What was your fasting blood glucose? (full on chat)

Debandez

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Good morning everyone from the new sunshine capital of the universe, the dark and dangerous north. We have had so much sunshine over the past couple of weeks that lots of locals are not venturing outside in case they melt.

The wonder wheel of slow roasted breast of lamb and the cry of “mint sauce” came in at 4.7 this am

Periformis flared up yesterday because I had managed to ignore it for nearly a week and it got all mardy. Still, gave me the excuse to lay on the sofa and dig into a new book; Eleanor Oliphant is Completely Fine by Gail Honeyman - so far, so good. Essentially about loneliness and the power of a bit of kindness.

Going to climb a mountain today, from the comfort of my own home. Not sure which one yet as I have yet to have my morning koffy. Here is a list of options if you fancy giving it a go.

Have as good a day as you can - that koffy call is getting strong

View attachment 39920
Is there a link to these virtual climbs? Great idea. I still think I would fall off!!!

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Good morning pop pickers from a very lazy start to the day in the dark and dangerous north.

The wonder wheel of not getting up until cockerel was already in the pot came in at a star spangled 5.0 this am

It’s my sisters birthday today - the big six oh! She is already pottering about in her kitchen singing “my birthday in lockdown” to the tune of “Walking in Memphis”. My Niece moved back in from Bordeaux two weeks ago so they are all enjoying being in hose arrest by the Gendarmerie together. Although my brother in law was a Gendarme - his get out of jail free card seems to have expired. Never mind, we are all linking up this evening for dinner. I must brush off my DJ and bull my George boots. Alternatively, it may be a Hawaiian, borrow a bottle of suntan oil from David Dickinson and appear as Pumpkin Charlie.

Enough, the day is slipping and I cannot Carp the diem or even the noctem at this rate - koffy calls.
Have as good a day as you can - what’s the word on the street today @jjraak ?

Does your late and lazy start to the day mean you chickened out of Joe Wicks fancy dress PE today? Shame! I was wondering what you’d dressed up as.
The only outfit I have is a dragon onesie I wore to watch the last episode of Game of Thrones but that was far too hot to contemplate Spider-Man lunges in. Actually my usual PE outfit is so uncool it probably counts as fancy dress anyway.
Enjoy your family link up this evening. Same for me yesterday. Granddaughters even lit some candles and blew them out for me as I didn’t have any.

Reactions: geefull

Muddy Cyclist

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@OldButBold, new name perhaps Rocketman? Sorry not funny, hugs for all you are going through with virus.

Just been Tesco shopping, not sure about this wearing mask business. Either all of us or non of us, I noticed that more are wearing them and those with seem more reckless, less polite as though they have suddenly become invincible.

Took ages to wipe down all the shopping, wash clothes and shower, clean car bits touched and door handles of house and fridges.

Coffee calls!

Debandez

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Newly diagnosed t2. So fairly obsessive about checking bG and diet and exercise. I’m not overweight, I walk dog a few miles most days, have always eaten med. so I was shocked when the nurse told me. No one told me I was prediabetic two years ago. Grr

Can’t take metformin. Would like to know good apps and carb counters etc.

Yesterday I found a little miracle cure for morning high bG. I got up and ran up the drive 10 times. .5 mile. My neighbors thought it was great fun. Then I had a breakfast of chia seeds and banana and half a cup of whole milk and big cup of coffee and the numbers went from 10 to 7. I’d say that’s a win.

Today I woke up at 13 bG, did the run AFTER the chia seed breakfast and the numbers only came down to 11.2. So get heart pumping before eating seems to be the way to go.

Anyone have any ideas?

Hello and welcome to the forum.

You found the best thread quickly ;-)

You will find this helpful.

https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/basic-information-for-newly-diagnosed-diabetics.26870/

Testing is so important. I've linked a guide for you. Keep a food diary. We are all different and what suits one may not suit another.

