What have you eaten today? (Low carb forum)

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Evenin’ All,

the usual :hilarious:

B: bone broth and small lc hot choc with salted butter. Yup, it is almost official - I like it more than cream.
L: forgot
D: one of the big steaks, airfried

@Winnie-the-Pooh
Like @Chook if I were to eat 100g carbs a day, my insulin resistance and my blood glucose would rise... and rise... and I would soon start to feel very ill.
And if I ate vegetables my guts would be protesting by the second meal. I can tolerate a little veg (think garnish) occasionally, which is far more than I could 2 years ago. However, the reason I can tolerate even that much veg nowadays is precisely because I have been carnivore for 2 years now, allowing my digestive tract and gut permeability to recover. There was a long time when any veg at all had me ill for days.

There simply is no one way of eating that works for everyone.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Breakfast: my usual low carb coconut ‘porridge’ with strawberries and cream washed down with a black coffee.
Late Lunch: Greek yoghurt, coconut chia pudding and macadamia and coconut keto granola with a takeaway coconut cappuccino.
Mid afternoon: black coffee.
Dinner: cheddar, mozzarella and piccolo tomato omelette with leafy salad followed by SF jelly, cream and LC chocolate granola.

SlimLizzy

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
football, both the game and the culture.
23-01-2020
As expected FBG was high so lemon tea only.
More lemon tea.
Brunch. Bacon, sausage, boudin noir (French version of black pudding, 3g carbs per 100g )fried eggs and mushrooms. CWC
Dinner . Yesterday's left overs recreated as soupe de Poisson. And a slice of the french cheesecake with a few raspberries. (Cheescake is 20g per portion) CWC. Wine. Ofc.
Bedtime lemon tea.
@DJC3 Not a special occasion, but we do have one of our sons visiting, so pushing the boat out a bit.
@Brunneria @maglil55 @PenguinMum thanks for the positive comments.
Lot of heavy work outside. MrSlim on the chainsaw, son and I trying to keep up with splitting and stacking the logs created.

SlimLizzy

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Raspberries:
Anyone has experience with BG increase after eating raspberries ?

I love raspberries and their sight and taste and smell makes me so happy !

Sometimes I just fill a bowl with raspberries and just look at them gorgeously siting there in the bowl . So eventually I want to eat them ( I cannot look them endlessly). At that point, I only eat maybe 10 -12 but not too many . They increase my BG at most 35 which is 2 in U.K. metrics . But I try to eat them when BG is low and won’t have any other carbs or sweets with them.

What will happen if I eat a full bowl of raspberries ( like I am tempted to)? If I eat a slice of a raspberry tart, once in a while , would that be a disaster?

Do you do these things ? Little enjoyments in life that diabetes has robbed us from ...

Is there any medicine , one can take and then eat a slice of raspberry tart ? Make it a big slice , please
Raspberries with cream is possibly a better option than raspberry tart.

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
23-01-2020
As expected FBG was high so lemon tea only.
More lemon tea.
Brunch. Bacon, sausage, boudin noir (French version of black pudding, 3g carbs per 100g )fried eggs and mushrooms. CWC
Dinner . Yesterday's left overs recreated as soupe de Poisson. And a slice of the french cheesecake with a few raspberries. (Cheescake is 20g per portion) CWC. Wine. Ofc.
Bedtime lemon tea.
@DJC3 Not a special occasion, but we do have one of our sons visiting, so pushing the boat out a bit.
@Brunneria @maglil55 @PenguinMum thanks for the positive comments.
Lot of heavy work outside. MrSlim on the chainsaw, son and I trying to keep up with splitting and stacking the logs created.

It did look good, and the log splitting and stacking will be great for your BG.

SlimLizzy

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
24-01-2020
Breakfast 2x CWC, nut granola, 2eggs and cheese omelette.
Lunch, can't remember. Don't think there was any. MrSlim and son had tea and cake mid afternoon. I just had tea.
Dinner. Cassolet, small portion of beans for me, no potatoes, few carrots, green beans and brocolli. One more slice of the french cheesecake with 10 raspberries and a splash of cream. 2 glasses of wine.
Piece of cheese, later. Someone left it lying about.
Bedtime. Lemon tea.

