COVID 2019 Comorbidity with Diabetes

jane1950

You asked this question earlier which shows you are worried about what would happen if you caught the virus.

Yet later in the thread you talk about going out for 2 walks.

Both posts are fine in isolation, they show valid arguments, but they don't go together.

Why double your risk of catching the virus? Trust me it really isn't a pleasant experience and 35 days on I can still not walk more than 100 metres a day.
one walk is only 15 minutes, the other walk I also use for something legal, but I take my son, he goes to buy my essentials, and I wait by the canal

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Well, I now have my reason to be glad to have been instructed not to go out at all for 12 weeks.
People happy to bend the rules and increase risk of transmitting a virus that could finish me off are out there!

Reactions: urbanracer

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
one walk is only 15 minutes, the other walk I also use for something legal, but I take my son, he goes to buy my essentials, and I wait by the canal
Your story keeps changing.

As I am now in isolation, 99% certain I have the coronavirus, I will leave you to your conscience. You have no good reason to be out of your car on the shopping trip, or whatever your second trip is for.

jane1950

Your story keeps changing.

As I am now in isolation, 99% certain I have the coronavirus, I will leave you to your conscience. You have no good reason to be out of your car on the shopping trip, or whatever your second trip is for.
I dont take a car, I have to walk to the shops, so I stop by the canal, so I dont walk as far, and my son continues to the shops and meets me back at the canal to walk home

copilost

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
People's situations vary, it's difficult to make rules that are reasonable for everyone.
It's true, my circumstances might mean that what I do is "fine" but that's not the point though. For once in all, this is the time to be an example of the best, don't do anything that challenges the advice, keep it simple, do 'the job'. Lead by example. Where did that go? I'm educated, privileged and not very important, I stay at home. On a small micro social level makes probably very little difference but collectively it matters. My responsibility is to all. My behaviour counts.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
It's true, my circumstances might mean that what I do is "fine" but that's not the point though. For once in all, this is the time to be an example of the best, don't do anything that challenges the advice, keep it simple, do 'the job'. Lead by example. Where did that go? I'm educated, privileged and not very important, I stay at home. On a small micro social level makes probably very little difference but collectively it matters. My responsibility is to all. My behaviour counts.

Yup.

there’s a line that sums it up...
what is it...?
tip of my tongue...
oh yeah, remember it now:

Stay home. Protect the NHS. Save Lives.

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
That’s OK as long as those in self-isolation at Balmoral say with its 50,000 acres, take into account the different circumstances of someone with children in a bedsit.

copilost

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
That’s OK as long as those in self-isolation at Balmoral at say with its 50,000 acres, take into account the different circumstances of someone with children in a bedsit.
you know what I'm not going to take lessons from balmoral in true social responsibility! sheesh! I get it, i do, rules from the entitled and the privileged should be treated with caution. But I am privileged and I do have a responsibility, I can assess where I am in all this. so can everyone else.

Reactions: Brunneria and zand

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Well, we now have our Prime Minister in intensive care. I am so sorry for him and worried for the rest of us.

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I can assess where I am in all this. so can everyone else.

Sadly not all the general public have the capacity to establish if their actions impact others and only consider their own bubble. Different locations will have different implications. The same actions in one place could very easily be selfish and reckless whilst in another perfectly reasonable and legal.

The law does not say once or one form or anything like that. http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/2020/7/contents/enacted/data.htm. Perhaps if they wanted that wording they should have added it like Wales did.

I am only going out once a day and am not trying to justify anything. Just stating facts.

copilost

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Perhaps if they wanted that wording they should have added it like Wales did.
Agreed it would have been helpful to be very clear in instructions, admitting it was not subtle but did the job, we could understand that.

longtime

Type of diabetes
Type 1
If a diabetic is admitted to hospital, is their diabetes managed? Wouldn't blood glucose levels rise and rise without management?

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
If a diabetic is admitted to hospital, is their diabetes managed? Wouldn't blood glucose levels rise and rise without management?
A few on the forum who have had the virus have reported stable, good BGs so managing them has been easier. It's a weird virus that doesn't seem to behave like others as far as BGs are concerned, but that is based on the reports of just a handful of people here.

