What was your fasting blood glucose? (full on chat)

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
You can still burn dried seasoned wood although that is more expensive (of course) and no doubt when the unseasoned (wet) wood is outlawed the price of that is likely to increase
How do you geta a fire going with unseasoned wood. Maybe it's because I live in thecountry but theres no problem buying seasoned wood here and if anyone does fell a tree they store the wood at the back of a shed for a couple of years.
Hope you’re feeling better today.

Reactions: HarryBeau

Krystyna23040

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Fbg 6.9 at 4 am

Painting for today for my daily challenge to myself.
Not happy with it at all.

View attachment 38880

Acrylics Pink and purple and white, squished on to A4 paper. Left to dry.
The green and pink felt tips you can see. The Japanese fude pen for trees. And I used the white chalkboard pen to squiggle some white lines etc

Rain and wind here.
Back in bed with cat.
My mood is very low. Nothing will make me happy today. So I am going to turn electric blanket on, and go to sleep until my brain learns to behave itself...I have some rose and jasmine essential oils in my mister that is going besides my bed. I have a heated eye mask ready. I will be meditating.. Give me a couple of hours or so to turn this round. I hate wasting time being depressed. It doesn't achieve anything. I was like this yesterday, and usually after a night's sleep I can turn this round, If only the sun would shine, then that would help. But it's a uniformly grey day outside.

I will look back in when I am positive again.
Take care.
Hugs if you need them....
I do like your painting. I can imagine walking along the path with my doggies. There is something magical about the quality of light through the trees.

HarryBeau

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
How do you geta a fire going with unseasoned wood
I always started it with coal & kindling...then threw the wood on usually got a good fire going it does take a little longer but the unseasoned wood seems to last longer...still feeling a little yukky shoulder aching nose still snotty but my cough is receding a little...my Orson Welles voice is now deeper (my neighbour says more like Orson Cart) then ever...I have an appointment at the clinic tomorrow going to rearrange that...could you imagine if I had the energy to go & turned up like this...there'd be an absolute panic.

HarryBeau

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Morning...up & about feeling a little better than yesterday...cough has subsided slightly although still quite snotty...my voice is lower than ever so sitting it out at home again cancelling all appointment for the next couple of days...coffee & cream soothing me into the day...woke to a 7.2 to be expected I suppose.

Reactions: jjraak

dunelm

Master
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Good morning folks from a wet and trying to decide whether to snow or not morning in the dark and dangerous north.

The wonder wheel of pulled pork and eggs in great abundance last night came in at 5.1 this am.

Digging around in the book store in the attic (looking for a 19thC copy of Euclid’s Elements) and got side tracked with a book called “Wine Is The Best Medicine” by Dr E.A. Maury, a leading practitioner of homeopathic nonsense (basically water) in France in the 70’s and an advocate of using wine to sort out all sorts of maladies. Here is what he says for diabetes:

Quote:
“Recommended wines - young red wines with a moderate percentage of alcohol (Bordeaux and Sancerre).
Why? - First, wine, because of its very composition, acts as a nutriment (whatever that is) which replaces the starchy food forbidden in the diet; it also prevents diabetic coma by opposing the formation of ketonic bodies; by its vitamin content it stimulates the combustion of sugars and fats; and last, it facilitates the metabolism of nitorgenous food and lipids which, in a diabetic’s diet, replace the forbidden carbohydrates.
Dosage - an average of 800 grammes of red wine per day to be divided between the main meals. This must be included in the dietary allowance medically prescribed.”

So - there is your prescription for a good dollop of wine each day.

On oven cleaning duties today so best get on with it.
Have as wonderful as day as you can decide it to be. Koffy first.

Last edited:
Reactions: Barb McD

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Later than usual so unsure if it is technically still morning. 5.8 fbg confirmed by 3 stabs covering both hands. As an fbg way too high but coupled with longer, higher quality (for me) sleep score, sub 55 resting pulse and almost smack on 72 kgs my dashboard looks at least amber this morning. More relaxed and more carbs yesterday. 3 slices hi Lo bread and a 16 gms carb raspberry compote panna cotta around 8.00 pm. Coupled with my first signs of the mystery virus moving around the family yesterday but not so far today, acceptable for now. I expect tomorrow to show the true impact of yesterday - probably still trading off of he heavy duty outdoor work. If all is well tomorrow interesting times ahead. @gennepher and @Barb McD hugs for your issues. @Muddy Cyclist and all interested in CC and our govt. As per 10CC it is a fitting menu for a dilletante just now - part of the very large distraction burglary he is involved in. Those plans will never happen once donors to his party have a quiet word in his shell like. Pity and all that but the EU/ The elite/Martians on the back lawn will be blamed. May your bg levels be flat and low and your pleasures be wafted on thermals. Isaiah 12 v 2 looking as good as ever to me.

