What have you eaten today? (Low carb forum)

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Evening all

@maglil55 and @ianpspurs I understand that Halo Top have a keto range of ice cream. Not clear whether it’s available in the UK yet.

@Antje77 that pot looks like it should be sitting on a camp fire!

Bit of a hungry day today.

Lunch was smoked salmon and whipped creamy cheese. Still hungry a while later so ate a bag of serious pig snacking cheese and a bag of pork crunch. Also tried a serious pig snacking salami, which was vile - straight in the bin!

Dinner was a Diet Doctor breakfast sandwich.

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Evening. Black coffee this morning.
Lunch was a chicken salad - still trying to use up leftovers from the weekend. H/m mayo lettuce, celery, spring onion 1/2 avocado.
Dinner: like @maglil55 it was the chicken Cordon Bleu. I had it with the salad ingredients suggested, grated not in ribbons. The chicken breasts were huge, nearly 1/2 lb each, so I’m wondering if that’ll affect fbg
@annabell1 of course you must focus on the immediate problems of UC. I hope you start to see some improvement soon, but I’m glad you haven’t gone away completely.
@Antje77 I did a double take at your kitten proof cooking method, but I can see the necessity. Hope your oxtail is as good as it sounds.

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Another pre 5.00 am wakeup so early tea. Tip run with an entire still wrapped shower and toilet suite - the porcelain stuff, glass doors so heavy. Tea then 4 hours of burning paper on bonfire and in incinerator. Off piste after that, 1/2 Waitrose 1 Hot X bun - well buttered - kaltenbach, Swiss Art No1 and gammon - Boris the Tee 2 showed 4.4 after 2 hrs. Very post truth I think. Had a break then mushroom omelette with avocado salad. Probably a 3.5 hour eating window but I was very hungry.

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
@Antje77 I did a double take at your kitten proof cooking method, but I can see the necessity. Hope your oxtail is as good as it sounds.
I think it's the only room with a door I can close, unless you count the guest room but that one is badly lit. If it works, it works, and I live alone so no-one to complain if I choose to cook in the bathroom :) (except for the cats and dogs of course, but they'll have to wait for their portion until after I've eaten.)

For now, it looks like it needs a couple more hours, so I've just finished a grilled cheese sandwich substitute: folded low carb wrap (4.5 gr.) with mature Gouda, sucuk (Turkish garlic salami), soft goat's cheese and sundried tomatoes in oil, warmed in frying pan until the cheese had melted. Hopefully my stew will be finished in another couple of hours so I can try some before bed :hungry:

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi All
Todays intake is the usual breakfast of slice LL toast, butter, tea x2. Lunch didnt really happen met friend at Sainsbury cafe which is glum but all we could manage, had an awful coffee. Back home handful of walnuts and lots of phone calls. Supper will be W Chicken Shaslik with cabbage for me.
@annabell1 sorry to hear your troubles you can prioritise BG when you feel better. Dont ever think you are being judged on priorities because folk with complex health issues just have to prioritise and I so hope the UC settles real soon. Best wishes and take care.

Quinn1066

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Yesterday 05/02/2020
FBG: 4.0
Breakfast: 50g rolled oats, 60g fresh blueberries, 101g non fat natural yoghurt, 25g peanut butter

Lunch: detailed testing done, this meal got me a 1mmol/L rise after two hours, and a peak rise of 1.4 after an hour. First time testing my beloved bread. Does better then white corn tortilla that treat me very well. 80g sprouted sunflower soughdough toasted, 61g tuna in springwater drained, 8g butter, mustard, 125g raw tomato, 17 fat reduced fat cheese. very happy I can eat bread again, knowing what it does to me is good, no spikes. Ginger, lemon, peppermint tea before eating, peppermint tea after finished eating.

Dinner. 2 large eggs, 1 XL eggs, 160g cauliflower, 17g reduced fat cheese, 10g salsa. Would have had tortillas with this, but I had run out.

Also figured out legumes clog me up, but not green string beans, or regular garden peas. But chickpeas, lentils, even pinto beans are bad. Also beans especially pinto beans they spike me.
Edited: to correct rise calculation, and add that beans spike me.

Last edited:

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
I think I'll probably use foil to wrap the chicken breast and fill it with garlic and maybe soft cheese (tiny bit of brie maybe?) and have it with steamed broccolli and maybe the cream and cheese sauce left over from a day or so back, but that will put the calories up, which I am trying to avoid.

