What was your fasting blood glucose? (full on chat)

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@gennepher another lovely painting, thank you. Sorry to hear about the new issues with your cochlear implant though, I hope you can get it sorted without too much hassle.
@PenguinMum I would be concerned too, about people who’ve returned from holidays coming into my house, especially as you have your vulnerable friend staying. I shouldn’t imagine the Estate agents will mind asking people, maybe set a minimum limit of 14 days post holiday return before they can view? Don’t be fobbed off with them showing people round while you are out as you won’t know if these people have touched your things.
@Krystyna23040 great fbg today ( haven’t read to the end to see if @jjraak has been along to give you the traditional fanfare yet) interesting observation about cream. I’m wondering if that’s the reason mine have been better of late too - since I no longer consume gallons of the stuff in coffee?
@OldButBold sorry about your fbg this morning, but I doubt 1 rogue reading will skew the results much. I loved the tale of the aunts, they sound very much like 2 of my dear aunts, both now sadly departed but I always laughed a lot in their company, there was something a bit PG Wodehouse about them.
@HarryBeau glad you are on the mend. Hope the mayhem upstairs wasn’t anything too drastic.
&Muddy Cyclist I also loved your farm picture, will you still take your bike out in the snow?

HarryBeau

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
glad you are on the mend. Hope the mayhem upstairs wasn’t anything too drastic.
Just the usual when they get up...food first...then fun how wonderful if we all started the day that way!

Reactions: DJC3

Debandez

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
4.9 . Fab

Snow has disappeared. A little flurry at midnight but didnt stick.

Last day of holidays today although Eric is off work all week so still good times ahead.

Staying with my daughter and family on white cross bay holiday park. Dinner, bed and breakfast basis! They did us a lovely low carb dinner. And I'm not getting up til I smell bacon! :)

Muddy Cyclist

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@gennepher another lovely painting, thank you. Sorry to hear about the new issues with your cochlear implant though, I hope you can get it sorted without too much hassle.
@PenguinMum I would be concerned too, about people who’ve returned from holidays coming into my house, especially as you have your vulnerable friend staying. I shouldn’t imagine the Estate agents will mind asking people, maybe set a minimum limit of 14 days post holiday return before they can view? Don’t be fobbed off with them showing people round while you are out as you won’t know if these people have touched your things.
@Krystyna23040 great fbg today ( haven’t read to the end to see if @jjraak has been along to give you the traditional fanfare yet) interesting observation about cream. I’m wondering if that’s the reason mine have been better of late too - since I no longer consume gallons of the stuff in coffee?
@OldButBold sorry about your fbg this morning, but I doubt 1 rogue reading will skew the results much. I loved the tale of the aunts, they sound very much like 2 of my dear aunts, both now sadly departed but I always laughed a lot in their company, there was something a bit PG Wodehouse about them.
@HarryBeau glad you are on the mend. Hope the mayhem upstairs wasn’t anything too drastic.
&Muddy Cyclist I also loved your farm picture, will you still take your bike out in the snow?
Thank you, providing there isn't no ice before the snow fall, YES, mountain biking in the snow is magical. If we get the snow promised over night I shall be Mountain Biking the 5 miles over the heathland and bridleways to turn out Mrs MCs hoss, safer than driving with the school run mums on the loose.

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
We are always asked to be out for viewings though I dug my heels in last Saturday when they turned up unannounced. The Saturday before I noticed the chair and laundry basket on the landing had been moved and it turnd out they had gone up in the loft. Cupboard doors opened etc. This process is not for the faint hearted. When my friend moves in with us for the second half of March we wont be going out.

Reactions: DJC3 and HarryBeau

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
That sounds a very sensible instruction @PenguinMum to ask if they have been abroad and where.
You are doing the right thing.
Take care.
Yes I am happier now I have told them. So sorry about the cochlear problem and hope you can get it sorted out pronto. Can only imagine how annoying it is for you. Love the postcard you painted :)

Reactions: HarryBeau

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I felt like I was in an episode of the Golden Girls. I have always enjoyed the company of the elderly and been fascinated by their stories. Maybe its because my grandfather knew I was a willing subject for all his tales both real and imagined. Now I'm in that age group it's no different, I can still listen in raptured silence to bygone memories. Your aunt reminds me of an Irish lady I meet occasionally in the village, a female Father Ted if there ever was one :)

Golden Girls....hahaha,,what a great show that was.