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Bed 4.8 FBG 4.4. @shelley262 - great A1c. Something to celebrate. @Brunneria & @Chook - when I was first diagnosed they told me 120 - 150g carbs. Didn't take me long to work out it wasn't working. Came down to about 50g but really don't think about it now as I know VLC works for me. @DJC3 - I've made that stuffed cheesy chicken breast a few times but it was knocked out of sync last week due to a leftovers day. I'm going to include it next week in my "extra" pre deep dive.
B. Just TAG again.
L. Usual early pick up from school. Boys had a quick lunch before swimming. I was back on the Italian plate but I added some roasted peppers.
D. Did not turn out as intended. Was making dinner and took some really bad abdominal pains. Hubby had to take over while I laid down with a heat pad. It eventually subsided so had the remains of the lentil soup I'd defrosted for No 2 at lunchtime (small cup) and later 2 of the air fried chicken thighs. Much later 6 king cherries. Abdomen still a bit tender but thankfully the pain has gone.
Get back to it tomorrow. It was weird as I'd be fine all day.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I had a handful of cashew nuts yesterday evening - I got very hungry and they were there (I'd bought them for Em - she loves them, but they were TESCO's own - not as good as KP). That shoved my BG up to 12.7 before bed.

FBG today was 8.8. Today, so far, only 3 chicken wings - there were 4 but I was feeling very full and a bit nauseous after 3. I've taken most of my pills today, other than the diuretics since I have to go out this evening and also taken some Co-codamol - all with mugs of tea. So I'm well up on the fluids so far and my insides are beginning to feel calmer after the half dose of Co-codamol.

I'll probably have something eggy before I go out, to keep me going into the evening.

The lower doses of insulin were not sufficient to control BG yesterday, so I'm edging it back up again today. At least I didn't have breakfast, so that was one dose less than yesterday. Haven't weighed myself this week yet, but everything is getting tighter so I think the weight is going back on again. I may give up the carnivore idea - not that it isn't working at least as well as simply low carb, but I really don't like not having some veg and buying lots of meat is more expensive than having veg as well - my food bill has gone up by about £7-10 a week in the last 2 weeks. That's just for me and really isn't on. Plus, I should probably take some kind of vitamin supplement if there are no veg at all - they usually make me feel pretty bad and they're not cheap either.

Why can't I be just normal? Or why did I have to go and find out about the diabetes in the first place. I'd have been less troubled by diet (probably not longer troubled by anything by now though).

Ann, could the clothing being a little tighter be due to your varying your diuretics? Don't take diuretics, but I know when have a bit of fluid retention, like with jetlag, my waistband gets tighter, along with my shoes.

Just a thought.

Winnie-the-Pooh

Just to say, if I were to eat 100g of carbs a day I would very soon be injecting insulin again or becoming very ill. We are all different in the amount of carbs we can tolerate and we each need to find our own level.

Yes that is what I was suggesting : consult with your doctor to come up with a personal plan . I used my diet as an example not a rule .

I’m not suggesting u or anyone should take a 100 gr carbs but 100 carbs include carbs in fruits , vegetables, nuts etc and not just bread and potato .

So an apple has 25 carbs and a slice of multi grain bread has almost 20 carbs , and one ‘table spoon’ of beans has 8 gr carbs, one bar of granola has 18 gr carbs . Also one spoon of ketchup is 4.5 gr carbs, and 5 spoons of low fat greek yogurt is 10 gr carbs.

I have a strong suspicion if u count ur carbs , u might be surprised that you already around that limit . I did that on some random diets in this forum here and there and it’s often more than that which is ok .

It is only 30 carbs per meal( 30*3 = 90 gr in total ).

You can count it for yourself ( enter it in google calculator). I did it for a while till I found a way to eat only 25-30 gr per meal to leave some room for a light mid day snack and still be bellow my max allowance of 100 gr .

Reactions: Annb and ianpspurs

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
Yes that is what I was suggesting : consult with your doctor to come up with a personal plan . I used my diet as an example not a rule .

