What have you eaten today? (Low carb forum)

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I bet you could have fitted a few chips in there too.

Ooops. Did I say that?

It really has a deceptively cavernous cavity.

I keep meaning to measure the internal footprint again, as Lidl had some great smallish, square enamel roasting tins that could be useful drip trays for some of the really drippier stuff.
I noticed these trays too - the Ernesto ones. Like you I need the size to make sure they fit.

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Do tell please. Is your door suffering from condensation? Mine is. It does go away but I'm wondering if it needs tightened up.

Yes, it does during cooking but quickly disappears. I’ll try and remember to take a pic next time I use it so we can compare.

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi All
Been a bit distrCted last few days.
Today has usual slice Hilo toast, lots of tea.
Lunch was h/m egg mayo and lettuce and 1 tomato.
Supper is chicken, chorizo, red pepper from a jar, tin toms and paprika with pasta for. Mr PM and cauli rice for me.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I noticed these trays too - the Ernesto ones. Like you I need the size to make sure they fit.

I already have a square sandwich tin, which works well, but ideally would be a little bit bigger, so I must measure.

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Black coffee all morning. Starting to have way too much. Why can’t I do anything in moderation?
Lunch: Butcher’s deli roast beef with h/m coleslaw & 2 cherry toms. A low carb IP custard to follow with grated 100% chocolate on top.
Mid afternoon the rest of the bar of chocolate I’d grated (30g Montezuma’s Absolute Black)
Dinner https://www.dietdoctor.com/recipes/keto-curry-chicken-coconut-lime with cauli rice and a glass of wine.
@DCUKMod I picked up the enormous pork belly from the butcher today and it is sitting in brine at the moment awaiting stuffing and a long slow cook tomorrow using your recipe. Really looking forward to that.
@Annb my neighbour also gets the food boxes delivered as she is a shielded person too. She is quite embarrassed about receiving them as she doesn’t need them and can’t figure out how to stop them. She can’t find a phone no or web address to contact. I saw her this week leaning out of her window asking the driver to take it away again so I hope he was able to pass the message along. It does seem a dreadful waste, although very well intentioned.
This came in the post today. I must stop ordering stuff
IMG_2490.jpg

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@SlimLizzy - Amazon informed me the clippers we bought were not essential but then we got 2 emails in quick succession to say the date was brought forward. We got them in 2 days! You never know. @Chook - did have a laugh at the stripes. I washed down the stair today in the hope Hubby would take the hint. If he doesn't I will try the less subtle approach of starting it myself. @DJC3 - the deep clean is all the stuff that is not an everyday thing - behind furniture, into corners, tops if doors and door frames. All that kind of thing. BGs still sitting a bit high. I tend to agree @Goonergal that it's the tail end of this bug. Bed 6.9 FBG 6.1.

B. TAG and a slice of skinny bread toasted with Philadelphia and wafer thin ham.
L. Another slice of skinny bread with tomato and mayonnaise. Really hungry today.
D. 2 woks and the air fryer on the go! Should have had whites on. Hubby wanted chinese so I knocked together Chicken chow mein for him. Me? I had Thai red curry duck breast with sticky (cauliflower) coconut rice. It's on my CMT but I changed it a bit. Made enough to have for lunch tomorrow too.

2 duck breasts, skin removed and battered down to about 1/2 cm. Mix up a tablespoon of red curry paste and about a tablespoon of lime juice. Coat the duck breasts in the mix and leave to sit for at least 30 mins.

"Rice"

Soften a chopped shallot in the wok in a little sesame oil. Add the cauliflower rice and mix through. Add about 125 mls coconut milk (I use Sainsburys as it's really thick) cover and simmer for about 5 mins. Add a handful of frozen peas. Cover. Rinse a good handful of bean sprouts with boiling water then add to the wok. Chopped up 3 cubes of pineapple into little bits and added to the wok with chopped coriander. Add a teaspoon of chilli paste or to taste. Mix. It was sticky by this time so I just covered it and switched off the gas.

