What have you eaten today? (Low carb forum)

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@SlimLizzy I agree with @Goonergal most meters have that sort of margin of error - you’re well within the confidence limits. Also, as @PenguinMum said it was actually a brilliant post pasta reading.
I’ve just looked for ground Costa coffee in Amazon - was going to recreate the coffee shop experience a la @Rachox by using my reusable takeaway cup too. It is twice the price of all the other coffees though. What a blinking swizz ( an expression my mum used to use) I bought another brand.
On the seafood subject, I love prawns but don’t like to think about them too much - they are a bit too much like insects on legs and if I dwell on it I fear I may go off them. Very impressed with you eating witchety grubs @Tipetoo though. My brother ate locusts while working in Nigeria, he said it was like eating crunchy lard so they’ve never appealed to me!

Reactions: maglil55 and Chook

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Food for today will be the last of the lamb/veg broth I made 3 days ago for a late lunch.

Dinner will be something to do with bits of pork sausage, bits of bacon, tomatoes, onion and mushrooms. Plus plenty of garlic.

I have decided what to do with the big pork belly from the butcher - I'll take it out and defrost it, cut the ribs off, then divide the remaining belly into about 1/4:3/4 and give the larger piece to son
No 2 for a meal for his family (8 of them in their small house right now plus 2 big dogs and 3 cats - goodness only knows where they are putting them all.) Only question will be whether to keep back the skin to make crackling.

I'll also make some more broth today - I've cut the bone out of the fore rib sent by the butcher when I was expecting short ribs. That leaves me with one rib with meat attached and 2 big steaks. The steaks are already in the freezer and the rib has been roasted to get some good flavour into the broth. Pics below of the beef rib:

beef rib.JPG
steak and bone.JPG

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Just phoned No 2 son - his day off so he is home - to find out which day he would use the pork. Probably not in the next few days. He is busy preparing some poussins for the barbeque - spatchcocking them apparently. They were going cheap in Tesco so it was too good a chance to miss. Sounds good.

Edited to fix yet another typo.

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Food for today will be the last of the lamb/veg broth I made 3 days ago for a late lunch.

Dinner will be something to do with bits of pork sausage, bits of bacon, tomatoes, onion and mushrooms. Plus plenty of garlic.

I have decided what to do with the big pork belly from the butcher - I'll take it out and defrost it, cut the ribs off, then divide the remaining belly into about 1/4:3/4 and give the larger piece to son
No 2 for a meal for his family (8 of them in their small house right now plus 2 big dogs and 3 cats - goodness only knows where they are putting them all.) Only question will be whether to keep back the skin to make crackling.

I'll also make some more broth today - I've cut the bone out of the fore rib sent by the butcher when I was expecting short ribs. That leaves me with one rib with meat attached and 2 big steaks. The steaks are already in the freezer and the rib has been roasted to get some good flavour into the broth. Pics below of the beef rib:

View attachment 40820 View attachment 40821

The beef rib looks wonderful

GuidingSenses

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Share what you've eaten today with the rest of the DCUK community and maybe steal a few ideas for yourself!

Please remember that this is the 'Low Carb Diet Forum' and that this thread isn't for low carb debates :)

Breakfast
Gluten free cornflakes and berries

lunch
Chicken salad sandwich

snack
High protein 14 carb bar

Dinner
Home made Polenta oven chips
Gluten free fish fingers
Peas
Glass red wine

exercise 30 min aerobic YouTube video for seniors!

Attachments

• A4F2B54F-6157-4E90-96B7-29DE9B41AE8A.jpeg
    A4F2B54F-6157-4E90-96B7-29DE9B41AE8A.jpeg
    37.7 KB · Views: 233
Reactions: Chook and Annb

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Tonight’s salmon didn’t feel like it’d be enough, so added a side of bacon. Salmon cooked in the air fryer and served with lemon butter sauce, but the skin didn’t crisp up. Any tips from fellow air fryer users?

View attachment 40822

I'd have brushed both sides of the chicken with oil. I have some wonderfully fiery home made chilli oil, I'd likely use, then season it.

First part of the cooking skin side down, then I'd likely turn the fish over to maximise the chance of the skin crisping.

Reactions: DJC3

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Breakfast: my usual low carb coconut ‘porridge’ with strawberries and cream washed down with a black coffee.
Late morning: black coffee and raspberry phd bar
Late Lunch: cheesy scrambled egg followed by Greek yoghurt, orange chia pudding and macadamia and coconut keto granola.
Dinner: gammon steak and roasted vegetables followed by SF jelly, cream and LC chocolate granola.

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Late post for me - been doing another quiz. My head is full of trivia these days but I can’t remember what day of the week it is.
@Goonergal did you dry the skin first? If it’s come out of a packet, or defrosted skin side down, the skin will be damp still and less likely to crisp up. I’d pat dry with paper towels before cooking.
Today started the usual way with black coffee.
Brunch was a BLT in LoDough then a salted caramel DGF blondie
Mid aft snack of M&S salami crisps I found on a bored trawl through the cupboard
Dinner steak with blue cheese sauce and salad.

D

Deleted member 308541

Breakfast: Cheese omelette, bacon, tomatoes, (chucked the mushrooms out I did did not like the look of them).
Lunch: Not much, cheese and a couple of home made pickled onions we got from Des the butcher.
Dinner: Roast beef, veggies, pan juic gravy.

Drinks: Black coffee, water.

SlimLizzy

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
football, both the game and the culture.
27-04-2020
Breakfast: nut granola, 2x CWC, confit chicken livers.
No coffee, grabbed a glass of water on my way through the kitchen about 12pm.
Lunch: one slice pain kapnor toast with pâté. Garden Salad, today rocket and romaine lettuce with white radish and spring onion. Red cabbage coleslaw and cucumber. Water and tea to drink.
Afternoon: tea
Ate the carrot raw while preparing dinner. (this is getting to be a habit) shoulder pork chop marinaded in the last of the red pesto. Roasted cekariac, green beans and peas from the freezer. Glass of water and wine.
Later cheese chunk and ONE square of chocolate. Should have been a treat, but stomach didn't like it.
Managed to finish the hedge. And potted on some of the tomatoes, ran out of compost. That could be tricky to carry on a bike. Will have to think about it. There is also the matter of being sure the supermarket has compost in stock. Long way to go on a bike, for me anyway, if they haven't. Although i could get eggs and one or qtwo other things. Can manage without them for a while longer though. Started but didn't finish the painting, sunny and fine when I started, takes about an hour, thunder and heavens opened, only needed another ten mins to finish. Disappointed. Tomorrow's forecast is awful.

Bacon wrapped halloumi fries, idea for breakfast. Thank you @Goonergal

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@SlimLizzy - have you thought about one of these bike trailer things? I would have thought they could be purchased online. @DJC3 - glad Dennis survived. I've still to do Hubby's hair. A visit to Tesco became essential as I was running out of too many basics and couldn't wait until tomorrow. @Annb - I have tiger prawns, scallops and lobster tails in tomorrows delivery. I only hope they make it!
Bed yesterday 6 9 FBG 6.1. Did quite a lot of deep cleaning yesterday. Even got inbetween the large vertical radiators that are bad for fluff.
B. TAG and a couple if Dairylea triangles.
L. Nothing but made a skinny bread.
D. Slice of still warm skinny bread with lurpack. Chicken breast stuffed with Monterrey Jack and wrapped in Parma ham, green beans and celeriac chips. Usual campari and soda. 2 bits Lidl 85%.

Today - Monday. Another glorious day. Went off on that essential visit to Tesco then to pick up DIL's meds. To be honest, looking at our high street you would never think we were in lockdown. Looked like a normal day Another day of bed & FBG the same at 6 4.
B. TAG and a slice of toasted skinny bread with scrambled eggs.
L. Nothing
D. The tex mex chicken with the mix of beans and peppers and the last of the celeriac. Another slice of skinny bread with lurpack.

Tomorrow I have the double Morrisons order arriving so I'll have the early morning email to tell me what's missing. Fingers crossed I get the shellfish - I love shellfish (sorry @Annb) apart from oysters. Yuk.

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@SlimLizzy - have you thought about one of these bike trailer things? I would have thought they could be purchased online. @DJC3 - glad Dennis survived. I've still to do Hubby's hair. A visit to Tesco became essential as I was running out of too many basics and couldn't wait until tomorrow. @Annb - I have tiger prawns, scallops and lobster tails in tomorrows delivery. I only hope they make it!
Bed yesterday 6 9 FBG 6.1. Did quite a lot of deep cleaning yesterday. Even got inbetween the large vertical radiators that are bad for fluff.
D. Slice of still warm skinny bread with lurpack. Chicken breast stuffed with Monterrey Jack and wrapped in Parma ham, green beans and celeriac chips. Usual campari and soda. 2 bits Lidl 85%.

Today - Monday. Another glorious day. Went off on that essential visit to Tesco then to pick up DIL's meds. To be honest, looking at our high street you would never think we were in lockdown. Looked like a normal day Another day of bed & FBG the same at 6 4.
L. Nothing
D. The tex mex chicken with the mix of beans and peppers and the last of the celeriac. Another slice of skinny bread with lurpack.

Tomorrow I have the double Morrisons order arriving so I'll have the early morning email to tell me what's missing. Fingers crossed I get the shellfish - I love shellfish (sorry @Annb) apart from oysters. Yuk.

Agree about oysters. Yuk. Also caviar, can’t imagine how it ever became a thing to eat these.
Very impressed with your energy for all that cleaning. I think I do even less now. I’m getting so lazy/ relaxed.

Reactions: maglil55

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
idiots who will not learn
Breakfast
Gluten free cornflakes and berries

lunch
Chicken salad sandwich

snack
High protein 14 carb bar

Dinner
Home made Polenta oven chips
Gluten free fish fingers
Peas
Glass red wine

exercise 30 min aerobic YouTube video for seniors!

I NEVER comment on this thread @GuidingSenses but those food choices are in need of review.

Big time.

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I'd have brushed both sides of the chicken with oil. I have some wonderfully fiery home made chilli oil, I'd likely use, then season it. First part of the cooking skin side down, then I'd likely turn the fish over to maximise the chance of the skin crisping.
@Goonergal did you dry the skin first? If it’s come out of a packet, or defrosted skin side down, the skin will be damp still and less likely to crisp up. I’d pat dry with paper towels before cooking.
I take the skin off salmon. I don't go into crisping it.

Thanks all. I love a crispy skin @maglil55. Good tips @DCUKMod and @DJC3. I still have part of a bottle of Hotel Chocolat cocoa and chilli finishing oil, so that would be worth a go next time and I’ll dry the skin too. Good news is I made more of the lemon butter sauce than needed so some of that will go into an experimental coating for today’s lunch.

Bacon wrapped halloumi fries, idea for breakfast. Thank you @Goonergal

You won’t regret it, they’re delicious!

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
I take the skin off salmon. I don't go into crisping it.

If you have the time, you could take the skin off the cooked salmon and put it back in to crisp up. Not worth the bother if you don't like the skin anyway, but I do.

Reactions: maglil55

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin

L. Nothing

I don't dislike shellfish - other than oysters. It's crustacea that I can't cope with - and the idea of witchety grubs, of course.

Reactions: maglil55 and DJC3