urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to eat as many chocolate digestives as I used to.
Can't begin in here to say how that makes me feel ..so how must people like your wife and their families feel about all this.

Awful situation.
My best wishes to you and your family.
May you all stay safe and well.

They are all frightened by it, quite understandably, but there's not much that can be done. Basically resigned to the fact that it's more a case of 'when' we get the virus rather than 'if'.

Agency staff have been cancelled which means that all shifts are understaffed. But that's better than having strangers coming and going wirh the present situation.

The manager was told that the hospital would provide appropriate PPE to care homes in the area but nothing has arrived yet.

Always look on the bright side eh? I'll let you know if I find it.

Winnie53

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@jjraak, that article was an interesting read.

It was privately disclosed and confirmed more than a week ago by a number of nurses working in Seattle area hospitals that ventilators will not be provided for those age 65 or older. This was very hard for me to read. My husband is in his late 60's. He's in good health, still working, and has another good 20 to 30 years of living left. This is why we're so aggressively chasing down protocols on how to avoid hospitalization.

jane1950

I imagine that you would be hospitalised only if your coronavirus symptoms warranted it, whether you have diabetes or not.
I feel that I would be hospitalised, as my HbA1C levels are usually higher than normal, and quite a few of my tests are higher, but hoping what all our family had last November could have been this virus, if that wasnt what we had at the beginning of March, and just before uk lockdown , we just need the antibody tests

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@jjraak, that article was an interesting read.

It was privately disclosed and confirmed more than a week ago by a number of nurses working in Seattle area hospitals that ventilators will not be provided for those age 65 or older.

This was very hard for me to read.
My husband is in his late 60's.

He's in good health, still working, and has another good 20 to 30 years of living left.

This is why we're so aggressively chasing down protocols on how to avoid hospitalization.

Gave an agree @Winnie53 , as that is my primary goal here for myself.
and by dint for those without the time or inclination to look as hard at the data as you obviously do.
but do take a HUG for the worry, ( two votes if we can mods, please )

the truth as unpalatable as it is
is the RULES have changed.

deny away, bury that head, people, but it's true.
the sooner we face that the sooner we all protect ourselves a little bit better.

yesterday we got sick called an ambulance it came and we moved heaven and earth to treat you,
if that failed families gathered and had that moment that helped them and a loved one meet the end together.

That no longer exists.
the sick mostly go to hospital, they may recover.
but if it goes end game, they die alone.
and we who are left behind struggle to find closure.

My niece had a close uncle pass away Sunday night .
very ill, ventilator needed for younger patient.
put in side ward ..family informed.
passed away that night.

Our poor exhausted NHS and HCW's ...EU and US, are now making life and death decisions on a daily basis.
no where is immune paris. milan, madrid, London, New York

and these doctors and nurses.. and some are kids to me, are writing last wills and testaments..aged 30 ***

we no longer move heaven and earth to save YOU whoever you are,
we may not even send an ambulance.
advice is to stay home.

We ARE On our own...

let that sink in...we are on our own.

some will cry... some will deny, ...but that is the truth for the moment.

YOU decide how much risk you now take,

mix and mingle..get sick will you get help..?

depends ... on age, city, current hospital capacity, etc.etc

so stay as well as possible, as safe as possible, for as long as possible...IS the new order of the day.

Sorry to hear of your concerns for husband.

Like to think that a jogging, tennis playing, loud raucous husband might get a chance..,
not me though reasonably healthy, i like to think

but when ill and real poorly, grey and gasping for breathe, is that who they'll see on the stretcher /gurney ?

Hawkeye coming down the line with trapper john and hotlips, you got a shot.

but frank burns ...and
it's just age, rank, location..NEXT

when the odds go against us, the best we can do is NOT be in that arena in the first place
and if we do....
be the best 'YOU' in that arena you can be.

take care @Winnie53
always a pleasure to read your posts
i hope to be doing that for many a year to come.