I’m not suggesting u or anyone should take a 100 gr carbs but 100 carbs include carbs in fruits , vegetables, nuts etc and not just bread and potato .

So an apple has 25 carbs and a slice of multi grain bread has almost 20 carbs , and one ‘table spoon’ of beans has 8 gr carbs, one bar of granola has 18 gr carbs . Also one spoon of ketchup is 4.5 gr carbs, and 5 spoons of low fat greek yogurt is 10 gr carbs.

I have a strong suspicion if u count ur carbs , u might be surprised that you already around that limit . I did that on some random diets in this forum here and there and it’s often more than that which is ok .

It is only 30 carbs per meal( 30*3 = 90 gr in total ).

You can count it for yourself ( enter it in google calculator). I did it for a while till I found a way to eat only 25-30 gr per meal to leave some room for a light mid day snack and still be bellow my max allowance of 100 gr .

I think you'll find the bread eaten by some people on this thread is low carb bread and anyone eating apples probably has a quarter or a half at a time on an otherwise very low carb day.

I've been counting carbs for several years. There are no surprises in my diet. I have to be very careful and even when I've been through phases of denial, chosing to eat extra or experimentation i have still known how many carbs I'm eating. Most of us on this thread have counted carbs in a very detailed way for some time until we are absolutely sure we know what we are doing and what level of carbs we can tolerate.

I can't eat 30g of carbs a day on a regular basis without raising my BGs to an unacceptable level, let alone for each meal.

We are all different and what suits you almost certainly won't suit someone else.

Reactions: DJC3 and maglil55

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
Busy day today...

Last night's bed test: 5.7
This morning FBG: 5.9

Breakfast: 50g strawberries, Alpro soya coconut yoghurt topped with a 10g crushed nuts and seeds

Lunch: Green gloop

Dinner: Linda McCartney roast thing, cavalo nero, cauliflower and a couple of pieces of carrots

Drinks: black decaff coffee and lots of water

Quinn1066

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Just a quick message I am going to be away for the next few weeks. I have pnemonia on right lung and an impacted bowel. Plus a pulled chest muscle shoulder. No wonder my blood sugars have been off, just need to recover and focus on myself.

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Just a quick message I am going to be away for the next few weeks. I have pnemonia on right lung and an impacted bowel. Plus a pulled chest muscle shoulder. No wonder my blood sugars have been off, just need to recover and focus on myself.
Obviously a very gentle hug. Please take care and ensure you fully recover as that combination sounds very unpleasant. Best wishes and prayers for you.

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Take care and recover soon xx

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Take care @Quinn1066 and come back safely to us when you feel ready.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Oh Quinn, you have my sympathy. You must be feeling so ill.
Look after yourself, take it very easy, and please pop in and catch up and let us know how you are doing?

It has been lovely having you on the thread, showing what a breadth and variety of different food choices are possible under the LC banner.

Sending you all the very best, and hoping for a quick recovery.

Reactions: maglil55 and DJC3

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
12.25 now - 3 mugs of tea into the day. Bowel very over-active today - been getting there for the last 3 days after constipation for 3 days before it. I have to go out today so I just gave in and took Loperamide to try and calm it down.

I took something I'd labelled as butternut squash dhal out of the freezer last night along with some beef ragout. It turns out that the dhal is probably just b'nut squash stew with some lentils in it. I'll have it shortly and keep the ragout for later.

FBG ths morning was 9.4 - probably higher now since I've had nothing to eat or, therefore, insulin. The days when I have to go out are days when I can't take diuretics - Wednesday was the dentist so I had to take them late, Thursday I had to take them late again - after getting home from the Health Centre. Yesterday, couldn't take them because I was out in the evening. Today I'll be out in the afternoon and can't take them either - this is the normal for Friday and Saturday these days. I've been doing this for some time now so I don't think that is the issue with the tightening waistband. No point weighing myself today with the overactive bowel situation. Actually, there are days when I take the pills but they seem to have no effect and other days when you would think I had taken them, but haven't. Then there are the days when they have a huge effect. As usual - nothing is straightforward. I used to take higher doses but that made my blood pressure drop too low and I was told to take less, although they would always work at that level.

