What have you eaten today? (Low carb forum)

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I do hope you feel better soon @Annb. It sounds a lot what I have been going through these past 3 weeks. Started with sneezing and a irritation in the throat. I then had the worst sore throat I'd ever had for 3 days solid and very chesty. No fever but loads of cold sweats to the extent I was soaked through. Hot, steamy showers and Vic was the only thing giving me relief. Lots of icy water and I had to force myself to eat. Aching limbs, nausea and dreadful fatigue. It was only this week I began feeling more human again and, as I've said in other posts, the smallest task would exhaust me. Like you, I always have something to do and not being able to went against the grain. Thankfully, my isolation stopped anyone else getting it. If it was a cold, it is the worst cold I've ever had.

many of those symptoms match with coronavirus, especially the fatigue. I sincerely hope you isolated yourself for the full 14 day period, to prevent risking passing it on. Without a test, we will never know, but then we should all be isolating at the first symptoms, no matter how mild.

It frustrates me that the media and even medical professionals are fixated on the fever and cough, while conveniently forgetting that many people get only one of those, and may show a whole range of other symptoms including sneezing, sore throat, snuffles and so on. It is related to the common cold, after all.

- and I am VERY glad you are feeling better!!!

Sorry, not ranting at you, Maglil. I am just getting frustrated with all the ‘I'm ill but it isn’t C-19’ comments I keep seeing.
Not been tested? Then you don’t know what it is. So ISOLATE COMPLETELY and save lives.

there. Saturday morning rant over! Lol

Reactions: maglil55

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
many of those symptoms match with coronavirus, especially the fatigue. I sincerely hope you isolated yourself for the full 14 day period, to prevent risking passing it on. Without a test, we will never know, but then we should all be isolating at the first symptoms, no matter how mild.

It frustrates me that the media and even medical professionals are fixated on the fever and cough, while conveniently forgetting that many people get only one of those, and may show a whole range of other symptoms including sneezing, sore throat, snuffles and so on. It is related to the common cold, after all.

Sorry, not ranting at you, Maglil. I am just getting frustrated with all the ‘I'm ill but it isn’t C-19’ comments I keep seeing.
Not been tested? Then you don’t know what it is. So ISOLATE COMPLETELY and save lives.

I have to say whilst it isn't nice to know I am deemed to need shielding it makes life very clear. Does make anytime I sneeze, feel a little chilly or warm a little more interesting than normal. On topic, TWAM and soon CWC + frothy AM and sf syrup so far.

Reactions: maglil55 and Chook

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@maglil55 really hope you’re turning the corner. Spoke to friend on phone yesterday who is a nurse and she and husband exact same symptons you describe. Bad sore throat, headaches, aching limbs, no energy. Neither cough or high temp but what she described as chills. They are on Day 5 and are assuming its Covid 19.
@Annb sorry to hear you’re feeling so bad, all you can do is rest, drinks lots and eat what you can. You dont need the stress of the kitchen/bathroom sharing, cant be easy.

Reactions: DJC3 and maglil55

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
Interesting... my neighbour was complaining of those same symptoms yesterday. She described the fatigue as 'crushing' and said she just wanted to go to bed and stay there forever. Sadly her other half can't even boil an egg so she's having to get up to feed him, wash his clothes, etc. Luckily we had at least two metres between us when we were talking and Mr C decided she looked so ill that he put her groceries (from my Asda order) outside her front door rather than get close enough to hand them over the fence.

I tried ordering plants yesterday - no luck - it seems there are restrictions on sending plants through the post at the moment. The selection the post office is selling is very limited and expensive.

Food...

Breakfast: usual omelette with carb free syrup : walnut and maple flavour this time

Lunch: Actimel and the last of the Dolce Gorgonzola :banghead:. I love that stuff.

