What have you eaten today? (Low carb forum)

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi all - I know long time no see and I also haven’t read back as it’s so long since I did but will try and going to record today and try and get back to regular recording ( says she madly crossing fingers!)
With an 89 year old mum living 120 miles away and an anxious autistic son a few miles away suffice it to say the practical challenges at the moment require most of my time and energy and a huge increase in my stress levels. Daily Crises have included autistic son having panic attack after deciding he had cv19 yesterday! Shopping is a nightmare and full time job especially when your autistic plus ocd son has a limited list of foods he will eat and a compulsion to use lots of unavailable toilet paper,tissues and hand wash ( think Howard Hughes!)
Good news over last week though as youngest son got engaged - it’s particularly heartening as he was so ill from 15-19 years of age with bipolar and so rewarding to see him happy and settled. Hope for the future - even more important just now.
Anyway today’s food
Breakfast bacon and egg on toasted chaffle
Lunch prosciutto with cheddar then Aldi low carb nut and seed bar and coffee
Dinner lasagne using chaffles for pasta sub followed by sf jelly and cream and one hotel chocolate choc.
Hope everyone well in these very very challenging times. Complex day tomorrow so may be a few days to report again but will try to start again as and when I can. Thinking of you all.

Lovely to see your post @shelley262 and quite understandable given your circumstances that you can’t pop in every day. I hope you’re finding a little space in the day for yourself, take care.

Reactions: maglil55

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Breakfast: my usual low carb coconut ‘porridge’ with strawberries and cream washed down with a black coffee.
Late morning: black coffee and raspberry phd bar.
Late Lunch: cheesies followed by Greek yoghurt, coffee chia pudding and LC chocolate granola.
Dinner: Balti chicken curry with cauliflower rice followed by SF jelly, cream and macadamia and coconut keto granola

Reactions: Chook and Annb

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@shelley262 hope you get great joyfrom son’s engagement so thats something nice to focus on. I am sorry for the challenges with caring but I really hope that can go as well as possible. This must be a very challenging time so just saying thinking of you, wishing you well and hoping you and yours stay well.

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Disappointing beef stew. I've come to the conclusion that cooked meat doesn't freeze very well. The gravy is OK and the vegetables, but the beef tonight had no taste left in it and the texture was peculiar. I've been thinking this for quite a while but tonight I really think I've decided not to do it any more. Only raw meat will go in to the freezer from now on. Anything cooked will have to be used up from the fridge.

Reactions: shelley262 and DJC3

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi all - I know long time no see and I also haven’t read back as it’s so long since I did but will try and going to record today and try and get back to regular recording ( says she madly crossing fingers!)
With an 89 year old mum living 120 miles away and an anxious autistic son a few miles away suffice it to say the practical challenges at the moment require most of my time and energy and a huge increase in my stress levels. Daily Crises have included autistic son having panic attack after deciding he had cv19 yesterday! Shopping is a nightmare and full time job especially when your autistic plus ocd son has a limited list of foods he will eat and a compulsion to use lots of unavailable toilet paper,tissues and hand wash ( think Howard Hughes!)
Good news over last week though as youngest son got engaged - it’s particularly heartening as he was so ill from 15-19 years of age with bipolar and so rewarding to see him happy and settled. Hope for the future - even more important just now.
Anyway today’s food
Breakfast bacon and egg on toasted chaffle
Lunch prosciutto with cheddar then Aldi low carb nut and seed bar and coffee
Dinner lasagne using chaffles for pasta sub followed by sf jelly and cream and one hotel chocolate choc.
Hope everyone well in these very very challenging times. Complex day tomorrow so may be a few days to report again but will try to start again as and when I can. Thinking of you all.

Are you going to manage to see your son now that we are all having to stay indoors? Obviously he will still need you, but how will you manage it all? And the same applies to your mother - can you still visit her? Is there some way of making an alternative arrangement? Despite all this, do take care of yourself and try to relax a little and, maybe, find some time for yourself.

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
G'morning peeps :)

I was awoken bright and early this morning by a terrible rumbling noise - we couldn't think what it might be and after checking the road out front for steam rollers decided to investigate (yes, it was THAT worrying). It turned out to be Millie (our elderly yellow Lab) snoring downstairs in the kitchen! So Mr C gave her a nudge and got her to turn over but by the time he got back up the stairs she was snoring again. So we got up at stupid o'clock - which was before my DP kicked in - so today I've had my lowest FBG for months. Every cloud has a silver lining.

