What have you eaten today? (Low carb forum)

D

Deleted member 308541

Breakfast: Usual cheese and mushroom omelette, bacon, tomatoes.
Lunch: Cheese on toast.
Dinner: Seafood marinara, small portion of reheated pasta.

Drinks: Black coffee, water.

Got my haircut for the first time since January, as the govt have relaxed the"Iso" rules she started up cutting mobile hair cutting again. Nice "nummawun" clipper cut keeps the head cool... :D

D

Deleted member 308541

I just remembered that US pints are smaller than ours -16 fl oz to our 20 fl oz

So a US quart is 32 fl oz and UK quart is 40 fl oz i have no idea what that is in metric

It caught me out the one and only time I used pint as a measurement. I just thought a pint would be a pint - but apparently not.
I do not know why you all do not use metric measurements instead of imperial so much easier to use in every day life.

bimsbims

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Breakfast: my usual low carb coconut ‘porridge’ with strawberries and cream washed down with a black coffee.
Late morning: black coffee and salted fudge Phd bar
Late Lunch: a small handful of pistachios followed by Greek yoghurt, coffee chia pudding and LC chocolate granola.
Dinner: Prawn cocktail with leafy salad, coleslaw and pork scratchings followed by SF jelly, cream and vanilla and raspberry LC granola.
hello Rachox, can I ask if daily carb in all my meals is 72g total is high? BF 16G, Lunch 38g green homemade smoothie, dinner 18g. i did have 126tg of protein in total and 42g of fat thanks. my hba1c was 65 in Feb 2020 and i am looking to reverse by low card eating. thanks

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I do not know why you all do not use metric measurements instead of imperial so much easier to use in every day life.

It's all part of the rich tapestry of life. Doesn't really make any difference as long as you maintain the same proportions and use the same system for everything in a recipe. Metric is easier, of course, but many of us come from the pre metric era and still think in imperial sizes - difficult for us oldies to visualise a litre or a kilo whereas a pint or a lb is easy. We'll learn eventually, just as most of us have about new/old money.

Reactions: maglil55

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
It's all part of the rich tapestry of life. Doesn't really make any difference as long as you maintain the same proportions and use the same system for everything in a recipe. Metric is easier, of course, but many of us come from the pre metric era and still think in imperial sizes - difficult for us oldies to visualise a litre or a kilo whereas a pint or a lb is easy. We'll learn eventually, just as most of us have about new/old money.

i think in all tnree. I've used a lot of US recipes so I've got a couple of sets of measuring cups and spoons, some recipes i was taught at school or by parents or that i use from some very elderly recipe books are in ounces and the more modern cook books are metric - I just switch between all three but stick to one type of measurement per recipe.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
i think in all tnree. I've used a lot of US recipes so I've got a couple of sets of measuring cups and spoons, some recipes i was taught at school or by parents or that i use from some very elderly recipe books are in ounces and the more modern cook books are metric - I just switch between all three but stick to one type of measurement per recipe.

Yes. There is no problem for me in switching from one system of measurement to another for different recipes. Metric, cups, pounds and oz.
I was taught metric at school, but my mother rejected all things modern and refuses to use metric to this day. By sticking to one kind of unit she misses out on a great deal of interesting and delicious food. As a child I quickly learned to deal with translating different units. It really isn't a biggie, and there are many, many, conversion tables out there. Nowadays I very rarely use recipes anyway, which makes things even easier.

Yesterday:
Not sure I posted? Apologies if I am repeating myself.
B: lc hot choc
L: Corned beef, a Deliciously Guilt Free brownie and a cup of chicory coffee substitute
D: chicken and chorizo stir fry this time with added cream and cheese.
S: a late night glug of kefir

Today:
B: bovril and a lc hot choc
L: kefir
D: will probably be jambalaya, provided I get into gear and start it off in time. This will depend on the Call of the Garden. If I get sucked outside to do stuff after work, then it may well be ham and cheese rollups and the jambalaya can wait until tomorrow.

We have called a halt on No 1 having walks until he has seen the animal chiro. He is NOT enjoying them. Sits down at every opportunity, and asks to be carried where possible. We think he is in quite a lot of back pain. Not surprising. He usually has a treatment every 4-6 weeks, and bounces round like a puppy for the next 2 weeks before slowly deteriorating til his next appt. This time he has gone nearly 4 months without an appt because of Covid, and the level of in-house rough and tumble has increased with Lockdown.