Dinner: Vivera plant steak (surprisingly nice), a few bits of roast parsnips and carrots, cauliflower, Brussels sprouts, broccoli and gravy

Drinks: black decaff coffee, still water, red wine

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

Fear not, I isolated immediately plus DIL with her Veterinarian hospital experience is very precise with disinfecting requirements for me. Even now that I am 21 days past she insists I wear my respirator mask when out (I have my instructions for disinfecting on return and changing filters), latex gloves and Dettol wipes for trolleys, steering wheels etc. I think we're both ultra careful about hygiene since we had first hand experience of the treatment they are using for this. 4 years ago my son developed flu which went into pneumonia and sepsis. He had to be put into a medically induced coma for 10 days and was in ICU for 17 days. Bringing them out of the coma is not the most straightforward and despite being young and otherwise healthy it took him 3 months to fully recover. There were a couple of days that were touch and go and I feel for the people undergoing treatment currently as it is super stressful. Thankfully, his work put him onto home working this time about 2 weeks before lockdown as they were well aware he could be at risk.
As you say I'll probably never know whether I've had it or not but I was conscious of the fact I had a lot of the symptoms.

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Better add yesterday's food which was what I intended doing! Bed 5.8 FBG 5.5. I was in all day yesterday again and spend my time on short bursts so as not to exhaust myself. My body has not adjusted to not doing the school run and I still wake up at 6am daily (although this morning it was 6.28am - wow). Boys are staying in touch and enjoying the home schooling variety. I've dug out my Italian language books and CDs and have gone back to brushing up on my Italian. I even surprised myself at how much I could still remember.
B. TAG and 2 scrambled eggs, 4 rashers streaky bacon and 4 santini tomatoes.
L. Nothing.
D. I had the meat'zza I intended having Thursday but didn't! On Thursday I ended up with 4 strawberries with cream. Friday became the meat'zza with tomato and mozzarella and veggie chips. The butchers GF pork burgers make a mean meat'zza - really tasty.

@DJC3 - I thought your sale had completed? Next door neighbour called around (ringing bell then backing off required distance) just to ask if we needed anything. She did say it was just estate agent wanting to get the sign up but she was under no illusions house wouldn't sell for the foreseeable. @shelley262 - congratulations on your son's engagement and hugs for the stresses with your Mum & other son. It gas to he a worry.

Reactions: DJC3

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Still no chance of a delivery slot at Tesco - they only show the next 3 weeks and they are all taken. No 2 son now isolating with his family - DIL showing signs of some kind of virus but not sure what. He phoned to say there was a huge queue yesterday at Tesco - he had to go since there is no other way to get food for the family. Neil is intending to go to the shops soon, although he is not really all that well, but he says it is his normal health issues, not a virus. He slept a lot yesterday but that too is associated with a normal health problem he has. With no offers of help and no food deliveries, what is one to do? DIL's business has folded, sadly, but she is hoping to re-start when this is all over. At least second son is still getting sick pay.

I was frying some bacon and eggs for my breakfast and managed to burn my face (about 2" long, beside my eye and a few other spots around my eye - lucky I shut my eye in time) when butter and oil spat out of the pan (must have been some water somewhere), so that's adding to my discomfort at the moment. However, it's no more than discomfort, so I can't complain.

Breakfast, as you will realise, was bacon and egg. I have some smoked mackerel and will make a salad to go with that for lunch. I also have some broccoli in the fridge, so I'll make some broccoli cheese for dinner, if I can be bothered to cook by that time. If not, I still have some of the cold pork left.
@Annb - the supermarkets are going to prioritise slots for the "vulnerable" groups but not surprisingly there are issues with Scotland (and the other devolved assemblies although Wales seems to be sorted).
The procedure for those of you in England is to complete the form on this page and submit it.

https://www.gov.uk/coronavirus-extremely-vulnerable

Details of the registered people are apparently going to the supermarkets next week. I've noticed on the Sainsburys site it is set up to pick up if you are on this list.

This doesn't help us though @Annb. As far as I can gather Holyrood haven't identified us yet and there is no form available for us to register. What I have done is work my way through it and it seems they may have delegated it to the local authorities but there's another issue....there isn't contact details yet for some of them. Here's the link for the complete list anyway.

https://www.gov.scot/binaries/conte...ment/LA+Shielding+contact+info+-+28+March.pdf

If I see anything else I'll let you know.