So, today...

B: Three egg omelette with raspberry sugar free syrup

L: will be Actimel and a piece of Dolce Gorgonzola

D: (IF Asda deliver my full order it will be) Oumph pulled kebab (very nice) with probably green salad, homemade coleslaw and halloumi chips - if they don't deliver all of it then I will have to get creative

Drinks: usual black decaff coffee, water and probably a glass or two of red wine

Stay safe everyone x

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
G'morning peeps :)

I was awoken bright and early this morning by a terrible rumbling noise - we couldn't think what it might be and after checking the road out front for steam rollers decided to investigate (yes, it was THAT worrying). It turned out to be Millie (our elderly yellow Lab) snoring downstairs in the kitchen! So Mr C gave her a nudge and got her to turn over but by the time he got back up the stairs she was snoring again. So we got up at stupid o'clock - which was before my DP kicked in - so today I've had my lowest FBG for months. Every cloud has a silver lining.

So, today...

B: Three egg omelette with raspberry sugar free syrup

L: will be Actimel and a piece of Dolce Gorgonzola

D: (IF Asda deliver my full order it will be) Oumph pulled kebab (very nice) with probably green salad, homemade coleslaw and halloumi chips - if they don't deliver all of it then I will have to get creative

Drinks: usual black decaff coffee, water and probably a glass or two of red wine

Stay safe everyone x
Morrisons have obviously responded to complaints of their website crashing as they are limiting the traffic that can access the site at any one time. My screenshot of my place in the queue is below. They did do a great job yesterday though as very little was missing. I just hope I get through the queue before my next slot on 10 April as I just put anything in the basket to spend the required £40 to secure the slot. I have until 9 April to edit. I hope your order goes well @Chook.

You can close this page without losing your place in the queue.

[https://assets]

You are currently placed in a queue

We apologise for the wait. We are working hard to facilitate the demand and you may have to wait longer than usual to access the website.
Please note we have very limited delivery slots available. If you want to edit an order already placed please wait.
We are doing everything we can to increase the number of delivery slots and capacity we can accommodate.
Thank you for your ongoing support as we work through these challenges.

Number of users in queue ahead of you:157519
Your estimated wait time is: more than an hour

Status last updated: 11:00:16

Leave the queue (You will lose your place)

Reactions: ianpspurs and DJC3

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
@maglil55 - I had to laugh when I saw your placement in the queue. I copy over a previous order to 'reserve' a delivery slot then amend it the day before delivery.

Asda are from today only showing slots for the next two weeks I think this is because their website kept crashing. First they introduced a queuing system which speeded it up a bit but the restriction to only two weeks slot availability has worked wonderfully and today there isn't a problem updating orders. The only problem is they say to book a slot before choosing items and there aren't any slots available.

I did get a message from Asda saying the delivery driver will deliver orders in plastic bags and will stay well away from the front door. They aren't accepting returns at the door - no sure how that will work with subs.

Mr C says one of the big supermarkets (he thinks Tesco) is restricting the number of items ordered. Next door has Sainsbury deliver and was shorted on about half her order but with no subs. I've got the rest of her Sainsbury order added to my Asda or now. We have decided to help each other out this way until this situation is resolved.

Still no loo roll, tinned veg or beans available in Asda.

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Still no chance of a delivery slot at Tesco - they only show the next 3 weeks and they are all taken. No 2 son now isolating with his family - DIL showing signs of some kind of virus but not sure what. He phoned to say there was a huge queue yesterday at Tesco - he had to go since there is no other way to get food for the family. Neil is intending to go to the shops soon, although he is not really all that well, but he says it is his normal health issues, not a virus. He slept a lot yesterday but that too is associated with a normal health problem he has. With no offers of help and no food deliveries, what is one to do? DIL's business has folded, sadly, but she is hoping to re-start when this is all over. At least second son is still getting sick pay.

I was frying some bacon and eggs for my breakfast and managed to burn my face (about 2" long, beside my eye and a few other spots around my eye - lucky I shut my eye in time) when butter and oil spat out of the pan (must have been some water somewhere), so that's adding to my discomfort at the moment. However, it's no more than discomfort, so I can't complain.

Breakfast, as you will realise, was bacon and egg. I have some smoked mackerel and will make a salad to go with that for lunch. I also have some broccoli in the fridge, so I'll make some broccoli cheese for dinner, if I can be bothered to cook by that time. If not, I still have some of the cold pork left.