The coated duck breasts meantime had 3 mins in the air fryer on one side then another 3 on the other followed by a wee rest. Mixed up a teaspoon of red curry paste with 2 of Fage to get a sauce.

It was rather nice. The leftover coconut milk has become raspberry chia pudding which I'll have with a few raspberries later.

Last edited:
Reactions: Chook and Goonergal

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Black coffee all morning. Starting to have way too much. Why can’t I do anything in moderation?
Lunch: Butcher’s deli roast beef with h/m coleslaw & 2 cherry toms. A low carb IP custard to follow with grated 100% chocolate on top.
Mid afternoon the rest of the bar of chocolate I’d grated (30g Montezuma’s Absolute Black)
Dinner https://www.dietdoctor.com/recipes/keto-curry-chicken-coconut-lime with cauli rice and a glass of wine.
@DCUKMod I picked up the enormous pork belly from the butcher today and it is sitting in brine at the moment awaiting stuffing and a long slow cook tomorrow using your recipe. Really looking forward to that.
@Annb my neighbour also gets the food boxes delivered as she is a shielded person too. She is quite embarrassed about receiving them as she doesn’t need them and can’t figure out how to stop them. She can’t find a phone no or web address to contact. I saw her this week leaning out of her window asking the driver to take it away again so I hope he was able to pass the message along. It does seem a dreadful waste, although very well intentioned.
This came in the post today. I must stop ordering stuff
View attachment 40876
That's a lorra, lorra chocolate.

Reactions: DJC3

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Think I forgot to post my meals yesterday so here goes, yesterday:
Breakfast: my usual low carb coconut ‘porridge’ with strawberries and cream washed down with a black coffee.
Late morning: black coffee and salted caramel phd bar.
Late Lunch: 2 x Babybels followed by Greek yoghurt, lemon chia pudding and macadamia and coconut keto granola.
Dinner: Chicken chasseur and roasted vegetables followed by SF jelly, cream and LC chocolate granola.

Today:
Breakfast: my usual low carb coconut ‘porridge’ with strawberries and cream washed down with a black coffee.
Late morning: black coffee and birthday cake carb Killa bar.
Late Lunch: 2 x Babybels followed by Greek yoghurt, coffee chia pudding and LC chocolate granola.
Dinner: chilli with cauliflower rice followed by SF jelly, cream and macadamia and coconut keto granola.

I received some good news today, my friend who was diagnosed with type 2 in January with an HbA1c in the 50s and asked me to help her with low carbing, messaged me to say she had a blood test this week and her HbA1c is now 39! Just waiting to hear how her GP reacts!

Edit for typo.

Last edited:

SlimLizzy

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
football, both the game and the culture.
29-04-2020
breakfast:nut granola, CWC x2 cauliflower kedgeree. made with one half an onion, one fillet of whitefish,rarelysee smoked haddock here, and one portion of cauli rice.one egg for garnish,spices etc obviously.
very filling so left half for tomorrow.
Out on my bike, took the rubbish, and recycled couple of bottles, then bought ham from village shop, goldplated at that price.
but i might need goodwill sometime so am making at least one purchase a week there. Theyprovide help yourself gloves and spray on entry. Made a few minor diversions on the way home, expanded the trip to fifty- five minutes.
much anticipated coffee and cake, cake is ok, slightly different texture due to using coconut flour.
Chilly damp day, automatically got bowl and scissors for collecting salad, opened the door, gust of wind and rain in my face, shut it again- warm lunch today i think.
Lunch: found a packet of tomato soup. one portion is 16g carbs. Slightly increased size of portion, stirred in spoonfull of yoghurt, guestimated 22g carbs, Had small chunk of cheese and three rashers of bacon as side order. Dont know if the charcoaled bacon contributed much nutririonally, certainly didn't do anything for flavour.
BG before meal 4.6
hour and 15mins later 7.4 oops! Maybe not a good idea to have large rportion.
45 mins later, hit the two hours this time 5.0
Does this mean its an ok meal? Have two portions left, one in freezer.
two mugs of tea late afternoon.
Sorting boxes, lot of up and down stairs. Relisting, repacking and storing in the latest addition to the house. The loft.
All nicely boarded out and lots of space. MrSlim gave me instructions for placement of boxes,because he will need to get under the boards to put in some wires. 15 boxes sorted.
dinner a cheesy, bolognaisy thing from the freezer, with buttered cabbage, brocolli and green beans, water and wine.
evening: tea and two sqares of dark chocolate with hazelnuts. Very pleased i managed to stop at two.
Internet shopping again. Lot of putting things in basket and later removing them, so far no money spent.

