COVID 2019 Comorbidity with Diabetes

Winnie53

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Am so behind on the thread. Will try to catch up tonight. Got good news today from my health insurer...

We have the ability to have our patients tested for the novel coronavirus/COVID-19. If testing is warranted, we will make the appropriate arrangements. As a member of [my health insurer], you will not have to pay for costs related to COVID-19 screening or testing. We believe that cost should not be a barrier to screening or testing for our members who may have been affected by this virus. [My health insurer] will not charge member cost-sharing (including, but not limited to, co-pays, deductibles, and coinsurance) for all medically necessary screening and testing for COVID-19. This policy applies to the cost of the visit, associated lab tests, and radiology services at our hospital, emergency department, urgent care, and provider offices where the purpose of the visit is to be screened and/or tested for COVID-19.
I don't know if I could have afforded testing if it became necessary due to my high deductable. I believe I read today that all private insurers in the US have agreed to do this, but check with your insurer. If however, I'm hospitalized for treatment, I will be financially responsible for the deductible.

Reactions: kokhongw

Razzamuffin

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Random question.

If someone catches the virus due to self negligence, then passes it on, and people die from coming in to contact with that person .... Does said person become a murderer or anyway responsible for deaths that happen because it was passed from them?

I don't mean legally I mean from a morality perspective.

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to eat as many chocolate digestives as I used to.
If I get the symptoms then I won't want to infect anyone else vlunerable so will stay home and ride it out in the company of I player/Netflix. I haven't stockpiled because that just causes shortages and I do have enough body fat to live off provided I've got coffee!

Might want to dig the old DVD's out, predictions are that the UK's internet infrastructure will not be able to handle the bandwidth of everybody working from home.

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to eat as many chocolate digestives as I used to.
Random question.

If someone catches the virus due to self negligence, then passes it on, and people die from coming in to contact with that person .... Does said person become a murderer or anyway responsible for deaths that happen because it was passed from them?

I don't mean legally I mean from a morality perspective.

I think people have been prosecuted for knowingly passing on HIV so in theory maybe yes.

Honeyend

Its about social responsibilty, you may be under 30 and likely to suffer litttle effect, but you could pass it on to someone else who could end up being very ill. This is a very interesting video about that and other things.
What worries me is lack of testing, not so much in the UK, GPs are testing patients as part of surveilence, over 26,000, but South Korea has done the highest amount. The more testing the more is understood how its circulating in the whole population not just people who may think they have it or have symptoms.
https://www.gov.uk/guidance/coronavirus-covid-19-information-for-the-public Updated 10/3

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@Honeyend..great post.

i noted in the clip

5:30 mins...
1+ mortality rate =10 x seasonal Flu
Covid infection rate is 3 x attack rate over seasonal Flu

12:40 mins wuhan death toll 2,400
flu season 1,500
and they SHUT the country and welded up apartment doors.
what would the numbers be if they hadn't taken sich drastic action.

and the US..
13:42..mins..

and 17:48 mins.. clear transparency... tinged with fear.

So calm, measured and scary

Lest just stop and think for one minute about this:

First official recognition of the virus dec 31..

and we are now here.......in Just 70 days ..:wideyed:
and we are only at the beginning of this
it's still expected to rise considerably here and globally.

ps, Cheltenham..really.:woot:..:rolleyes::banghead:

Sadly expect the Irish to be moaning bitterly in a few weeks time as the numbers there soar,
because of Cheltenhham.:sorry:

WackyJacky64

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Other
I feel we have been given a death sentence because we are being told we will likely get this virus. Great just as life was improving for me and I actually started to look forward to things , now we have this every day when we wake up doom and gloom on tv on every channel and its depressing .