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Okay.... my Asda delivery was an hour early with loads of subs which were acceptable and just olive oil not available. I'm sending Mr C on a foraging expedition to find loo roll, olive oil and tinned or dried lentils, cannellini beans or butter beans. Eggs are no longer an issue I've just been given four doze plus the dozen from Asda will keep me going for a fortnight.

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Online ordering and delivery sounds a bit hit and miss. Had to laugh at your place in the queue though @maglil55 we are surviving on freezer stuff and the fresh meat the butcher dropped off this week ( must remember to pay him when allowed out)
A local fisherman (who cant sell in his normal markets as they have shut), advertised on the village Facebook page to see if anyone wanted home delivery. Lots of us said yes so he took his boat out Tues morning and has been posting photos and videos of the sunrise, dolphins, the nets going out etc it’s been wonderful. However today he hauled up a German WW2 mine so he’s had to phone the coastguard and thinks it likely it’ll be blown up and he’ll lose his net. I feel so sorry for him, you really couldn’t make it up. He was apologising to everyone that he wouldn’t have much fish to deliver, but the nets will be hard to replace now. Bless him

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Tescos sent us an email saying that they are restricting online orders to 80 items.

That is fine with us! 80 is a lot, esp if we choose with a modicum of common sense. We don't have another slot booked til the 14th but that is fine, our stocks will not be down by then.

The new dry dogfood has arrived, and seems to be liked by all except Mr No 1 FussyGuts . But since his guts are likely to rebel with new food, I don't mind his refusal. No 3 thinks she is in heaven. Dry dog kibble (Lily's Kitchen) seems to be her idea of ambrosia. She tells me this is the first time in her ENTIRE LIFE that she hasn't been STARVING THE WHOLE TIME! lol.
But I think she is exaggerating.

B: scram eggs and a sausage
L: spiced chipotle mince with 1 tablespoon of potato stolen from Mr B
D: stew in red wine

Had my first Facetime convo today. Very easy. And really just like sitting in the room with them.

The weekend stretches out ahead. Hopefully a bit more peaceful than the last few days have been. Fingers crossed, eh?

Oh, and Mr B has been issued with an official Key Worker letter for him to present to the police when/if they stop him in the streets. I told him it is his fault that he looks suspicious, and will be wandering the dark streets in dark clothes (uniform) at the beginning and end of his antisocial shifts. haha!

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Evening all. Breakfast: TWAM+S : Dockey: CWC & h/m almond milk + SF caramel syrup; L: None: Aft: Tea; Meal: Cheese and avocado salad with flaxseeds; Stewed rhubarb and Kiri, Kiri 10% Greel yogurt - best Greek yogurt I’ve had - was on offer last time I could go to W...: First week of 3 month shielding and first delivery. - Morrisons. Didn't go too well - refused to take substitutes back - I talked through window to driver. explained I'm shielding and refused to touch anything - he said he couldn't remove substitutes. Website says click on refunds tab - just not there and cut off on phone. Charged for £40 of useless goods largely crazy substitutions only known when on lorry e.g. cardamon tea x 2 for Assam and white washing gel for black. We can stand the loss - don't like it - but what about vulnerable/shielded less fortunate?. Take care.

Last edited:

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Didn't feel like cooking this evening. I'll just have tea instead. Still feeling a bit off - slept most of the afternoon. Too tired. My face looks even worse than usual with my new burn, but I daresay it will fade in time. It's blistering right now. Don't know why I'm bothered really - my face is already a mess with all the sun damage from the past. There's only Neil to see me anyway and he's used to me. Might just take some co-codamol and go back to sleep.

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Black coffee and TWAM this morning
Lunch: salad of leaves ( a bit wilted now) avocado tuna mayo and h/b egg. Sf jelly and cream afterwards.
Dinner https://www.dietdoctor.com/recipes/keto-pork-chops-cabbage-casserole this was a great success and enjoyed by everyone. Even Mr C who didn’t spot that I’d made the cabbage ‘casserole’ with shredded sprouts instead of cabbage.
Dog food arrived here too @Brunneria I was starting to get a bit worried as I’d ordered over 2 weeks ago.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Breakfast: my usual low carb coconut ‘porridge’ with strawberries and cream washed down with a black coffee.
Late morning: salted caramel phd bar with a black coffee.
Late Lunch: 2 x Babybels followed by Greek yoghurt, coconut chia pudding and macadamia and coconut keto granola.
Dinner: cold tikka turkey with leafy salad, coleslaw and pork scratchings followed by SF jelly, cream and LC chocolate granola.

