What was your fasting blood glucose? (full on chat)

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
i gave a win for the irish link, but really deserves a big hiug, you can hear the worry, and that's amplified across the land.

We DO, i agree have to change what we are doing.
explained re shops, sure there are other equally valid methods

I'd like to see the chemist use Deliveroo or similar.
Blood runners on motorbike do take blood to hospital, maybe we should be looking to those not working to do something similar.
many bikers in the UK sure a good few will be off work .
a good way to help out..i'd offer..(may speak to chemists on Monday)

a collection in a secure way from pharmacy each day, perhaps left in room, all to exit, rider comes collects, meds taken to peoples homes, left on doorstep, and await collection (mobiles ? ) most will be at home if vulnerable surely..i think that ties in to the governments concerns about SI ..better one on one then hundreds in queues possibly passing it on, if not worrying the life out of each other.

sure many details to iron out, payment for fuel the number one, might be harder to get at some point.
but challenging times require novel solutions.

we are a great nation, i see no reason why inventive methods of distribution on local levels can not alleviate the genuine worries and concerns and simply add to the govt SI protocol.
Thanks jj. But why is there no common sense about how people, vulnerable and elderly, collect their monthly repeat prescription? If nothing else and there is so much more basic stuff that could be simplified. I am so frustrated about the lack of joined up thinking!

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
It is where you live? I thought this time of year (around spring equinox) it would be light at 7 in most places!

(I'm off on the internet now to find out how this works :) )

Because they keep bringing the time change date forward more each year, now that it comes early, for the first few weeks it is still dark at 7 am.
And still light after 7 pm. I hate it. The long summer evenings are hot enough without the extra hour of daylight in the evening.

Krystyna23040

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
At last finished my daily painting that's taken 4 days, but only about 2 hours in total painting time. Third in my Slate series, not happy with it so shall probably paint another to replace it at some point..wattercolour based on the old mine buildings on Snowdon Watkins Trail, A4 Size. have put the other two up as Thumbnails...
View attachment 39593

View attachment 39594 View attachment 39595
This is really good. It feels like I am standing there looking at the view.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ryhia and ianpspurs

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Because they keep bringing the time change date forward more each year, now that it comes early, for the first few weeks it is still dark at 7 am.
And still light after 7 pm. I hate it. The long summer evenings are hot enough without the extra hour of daylight in the evening.
Ah. We still have wintertime where I live. I'm not much of a morning person so I like long evenings. Would going at 7:30 help?

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
So I said to Arnie, "Where'd you get those toilet rolls?"

ESpS-lCUYAA41uc

He said, "Aisle B, back."

Reactions: Barb McD

Muddy Cyclist

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@Muddy Cyclist your paintings evoke a memory for me, I lived in Dorset 16 years ago and one time we were walking on the beach when I saw these. They made me think of souls lost at sea returning to the land. I used the photo I took as a FB banner for a while ;)

View attachment 39599
Great photograph and imagery @OldButBold you have inspired me to try 3 seascapes based on breakwaters.

@SaskiaKC @gennepher @Krystyna23040 thank you for your compliments regarding my painting.

@gennepher particularly liked the background of this piece of digital art.

Our Recorder quartet/quintet are looking at being able to perform together over the Internet. The guy who leads the quartet sent sound files from his music software, Sibelius, along with PDF music scores so rehearsaing alone will be easier ready for the Video Link and playing together. Just now need to workout how to sync my iPad to TV which may make it easier with a bigger image to see whilst trying to read the music. If this works then we shall try the same with the folk group.

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
If i read the Sunday papers correctly
the storm approaches

IF you have no reason ,,stay home.

ok.. if are undecided, for whatever reason..i get that.

But...PLEASE do read the papers, do listen to the doctors saying how unsafe YOU make THEM.

yes YOU..going about your business, IS putting THEM in danger.

IS your needs SO much greater then theirs, your neighbours life, your families, or any members on here. ?

because as much as we DID, do what seemed right, less then a few days/weeks ago...

the world is clamping down and has changed in so many ways..

So i ask, NO beg you.......why IS your reason worthy to be deemed essential..??

some of you will be going to jobs that until only a few weeks ago seemed normal, yet TODAY
are essential to oh so many...YOU, i salute, and a.thank you from us all.

but for those of us , who probably fall into that..
really .."essential ? " bracket,:rolleyes:

PLEASE rethink again..and then THINK again
is that really the TRUTH ?.. and worth risking you, your partners, your children's, your neighbours life..?

if the answer is yes..then i salute you.
if i can help in any way . please let me know.. YOU deserve our full respect.

IF not .

STAY home
we are the most equipped generations to sit on THAT sofa.. (yes silver surfers 'get' netflix :rolleyes: )
so chill, watch box sets. eat the food we stocked up on..wait for the all clear

BUT for gods sake,PLEASE let these doctors ONLY have to be exposed to those they NEED to be exposed to
those WHO did not know the risks..and let them be well enough to save as many as they can.