D

Deleted member 308541

Breakfast: Usual cheese and mushroom omelette, bacon, tomatoes.
Lunch: ham and salad lc wrap.
Dinner: Steak and veggies, pan juice gravy.

Drinks: Black coffee, water.

Reactions: maglil55 and Chook

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I received some good news today, my friend who was diagnosed with type 2 in January with an HbA1c in the 50s and asked me to help her with low carbing, messaged me to say she had a blood test this week and her HbA1c is now 39! Just waiting to hear how her GP reacts!

Edit for typo.

That’s great news! Well done and lucky her for having a friend like you.

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Well I’m not sure how successful this slow roasted belly pork is going to be @DCUKMod . I have run into a couple of problems already lol. The brining stage was fine. The stuffing was fine. The tying up with butchers string was where it started to go wrong. I could only find garden twine which is quite hairy so I’ve no idea if it’ll hold. Secondly I didn’t realise what a skill it was - should have looked at a YouTube video before attempting the rolling and tying.
Lastly as you see it doesn’t fit in my roasting tin and I didn’t have a trivet so had to use rolled up tinfoil.
I’m waiting for the delicious smells now to reassure me it’ll taste good even if it looks a mess
IMG_2506.jpg

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Well I’m not sure how successful this slow roasted belly pork is going to be @DCUKMod . I have run into a couple of problems already lol. The brining stage was fine. The stuffing was fine. The tying up with butchers string was where it started to go wrong. I could only find garden twine which is quite hairy so I’ve no idea if it’ll hold. Secondly I didn’t realise what a skill it was - should have looked at a YouTube video before attempting the rolling and tying.
Lastly as you see it doesn’t fit in my roasting tin and I didn’t have a trivet so had to use rolled up tinfoil.
I’m waiting for the delicious smells now to reassure me it’ll taste good even if it looks a mess
View attachment 40892
I’m coming round!

Reactions: maglil55 and DJC3

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
Bad things definitely happen in threes, and yesterday was one of those days....

1. Sky broadband died - so no tv, no internet, no music - turned out to be a widespread long outage - gave up and had an early night - got woken by the Echo Dot I use as an alarm clock bellowing that it couldn't access the internet - so I assume the internet flickered on then went off again
2. Sky box died - reported just before the outage started
3. Vacuum cleaner died - (a Dyson which lasted for exactly one month after the warranty expired)

Today
1. Sky broadband back on (hurrah!)
2. Mr Sky arrived at 9.05am with a brand new Sky box and talked us through installing it from the front garden (very impressive service)
3. New Shark vacuum cleaner ordered from AO which will be delivered tomorrow. (Mr C assures me that Shark is a good make - I've never heard of it before. Makes me wonder what else they natter about at his work)

Food...

Breakfast: Scrambled eggs
Lunch: run out of actimel so just a bit of brie
Dinner: quorn mince shepherd's pie made with celeriac and swede mash - and buttered cabbage

Reactions: maglil55

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
View attachment 40892

Ah - I see a fundamental flaw there. The rind is scored. I think I commented at the time, I had to specifically mention to the butcher not to score the rind, in this instance, and when it cooked, the "stringing" (we have posh silicone, hokky things, but it'll be easier with string, so they can stay in the drawer next time) kept the rind immediately underneath soft, so made cutting simple.

Luckily, the silicone hooky band thingies were just teh correct distance apart for slab-like slices.

