Coronavirus

Nikki1111

Having type 2 diabetes I am terrified of the coronavirus. I am still abit overweight, trying my best to lose some weight! I suffer with severe Anxiety and contamination OCD, my anxiety is very high. I really do not want to go out anywhere!

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I think the mention of Diabetes refers to T1 as it is an autoimmune condition.

If you have no other health conditions then you should be fine.

Reactions: jjraak
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
Having type 2 diabetes I am terrified of the coronavirus. I am still abit overweight, trying my best to lose some weight! I suffer with severe Anxiety and contamination OCD, my anxiety is very high. I really do not want to go out anywhere!

Hi here is a thread regarding the COVID-19 virus, my son has OCD too, and well done on trying to lose weight.
Best thing is to have good hygiene practices in place, which I'm sure you do, get updates on what is going on and and try not to panic. Are you on any other forums that deal with anxiety, as these could help as you would be chatting with others similar to you.
Take care.

Paulm80

I am ask so very worried about the corona virus..... very worried the footballs gonna be cancelled in the summer

Nikki1111

Hi here is a thread regarding the COVID-19 virus, my son has OCD too, and well done on trying to lose weight.
Best thing is to have good hygiene practices in place, which I'm sure you do, get updates on what is going on and and try not to panic. Are you on any other forums that deal with anxiety, as these could help as you would be chatting with others similar to you.
Take care.
Thankyou. I'm on a couple of forums for anxiety and OCD, I'm just very worried as I'm not very good at tying to control my T2 diabetes.

ert

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
diabetes
fasting
I think the mention of Diabetes refers to T1 as it is an autoimmune condition.

If you have no other health conditions then you should be fine.

Not to add to anyone's anxiety but the risk is for anyone with high blood sugar and heart/lung complications.

'Those with diabetes, especially those with higher BG levels, may be at higher risk for contracting viruses. Once contracted, illnesses can be harder to treat because of fluctuations of glucose levels and the presence of other complications. Most of the reported deaths in people with diabetes had Type 2 diabetes, were older and had heart and/or lung disease.'
https://beyondtype1.org/coronavirus-and-type-1-diabetes/

Reactions: LucySW

nomoredonuts

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Current American Presidents.
We wash our hands routinely when we have shopped and touched a Tesco trolley, and before we put away any groceries. That is something we have always done. We have been in and out of a hospital too, and practically bathed in antiseptic gel. I'd quite like to see a little less hysteria from the media though.

Reactions: Robbity and jjraak

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
hi @Nikki1111

hugs for the anxieties..now i get them i sympathies much more with others

Quite right to be concerned, it is our health and this has had a lot of publicity.

in most it seems to be mild, and many are recovering.

it can be worrying, but as said best way is to stay informed and listen to the advice re hand washing, face touching.

Bigger discussion on here, for those wanting more info.

covid-2019-comorbidity-with-diabetes

Last edited:

Ushthetaff

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Mountain out of mole hill makers ,queues , crowds , shopping on a Saturday hmm just shopping I guess no matter what day it is
I am type 1 diabetic and in the 40 years I’ve had it , I think I’ve been classed as susceptible to every thing from swine flu to bird flu to hippo flu etc etc , I’ve come to the realise that one is as bad as another and I’ve managed to survive , I do think there is a touch of scaremongering going on or as I like to call it a@se covering,I’ve looked at the %ages and personally I think they are not that bad . Plus this is corona 19 what happened to the previous 18 ? I will do as I normally do wash my hands etc etc , and take what comes.
Here’s a wee comment that may be hugely controversial, I ( and this is only my opinion ) think the reason there are so many allergies , virus’s etc these day is because we are too clean. I don’t prescribe going around like a skank , but these days there are so many antibacterial sprays etc which kill everything well 99.9% . We need good bacteria so how does it differentiate, we don’t build up any immunity on our own. When I was a kid we played in mud and ate sandwiches hmm did we get a wet wipe out errr no .
Was there a 5 second rule if u dropped sweets on the floor err no 5 week rule more like , and who can remember picking up fag ends off the road and rolling them in to a fag..lol
I do understand concern and I know people are dying and for those affect in this way I do show concern, but I think some of the advice can be a tad conflicting

lindisfel

Expert
I think the 19 refers to 2019 when this new variant coronavirus appeared. Not that it was 19th in a series of deceased viruses.

