds like a wise person.

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@Oldvatr

"One day she will dispose of them, but I am not allowed to throw anything of hers away."
Your daughter sounds like a wise person.
Sad to rreport that they with one accord decided to commit hari kari and jumped together into the round receptacle outside the house. Sadly it was dustbin day, and now they are no more festering in my house. If they go to landfill then they will reincarnate as methane otherwise it will be humble CO2 RIP RIP Hooray!