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
@Annb - the supermarkets are going to prioritise slots for the "vulnerable" groups but not surprisingly there are issues with Scotland (and the other devolved assemblies although Wales seems to be sorted).
The procedure for those of you in England is to complete the form on this page and submit it.

https://www.gov.uk/coronavirus-extremely-vulnerable

Details of the registered people are apparently going to the supermarkets next week. I've noticed on the Sainsburys site it is set up to pick up if you are on this list.

This doesn't help us though @Annb. As far as I can gather Holyrood haven't identified us yet and there is no form available for us to register. What I have done is work my way through it and it seems they may have delegated it to the local authorities but there's another issue....there isn't contact details yet for some of them. Here's the link for the complete list anyway.

https://www.gov.scot/binaries/content/documents/govscot/publications/advice-and-guidance/2020/03/coronavirus-covid-19-shielding/documents/local-authority-shielding-contact-info/local-authority-shielding-contact-info/govscot:document/LA+Shielding+contact+info+-+28+March.pdf

If I see anything else I'll let you know.

Thanks for that @maglil55. Our council is on the list and I have followed the link through. It seems my best option is to e-mail them and ask them to let me know how to proceed. Watch this space.

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi all. Breakfast: TWAM+S : Dockey: CWC & h/m almond milk + SF caramel syrup; L: Piece of cheddar: Aft: Tea; Meal: Corned beef + avocado salad + seeds; Rhubarb Greek yogurt - Kri Kri 10% best Greek yogurt I’ve had. Julie has some symptoms so trying to isolate completely from each other - not as easy as it sounds. Google Duo key resource. We are miles apart on waking times, bedtimes and eating times so not too bad there. @maglil55 and @Annb registering on Gov website is easy but deliveries not so much. Websites won't accept new registrations - only Julie is registered on most - she's not shielded so no prioritisation. I'm on a (steep) learning curve for all the new kitchen appliances - hob is like the krypton factor and combi microwave may not happen. I know where the book is for the other oven. Symptoms beat my lessons. Not a problem really as I eat mostly salad, Julie can cook at the moment. Takeaways are open as USAF still operating if she can't. Frankly, food choices aren't a biggy here and now.

Last edited:

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi all. Breakfast: TWAM+S : Dockey: CWC & h/m almond milk + SF caramel syrup; L: Piece of cheddar: Aft: Tea; Meal: Corned beef and avocado salad with chia and flaxseeds; Stewed rhubarb and Kiri, Kiri 10% Greel yogurt - best Greek yogurt I’ve had. Julie has some symptoms so we are trying to isolate completely from each other - not as easy as it sounds initially. Google duo now a key resource to arrange schedules. Fortunately we are miles apart in waking times, bedtimes, when we want to eat and usually TV choices. @maglil55 and @Annb registering is easy but deliveries not so much. Most if not all websites won't accept new registrations and only Julie is registered on most - she is not vulnerable so no prioritisation. I'm also on a (steep) learning curve for all the new kitchen appliances - hob is like the krypton factor and combi microwave just won't happen. The other oven has presets so may need to eat things I'd rater not just because they are built in. Symptoms beat my lessons. May not be a problem as I eat mostly salad and I think some takeaways are open for Julie. Frankly, food choices aren't a biggy here and now.

I have been registered with Tesco for years but haven't used their delivery service for the last 18 months because Neil did my shopping for me, or took me to the supermarket. Being registered doesn't help get a delivery slot. Tesco site still says you can register as at risk and isolating, but you can't. The delivery box isn't there because there are no delivery slots (presumably). We shall see what, if anything, our council says.

Hope you manage to figure out how to use your new kitchen. It would be a nightmare to me - I'm just old fashioned and use old fashioned appliances mostly. I do have a microwave, an air-fryer and a bread maker. Don't use them much though.