For me cutting put bread, pasta, rice, potatoes and most fruit apart from berries brought my blood sugars down quickly and hba1c from 62 to 36 in a short space of time. About 30g carbs a day give or take a few, i don't really count just guesstimate. I swapped rice for cauliflower rice, pasta for green veg, potatoes for celeriac, low carb bread recipes available. For your favourite recipes, just Google them and put low carb in the search.

Watch videos on YouTube from Dr Jason Fung, Dr David Unwin, Dr David Cavan, Dr Sarah Hallberg.

Book the diabetes code Jason Fung is brilliant.

Diet doctor and ditch the cards websites are amazing.

Low carb healthy fats works so well for many diabetics.

Hope this helps.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20190817-191706_Drive.jpg
    Screenshot_20190817-191706_Drive.jpg
    962.1 KB · Views: 99
Last edited:

Debandez

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
5.8 which isn't bad considering we had an Indian take away. I had cauliflower rice with mine. Garlic and chilli chicken jalfrezi. Red wine. Peanuts. And a Zoom app get together with 9 other households from all over the world, all in lockdown. Furthest away was Australia (6am start for them 8pm for us after the clapping for NHS).
Everyone came through loud and clear. We had a great laugh, a few drinks, a quiz in between and a good time was had by all. Logged off at 11pm. My daughter sorted it all. Amazing achievement in times of adversity especially with a 3 year and a 3 month old. So proud.

Trying to work on my new Samsung 20. Challenging. Not everything has transferred over which is frustrating so going to spend all day trying to sort (no doubt!).

Reactions: karen8967

Muddy Cyclist

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
And a Zoom app get together with 9 other households
Fascinated. Maybe you and @OldButBold if he says up to it poor soul, can throw some light on where I have gone wrong. Tried Zoom for folk band and Recorder Quartet but limited to 40mins. However you mentioned 8ish to 11 did you pay? Must look again. Sounds like you had a great time.

@jjraak word for today?

Debandez

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Fascinated. Maybe you and @OldButBold if he says up to it poor soul, can throw some light on where I have gone wrong. Tried Zoom for folk band and Recorder Quartet but limited to 40mins. However you mentioned 8ish to 11 did you pay? Must look again. Sounds like you had a great time.

@jjraak word for today?
Apparently payment required over 40 mins but daughter wouldn't say how much ;-)

Debandez

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Newly diagnosed t2. So fairly obsessive about checking bG and diet and exercise. I’m not overweight, I walk dog a few miles most days, have always eaten med. so I was shocked when the nurse told me. No one told me I was prediabetic two years ago. Grr

Can’t take metformin. Would like to know good apps and carb counters etc.

Yesterday I found a little miracle cure for morning high bG. I got up and ran up the drive 10 times. .5 mile. My neighbors thought it was great fun. Then I had a breakfast of chia seeds and banana and half a cup of whole milk and big cup of coffee and the numbers went from 10 to 7. I’d say that’s a win.

Today I woke up at 13 bG, did the run AFTER the chia seed breakfast and the numbers only came down to 11.2. So get heart pumping before eating seems to be the way to go.

Anyone have any ideas?
Dawn phenomenon is more of an issue usually when 1st diagnosed. Your blood sugars will gradually come down in the morning. When mine are up a little I have a zero carb breakfast like eggs of some sort (cheese omelette for example). Or continental without the bread. Ham and cheese for example. So that way my blood sugars don't go much higher. If they start high and you have something carby like a banana your blood sugars would go much higher (well for most diabetics anyway).

The attached is a graph from my libre sensor. 2 slices of wholemeal bread at @ 9.30 then a banana at @ 12.15 . I was experimenting. Got quite a shock.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200303-094610_LibreLink.jpg
    Screenshot_20200303-094610_LibreLink.jpg
    294.5 KB · Views: 74
Last edited:

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Temp 36.5
fbg 6.7

why..still furious.