Winnie53

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Important...

The Marik's COVID-19 Protocol was updated on April 3rd...

https://isom.ca/wp-content/uploads/2020/04/EVMS_Critical_Care_COVID-19_Protocol-04.06.2020.pdf

It's written for physicians (and now includes graphics), but here's an excerpt relevant to those of us here...

Prophylaxis

While there is very limited data (and none specific for COVID-19), the following “cocktail” may have a role in the prevention/mitigation of COVID-19 disease, especially amongst the most vulnerable citizens in our community; i.e. those over the age of 60 years and those with medical comorbidities. While there is no high level evidence that this cocktail is effective; it is cheap, safe and should be readily available. So what is there to lose?
• Vitamin C 500 mg BID and Quercetin 250-500 mg BID
• Zinc 75-100 mg/day (acetate, gluconate or picolinate). Zinc lozenges are preferred. After 1-2 months, reduce the dose to 30-50 mg/day.
• Melatonin (slow release): Begin with 0.3mg and increase as tolerated to 1-2 mg at night
• Vitamin D3 1000-4000 u/day (optimal dose unknown). Likely that those with baseline low 25- OH vitamin D levels and those > living at 40 degree latitude will benefit the most.

Mildly Symptomatic patients (on floor):

• Vitamin C 500mg BID and Quercetin 250-500 mg BID (if available)
• Zinc 75-100 mg/day
• Melatonin 6-12 mg at night (the optimal dose is unknown)
• Vitamin D3 1000-4000 u/day
• Enoxaparin 40-60mg day (if not contraindicated; dose adjust with CrCl < 30ml/min)
• Optional (and if available): Chloroquine 500 mg PO BID for 5 days or hydroxychloroquine 400mg BID day 1 followed by 200mg BID for 4 days
• Observe closely
• N/C 2L /min if required (max 4 L/min; consider early t/f to ICU for escalation of care).
• Avoid Nebulization and Respiratory treatments. Use “Spinhaler” or MDI and spacer if required.
• Avoid non-invasive ventilation
• T/f EARLY to the ICU for increasing respiratory signs/symptoms

-----

@jjraak @Indy51 And here's one more protocol that I learned about tonight. This will be of interest to those of you who are at "high risk"...

Dr. Vladimir Zelenko is a primary care doctor in the US. He practices in area one square mile in size with a population of 35,000. He himself is a cancer patient. He wanted to get ahead of the coronovirus so looked at the protocols used in S. Korea and France. With that information, he has treated 911 patients with a positive test result for COVID-19 or symptoms - (fever. cough, diarrhea, loss of taste or smell, etc.). He has one treatment approach for high risk patients, another for low risk patients. Outcomes to date: 0 deaths, 3 patients intubated - (2 still on, 1 off respirator), 6 patients admitted w/bacterial pneumonia for IV antibiotics - (2 now at home). He's using hydoxycholroquine, azithromycin, and zinc sulfate, all oral medications. Protocol is listed in video. Treatment goal is to avoid hospitalization. My kind of doctor...

Reactions: jjraak

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to eat as many chocolate digestives as I used to.
Dr. Vladimir Zelenko is a primary care doctor in the US. He practices in area one square mile in size with a population of 35,000. He himself is a cancer patient. He wanted to get ahead of the coronovirus so looked at the protocols used in S. Korea and France. With that information, he has treated 911 patients with a positive test result for COVID-19 or symptoms - (fever. cough, diarrhea, loss of taste or smell, etc.). He has one treatment approach for high risk patients, another for low risk patients. Outcomes to date: 0 deaths, 3 patients intubated - (2 still on, 1 off respirator), 6 patients admitted w/bacterial pneumonia for IV antibiotics - (2 now at home). He's using hydoxycholroquine, azithromycin, and zinc sulfate, all oral medications. Protocol is listed in video. Treatment goal is to avoid hospitalization. My kind of doctor...

When one looks up Dr Vladimir Zalenko on the internet, he has not provided a single piece of evidence to support his claims. This is not the way an experienced medical professional operates.

Depending on the news source, there is also a wide variation in the claims regarding the number of patients treated.