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Evening all. Very behind with this thread.

Glad you’re feeling a bit better @maglil55 and sorry to hear you’re unwell @Annb

@ianpspurs I have Morrison’s due on Tuesday evening. First order with them 3 weeks ago was perfect - nothing missing and no substitutes, but you have me worried now! Waking up at silly o’clock helps avoid the waiting to get onto the website.

On to food. Today was breakfast of almond butter and cream and dinner of 2 small burgers and 2 Waitrose free range Cumberland sausages followed by 1 deliciously guilt free double chocolate brownie, 1 of their millionaires shortbread biscuits and a blob of extra thick double cream. DGF delivery arrived today - most has gone in the freezer.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Evenin’ All,

B: just a small lc hot choc
L: home made crackling from the pulled pork I made this afternoon
D: will be a lamb shish kebab

Mr B is struggling a little with the Lockdown.
I think the problem is because he is out working every day, and out dog walking every day, life feels normal. He is finding it difficult to flip a switch into full lockdown the rest of the time. He is used to just ‘popping out’ as the whim takes him. He got as far as putting his coat on once, before I reminded him. He was shocked by his own forgetfulness.

I, on the other hand, haven’t set foot over the threshold since Sunday, because my knee decided to flare up.
So I am therefore unable to wander - and am ok with that, because I have no alternative.
Weird what a difference perspective makes.

Reactions: maglil55 and DJC3

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Evening all. Hugs to you @Annb and also @Brunneria for knee flare up.
So glad you’re finally feeling a bit better @maglil55 our house hadn’t completed, not sure what’ll happen now. I’ll ring the council Monday to see if I can stop paying the council tax there, but as there is still a bed I expect they’ll say no, as it is habitable - and we can’t now go up and clear it out completely ( we’d intended to do that in April) I think we may have a year of still paying bills up there and maybe putting back on the market at a reduced price again! May as well give the bloomin’ thing away. Ah well, no point stressing as there’s nothing to be done.
Hope all the online deliveries go well. Daughter’s partner was allowed out today so got our essentials in. She said it’s a different world out there now.
@ianpspurs good luck with all the kitchen equipment, I still need the manuals to set the time on the cooker/ microwave etc after power cuts. Hope Julie’s symptoms turn out to be nothing.
Today is the first day I’ve felt a bit stir crazy and consequently eaten too much.
Black coffee and TWAM until 11:00
Cheese omelette and salad.
Mid aft: packet of Cheesies
Bit later a bar (30g) Montezuma’s Absolte black. I think there was some pecan nuts somewhere along the line too.
Dinner Butter chicken and cabbage then strawberries and cream.
Expecting BGs to creep up gradually if this carries on.

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Black coffee and TWAM this morning
Lunch: salad of leaves ( a bit wilted now) avocado tuna mayo and h/b egg. Sf jelly and cream afterwards.
Dinner https://www.dietdoctor.com/recipes/keto-pork-chops-cabbage-casserole this was a great success and enjoyed by everyone. Even Mr C who didn’t spot that I’d made the cabbage ‘casserole’ with shredded sprouts instead of cabbage.
Dog food arrived here too @Brunneria I was starting to get a bit worried as I’d ordered over 2 weeks ago.
I've made that dish as well. The cabbage casserole was surprising. The sprout substitute was a good idea. My son always referred to them as "shrunken cabbages". I felt sorrow for your poor fisherman. His kind deed offer really went horribly wrong.