I am pleased you think it is not serious and relatively trivial, I hope you are right.
The doctor in China who was pilloried initially for warning the population, found to his cost it really was serious...it killed him and he was then declared a hero, even though he was dead.

Don't confuse a virus with a bacteria.
D.

I am type 1 diabetic and in the 40 years I’ve had it , I think I’ve been classed as susceptible to every thing from swine flu to bird flu to hippo flu etc etc , I’ve come to the realise that one is as bad as another and I’ve managed to survive , I do think there is a touch of scaremongering going on or as I like to call it a@se covering,I’ve looked at the %ages and personally I think they are not that bad . Plus this is corona 19 what happened to the previous 18 ? I will do as I normally do wash my hands etc etc , and take what comes.
Here’s a wee comment that may be hugely controversial, I ( and this is only my opinion ) think the reason there are so many allergies , virus’s etc these day is because we are too clean. I don’t prescribe going around like a skank , but these days there are so many antibacterial sprays etc which kill everything well 99.9% . We need good bacteria so how does it differentiate, we don’t build up any immunity on our own. When I was a kid we played in mud and ate sandwiches hmm did we get a wet wipe out errr no .
Was there a 5 second rule if u dropped sweets on the floor err no 5 week rule more like , and who can remember picking up fag ends off the road and rolling them in to a fag..lol
I do understand concern and I know people are dying and for those affect in this way I do show concern, but I think some of the advice can be a tad conflicting

Ushthetaff

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Mountain out of mole hill makers ,queues , crowds , shopping on a Saturday hmm just shopping I guess no matter what day it is
I think the 19 refers to 2019 when this new variant coronavirus appeared. Not that it was 19th in a series of deceased viruses.

I am pleased you think it is not serious and relatively trivial, I hope you are right.
The doctor in China who was pilloried initially for warning the population, found to his cost it really was serious...it killed him and he was then declared a hero, even though he was dead.

Don't confuse a virus with a bacteria.
D.
Not confusing virus and bacteria but we need goose bacteria to help of our immune system kill good bacteria kills our ability to fight a virus

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people

Hi, I too grew up playing in mud, ponds, being out and about in all weathers with no wet wipes either.
I believe COVID-19 is due to it being recognized in the year 2019.

ianf0ster

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
exercise, phone calls
No reason to be extra concerned unless:
A). You are very old and frail
B). You have serious heart or respiratory disease.
C). You are an uncontrolled diabetic.

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Chinese noted the fatality rates for diabetes sufferers is between 7.3% and 9.2%.

Sorry, not great news. but this is the best data I have found.

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/coronavirus-age-sex-demographics/
I am choosing to make the assumption that the majority of those had notable complications and poor control and are likely to have been quite old too. Not good if those also apply you but fortunately not so much me and this is how I try and not panic as a result of being nominally in the no 2 risk group.

pavlosn

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
We have had 6 confirmed cases of coronavirus in Cyprus so far. Four of them involve individuals returning back to Cyprus from trips to the UK.

Yet the UK has only reported about 370 cases as of today.

Something does not add up.

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
We have had 6 confirmed cases of coronavirus in Cyprus so far. Four of them involve individuals returning back to Cyprus from trips to the UK.

Yet the UK has only reported about 370 cases as of today.

Something does not add up.
Did the four people travel together? Even if they did it still seems like bad luck.

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
idiots who will not learn
@pavlosn .... not surprised until it's defined. Iran and Italy are streets ahead in terms of hit rates. Trust you're well my friend :)

Mike Sixx

I am not very optimistic on my chances with CORVID-19. I have T2 and borderline Hypertension so if the death rates of both conditions are cumulative that would mean I'dd have better chances surviving a round of Russian roulette- 1/6 odds - than CORVID-19. And since surviving CORVID-19 does not give you immunity, it is not many times I can beat those odds. Or even just the CORVID-19's 9.2% mortality rate among people with diabetes
https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/coronavirus-age-sex-demographics/.

I made my peace with it, if it kills me it kills me, no point worrying about it. At least it will be fairly quick and easy death, at least compared to Diabetes. Besides the way things are going the next decade might not be something I want to hang around for, specially with Diabetes; recession, scarcity and totally overwhelmed health care system.

There is no really a point worrying about death. It is not likely you get to regret it ; ) I only worry about by girlfriend and the impact on her life, she will be hurt and I would not be there to protect and help her in the hard times ahead.

All we can do is try to improve our odds; eat right and live as healthy as possible.