Last edited:

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I always started it with coal & kindling...then threw the wood on usually got a good fire going it does take a little longer but the unseasoned wood seems to last longer...still feeling a little yukky shoulder aching nose still snotty but my cough is receding a little...my Orson Welles voice is now deeper (my neighbour says more like Orson Cart) then ever...I have an appointment at the clinic tomorrow going to rearrange that...could you imagine if I had the energy to go & turned up like this...there'd be an absolute panic.
Yes I imagine they last longer. We bought a ton when we moved in 15 years ago but because we only light the one fire some weekends they are still going but are VERY dry! That virus is hanging around hope you can stay in today and tomorrow. Recommend soup, rug and kittens. Lol yes you would have the waiting room to yourself! Take care.

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes I imagine they last longer. We bought a ton when we moved in 15 years ago but because we only light the one fire some weekends they are still going but are VERY dry! That virus is hanging around hope you can stay in today and tomorrow. Recommend soup, rug and kittens. Lol yes you would have the waiting room to yourself! Take care.
We effectively heated everywhere by using the 1 wood burner - except when grandchildren stayed. >£20 per month heating bills.- had the big room at 27 some nights. 4 tonnes of well seasoned logs every year (moisture meter to test and well sheeted down). Stacking them was my 2nd favourite part of the year after lawn mowing. Best part was keeping warm from wood i had felled, logged and split myself. The stack indoors made a great feature next to brick fireplace in the main room. Knowing we were moving meant no load of logs last November. Kiln dried, coffee logs, compressed blocks this winter. Obviously more expensive, inconvenient and counter productive with so many trips to buy fuel but not many homes have room for 4 tonnes of logs. Coffee logs and compressed blocks throw off lots of heat.. I am dubious about kindling you buy - where do they get untreated wood these days? I suspect pallets have been used. Many folks burn pallets - 50p each or just help yourself - and all manner of treated wood - goodness knows what is in the air so I fully understand the concerns. We looked at a few houses with open fires/wood burners and no carbon monoxide detectors as well:arghh::arghh: In theory raw materials for coffee logs are free.

Last edited:

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
We effectively heated everywhere by using the 1 wood burner - except when grandchildren stayed. >£20 per month heating bills.- had the big room at 27 some nights. 4 tonnes of well seasoned logs every year (moisture meter to test and well sheeted down). Stacking them was my 2nd favourite part of the year after lawn mowing. Best part was keeping warm from wood i had felled, logged and split myself. The stack indoors made a great feature next to brick fireplace in the main room. Knowing we were moving meant no load of logs last November. Kiln dried, coffee logs, compressed blocks this winter. Obviously more expensive, inconvenient and counter productive with so many trips to buy fuel but not many homes have room for 4 tonnes of logs. Coffee logs and compressed blocks throw off lots of heat.. I am dubious about kindling you buy - where do they get untreated wood these days? I suspect pallets have been used. Many folks burn pallets - 50p each or just help yourself - and all manner of treated wood so goodness knows what is in the air so I fully understand the concerns. We looked at a few houses with open fires/wood burners and no carbon monoxide detectors as well:arghh::arghh: In theory raw materials for coffee logs are free.
Thanks Ian I enjoyed reading that. I agree stacking logs is very therapeutic. That was a really economic use of wood in your previous home. What is your heat source in the new place? Our youngest and GF moving into their first home late this week, a tiny Victorian cottage, oil heating but they are hoping to rely on the open fire till autumn with an electric heater as back up. We would love to move to somewhere we could have a stove, wood or multi, but because of the many restrictions of what is available we realise that may not work out.

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks Ian I enjoyed reading that. I agree stacking logs is very therapeutic. That was a really economic use of wood in your previous home. What is your heat source in the new place? Our youngest and GF moving into their first home late this week, a tiny Victorian cottage, oil heating but they are hoping to rely on the open fire till autumn with an electric heater as back up. We would love to move to somewhere we could have a stove, wood or multi, but because of the many restrictions of what is available we realise that may not work out.
Currently we have gas central heating. There is a fireplace and there has been a gas fire. A little exploration in the loft tells us we may be able to install a log burner - especially as we have now sighted the massive TV somewhere other than above the fireplace. All depends on cost really as I have a budget based on what I think this place is worth max and what will still look and work ok 10 years on. Unsure if we want to be dealing with bags of logs etc in our mid 70s and pretty sure I want a bungalow at that stage. We know where there is an old gits colony here and have bought at a level which allows us to go "back home " in a reasonable area as well. We were always going to be forced to downsize the land by that point or earlier - couldn't have lived with it deteriorating. I saw how my dad struggled once mum was bed bound. Nice young lady from Ipswich has heard of our plight and just delivered a food parcel to us. Kindly hired a Morrisons van for the job, bless her. Take care and I hope you are soon able to move and downsize although that has its own problems.