Yes that's Molly...we arrived at Euston Station on our way to visit another aunt...Molly had never been on an escalator before & her first experience was traumatic (for us too) her co-ordination wasn't brilliant (the brandy) so she missed her footing & travelled up the escalator partly on her back displaying underwear that hadn't been on display since Queen Victoria's unmentionables were shown at the V & A many years ago...my mother was apoplectic one of the heels on her best wedding bought shoes broke as she tried to extract her sister from the moving stairs meanwhile the rest of us were busy trying to pretend we didn't know them...it was a car crash journey I shall never forget.

oh dear..now if that was on video, you'd be an Instagram/youtube star for sure...:hilarious::hilarious::hilarious:

always like the ..
"growing old IS mandatory
growing up is optional"

coupled with "growing old disgracefully."....forever young, huh

Love those two stories,,thanks both :happy:

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Fbg 6.9 at 3 am.

I woke early. I sort of had a bad dream. I didn't realise it was a dream until I woke up. I thought it was real. I was living in a ground floor flat. Then I realised it was waist deep in water. The river next to it had burst its banks. So I looked out of the window, and the floodwater had just reached the roof of my car. There was one person trying to swim to safety. All I could think of was I had said that I can never be flooded where I live now. But it was a different place. Anyway the dream cut out as the floodwater was rising and I woke up.

So I wrote my thoughts a bit in my diary, then it was 4am, so I am thinking what to paint today. I got my St Petersburg watercolour paints out. I have never done a colour chart with them. I used these a lot 20 odd years ago. But the tops of the watercolour pans had gone mouldy...it was my fault, because I had wrapped them in a plastic bag. These paints are generally very wet any way, they don't dry out, like normal watercolours that can go hard.

Cleaned them up in the bathroom sink which is now rainbow coloured...
And made this colour chart. Which took ages. But I needed it as I have forgotten what the darker pans come out like. There were 26 pans originally, I put the extra colours in the middle section, that I needed at the time. And I arranged the colours as I used them at that time, which might not look logical, but worked at that time.

I didn't have enough time to do a proper bigger painting, so I grabbed a white piece of index card, and did a quick painting...it is probably 6 inches by 4inches (no, I don't deal in metric...). I have to go out soon because my Cochlear Speech Processor program is corrupted and I can hear s*d all with it apart from wierd sounds that cut on and off. It is totally doing my brain in. So I have a long driving trip today...

In the few minutes, about 10 minutes, I have been writing this the weather has gone from rainy and cloudy, to clear blue sunny skies (for just a moment), to driving sleet, to driving snow, and now we have rain. Not a fun day to go and drive in...but I need to make this appointment.

So here is this morning's tiny painting...and bits and pieces and colour chart and Chinese paintbrushes. I only use Chinese brushes for watercolour, and have done so since the 1990's when I did Chinese painting and calligraphy under Cathy Wu in the Chinese Pagoda in Liverpool. A lot of the time she spoke in Chinese to us, when she got heated that we were not following her instructions....

View attachment 38953

Take care
Be kind to each other
Hugs if you need them, and hugs if you don't...

Good luck with the implant,

and liking the back story to the painting.

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
So 6.2 for me this morning after being woken in the night by a phone call from someone thinking we were Burger King - announced calls only and private number eh, BT? Yes, I'm well aware I could achieve the same out of control bg level without constant hunger and wearing 2 base layers and thick jumpers all year round. But would I be sub 11 St 6 or be able to virtue signal I'm LC? Thought not. @trick60 sounds like a very difficult but simultaneously very easy decision. Best wishes for the A1c today @OldButBold - the aunts sound amazing. Tantalising hints of an interesting but sad tale @Barb McD. Titus has it right IMHO @SaskiaKC . So Ash Wednesday but no ashing service in this town:bigtears: New dishwasher sine this one is a)old and b)like Arkwrights till since the integrated door came off in my hand. May your bg levels be as low as the FTSE just now and your pleasures be as high as Mr Cummings' opinion of himself - but with justification. Quite a psalm 38 start for me. 1 Timothy 617-19 seems very apposite since 2016 (2008?) - apposite but totally unheeded.

:hilarious::hilarious::hilarious::hilarious::hilarious: jibber jabber....Top post

and worrying about the FTSE and around the world.
this CV is impacting so many things besides the illness itself.:yuck:

dogslife

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Unfairness/ use of offensive language.
What the... blazes! Its blood test day and I wake up to a 7.0 :banghead: Why did I have cheese before bed, oh well.

Having acted as chauffeur to her ladyships aged aunts, delivering them to and from the cemetery and then back home to the Welsh Marches, I got to see the floods first hand. We also went from bright sunshine through to hail and then snow before returning to rain.