Reactions: lucylocket61

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
For the benefit of those outside the UK it is unrealistic to suggest that here we could insist we are treated with some sort of protocol that is not approved by the medical authorities. While we can opt out of treatment or possibly treat ourselves, no reputable doctor is going to prescribe treatment for Covid-19 based on a patients knowledge gleaned from the Internet.

Winnie53

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
What I share here is to inform you of what is happening in real time in the US. There is nothing typical about this threat or doctors response to it. My questions are three part: 1) what is being tried, 2) what are the results, and 3) how to gain access to that treatment if needed.

I don't have an answer to the latter question. And I don't expect anyone here to either.

That's why my husband and I are using specific nutritional supplement strategies to make ourselves inhospitable hosts, as much as possible.

Right now we're working our way through all the information on the site isom.ca
The International Sooety of Orthomolecular Medicine.
Thanks to the work of that organization's founder, I personally know three families who each had a desperately ill family member for whom allopathic medicine failed. Of the four whose health was restored, I continue to be in regular contact with two who continue to be healthy and happy today.

Until I had those personal experiences, I was no different from any of you. I rejected anything that wasn't supported by my doctors. When my gastroenterologist told me to try the specific carbohydrate diet following my first flare with ulcerative colitis 20 years ago, I did it and that diet changed the course of my life. I am healthy. When I learned about the low carbohydrate diet from Richard Bernstein, MD 5 years ago for my type 2 diabetes, I did it and it worked.

What I have patiently been conveying to you all is that the nutrients we get from food and/or supplements matter. Step 1. Make sure you're not deficient in the nutrients your body needs to make your body an inhospitable host to the virus. Step 2. If that strategy isn't enough, continue taking the nutrients and add the drugs based on the best information available from real doctors treating real patients in real time.

Right now, I don't know how to gain access to the drugs, so I'm continuing to take a multi vitamin and mineral supplement that includes all the B vitamins, vitamin C, vitamin D3, zinc, selenium, and magnesium. I'm also eating a very healthy whole food diet and walking regularly to keep my glucose levels down while doing all the other things I need to do to optimize my health.

I don't have all the answers. But I at least continue to seek them out and share what I'm learning here. Again, 97% of us will come through this okay. It's the other 3% I'm concerned about.

Dr. Paul Marik is trustworthy in my view. I don't know anything about the other doctor beyond what is in the video I shared last night. If he's a fraud, I want to know that.

Last edited:
Reactions: Speedbird

Winnie53

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Okay, here's a quote for you...

"...not a single COVID-19 patient of his that has been on the hydroxychloroquine and azithromycin regimen for five days or more has had to be intubated."

The reporters are referring to an interview last week with Stephen Smith, M.D., founder of The Smith Center for Infectious Diseases and Urban Health... https://www.smithcenternj.org/ And here is his training and accomplishments... https://www.smithcenternj.org/about-our-doctors/

Here's the article - (the video of the interview with Dr. Smith is embedded at the top of the article)... https://www.foxnews.com/media/dr-st...symptoms-beginning-of-the-end-of-the-pandemic

He doesn't give the entire protocol they're using. He only discusses the two drugs.

72 COVID-19 patients
21 were pre-diabetic (29.2%)
34 were diabetic (47.2%)
Average BMI of severely ill patients: 30.7. Of those, 25 overweight, 30 obese.
In Seattle, 58% of COVID-19 patients in ICU were diabetic with an average BMI of 33.

Of the patients they treated for rapid, severe COVID-19 in the first two days, 19-20 were intubated, 18 were diabetic, 2 pre-diabetic. They have had no severely ill patients under age 70 who didn't have a high BMI or pre-diabetes or diabetes.

On day 3, they began using the two drugs on all patients, monitoring the heart with baseline and follow-up EKG's. No person who has received 5 days or more of the two medications have been intubated.

Interestingly, I haven't found any interviews with Dr. Smith following the April 3rd interview. My hunch is that governments around the world will try to preserve supplies of these two drugs for the medical professionals and first responders who are at risk while treating COVID-19 patients. Eventually, the supply chain will catch up, but for now, I think we're on our own.

Reactions: jjraak and zand