D

Deleted member 308541

Breakfast: Usual two egg mushroom cheese omelette, bacon, tomatoes.
Lunch: Garlic prawns done on the barbeque, salad.
Dinner: Chook drumsticks, veggies, gravy.

Drinks: Black coffee no sugars, water.

A message from the Woolies boss this morning re opening hours in certain stores Australia wide.

From tomorrow (Thursday, 26 March), Woolworths will reduce trading hours at 41 stores across the country to 11am to 6pm* to support prioritising the delivery of groceries to the homes of vulnerable customers.

https://www.woolworths.com.au/shop/...ery-home-deliveries-to-vulnerable-australians

Reactions: maglil55 and Chook

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Black pudding and fried eggs for breakfast, 2 RyVita and cold meat sandwiches for lunch - high on the carbs but it was all I could do today.

Tonight will be beef stew - from the freezer again. I have ingredients for fresh cooked meals, but I just don't feel up to it just now, despite being pretty hungry. A bit low on the fluids today - must make more of an effort.

This is a very odd cold - it has been coming and going for a week or so. Sneezed a couple of times yesterday evening, but not today - same with coughing. Just a runny nose from time to time and a lot of catarrh. But today feeling very weak and sore. Only occasional over-heating which again comes and goes fairly rapidly - fleece off, fleece on, then off again. Fingers and toes very cold. DIL has been much the same. Em had a bit of a temperature a few days ago and was sneezing quite a bit. I don't think it is the dreaded C virus, but I'm beginning to think it is some kind of virus. Just as well I can't go out. Neil was sneezing an hour or so ago, too. And he has kept to his room most of the day. I think he must have whatever it is as well.
I do hope you feel better soon @Annb. It sounds a lot what I have been going through these past 3 weeks. Started with sneezing and a irritation in the throat. I then had the worst sore throat I'd ever had for 3 days solid and very chesty. No fever but loads of cold sweats to the extent I was soaked through. Hot, steamy showers and Vic was the only thing giving me relief. Lots of icy water and I had to force myself to eat. Aching limbs, nausea and dreadful fatigue. It was only this week I began feeling more human again and, as I've said in other posts, the smallest task would exhaust me. Like you, I always have something to do and not being able to went against the grain. Thankfully, my isolation stopped anyone else getting it. If it was a cold, it is the worst cold I've ever had.

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I do hope you feel better soon @Annb. It sounds a lot what I have been going through these past 3 weeks. Started with sneezing and a irritation in the throat. I then had the worst sore throat I'd ever had for 3 days solid and very chesty. No fever but loads of cold sweats to the extent I was soaked through. Hot, steamy showers and Vic was the only thing giving me relief. Lots of icy water and I had to force myself to eat. Aching limbs, nausea and dreadful fatigue. It was only this week I began feeling more human again and, as I've said in other posts, the smallest task would exhaust me. Like you, I always have something to do and not being able to went against the grain. Thankfully, my isolation stopped anyone else getting it. If it was a cold, it is the worst cold I've ever had.

I'm telling myself that this is not the coronavirus because there have been no reported cases of it on the Island, but I am beginning to suspect that it might be a mild version of it, whatever is reported. If it is, it's not a serious case. So far, it's not as bad as the flu I had a couple of years ago. I am a bit more isolated from Neil than usual, but we only have one kitchen and one utility room, so there is some cross-over. Clearly handwashing all the time and following other recommendations doesn't totally protect but we keep going with that. Em had something, DIL has something and now me - the "boys" (Neil, his brother and his 14 year old son) seem to be OK for now. I still have some meat in he freezer and some veg in the fridge. I will need eggs soon and some more bacon. Still have some frozen left-over meals and I will use them - however little I enjoy them. Most of my food today will be in the early part since I seem to feel worse as the day goes on so today's meals:

Breakfast - fried streaky bacon
Lunch - 2 lamb chops with butter fried cabbage (boxes of blanched cabbage in the freezer)
Dinner - no plans but we'll see. Maybe the broccoli cheese I might have made yesterday.

Keep as well as you can everyone. And keep staying safe.

Reactions: maglil55 and Chook