Last edited:
Reactions: Robinredbreast
D

Deleted member 308541

deny away, bury that head, people, but it's true.
the sooner we face that the sooner we all protect ourselves a little bit better.
Just to put a bit of a smile in our present life...

corona-FF.jpg

Winnie53

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
jjraak, thanks for the kind words. It's not pleasant being in that place where you see a problem with the health care system that most do not want to consider or acknowledge - (I'm referring to the system, not the caring, compassionate, dedicated health care providers who are putting their lives on the line for us every day right now).

I honestly don't know how I'd push through this without the information and support I receive here daily. I'm hoping to have more useful information to share soon. In then meantime, lets all try to maintain balance by both staying up on all the emerging developments while at the same time maintaining all our self-care routines and getting some down time in here and there along the way...

D

Deleted member 308541

I honestly don't know how I'd push through this without the information and support I receive here daily.
We watched the SBS world News here last night and Trump was mumbling something about Covid 19 he went around in circles with his usual pat me on the back platitudes and basically said nothing useful. My partner said "what did he just say", me "I dunno, something about him being right about covid and every one else is a fool I think."

So you would be probably be better off getting your info else where than the garbage that comes out of the White House's twitter room and mouth.

Edit: Forgot a bit...

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Speedbird

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Reactions: urbanracer
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
I think at one point he said.
"Pandemic...pandemic ..no one wants a pandemic".....:hilarious::hilarious::hilarious:

I was expecting John cleese to clip clop across the stage behind him ..:hilarious:

I keep picturing John Cleese (Basil Fawlty) holding Trumps hand like he did with Manuel in Fawlty Towers, Manuel's gait was like a monkey.................say no more lol

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I think at one point he said.
"Pandemic...pandemic ..no one wants a pandemic".....:hilarious::hilarious::hilarious:

I was expecting John cleese to clip clop across the stage behind him ..:hilarious:
There seems to be an applicable Monty python reference for most situations

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to eat as many chocolate digestives as I used to.
Has anyone noticed that Sweden is not going into lockdown? They seem to be doing what our government was proposing at the start and letting the virus take it's course. Should be interesting!

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Although to be fair most UK deaths have been since 20th March so haven't yet appeared in these figures.

What is far more surprising is that the Europe wide figures show lower than usual deaths so far this year

https://www.euromomo.eu

View attachment 40011

Personally, I'm not making any judgement on it, except to act as a reminder to me that whilst the numbers of people dying having tested positive for COVID-19, is shocking and unsettling, they remain a very small percentage of the usual numbers of deaths happening around us very day, in the circle of life.

I am not trivialising COVID, or brushing aside anyone's concerns or diagnosis, and I'm not considering holding any parties or meetings any time soon, just urging people to make space in their lives to get busy living, or we'll find ourselves getting busy dying.

"Get busy living or get busy dying" - Shawshank Redemption - 1994

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I think I will wait until the final figures are out after the pandemic is over. Any conclusions before that are speculative.

At the moment, we need to bear in mind that people are usually not hospitalised until a week after the symptoms start, then spend up to 20 days on a respirator, before dying (or recovering, but I’m talking about deaths).

so we would need to wait something like 3-4 weeks after the infection rates surge before we know what the numbers look like, and then wait 3-4 weeks after the infection rates decline, before seeing what how the numbers totals look like.

At the start of the NY ‘surge’ they were claiming a mortality rate of 0.3%they were very chuffed about it.

now? NY deaths are climbing shockingly - 1.8% a couple of days ago, and rising fast. Speculation from different sources go up to 3 x that fig, once the final numbers arrive.

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
and as a simple counterpoint.

would it be people are taking much more care of their health
so people taking fewer risks.

the simple things that passed from one to another to result in deaths
cold flu etc, are now lower as we all scrub our hands to pieces every time we touch something

fewer accidents at or on way top work as we have so many staying at home voluntarily or as part of the lock down.
and way fewer RTA's as less car less peds, less accidents.

all mounts up to help the NHS cope with the influx of those who, covid brings to hospital,
in whatever form yet who die of Pneumonia and lack of preparedness for a crisis, clearly indicated since january

https://twitter.com/brexit_sham/status/1245801302401126400?s=09