I did do the chicken in foil in the oven - had a little bit of the Brie to see what I thought about it. It was Cornish, not Somerset and it was a bit on the hard and tasteless side. So I didn't use it but am hoping it will ripen over a few days kept in the larder rather than the fridge. Should have bought French Brie. I just used the cheesey cream sauce from a few days ago, added some garlic and piled it into the pocket in the chicken. Served it with steamed broccolli and more of the sauce. It was surprisingly good because the sauce in the chicken cooked down to produce a garlicky paste.

Currently making a kind of green gloopy soup. Lots of spinach, watercress, celery, broccolli, left-over cauliflower tops, trimmings from the broccolli (stems) and some onion and 2 dried Omani limes in chicken stock. I'll blitz it tomorrow because it is fairly large chunks of veg. I do like using up everything if I can.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Evenin’ All,

yesterday was
L: steak
D: chicken kebabs
Plus 70% and a keto protein shake at 5pm

today was
L: sausages
D: steak and a tin of gf lc gumbo (basically fish and veg soup).

the gumbo was because I have fancied the idea of gumbo since I read one of Terry Pratchett’s Discworld books. First time I have found it though. The book where the witches travelled internationally. Anyway, apart from the veg content, was pleasantly surprised. Didn’t expect the flavour layers in what was essentially a tin of soup.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Breakfast: my usual low carb coconut ‘porridge’ with strawberries and cream washed down with a black coffee.
Lunch: Left over cauliflower and broccoli with melted strong cheddar and Greek yoghurt, coffee chia pudding and LC chocolate granola.
Mid afternoon: Birthday cake phd bar and black coffee.
Dinner: deconstructed cheese and bacon burger with mushrooms and salad followed by SF jelly, cream and macadamia and coconut keto granola.

AF9D4D88-1391-4F41-ADFF-EB2A4FF01F48.jpeg

SlimLizzy

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
football, both the game and the culture.
05-02-2020
Had it all written out then tried to add a photo and poof lost the lot.

Reactions: maglil55

Winnie-the-Pooh

Today :

Breakfast : omelette at work . The cook forgot my beloved ham pieces again but I had a take away and I was too busy to go back. So ate it. I hate it when I have to start my day without ham or bacon . What is the point of life ?

Lunch : two meatballs and a few slices of carrot . It was too little and I wanted more but did not feel like waiting again .

Dinner : I’m making my legendary prawns
Will have them again with raw mushrooms and cucumber and cheese .

Desert : none- in favor of a night snack ( that is popcorn ) plus movie . I make popcorns myself in the microwave.

Random Trivia : I still have my Christmas tree with all of the lights !

Quinn1066

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Today :

Breakfast : omelette at work . The cook forgot my beloved ham pieces again but I had a take away and I was too busy to go back. So ate it. I hate it when I have to start my day without ham or bacon . What is the point of life ?

Lunch : two meatballs and a few slices of carrot . It was too little and I wanted more but did not feel like waiting again .

Desert : none- in favor of a night snack ( that is popcorn ) plus movie . I make popcorns myself in the microwave.

Hope you have a good night with popcorn and a movie. Pity about breakfast, next time remind the chef when placing the order, it must be annoying for your breakfast order to be wrong.

Winnie-the-Pooh

Yesterday 05/02/2020
FBG: 4.0
Breakfast: 50g rolled oats, 60g fresh blueberries, 101g non fat natural yoghurt, 25g peanut butter

Lunch: detailed testing done, this meal got me a 1mmol/L rise after two hours, and a peak rise of 1.4 after an hour. First time testing my beloved bread. Does better then white corn tortilla that treat me very well. 80g sprouted sunflower soughdough toasted, 61g tuna in springwater drained, 8g butter, mustard, 125g raw tomato, 17 fat reduced fat cheese. very happy I can eat bread again, knowing what it does to me is good, no spikes. Ginger, lemon, peppermint tea before eating, peppermint tea after finished eating.

Dinner. 2 large eggs, 1 XL eggs, 160g cauliflower, 17g reduced fat cheese, 10g salsa. Would have had tortillas with this, but I had run out.

Also figured out legumes clog me up, but not green string beans, or regular garden peas. But chickpeas, lentils, even pinto beans are bad. Also beans especially pinto beans they spike me.
Edited: to correct rise calculation, and add that beans spike me.

Yes beans and in particular pinto beans spike me too , more than other beans. I don’t like pinto beans anyway.
The only beans I like are kidney beans and blacked eye beans . But I try to avoid them unless in very small quantities.
Lentils also spike me, even a small amount in salad . It’s a pity since they have lots of iron .