Last edited:

geefull

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
good morning all :)

4.3 today

it's a bit chilly and we have a 'snow' weather warning on the forecast today here in the wild and frequently windy North ;)

We left our woodburner on last night and the living room was still nice and warm this morning.

Like @ianpspurs this year we are mostly burning compressed blocks, they do give a good heat and are clean enough to store some backup packages in the porch at Mum's for her in case the weather takes a nasty turn so she won't have to go out to the shed for fuel. We order them by the pallet which both households share and mr gee and I spent a little while yesterday moving the remainder of a stack across her shed to leave space for the next order.

That's one of my tasks for the morning, online ordering the next batch of blocks :)

upload_2020-2-24_10-1-53.jpeg

Hope your day treats you kindly :)

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
good morning all :)

4.3 today

it's a bit chilly and we have a 'snow' weather warning on the forecast today here in the wild and frequently windy North ;)

We left our woodburner on last night and the living room was still nice and warm this morning.

Like @ianpspurs this year we are mostly burning compressed blocks, they do give a good heat and are clean enough to store some backup packages in the porch at Mum's for her in case the weather takes a nasty turn so she won't have to go out to the shed for fuel. We order them by the pallet which both households share and mr gee and I spent a little while yesterday moving the remainder of a stack across her shed to leave space for the next order.

That's one of my tasks for the morning, online ordering the next batch of blocks :)

View attachment 38883

Hope your day treats you kindly :)
Just had a little pang of sadness as that looks remarkably like the woodburner we had. I also miss the brick fireplace but that won't work here. Great fbg by the way - but you knew that already. I just love how you deal with T2 and your lifestyle in general. I know of/ have met/understand people just like you. Most of the rest plain baffle me and I'm pretty sure it is reciprocal. I think I would be relatively comfortable in your presence @PenguinMum and @Muddy Cyclist. Some of the rest of you would scare me pooless. Pretty sure I would love to be in the same congregation as @SaskiaKC

Last edited:

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Good Morning 6.4 today creeping up again.

Wet and cold here and lots of running around to do.

@SaskiaKC my VW camper is Wilfrid named after my dad, I used dads handwriting to have the name cut out and yes it's BLACK :joyful:
View attachment 38881

Time races on so make good use of your day.

A lovely touch. Respect.

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
3.1 Temp 40.3C @ 7am

Hey folks *waves* happy Monday to you all.

Quick q - NHS. Is it worth emails/letters/even more emails when dealing with the NHS? Or should I just re-evaluate, cash in everything & go private?

Saw gastro “consultant” last Thursday & had to put on my best “I work with engineers” voice when he blithely told me my swollen, painful abdomen is registering on ultrasound as within normal parameters as he scooted his chair towards his door, telling me another “special” set of endoscopic tests (already done) had been requested, I said “poor manners, poor form, rude - and you went to Queen’s?” Pointed out I’d had three minutes of his time. He went red, answered my questions with hostility...not expecting any kind of help from that end. That was The Causeway hospital. RVH Belfast neuro/RABIU @ Musgrave, Antrim Area Hospital & satellite clinics in Ballymena, all have been a tiny bit more than purely useless to me. 8 months of trying to get help.

Just printed the forms to request my notes from the four trusts I’ve orbited - I might have to really fight here and I can say without fear of sounding a fool - I’m ready...

Rant over, steam blown, idiot pills this morning so I can rest.

Laters, cheers

B

Hug for the hassle
Winner for the attitude

My dad ill over many months.. Year or two
GP did no test for prostate
2 years down the road. cancer non operable
Letter of complaint to GP
BS response.

Had Little use of private medical care, but at entry level brilliant.
Not sure once into major territory the service is better, just nicer trimmings perhaps.

Had scare..6 months waiting list for scan and check
Went private. Got referral Monday, saw doc on Wednesday, began treatment Saturday. WOW

Good luck

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@OldButBold I know the cat is enjoying your company. Do you by any change also have charge of a big bird?

@muddycyclist Hello to Wilfrid! He looks very handsome (I was expecting this, I don't know why --

upload_2020-2-24_5-40-13.jpeg
-- very silly of me, I know ... )

@DJC3 I'm glad you are enjoying your new coat. It sounds lovely. I love coats that I can wear out in the rain and stay warm and dry. :)

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Am old crush name..unrequited sadly
Well actually she never even knew.. Younger and a lot more bashful

And apt because I loved it.

Had bikes first, so the freedoms etc I know and enjoyed, but the fun and stuff I had in that car, just magical, looking back...
Gang of us on way to Brighton, music blaring,
The many GF's, that the car put within sensible commuting distances. And those many good night kisses...ooh la la.

Right age, right time.. Guess you had to be there. Sure we all had our own "moments" :D

Reactions: Ryhia and Barb McD