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I feel we have been given a death sentence because we are being told we will likely get this virus. Great just as life was improving for me and I actually started to look forward to things , now we have this every day when we wake up doom and gloom on tv on every channel and its depressing .
Oh @WackyJacky64 i do hear that..and does all sound so bad.

the only thing i can point to to, as a little chink of light.
Is that this site
https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/
has been my Goto for data.
and the rate for those Mild 88% V Critical 12%, has gone down over the last month.
( i guess more testing throws out the majority are NOT seriously impacted )

and also on the recovering 94% V fatal 6%..that too has improved tremendously.
so things are less bleak then they were Globally, which doesn't really help
here on the ground, i'll admit ..BUT it IS better then it was..the numbers ARE improving
lets hope they continue for me & you, and the others on here

All WE can do i look after ourselves the best we can,
stay up to date with outbreaks and the latest news
up the Vit C, eat well, exercise if at all possible, stay well
do the things we are asked, Hope other do that as well

for me i have begun taking fresh ginger tea, and a little bit to chew on.

will it help..maybe, maybe not, but what else can we do.
it has benefits for those with breathing issues (asthma here)

None of this is written in stone.
it is warning that we might be impacted,
but many of us will avoid, the worst..
God willing, but we must do as much for ourselves as possible.

Take care.

Winnie53

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The Administrator of our department informed me just as I was leaving for the day...

COVID-19 CONFIRMED IN A WHATCOM COUNTY RESIDENT BELLINGHAM, WA – Today the Washington State Department of Health (DOH) confirmed a case of 2019 novel coronavirus (COVID-19) in a Whatcom County resident. The individual is a woman in her 60s who received medical care at PeaceHealth St. Joseph’s Medical Center. Her condition improved, and she was discharged. Since that time she has been self-isolated at home. She has no known international travel history. The Whatcom County Health Department is working aggressively to identify all those who may have come in contact with the confirmed case. Close contacts may include family members, co-workers, emergency responders and others. These people will be closely monitored for symptoms to avoid further spread of this virus.

Here we go...it's here now. Everybody's had the jitters all day, and that was before the alert came out.

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
The Administrator of our department informed me just as I was leaving for the day...

COVID-19 CONFIRMED IN A WHATCOM COUNTY RESIDENT BELLINGHAM, WA – Today the Washington State Department of Health (DOH) confirmed a case of 2019 novel coronavirus (COVID-19) in a Whatcom County resident. The individual is a woman in her 60s who received medical care at PeaceHealth St. Joseph’s Medical Center. Her condition improved, and she was discharged. Since that time she has been self-isolated at home. She has no known international travel history. The Whatcom County Health Department is working aggressively to identify all those who may have come in contact with the confirmed case. Close contacts may include family members, co-workers, emergency responders and others. These people will be closely monitored for symptoms to avoid further spread of this virus.

Here we go...it's here now. Everybody's had the jitters all day, and that was before the alert came out.

A sad "welcome to the party" @Winnie53
BUT improved and sent home..AND they seem to be on the case re contacts etc.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 308541

UK's junior health minister has contracted coronavirus

From CNN's Milena Veselinovic and Isa Soares

Nadine Dorries, the UK's junior health minister, has tested positive for coronavirus, UK Department of Health told CNN on Tuesday.

Dorries, who is an MP and health minister for patient safety and suicide prevention, is now in self-isolation and "the usual contract tracing has begun," a spokesperson for the health ministry told CNN.

UK health minister Matt Hancock tweeted about Dorries, saying: "Really sorry to hear Nadine has tested positive for coronavirus.

She has done the right thing by self isolating at home, and both NHS and PHE staff have been brilliant. We all wish her well as she recovers."

You might have to scroll down, not that there is any more than what I quoted...

https://edition.cnn.com/world/live-news/coronavirus-outbreak-03-10-20-intl-hnk

kokhongw

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Some notes from Italy... note the remark on obesity...
https://twitter.com/Wilkinsonjonny/status/1237493105529630722?s=20
upload_2020-3-11_9-55-44.png

Reactions: Struma

anouser1

Not long diagnosed and already a near pandemic to avoid :( I've not seen anything about how at risk young adults with diabetes are though, only diabetes in general but still very worrying!

Indy51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@Winnie53 and others interested in an alternative/functional medicine approach to the epidemic. Though I'm not a huge convert to Dr Gundry's plant theories, he covers the subject fairly comprehensively in his presentation that is included in this video:

I already take Vitamin D3 and C, but think I'll be upping my dosage for the duration. The more I hear about the dangers to people with pre-existing pulmonary fibrosis, the more I feel like I may be committing SBC (suicide by crowd rather than cop, in this case) every time I venture beyond my own four walls :(

Debandez

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
We didn't have a thermometer so I thought I would order one. All makes I had heard of were sold out. Ordered a Braun one from Portugal, apparently it is on its way - fingers crossed.
Got one in my local chemist today. Lots available