I don’t have too much trauma not having beans. It’s the nice breads and pastries and pasta that I miss .

Reactions: Chook and Quinn1066

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Today :

I enjoy raw mushrooms too, but if you lob then into your stir fry very shortly after your prawns they will pick up some of the deliciously flavoured cooking juices. Yummmmm.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I think it's the only room with a door I can close, unless you count the guest room but that one is badly lit. If it works, it works, and I live alone so no-one to complain if I choose to cook in the bathroom :) (except for the cats and dogs of course, but they'll have to wait for their portion until after I've eaten.)

For now, it looks like it needs a couple more hours, so I've just finished a grilled cheese sandwich substitute: folded low carb wrap (4.5 gr.) with mature Gouda, sucuk (Turkish garlic salami), soft goat's cheese and sundried tomatoes in oil, warmed in frying pan until the cheese had melted. Hopefully my stew will be finished in another couple of hours so I can try some before bed :hungry:

Antje - you might want to be a bit careful with the raw turmeric/yellow fingers. Turmeric is an excellent dye, if you want it to be, but once on cotton or some other materials (including marble), it can be difficult, if not impossible to remove.

If it is on cotton, drying said articles in sunlight helps and it'll go over time. When we use fresh turmeric and to a lesser extent, powdered, I use paper towels on my hands and keep an eye out for drips and spillages.

I hope your concoction was delish!

SlimLizzy

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
05-02-2020
@Winnie-the-Pooh melt butter in a pan, medium heat, if it browns too hot. add finely chopped chilli, grated ginger, and the prawns. Stir fry. If yours are cooked they just need heating through. Two or three mins should be plenty. If you overcook prawns they lose moisture, shrink and go tough. Good sprinkling of black pepper. Done. Enjoy.
@Muddy Cyclist am also likely to be having HbA1c test in next few weeks, during proposed visit to UK.
@Antje77 well done you for working out kitten proof cooking. MrSlim has been constructing a baguette cupboard. Baguette will not fit into either a standard cupboard or a bread bin, the usual French solution is to have a baguette bag, which goes to the shop as well. However this won't work for us. Neighbours cat eats anything except fruit and is a most determined and assertive animal. A bag would be ripped to shreds. All this faffing about because of a greedy cat that isn't even ours.
8.30am FBG 6.1
Breakfast. CWC. nut granola
Lunch 2 slices toasted pain kapnor with pâté and Roquefort .CWC.
Dinner 7.10 pm
roast chicken, carrots, brocolli, ratatouille style mixed veg. Few potato wedges. Large glass of white wine.
More wine.
Several lemon tea and possibly a CWC during the day.
Bedtime 11.15 lemon tea.

Last edited:

SlimLizzy

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
@maglil55 thanks for mushhroom/cauliflower recipe. Will be trying this out later in the week.
@ianpspurs totally agree. So far all low carb ice creams have ended up in the bin.

Reactions: maglil55

Quinn1066

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Today 06/02/2020 No measurements taken
Breakfast: 50g rolled oats, 72g blueberries, 100g natural fat free yoghurt, 25g peanut butter. 5 white coffee with a total of 100ml milk used from 5.30 - 9.30 AM

Lunch: 87g sunflower sourdough, 95g small can tuna in tomato and onion sauce, John west ( random purchase, had 5g of fat from sunflower oil in it, not enjoyable, won't get again), 17g reduced fat cheese, mustard

Dinner: 2 XL egg, 5g butter 0.5tsp olive oil, 200g mushrooms, 100g cherry tomato, 2 white corn tortilla.

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Antje - you might want to be a bit careful with the raw turmeric/yellow fingers. Turmeric is an excellent dye, if you want it to be, but once on cotton or some other materials (including marble), it can be difficult, if not impossible to remove.
Too late now, I already found out! My right hand now looks a sickly yellow as opposed to the bright yellow of yesterday and I expect to forever have a kitchen towel with yellow stains now you've told me it won't disappear with normal washing. Doesn't matter, still perfectly usable, stains and all :)
Neighbours cat eats anything except fruit and is a most determined and assertive animal. A bag would be ripped to shreds. All this faffing about because of a greedy cat that isn't even ours.
:hilarious:
Sounds like my cats. MrSlim must be a very wise man to know it's much easier to make a cupboard than to keep cat from doing what it wants.:D

Last edited:
Reactions: ianpspurs