The saving grace was that the aunts had imbibed more than a sherry or two and were in a raucous mood, regaling me with tales of their misspent youth whilst I surely blushed and made matters worse. Getting them out of the Jimny (2-door) was acutely embarrassing as the public observed some old dear reversing out of a car in all her funerial finery whilst the other old dear was shouting "Grab her ass she's got dodgy hips!" :)
Never a dull moment, ey @OldButBold?:)

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Morning good folk

Fbg 3.5 @ 5am

Way behind on posts because I am pancaked out, I lost count, two griddles (old school) and too much (mostly) polite queue jumping by the adults *grin*...

Hey, take my grown up children, no REALLY, please someone take them I think occasionally

Right low low fbg - @ jjraak being investigated for a few things, all gastro/endo/neuro related. I’m constantly playing for over 4, even on the days the nausea/no appetite allows me to eat. It’s going to be neurological based, dammit I’ve seen the CTs Just waiting on new dates for more tests with a very rudely apathetic consult, or his enthusiastic SHO who bounds around like a puppy shouting “reboot, it’s radical” and I’m thinking ummmm NO. Also now that I only love real food I can’t start messing with the idea of being out of control again, that’s too much to swallow

I’ve a complicated back story med wise from being diagnosed with T2. It’s really early so I’ll jump in again later to read properly, my join as LupeValez years ago & this one as me (surreal moment) really spurs me on. Bit philosophically angry about it, and I really want to watch Picard again, have a brill start to your days everyone

Engage!

B

Thanks for sharing @Barb McD
hadn't meant to be too nosy, but it did seem low.
hope the levels get to a place your more comfortable with as quickly as possible.

DO like the positive spin on the days, you manage to add to each entry.
humour is certainly a great tool to get us through many a dark corner.

Have a good one, today

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks Saskia I agree, I can’t understand why people crop dogs ears, I think it’s barbaric. His ears are so expressive and velvety feeling. And his tail is gorgeous. My daughter has a Great Dane with the most fabulous soft silky ears but I know it’s the fashion in some circles to crop these lovely creatures ears too - a la Scooby Doo. It’s a terrible thing to do just for fashion and I really don’t buy the argument that it stops them getting ear infections. No evidence for that at all.

Absolutely agree.

and ..(about to offend someone, i know :bag: )

I HATE those little vanity dogs so beloved of the airhead celebs.
what kind of life is that for any real dog, to be paraded like the latest toy.:rolleyes:.

Apologies if that's anyone here..
( sorry? yes, but i still hate them )

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Cat soup lol. You’re right though, marketing companies are paid a fortune to come up with different ways to part us from our cash - you can imagine the brainstorming session for that product - hey, people like soup in the winter, let’s dilute cat food and sell it as soup! You have to admire the audacity really.
I think generally cats have more discerning tastes than dogs. Dennis will happily eat the most revolting things ( Canada Goose poo is a favourite atm) so the issue is getting him NOT to eat something rather than persuading him to eat it.

yep..it's offical, DENNIS has disgusting table manners...:hungover:

A lovely low 5.0 this morning. I haven't a clue why - or maybe actually I have. Yesterday I had much less cream.

I have proved to myself over and over again that I have an upper limit of cream but from time to time do have more cream in the hopes that it won't affect fbs - but it always does.

and a well deserved reward for going Cream free..(almost), is...Da-Da..:D

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have started to believe that life isn't nearly as funny as I see it and it's just my aspie-ness translating events into a 5-year-olds eyes :)

i think you can choose to see the dark..or you can choose to look and see that chink of light in the gloom, personally

But a 5 years olds eyes..that WORKS too*..:hilarious:

(*this is not an admission of guilt, nor acceptance that i have EVER, ever giggled like a loon at
many, some or any incidents i have had the joy to behold in my life ...Honest ;):wacky::D:hilarious: )

Last edited:

Ryhia

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
A lovely low 5.0 this morning. I haven't a clue why - or maybe actually I have. Yesterday I had much less cream.

I have proved to myself over and over again that I have an upper limit of cream but from time to time do have more cream in the hopes that it won't affect fbs - but it always does.

I am addicted to cream, I have tried to give it up but it soon creeps into the diet again. Pre Dx my very favourite treat was to buy a tin of cream which I would eat very slowly over the course of a couple of days. Used to use a teaspoon and savour every mouthful. Imagine my delight when a low carb way of eating actually encourages the eating of cream. Think I would need therapy if I had to give it up completely.

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you, providing there isn't no ice before the snow fall, YES, mountain biking in the snow is magical. If we get the snow promised over night I shall be Mountain Biking the 5 miles over the heathland and bridleways to turn out Mrs MCs hoss, safer than driving with the school run mums on the loose.

I hope you take your camera and post a photo - probably too much to take your easel and do another plein air picture!