To see an endocrinologist I would have to be referred to a hospital on the mainland - and that just doesn't happen as far as I can tell. The best we have is local GPs and diabetic nurses. Plus, of course, the dietician I don't really agree with. I have come to the conclusion that medical coverage is patchy in Britain. Some place are probably pretty good but some are less so. I would go and choose to live in a place where the patch is pretty thin. That's why people here are pretty well on their own when it comes to chronic conditions (eg Parkinsons, MS, diabetes and so on) and some practitioners are just the ones who are willing to come and live here, so not necessarily the best. This is the reason my husband finally passed away - poor care from a medical professional (he would probably not have lasted much longer anyway, but it was a mistake that finally took him).

Winnie-the-Pooh

Oh I’m so sorry ! Please take care of yourself !

Sending hugs

Winnie-the-Pooh

12.25 now - 3 mugs of tea into the day. Bowel very over-active today - been getting there for the last 3 days after constipation for 3 days before it. I have to go out today so I just gave in and took Loperamide to try and calm it down.

I took something I'd labelled as butternut squash dhal out of the freezer last night along with some beef ragout. It turns out that the dhal is probably just b'nut squash stew with some lentils in it. I'll have it shortly and keep the ragout for later.

FBG ths morning was 9.4 - probably higher now since I've had nothing to eat or, therefore, insulin. The days when I have to go out are days when I can't take diuretics - Wednesday was the dentist so I had to take them late, Thursday I had to take them late again - after getting home from the Health Centre. Yesterday, couldn't take them because I was out in the evening. Today I'll be out in the afternoon and can't take them either - this is the normal for Friday and Saturday these days. I've been doing this for some time now so I don't think that is the issue with the tightening waistband. No point weighing myself today with the overactive bowel situation. Actually, there are days when I take the pills but they seem to have no effect and other days when you would think I had taken them, but haven't. Then there are the days when they have a huge effect. As usual - nothing is straightforward. I used to take higher doses but that made my blood pressure drop too low and I was told to take less, although they would always work at that level.

To see an endocrinologist I would have to be referred to a hospital on the mainland - and that just doesn't happen as far as I can tell. The best we have is local GPs and diabetic nurses. Plus, of course, the dietician I don't really agree with. I have come to the conclusion that medical coverage is patchy in Britain. Some place are probably pretty good but some are less so. I would go and choose to live in a place where the patch is pretty thin. That's why people here are pretty well on their own when it comes to chronic conditions (eg Parkinsons, MS, diabetes and so on) and some practitioners are just the ones who are willing to come and live here, so not necessarily the best. This is the reason my husband finally passed away - poor care from a medical professional (he would probably not have lasted much longer anyway, but it was a mistake that finally took him).

Oh I had no idea about it. I lived near London and it was ok I guess. I did not like the wait with NHS and I was pretty healthy then. Sigh !

I am not in U.K. anymore, I live in San Francisco (far from down town ). So we get lots of good doctors. Problem is with famous ones the waiting times is too long.

I can imagine if you need referrals , that is too much headache plus traveling to mainland . It’s hassle , I agree. I guess it’s the price of a beautiful peaceful town and clean weather and less traffic .

I am going to take a vacation with bf next yr in U.K. and bf is from Scotland So I will update my NHS knowledge .

—-
I see my endocrinologist every 2-3 months and my nutritionist every month . I also see a second endocrinologist for a second opinion every time I feel I need , and I see an optometrist every year and a nephrologist every year to checkup my eyes and kidney .
Also I have a few doctors in the family ( above specialities plus more ) so I call them 24 hours a day but they are not in the same city. Still lots of phone consultations every week plus in person visit whenever we meet in family gatherings

I also ignore lots of my nutritionist suggestions. She talks for a full hour every month so I just lean back and day dream about cream puffs . I only can handle 15 min doc visits not a whole hour !
She shoes me plastic models of foods I can eat like I’m a 2 yr old !
Next time I will ask for toy dinosaurs

Reactions: DJC3