Don't let US be a big part of THAT group..those who ARE in the endangered group who they specifically asked to STAY HOME

And WHO was that...ME and YOU....yes YOU
diabetic, older, and maybe with other underlying illnesses

go out and get ill..what do YOU think will be your outcome.?

you might die..some doctor might die.
and YOU could avoid it all, by the drastic act of ...sitting on your sofa...:banghead:

Is that what YOU want for your families...??

THINK , ..action, ....be responsible.
To ME, to us, To your families.

This i REAL, please NOW is the time to stop the
Cr-@p
The NHS needs US to do the little we CAN do.
so stop .

give them the best chance to do their job

real people, dong real jobs
someone else's son.daughter./wife /husband/
are at genuine risk

please stop.THINK.
is that journey really 'essential' ?

from what i have just seen on tv
the NHS has already moved to a triage system.

triage is where someone DECIDES if YOU get treatment based on
AND state at admittance.

that is not what we had yesterday.

YOU can make that decisions TODAY
or let a stranger make it tomorrow.

do YOU think you are worthy of being given treatment
good, me too, ..but get ill and it WILL not be YOUR call,

Older ..NO
got an other illness..NO
perhaps came in at a busy period ..NO

SO throw the dice or check yourself right now .
your call.

this just got REAL

God bless you all
stay well
stay safe

Last edited:
Reactions: geefull

Muddy Cyclist

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
We have been in the garden most of the day, me doing chairs and making troughs, Mrs MC gardening. Our garden backs on to open spaces behind the huge Holly Hedge. Being a fine day a group of young people gathered there, not a problem no noise no misbehaving but they were smoking and we could smell the smoke now and agin in the garden. This got me thinking if we can smell this we are breathing it in, could it carry a virus. I know C19 is not airborne but is smoke a carrier of droplets. I have searched the net but found no concrete evidence. This is a worry with kids being out of school as they will most likely gather more often and as the garden is going to be a place we spend more time in I am concerned. Does anyone know about if smoke from cigs can carry this virus?

Last edited:

Muddy Cyclist

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
If i read the Sunday papers correctly
the storm approaches

IF you have no reason ,,stay home.

ok.. if are undecided, for whatever reason..i get that.

But...PLEASE do read the papers, do listen to the doctors saying how unsafe YOU make THEM.

yes YOU..going about your business, IS putting THEM in danger.

IS your needs SO much greater then theirs, your neighbours life, your families, or any members on here. ?

because as much as we DID, do what seemed right, less then a few days/weeks ago...

the world is clamping down and has changed in so many ways..

So i ask, NO beg you.......why IS your reason worthy to be deemed essential..??

some of you will be going to jobs that until only a few weeks ago seemed normal, yet TODAY
are essential to oh so many...YOU, i salute, and a.thank you from us all.

but for those of us , who probably fall into that..
really .."essential ? " bracket,:rolleyes:

PLEASE rethink again..and then THINK again
is that really the TRUTH ?.. and worth risking you, your partners, your children's, your neighbours life..?

if the answer is yes..then i salute you.
if i can help in any way . please let me know.. YOU deserve our full respect.

IF not .

STAY home
we are the most equipped generations to sit on THAT sofa.. (yes silver surfers 'get' netflix :rolleyes: )
so chill, watch box sets. eat the food we stocked up on..wait for the all clear

BUT for gods sake,PLEASE let these doctors ONLY have to be exposed to those they NEED to be exposed to
those WHO did not know the risks..and let them be well enough to save as many as they can.

Don't let US be a big part of THAT group..those who ARE in the endangered group who they specifically asked to STAY HOME

And WHO was that...ME and YOU....yes YOU
diabetic, older, and maybe with other underlying illnesses

go out and get ill..what do YOU think will be your outcome.?

you might die..some doctor might die.
and YOU could avoid it all, by the drastic act of ...sitting on your sofa...:banghead:

Is that what YOU want for your families...??

THINK , ..action, ....be responsible.
To ME, to us, To your families.

This i REAL, please NOW is the time to stop the
Cr-@p
The NHS needs US to do the little we CAN do.
so stop .

give them the best chance to do their job

real people, dong real jobs
someone else's son.daughter./wife /husband/
are at genuine risk

please stop.THINK.
is that journey really 'essential' ?

God bless you all
stay well
stay safe
I gave you a winner but also would like to give you an agree, I have had that conversation with my children tonight. We will not be seeing our daughter and SIL they will be in school, both work with vulnerable kids in state education and my grandaughter will have to go to nursery. This is hard for them and us but essential. My son sadly is not yet completely on board, he agrees he can't see us but I have yet to convince him this is serious stuff, frustrating! Of course he is panicking because he is a self employed farrier and now 5 kids to feed and home which certainly clouds his judgment, very worrying.

Reactions: DJC3

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I gave you a winner butt I also would like to give you an agree, I have had that conversation with my children tonight. We will not be seeing our daughter and SIL they will be in school, both work with vulnerable kids in state education and my grandaughter will have to go to nursery. This is hard for them and us but essential. My son sadly is not yet completely on board, he agrees he can't see us but I have yet to convince him this is serious stuff, frustrating! Of course he is panicking because he is a self employed farrier and now 5 kids to feed and home which certainly clouds his judgment, very worrying.
hi Muddy

i think we can dispense with the forum protocol.. we are friends, right .

in many films i see def-con 4 as the ultimate state of awareness.

we are beyond that..

panicking....oh please

awareness IS the new panicking.

let those who ignore this go to their fate.
we have the chance to make a real difference.

the young may not get our concern..the sad fact is it may take many body bags to get the "it;s just flu"
generation to take this seriously.

But for your son..he is right he must do the best by his family
that is why the govt must act to make all of us feel secure or else we work on risking all.

But while that happens, what does he and many others lose by acting as if all this, as reported is the truth,
except for a little bit of face, if it's all wrong..?

his mum and dad stay alive..the doctors who MAY have to treat him,
his wife & children stay alive.

and for those who say ..panicking...i say preparing,

and deferring THAT moment when illness strikes.

You asked earlier about what we could do, what we should worry about.

any illness you ever had,,get meds for it..sure the stores are empty bur keep an eye out and BUY when you can
don't rely on going back tomorrow, it might be gone.

any thought of care free journeys prepare..
that simple slip that could go septic, and then..:***:
we are Diabetic.. we don't heal so well, what hurts others may be more dangerous to us

if you are petty handy ,get things that might be useful..gaffa tape, WD 40, super glue batteries and torches..needed ? ..who knows..?,

we are in uncharted waters..we may all need help, but it may not come, if the authorities are overwhelmed.

what didn't kill us yesterday, may well kill us tomorrow.
better to avoid the issues or to prep carefully if you must go

NHS is going to be throwing ALL their resources at this COVID.
turn up with something else, you might just get NO help.
so protect and survive..

seems harsh..maybe.
but these guys nursing us will see death on a daily basis.
not sure our pitiful cries will impact on them, after hours of choosing who lives or dies.

better not to be in their triage zone..

Last edited:

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
We have been in the garden most of the day, me doing chairs and making troughs, Mrs MC gardening. Our garden backs on to open spaces behind the huge Holly Hedge. Being a fine day a group of young people gathered there, not a problem no noise no misbehaving but they were smoking and we could smell the smoke now and agin in the garden. This got me thinking if we can smell this we are breathing it in, could it carry a virus. I know C19 is not airborne but is smoke a carrier of droplets. I have searched the net but found no concrete evidence. This is a worry with kids being out of school as they will most likely gather more often and as the garden is going to be a place we spend more time in I am concerned. Does anyone know about if smoke from cigs can carry this virus?

Since I have been wondering the same thing, because of the smoking areas where I live, I have been trying to find something about it for a few days now but nothing explicit.
However I did just find this:
  • Secondhand smoke (SHS) exposure causes heart disease and lung cancer in nonsmoking adults.
  • Nonsmokers who are exposed to SHS at home or work increase their heart disease risk by 25–30 percent and their lung cancer risk by 20–30 percent.
  • SHS is estimated to cause 22,700 to 69,600 premature deaths from heart disease each year in the United States among nonsmokers.
  • Breathing SHS causes immediate harm to the cardiovascular system and increases the risk of heart attacks. People who already have heart disease are at especially high risk.
https://www.nationaljewish.org/cond...tobacco-use/secondhand-smoke/impact-on-adults

So since these smokers are putting you and Mrs MC at risk of heart disease, they are increasing your risk of developing a disease that would put you at even more risk should you catch the coronavirus, even if you did not catch it directly from their secondhand smoke.

Is it possible for you to water or spray your holly hedge when these smokers are out there? It's high -- you wouldn't "know" they're on the other side; you could just happen to be watering it/spraying it at the same time ... With the hose turned on high spray, of course.
Or perhaps the hedge needs regular fertilizing with cow manure and/or bone meal?
Or Haflinger manure? :D

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@Muddy Cyclist This is from your own Health Secretary:

Secondhand smoke
Exposure to secondhand smoke is also likely to exacerbate the risks from coronavirus, alongside the other harms it causes. Therefore, smokers who are self-isolating and are not able to go outside to smoke should seek alternatives such as Nicotine Replacement Therapy (NRT) or e-cigarettes to protect the people around them from harm.

https://ash.org.uk/media-and-news/p...king-makes-the-impact-of-a-coronavirus-worse/

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I keep waking up in the middle of the night and being unable to get back to sleep - very frustrating then I’m tired all afternoon. FBG is 4.3 at the moment, I’ve made a mug of tea and back in bed feeling quite cosy and warm and happy to be here.
Planned big Mothering Sunday dinner obviously won’t be happening now but there’s still plenty to feel grateful for.
@PenguinMum have you looked at this https://www.pharmacy2u.co.uk to get your meds delivered? Free delivery on all NHS prescriptions
@Muddy Cyclist I love your slate pictures and @gennepher your art app is really interesting, I’ve just received some coloured pencils I ordered, plus blender and burnisher pencils. I’m going to take inspiration from you both and start to draw again.
Hope everyone has a contented and relaxed day as possible.