What was your fasting blood glucose? (full on chat)

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I wouldn't say she's big, I mean, in fairness she's lost quite a bit but is still on the chunky monkey side (j/k) :)

All this talk of the Cortina! I started my love affair with them in a Mk1 and ended it some years later in a bright red Mk3 Crayford convertible 2 door Cortina (rare). The Mk1 was upgraded by Janspeed with a stage 2 engine which made it somewhat uncontrollable.

A Rover P5 did come into my life for a while, lovely quiet car and easy to maintain. Worst car was a Citreon CX Pallas, looked like a spaceship but was always breaking down.

Like @jjraak I have fond memories of dating and the Cortina. All my cars had names, it was only polite :)

I enjoyed looking at photos of your car models online just now. Wow, that Crayford convertible! :) Very nice.

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Just have him tell me when to get in the tea and lettuce, and BHOA.*

*Bring His Own Avocado.
Lettuce, cucumber, celery, radish, scallions, olive oil, (lots) apple cider vinegar :), dijon mustard, mackerel in olive oil, chia seeds and flaxseeds + BBB* and much avos. Approx 4 litres tea daily works for me. Re wreaths etc. LH side neighbour has had Happy St Patrick's day sign up at least since Feb 7th and has a wreath with HI on front door - when not hidden by a huge Toyota like a Landcruiser on steroids.

*B Big Bowl

Last edited:

SlimLizzy

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
football, both the game and the culture.
24-02-2020
@Muddy Cyclist how did the HbA1c turn out?
@DJC3 wishing you a pain free trip to dentist.
@Barb McD what an arrogant, unpleasant man that consultant was.
This morning 5.4
Recent HbA1c result over the phone 40.
Had to ask three times for the figure though. Whoever was on the other end just said "Normal" and then repeated herself when asked for the number. When pressed for the exact figure she said forty.
Why do health workers think we should not know our own test results?
Moved on to visit son. Received a most enthusiastic welcome from one of their two cats. Up on our shoulders, purring, rubbing up to our hair and faces. Very surprising.
Pleasant evening and lunch out before we hit the road again, now heading for the overnight ferry. We are towing a trailer with two bathroom suites and a chest freezer. Along with assorted other building supplies. Car is stuffed to the roof as well.

Last edited:

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
24-02-2020
This morning 5.4
Had to ask three times for the figure though. Whoever was on the other end just said "Normal" and then repeated herself when asked for the number. When pressed for the exact figure she said forty.
Congratulations on normal HbA1c amongst the move, labouring, storms, Mr Slim's op etc. Stress must have raised that number so great effort all round.

Muddy Cyclist

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
24-02-2020
This morning 5.4
Moved on to visit son. Received a most enthusiastic welcome from one of their two cats. Up on our shoulders, purring, rubbing up to our hair and faces. Very surprising.
Pleasant evening and lunch out before we hit the road again, now heading for the overnight ferry. We are towing a trailer with two bathroom suites and a chest freezer. Along with assorted other building supplies. Car is stuffed to the roof as well.
Good HbA1c result, I know what you mean about pressing for a number I have same issue. My HbA1c blood gathering is Tuesday afternoon so probably have results on Thursday, I hope it goes down to the 30's but I have been having quite a lot of readings in the 6 range so a little concerned.

Reactions: HarryBeau

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
24-02-2020
This morning 5.4

Safe journey SL
I’ve had the same thing from the docs receptionist when I phoned for results of cholesterol tests. Took a lot of persuading before she would actually read out the numbers to me. She kept saying the same as you had - it’s normal.
Ps congrats on normal HbA1c!

Reactions: HarryBeau

UserABC2021

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
My HbA1c blood gathering is Tuesday afternoon so probably have results on Thursday, I hope it goes down to the 30's but I have been having quite a lot of readings in the 6 range so a little concerned.

I know that feeling. Mine is on Wednesday but I won't get my results until a week later and I'm not expecting anything good this time around. Hope yours is ok.

Reactions: Muddy Cyclist

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Lettuce, cucumber, celery, radish, scallions, olive oil, (lots) apple cider vinegar :), dijon mustard, mackerel in olive oil, chia seeds and flaxseeds + BBB* and much avos. Approx 4 litres tea daily works for me. Re wreaths etc. LH side neighbour has had Happy St Patrick's day sign up at least since Feb 7th and has a wreath with HI on front door - when not hidden by a huge Toyota like a Landcruiser on steroids.

*B Big Bowl

Would cod do? Or tilapia substituting for mackerel ...