Missus went to get her meds..wary as she saw builder enter our building on return.

to placate her i went downstairs to lead her up.
shared space stairway.

low and behold as we approach neighbours doorway. builder attempts to exit.
i tell him to wait, and we pass,
he still steps out before we really move a good distance from him,
he carries on try to close the space with us, as i ascend the stairs, at which point he is TOLD
in no uncertain terms to BTF up..

he does, and it's maybe the little shake of his head,
the mask hanging around his neck,,
the fact he is now sharing the doorway with the poor new neighbour.
barely a foot away from her, maybe less.

who knows but the trip switch, already on a hair trigger goes off.

so he got the full volley
how dare he ..people like him...aaghhh the full monty.

i doubt he's happy, but he's lucky it was just his feelings that got hurt

Calmed Lauren down, she now on phone to Gf berating the builders etc.

Made call to complain.
poor receptionist wasn't taking it too seriously until i enquired if they
were classified as essential works,
who and what was their operating protocol regarding H&S during this crisis,
took name number, expecting a call back soon.

Otherwise, it's a little social rant on twitter, etc about why a "living space" ? company is allowing their workers to carry on working without due care to those they work with and around.

Patriotic rallying cry to us all to SAVE the NHS workers.

BUT it seems some are not getting the message,
and deliberately or accidentally, doesn't matter,
THEY are still spreading the virus far and wide to make a Dollar.

so off to read the others posts.
hope all have a good day.

Last edited:
Reactions: karen8967

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have a large hula hoop in my garage.
A thought...
All I need to do is get a full short skirt of mine, and sew the hula hoop round the hem...
What do you think...
I would you know....

would only work if others did it also.

BUT do think it should be COMPULSORY for all the "ESSENTIAL WORKERS :rolleyes: "
Making a mockery of the NHS staff and all those staying home, as they wander the land infecting as many as possible as they go.

Preferably like the dog cones, right across and up their necks.
so they can still work, if its really '"ESSENTIAL :rolleyes:"
but can't splutter their poison across the land.

dunelm

Master
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Does your late and lazy start to the day mean you chickened out of Joe Wicks fancy dress PE today? Shame! I was wondering what you’d dressed up as.
The only outfit I have is a dragon onesie I wore to watch the last episode of Game of Thrones but that was far too hot to contemplate Spider-Man lunges in. Actually my usual PE outfit is so uncool it probably counts as fancy dress anyway.
Enjoy your family link up this evening. Same for me yesterday. Granddaughters even lit some candles and blew them out for me as I didn’t have any.
Today is a weights day so will be doing the Joe Wicks tomorrow.

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
He is still frail @SaskiaKC but he is eating a little, and visits his cat tray in the bathroom when I visit the WC, and we both have a companionable wee. It feels very strange to have company in the bathroom.

Then he returns to my bed. He is not moving off that at the moment. My bed has always been a 100% safe space.

Thank you for asking.

aw, genn..that so reminds me of our belles.
anytime i sat on the loo, she'd come in do the guarding thing at my feet, and occasionally join me in a toilet break.
be using her Litter tray at the same time ....amazed she didn't keel over judging by the toxic odour her no 2's wafted towards me..:***::meh::mask:

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Today is a weights day so will be doing the Joe Wicks tomorrow.
In fancy dress? He did the whole thing in full Spiderman costume today including face mask. He also ramped it up a bit with 35/25 second activity/ rest bursts. We will be so fit by the end of this ( she says hopefully)

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I could never get away with group skipping no coordination at all, think I would have probably been diagnosed with dyspraxia if I were young today. Found my way through it though as I didn't mind turning turn the skipping rope so in great demand.

what do they say..
when life gives you lemons
make lemonade..

great outlook on life.
like.

Reactions: Debandez

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Seeing the funny side of all this is what keeps me going, well, that and the diarrhoea :)

Over sharing alert. "CRITICAL"....:wideyed:

:D:hilarious:

they do say it's all good, the point of imminent descent into death is when the humour goes.

think you got many more miles in that tank of yours..

we don't just laugh in the face of adversity,
we chuckle our T!ts off..Stuff you Covid flu.:D

Reactions: Ryhia