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi all. Breakfast: TWAM+S : Dockey: CWC & h/m almond milk + SF caramel syrup; L: Piece of cheddar: Aft: Tea; Meal: Corned beef + avocado salad + seeds; Rhubarb Greek yogurt - Kri Kri 10% best Greek yogurt I’ve had. Julie has some symptoms so trying to isolate completely from each other - not as easy as it sounds. Google Duo key resource. We are miles apart on waking times, bedtimes and eating times so not too bad there. @maglil55 and @Annb registering on Gov website is easy but deliveries not so much. Websites won't accept new registrations - only Julie is registered on most - she's not shielded so no prioritisation. I'm on a (steep) learning curve for all the new kitchen appliances - hob is like the krypton factor and combi microwave may not happen. I know where the book is for the other oven. Symptoms beat my lessons. Not a problem really as I eat mostly salad, Julie can cook at the moment. Takeaways are open as USAF still operating if she can't. Frankly, food choices aren't a biggy here and now.
Sorry the Morrisons delivery was not as problem free as mine. That is a bit of an issue with Julie being the registered account holder on the sites but you should be able to get around it as her being a "carer" for a shielded person. If she is registered with Sainsburys, I know that they are saying to call their Customer Care line to explain the circumstances and get onto the list so you can get slots. The number they gave me is 0800 328 1700. They have warned it takes time to get through as they've had as many calls in the last 2 weeks as they've had in 1 year! They are saying to keep trying. The line is open from 8am - 11.30am Monday to Saturday.

Last edited:

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Evening all. Very behind with this thread.

Glad you’re feeling a bit better @maglil55 and sorry to hear you’re unwell @Annb

@ianpspurs I have Morrison’s due on Tuesday evening. First order with them 3 weeks ago was perfect - nothing missing and no substitutes, but you have me worried now! Waking up at silly o’clock helps avoid the waiting to get onto the website.

On to food. Today was breakfast of almond butter and cream and dinner of 2 small burgers and 2 Waitrose free range Cumberland sausages followed by 1 deliciously guilt free double chocolate brownie, 1 of their millionaires shortbread biscuits and a blob of extra thick double cream. DGF delivery arrived today - most has gone in the freezer.
Mine is being sent out on Monday.

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Sorry the Morrisons delivery was not as problem free as mine. That is a bit of an issue with Julie being the registered account holder on the sites but you should be able to get around it as her being a "carer" for a shielded person. If she is registered with Sainsburys, I know that they are saying to call their Customer Care line to explain the circumstances and get onto the list so you can get slots. The number they gave me is 0800 328 2700. They have warned it takes time to get through as they've had as many calls in the last 2 weeks as they've had in 1 year! They are saying to keep trying. The line is open from 8am - 11.30am Monday to Saturday.
Lines are indeed open - just put on hold then cut off. We have a Tesco order of some sort tomorrow then we'll see what happens with the database link.

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I've made that dish as well. The cabbage casserole was surprising. The sprout substitute was a good idea. My son always referred to them as "shrunken cabbages". I felt sorrow for your poor fisherman. His kind deed offer really went horribly wrong.

It’s really good isn’t it - the cabbage/sprout casserole? The name has put me off making it for a long while.
I know! poor fisherman, he must think the world is against him. I will definitely get a weekly fish box from him if he does manage to get back up and running/ sailing.

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@Chook - I did eventually get to No 1 on the list believe it or not. @DJC3 - she's correct it is a very different world out there. I didn't intend to go out but there was an emergency need with a neighbour (cancer patient) so I got gloved up, disinfecting wipes, mask disinfected - new filter and off I went. It's just very surreal.
B. TAG then fried egg, 4 rashers streaky bacon, 4 santini tomatoes.
L. 2 bits G&B mint (it was looking at me).
D. A Gino D'Acampo mussels, chilli and tomato dish from Iceland that I had in the freezer. Put some cauli rice through it.

Sinuses feel a bit stuffy tonight so I think another steamy shower is called for but only after Rocketman - just settling down to watch it.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Breakfast: my usual low carb coconut ‘porridge’ with strawberries and cream washed down with a black coffee.
Late morning: black coffee with birthday cake phd bar.
Late Lunch: 2 x Babybels followed by Greek yoghurt, coffee chia pudding and LC chocolate granola.
Dinner: left overs of yesterday’s cold chicken tikka with coleslaw, salad and pork scratchings followed by SF jelly, cream and berry and almond paleo granola.

Reactions: maglil55 and Chook