I'm sure it'll be fine, although I miagine it'll cook a good deal fast than the full time. That said, of course, at such a low temperature for most of the time, it could probably stay in the oven almost all day!

Yes, when we came to the rolling part, it was definitely a 4-hand job.

When you opened your marinading container, did it smell fab? I hope so, and the leftover, pulled to make pulled pork were divine too.

I said at the time, I'd do a vacc pack of the brining bits, so that it can just be added to the salted water and thrown in a fridge for a day or so, to save a bit of time. Sometimes the prep takes a disproportionate amount of time, and doubling quantities doesn't equal double time.

You have a number of hours of culinary purgatory awaiting you, as the aroma start doing their thing.

Reactions: maglil55 and DJC3

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Ah - I see a fundamental flaw there. The rind is scored. I think I commented at the time, I had to specifically mention to the butcher not to score the rind, in this instance, and when it cooked, the "stringing" (we have posh silicone, hokky things, but it'll be easier with string, so they can stay in the drawer next time) kept the rind immediately underneath soft, so made cutting simple.

Luckily, the silicone hooky band thingies were just teh correct distance apart for slab-like slices.

I'm sure it'll be fine, although I miagine it'll cook a good deal fast than the full time. That said, of course, at such a low temperature for most of the time, it could probably stay in the oven almost all day!

Yes, when we came to the rolling part, it was definitely a 4-hand job.

When you opened your marinading container, did it smell fab? I hope so, and the leftover, pulled to make pulled pork were divine too.

I said at the time, I'd do a vacc pack of the brining bits, so that it can just be added to the salted water and thrown in a fridge for a day or so, to save a bit of time. Sometimes the prep takes a disproportionate amount of time, and doubling quantities doesn't equal double time.

You have a number of hours of culinary purgatory awaiting you, as the aroma start doing their thing.

I forgot to ask the butcher not to score it. Mea culpa but as you say it’s a low temp so will be cooking gently all day. It already smells really good
I lost Your original post in the quantity of other posts so I just went entirely in the recipe which says after brining to put all the herby stuffingy things in the middle and roll then put in the oven - did you marinate at this point again?
I imagine it’s going to be a fairly forgiving recipe and although there are only 4 of us here I doubt it’ll last too long.

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Breakfast was about 11 o'clock - after a bad night when I got up in the early hours, took some co-codamol and went to sleep sitting up in the kitchen chair (my chest was bothering me, as were all my joints - I wonder if this is a hang over from the virus). BG last thing last night was 14.5 so I took extra in my basal dose. FBG was 5.8. But by the time I had breakfast it was 13.8!

Anyway, breakfast was some of my smoked mackerel pate with a couple of Krackawheat.

Just had lunch - (BG 11.2) - a bit extra insulin and a big bowl of soup.

Might not need anything else today. If I do, it will be some sort of salad. Still have some milk but when it runs out (as it will) I'll be on the green tea, or maybe Oolong.

Some years ago (before I knew I was diabetic) I went, with a colleague, to a research meeting in Edinburgh but first we stopped off in Glasgow for a Chinese meal. The meal took ages to be served and in the interim I drank 3 full pots of Oolong tea. I was so thirsty - BG must have been very high - but by the time we had eaten and driven to Edinburgh, I was absolutely beside myself and desperate to get to a loo. Oolong tea always reminds me of that incident.

I actually went out today - just a short drive to the local pharmacy to get bleach, disinfect, tissues and so on. It is very warm today and quite hot in the car. The hot, dry air in the car really made my chest feel sore. Shan't repeat that in a hurry.

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi All
We have just had a thunderstorm. I think its how the world feels.
My fridge is very empty though I have a small collection from the farm shop tomo and a Sainsbury C&C next week.
Breakfast was slice HiLo toast, lots of tea.
Lunch was h/m egg mayo on slice HiLo toast. More tea.
Supper will be giant fishfingers and brocolli (chips for Mr PM)
always fishfingers on Thursday!