I have two neighbors who have wreaths on their doors year round. I keep meaning to ask them why (in the nicest way possible) but I haven't seen one, and when I saw the other this morning she was just walking past as I opened my door and we both jumped and then laughed and I totally forgot. :)

Another neighbor, who lives downstairs, hung a big egg on her door last week:

P35253069.jpg
I thought, Good grief, it's not even Lent yet!

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I would love one of those but they are so expensive to keep running so a T5 was a good option for us. T5 VW campers are still very sort after until the dreaded ban on diesel.:(

Still here is Wilfrid, first came on shiny low profiles, looked good but were terrible to ride on so now on black alloys of a more sensible size. The old 1949 Vauxhall was my first car a real beautiful machine straight 6 petrol engine, leather bench seats, trafficators and a column change, wish I still had it it was born the same year as myself. The guy on the bike is the real Wilfrid my dad. Sorry @jjraak i should have started Still here is Wilfrid and it's black. :joyful:

View attachment 38901

Edit... Mrs MC is sitting on and playing a Cajon for those wondering.

Wonderful, happy-looking photos. Thank you for posting them! :)

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
24-02-2020
This morning 5.4
Great news re your A1c well shy of preD. Have a safe journey back.

Reactions: HarryBeau and DJC3

Muddy Cyclist

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The last of the light and aquick dog walk past some pollarded trees by a stream tried to capture them on my return witha dashed off watercolour before I cook dinner A4 20 minutes.

IMG_2658.JPG

Dinner tonight will be Aubergine Bake, Sliced Aubergine griddled, Diced onion and garlic fried, tin tomatoes, black pepper, full fat Yogurt Greek, Full fat Cottage Cheese. LAyered in baking dish, cheese grated on top and sprinkled with paprika. Baked for 20 minutes, gorgeous! Mrs MC as it with rice I have some depending on my pre meal BG reading.

Out of interest it's blowing a gale and the chimney is roaring but fire took an age to get going tonight, think I must have chopped some Oak Kindling.

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

*B Big Bowl
I was wondering if since St Patrick’s Day is March 17 and you havent been there long if the wreath was still up from last year or is displayed early for this year. Seems bonkers to me but some say (Mr PM often) I am a bit bonkers.

Reactions: SaskiaKC

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Would cod do? Or tilapia substituting for mackerel ...

I have two neighbors who have wreaths on their doors year round. I keep meaning to ask them why (in the nicest way possible) but I haven't seen one, and when I saw the other this morning she was just walking past as I opened my door and we both jumped and then laughed and I totally forgot. :)

Another neighbor, who lives downstairs, hung a big egg on her door last week:

P35253069.jpg
I thought, Good grief, it's not even Lent yet!
Not a fan of cod. OK with Tilapia but the tinned mackerel in OO is my real fave. The wreaths make me wonder just when Thanksgiving and Christmas will start to our left. @PenguinMum we had been to this house a few times since October and the St Pat's sign only appeared early Feb 2020. There was one house round here with a Happy Fall sign most of the year.

Last edited:
Reactions: Muddy Cyclist

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The last of the light and aquick dog walk past some pollarded trees by a stream tried to capture them on my return witha dashed off watercolour before I cook dinner A4 20 minutes.

View attachment 38903

Dinner tonight will be Aubergine Bake, Sliced Aubergine griddled, Diced onion and garlic fried, tin tomatoes, black pepper, full fat Yogurt Greek, Full fat Cottage Cheese. LAyered in baking dish, cheese grated on top and sprinkled with paprika. Baked for 20 minutes, gorgeous! Mrs MC as it with rice I have some depending on my pre meal BG reading.

Out of interest it's blowing a gale and the chimney is roaring but fire took an age to get going tonight, think I must have chopped some Oak Kindling.
More lovely trees and background, thank you. I love the sound of your Aubergine Bake and will write it into my D notebook (I am such a technophobe but I love writing in diaries and notebooks). So thank you again. Enjoy your cosy fire, nothing better IMO.

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only

View attachment 38903

I think I like that the most of all your work so far. Very evocative and makes me quite nostaligic/"homesick" I used to really like walking our dogs just as light was fading. Enjoy the dinner - I've never "got" aubergine or cottage cheese (I swear Dr Bernstein fulminates against cottage cheese) but the onion, garlic and tomatoes are everything good. Best wishes for A1c later this week - you'll be fine.

Last edited:
Reactions: jjraak

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
After a 3 course meal and 2 glasses wine I'm well chuffed. Didnt go up during the night either.

Not a good signal here in the Lake district but managing....just.

Some picks for you. What a difference a day makes!!!

So sorry @Debandez .just got around to checking, out the pics...

Glorious, and the food..Nom nom nom..cheers for posting

Last edited: