What was your fasting blood glucose? (full on chat)

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Morning All. 4.9 made big effort yesterday. Never thought I would get a run of 4s but now it seems immaterial. @Muddy Cyclist and @gennepher and soon to be joined by @DJC3 art and creativity is food for the soul and thanks so much for sharing. My bottom line in all this is as long as the water keeps coming from the taps, the electricity stays on and the internet stays we will somehow manage. Beautiful sunny start to Mothers Day so hope you all get some pleasure from the day just being and knowing.
Stay well, stay safe.

Wow! Wonderful fbg PM. And lovely sentiments too.

Reactions: HarryBeau

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Fbg was 5.8 so I am not helping those like my nurse DIL who has symptoms because my efforts to normalise my bg were obviously wrong yesterday. Temperature 34 - normal for me, just < 7 hrs sleep and 62 resting pulse. Basically nothing critical but entirely sub optimal so not helping those on the front line as much as I ought. This is going to be a satisficing job unless online shopping steps up its game. This facile mantra that there is enough food in the UK is like the factoid that there is enough food, water and housing in the world for everyone. Yes, but not shared equally, in all the right places or available to all when urgently needed. 21st century society is not constructed for isolation or equality. Fake news or not - but I hope it is - N Y docs given 1 face mask per week and trying to sanitise with hand sanitiser.

Last edited:

Ryhia

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
So ... will you be making some once we're out of quarantine?
Maybe a banoffee instead eh, just to add a little more sugar or how about cocoanut ice or toffee? Hmm. Tell me what you would like and I'll send some out.

I like the process of making stuff don't eat very much of my own creations though as don't really have a sweet tooth. Hubby keeps saying he is on a diet so got no one to cake for at the moment.

Last edited:

HarryBeau

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Morning...first day at work yesterday since the 'lockdown' spent most of it in a custody suite took my anti-bacterial wipes with me...large bottle of hand sanitiser in my bag everything near enough wiped down...difficult to take notes wearing disposal gloves but no doubt I'll get used to it...home off with the clothes straight into the washing machine decided to keep a couple of sets of clothes for work...cancelled the appointment at Wood Green for Charlie & Lola we can rearrange that it's not an emergency...comforting stew for lunch today...today woke to 6.5 & 36.4 temperature so far so good...keep safe everyone do as much as you can.

UserABC2021

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
6.1 this morning with a temp of 35.6, and the sun is certainly helping to cheer up the day.

A lot going happening on the thread, far more than my social inadequacy can handle but a couple of points held my attention. The covid-19 virus is a 'large' molecule which is why it's generally accepted that it's not airborne. Sneeze and cough testing have shown that droplets (under pressure) can travel up to 20 feet but I couldn't find any (searched over 100 papers) evidence of cigarette smoke actually transporting a large molecule. However, I did find repeated evidence that smokers were more at risk of being carriers for any virus (+24/30%), some research intimated that vapers were likely to be in the same group. The results of second-hand smoke inhalation and transmission all appeared to be relatively close range and not at a distance. The below link probably summed it up the easiest.

https://www.statnews.com/2020/03/16/coronavirus-can-become-aerosol-doesnt-mean-doomed/

Krystyna23040

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
5.2 this morning. Had a lovely chat with daughter - who advised me to get Vicks First Defence which is apparently clinically proven to stop colds in their tracks. She thinks that maybe - as colds are caused by either either rhino or corona viruses it could possibly help as another line of defence against this particular corona virus.

None on Amazon - all sold out - so walking with dogs to our little market town to see if Boots or Superdrug have got any.

Am taking vitamin C and D, Echinacea drops and Zinc plus social distancing and using Dettol wipes. Hopefully it will be enough.

SlimLizzy

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
football, both the game and the culture.
22-03-2020
7.20am FBG 4.8
Fizzing with pleasure at this result, wanting to tell the world. Ofc MrSlim is still asleep and would not really understand anyway.
So all I have to do is dig until my back, shoulder and elbow hurt and I am so tired I can barely stand. We have three quarters of an acre. How much of this can i convert from field to vegetable bed before the ground dries out and becomes unworkable?
@PenguinMum great FBG.
@gennepher and @Muddy Cyclist Really enjoy your artworks. Although I don't comment every day.
Happy Mothers Day to all Mums and Grandmas, Nanas wherever you may be.

Last edited:
Reactions: karen8967

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
21-03-2020
7.20am FBG 4.8
Fizzing with pleasure at this result, wanting to tell the world. Ofc MrSlim is still asleep and would not really understand anyway.
So all I have to do is dig until my back, shoulder and elbow hurt and I am so tired I can barely stand. We have three quarters of an acre. How much of this can i convert from field to vegetable bed before the ground dries out and becomes unworkable?
@PenguinMum great FBG.
@gennepher and @Muddy Cyclist Really enjoy your artworks. Although I don't comment every day.
Happy Mothers Day to all Mums and Grandmas, Nanas wherever you may be.
Brilliant fbg and the beneficial effects of digging/heavier garden work mirrors what I found for what that is worth. As much as the physiological reasons/effects seem to be the psychological benefits - certainly good for sleep. O/T and humour being needed just now Julie had a great Mother's day card: A mother as good as you is harder to find than hand sanitizer.

Last edited:

UserABC2021

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
An autistic friend just sent me this, people on the spectrum often see things in a different way. Thought I'd share ;)

fc.jpg

alf_Josiah

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People that point out my spelling mistakes
Good Morening Ladies and Gentlemen and all who are not panic buying, yep a repeat of yesterday's greeting.

Well a worrying low of 5.1 for me this morning so reduced insulin. Never mind just shows what an interesting equation diabetes is.

Well folks today is a secret Mrs J has yet to inform me of my tasks, they are sure to arrive thick and fast.
Have a great and not grate day folks, remember isolation and fresh air, if you do remember please let me know.

True Blue

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hello again everyone. Forgot to tell my True story.

Listening to radio in car last Tuesday, worrying about virus at my destination, Asda, when on came a radio ad.

"Why not enjoy freshly-brewed tea and delicious cakes at the newly refurbished "Friends Cafe" at the (local) General Hospital?"

Someone is crazy. This isn't funny.

UserABC2021

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
This article below was just forwarded to me by a doctor friend of mine.

Just finished doing the garden borders out front, paramedic over the road told me that last night was their worst night so far. The main QE teaching hospital where he works is almost at capacity on its isolation wards. Serious stuff

https://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJMp2005755

dunelm

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Late. Unusually late - and, tea in bed with Mrs Miggins for a lazy start to the day.

The wonder wheel of misinformation and fake news was 5.2 this am - so, black pudding with apple then.

Just had a group facetime session with all children and grandchildren - grandchildren all chirping over each other and youngest one (3 months old) completely bewildered as to where all these voices are coming from.

Happy Mothers Day to anyone who is, or identifies as, a mother.

Can we now commence planting seeds in the garden or should we concentrate on sprouting seeds as a source of food?

Koffy now - afternoon koffy - how decadent can you be?

Reactions: karen8967

Krystyna23040

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
We walked the mile and half to our little market town with the doggies. It was like a ghost town. Got the last two bottles of Vicks First Defence from Superdrug. One for Mr K and one for me. Stung our noses a bit - but apparently that means it's working.

Relaxing now in the conservatory.

Ryhia

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
We have been in the garden most of the day, me doing chairs and making troughs, Mrs MC gardening. Our garden backs on to open spaces behind the huge Holly Hedge. Being a fine day a group of young people gathered there, not a problem no noise no misbehaving but they were smoking and we could smell the smoke now and agin in the garden. This got me thinking if we can smell this we are breathing it in, could it carry a virus. I know C19 is not airborne but is smoke a carrier of droplets. I have searched the net but found no concrete evidence. This is a worry with kids being out of school as they will most likely gather more often and as the garden is going to be a place we spend more time in I am concerned. Does anyone know about if smoke from cigs can carry this virus?
Was wondering the same as you - found this below have not read the whole thing just the abstract but it looks like a distinct possibility that even a person's breathe can carry the virus and when you consider how far cigarette smoke travels so much for any 2 metre isolation zone.

https://www.liebertpub.com/doi/10.1089/jam.1997.10.105
Abstract
Droplets carried in exhaled breath may carry microorganisms capable of transmitting disease over both short and long distances. The size distribution of such droplets will influence the type of organisms that may be carried as well as strategies for controlling airborne infection. The aim of this study was to characterize the size distribution of droplets exhaled by healthy individuals. Exhaled droplets from human subjects performing four respiratory actions (mouth breathing, nose breathing, coughing, talking) were measured by both an optical particle counter (OPC) and an analytical transmission electron microscope (AEM). The OPC indicated a preponderance of particles less than 1 μ, although larger particles were also found. Measurements with the AEM confirmed the existence of larger sized droplets in the exhaled breath. In general, coughing produced the largest droplet concentrations and nose breathing the least, although considerable intersubject variability was observed.

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
This article below was just forwarded to me by a doctor friend of mine.

Just finished doing the garden borders out front, paramedic over the road told me that last night was their worst night so far. The main QE teaching hospital where he works is almost at capacity on its isolation wards. Serious stuff

https://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJMp2005755
Remarkably similar to the Cummings story in the Times and carried in The Guardian:
No 10 denies claim Dominic Cummings argued to 'let old people die'
Downing Street says Sunday Times report on PM’s aide is ‘highly defamatory fabrication’

The paper suggesting molecules/particles travel 20 feet means the 2 metres is suspect as well. Thanks for all the research but I'm guessing that is "your bag"
(Post you and @Ryhia agreed was deleted by me accidentally)

Last edited: