• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

therower

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@lindisfel . If the human race hadn’t been so careless to let this virus cross species then we wouldn’t be having these discussions. But we always seem able too. It’s only ourselves that created this problem.
You mess with Mother nature and she occasionally bites back and we don’t like it.

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@lindisfel . If the human race hadn’t been so careless to let this virus cross species then we wouldn’t be having these discussions. But we always seem able too. It’s only ourselves that created this problem.
You mess with Mother nature and she occasionally bites back and we don’t like it.
that doesnt excuse other humans choosing to risk the safety of member of their own species.
animal/human cross over infections have been happening for a very long time.

therower

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
that doesnt excuse other humans choosing to risk the safety of member of their own species.
animal/human cross over infections have been happening for a very long time.
And it’s about time we learn from our mistakes.
Covid 19 isn’t even claiming 1% of the world population yet the “ human race “ has managed and is still managing to wipe out far far more than 1% of other species in the world.
Covid is a deadly virus BUT us, the human race are a far deadlier virus. We kill and wipe out entire species at will. The animal kingdom had the opportunity to kick us up the back side and it’s done it. Look at us......running around like headless chickens unable to accept the fate that we enforce on so much of the natural world.

Max68

The Government needs to mandate it. That's been their problem since the start, too slow out of the blocks and wishy washy with half decisions unlike some other countries who have basically just laid down the law. Ambiguity breeds indecision and with so many different opinions and conflicting advice Boris and co need to start being pro active rather than reactive which they have been since January. If the wearing of masks cause no harm and protect people then just do it, make it compulsory, simple as that. Although it would make life interesting for those of us who are deaf and rely on lip reading whilst being close to people!! Another thing for my employer to moan at me about!!! :banghead:

ert

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
diabetes
fasting
I'm lifting a layered scarf up to cover my nose and mouth while grocery shopping.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
The Government needs to mandate it. That's been their problem since the start, too slow out of the blocks and wishy washy with half decisions unlike some other countries who have basically just laid down the law.

Couldn't agree more with you, it's about time the government laid down the law. If I were told to wear a mask, then I would do it, no problem with that. I go food shopping once a week, I don't go out walking for exercise very much, as I am normally an active person. I keep to my local supermarket as it is minutes away, so very local, I walk, as I don't drive.
I do my very best to keep myself safe and also the safety of others. Also, I saw very few people wearing masks today when I was waiting in the queue to enter the store.

Reactions: hankjam

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
And it’s about time we learn from our mistakes.
Covid 19 isn’t even claiming 1% of the world population yet the “ human race “ has managed and is still managing to wipe out far far more than 1% of other species in the world.
Covid is a deadly virus BUT us, the human race are a far deadlier virus. We kill and wipe out entire species at will. The animal kingdom had the opportunity to kick us up the back side and it’s done it. Look at us......running around like headless chickens unable to accept the fate that we enforce on so much of the natural world.
my point still stands.

Who is this 'we' you talk about? the leaders of regimes who ignore their people? All those who campaign against the deforestation and for the natural habitats to be protected? Those who recycle, buy with the source of their purchases in mind, sign petitions and vote against the laws that leaders of the world make? You cant lump every single person in the same category of blame.

As we all see, every day, governments and leaders ignore the wishes of the majority of people. They renege on their election promises. They lie and do dirty deals behind our backs, and the ordinary people are helpless to stop or prevent it. Many have given their lives for environmental concerns.

So lets have less of this 'we are all to blame' nonsense, and put the blame where it belongs. People who have no power to influence governmental and global decisions do not share in the blame for those decisions.

Regardless of the above points, people telling others they are not going to to their utmost to protect other people, as long as they are ok puts those people in the same camp as the heads of state causing the problems in the first place. As does letting others suffer the consequences of the actions of the few.

I will not contribute to others get this horrible illness due to my conscious decision to make them suffer for things they did not cause, or have no means of preventing.

Last edited:
Reactions: jjraak

therower

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@lucylocket61 . You seem to have introduced politics to the thread. None have my comments have been political in any way.
My point and stand is that us as individuals a huge majority of us are responsible for destroying the planet we live on and are the masters of our own downfall. This includes me. Do I really need to be wasting power using a device that most likely has a carbon footprint just to talk to you? No, I don’t but I am, which is why I refuse to feel I should be special enough to be protected from what Mother Nature has in store for me.

D

Deleted member 308541

I wonder how many people complained in the news media's letters to the editor section in 1939, when gas masks were handed out to the populace at the start of the second world war in the UK.

Reactions: lucylocket61

hankjam

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I wonder how many people complained in the news media's letters to the editor section in 1939, when gas masks were handed out to the populace at the start of the second world war in the UK.

Probably not many, as the effects of mustard / chlorine were still fresh in the memory and they were well prepared by the media at the time.
then a virus, that you can pick up from a hand rail, is quite a different thing.

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
38 million masks were handed out to civilians and it was against the law not to carry one. There was never a gas attack so they were never used. There would certainly have been objections if you had to wear them all the time rather than just carry them.

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
Because they weren't used does not mean that they weren't required .

"Germany planned to use chemical and biological attacks during a wartime invasion of Britain, according to documents from the National Archives.
Aircraft adapted to spray gas or foot-and-mouth disease, and even anthrax shells, were seen as possibilities.
The Nazis were "rapidly preparing" by March 1941 and would not hesitate to attack, say the papers.
Gas attacks on troops were viewed as most likely, but attacks on the public were also predicted.
The newly-released documents - from the Ministry of Home Security and other bodies - say the aim would be to cause panic and start an evacuation that would block roads and prevent defending forces reaching the coast.
Intelligence also revealed that the Germans were planning to falsely accuse Britain of using gas in order to justify its own attacks.
The documents detail the ominous movement of large amounts of chemicals from factories to "areas occupied by troops likely to take part in an invasion".
It also lists evidence from various secret witnesses and "observers".
They include a Swedish army officer who saw gas canisters ready to be loaded at German air bases, and a prisoner of war who "had volunteered information that his squadron had carried out tests near Vienna of gas spray"."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-13859049

It seems prewar British government was far more prepared for all eventualities than the government we have now.

The stockpile of medical equipment held in case of say a pandemic was almost totally depleted of PPE for getting on for a decade and even after constant warnings that it was a need for it to be replaced nothing was done though Dominic Cummings did ensure there were plenty of body bags available.

lindisfel

Expert
This protestation about wearing masks by some is really silly. Making an issue over a trifle!
Masks only need to be used in areas where people unavoidably come close to others, some work situations, transport and shops for eg.

Surely this is no infringment of freedom if it results in better health for the community as a whole?
D.

spendercat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Cruelty. I am kind.
Masks are better at preventing a Covid positive person spreading the virus. They don’t work very well at preventing a healthy person catching Covid from an infected person with no mask.
If everyone on the train/bus is wearing a mask, no one will catch anything. It’s that simple.
Austria’s infection rates dropped 90% when they made masks on public transport and in shops compulsory.

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bigotry, reliance on unsupported 'facts', unkindness, unfairness.
The public would probably be more amenable to wearing masks if they were the kind that would protect them. Sadly, the thought of protecting others seems not to have gained much traction: what does this tell us about the Brits?
And also, I wonder if our esteemed leaders still hankering after herd immunity?

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Because they weren't used does not mean that they weren't required .

"Germany planned to use chemical and biological attacks during a wartime invasion of Britain, according to documents from the National Archives.
Aircraft adapted to spray gas or foot-and-mouth disease, and even anthrax shells, were seen as possibilities.
The Nazis were "rapidly preparing" by March 1941 and would not hesitate to attack, say the papers.
Gas attacks on troops were viewed as most likely, but attacks on the public were also predicted.
The newly-released documents - from the Ministry of Home Security and other bodies - say the aim would be to cause panic and start an evacuation that would block roads and prevent defending forces reaching the coast.
Intelligence also revealed that the Germans were planning to falsely accuse Britain of using gas in order to justify its own attacks.
The documents detail the ominous movement of large amounts of chemicals from factories to "areas occupied by troops likely to take part in an invasion".
It also lists evidence from various secret witnesses and "observers".
They include a Swedish army officer who saw gas canisters ready to be loaded at German air bases, and a prisoner of war who "had volunteered information that his squadron had carried out tests near Vienna of gas spray"."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-13859049

It seems prewar British government was far more prepared for all eventualities than the government we have now.

The stockpile of medical equipment held in case of say a pandemic was almost totally depleted of PPE for getting on for a decade and even after constant warnings that it was a need for it to be replaced nothing was done though Dominic Cummings did ensure there were plenty of body bags available.
I agree with all that but my reply was in response to the suggestion that the public wore masks without objection in WW2. We don't know if they objected but anyway they were only compelled to carry masks not wear them. Gas masks are clearly only for the protection of the person wearing them so not really comparable with wearing a mask for the benefit of others.
Fortunately for me I am not finding isolation difficult so I am happy to continue with that and don't need to wear a mask until the situation changes.

lindisfel

Expert
I was a small baby at the outbreak of war. I remember mother saying later when I was an older child, she didnt know how she was going to get me into the small child's gas protection kit and then get herself and my older sister who was nearly 4 at the time, in a mask as well, if there had been a gas attack.
D.

I agree with all that but my reply was in response to the suggestion that the public wore masks without objection in WW2. We don't know if they objected but anyway they were only compelled to carry masks not wear them. Gas masks are clearly only for the protection of the person wearing them so not really comparable with wearing a mask for the benefit of others.
Fortunately for me I am not finding isolation difficult so I am happy to continue with that and don't need to wear a mask until the situation changes.

Last edited:

Slaine2k

Hi ya guys I feel like chipping in on this as I believe I will be going back to work soon as my place of work is saying they will be reopening very soon by 5 may I work in fast food to be precise and will be told to wear gloves and mask for work and I do not drive will be using bus for 2 hours a day I will be using a mask for it but what gets me is how all off a sudden all these fast food places seem to have ppe when nhs doesn’t I’m new to diabetes too told I had it in March still waiting for results as to which type been about 4 weeks since the test
I know that social distancing is going to be very hard at work even just doing delivery orders and to tell the truth I don’t even know if I should be shielding or at least staying at home due to diabetes still not being under control properly yet
There’s my rant lol

D

Deleted member 308541

Gas masks are clearly only for the protection of the person wearing them so not really comparable with wearing a mask for the benefit of others.
I was to young to remember if my parents put a gas mask on me, but I wear a mask for my protection against other people coughing all over me.

Reactions: KayO_O

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
but what gets me is how all off a sudden all these fast food places seem to have ppe when nhs doesn’t

I think you will find the NHS/Care staff working in close contact with covid patients need a very different type of PPE, and it is that which is in short supply, not the bog standard masks, gloves and pinnies seen in other work places.

Status
Not open for further replies.