SlimLizzy

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
football, both the game and the culture.
breakfast: 2xCWC, homemade grain free nut granola, bacon melt. Really enjoy these, need to make more. Then will have in fridge or freezer, tasty, filling and guilt free ready made breakfast/lunch/snack.
mid morning: CWC with the idea of making the cream last longer, am now using a version of half and half. (home made ,just topped the cream jug up with milk) using slightly more, 20ml instead of 15. Does not seem to impact BG
Lunch: one slice of pain kapnor toast, (for anyone wondering, its a seeded granary type loaf, low GI and 15g carbs per slice) with pate, lettuce, half a large tomato and coleslaw. Water and tea.
Confession, very stressful and frustrating day, had glass of wine as well.
Later, back to boxes. Listed from 16-31, cheating really, some were empty, moved the numbers up nicely though.
Dinner: savory mince with roasted celeriac topping, mixed veg from freezer, french beans likewise. water and wine, Am running out of fresh veg and dairy products. Trying to manage until masks arrive. Expected delivery date from tomorrow, but might be another two or three weeks. Might go on Sunday, traffic should be less and will need to go along main roads. The smaller supermarket I have been using does not stock everything on my list.
Late night snack: chunk of cheese and then greek yoghurt with raspberries.
lemon tea at bedtime.

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
FBG 8.5 but by breakfast, as usual it was 13.5.
Breakfast - 2 slices black pudding with 2 fried eggs and a slice of the Atkins crispbread.
Later today will have a pork chop with some fried cabbage.
I didn't have peas with my lamb chops last night. I know I have some frozen but I couldn't find them, so I just went without.
Have to sort out my order for the butcher today. I wonder if they have gammon - haven't seen any in there but maybe wasn't looking. Will be asking for more lamb's liver and kidneys. Maybe a lamb shank for some broth. Must also make that chicken soup today, before it goes off. Not feeling up to much today though. Started off well enough cleaning the kitchen and putting some lesser used things through the dishwasher. Gone downhill since then.

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
Breakfast: Usual cheese and mushroom omelette, bacon, tomatoes.
Lunch: Cheese on toast.
Dinner: Seafood marinara, small portion of reheated pasta.

Drinks: Black coffee, water.

Got my haircut for the first time since January, as the govt have relaxed the"Iso" rules she started up cutting mobile hair cutting again. Nice "nummawun" clipper cut keeps the head cool... :D

i'm not a hairdresser but i find it easy to do my husband's hair with clippers (on no. 2) its saved a fortune over the last 24 years.

Reactions: Annb

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
i'm not a hairdresser but i find it easy to do my husband's hair with clippers (on no. 2) its saved a fortune over the last 24 years.

Never could cope with clippers. I've always used comb and scissors. DIL does No 2 son's hair with clippers - usually No 1 setting. He prefers it that way. The way his beard grows he usually looks as though he's had a No 1 on his face as well!

Reactions: Chook

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
i agree with you about needing little luxuries during the lockdown. I'm finding my food/wine Asda deliveries have gone up a little bit but I'm saving loads by not impulse buying at the weekends like I used to. Mr C estimates we're saving about £400 a month!! So, yes, my cheese treat habit is affordable. :angelic:

My little cheese treat which arrived today was 1kg Cornish Blue. I’d totally forgotten I’d ordered it!
Thanks for the US pints info by the way, it wouldn’t have occurred to me either. And Archie is an absolute star! What a fabulous dog.View attachment 41445

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
FBG 8.5 but by breakfast, as usual it was 13.5.
Breakfast - 2 slices black pudding with 2 fried eggs and a slice of the Atkins crispbread.
Later today will have a pork chop with some fried cabbage.
I didn't have peas with my lamb chops last night. I know I have some frozen but I couldn't find them, so I just went without.
Have to sort out my order for the butcher today. I wonder if they have gammon - haven't seen any in there but maybe wasn't looking. Will be asking for more lamb's liver and kidneys. Maybe a lamb shank for some broth. Must also make that chicken soup today, before it goes off. Not feeling up to much today though. Started off well enough cleaning the kitchen and putting some lesser used things through the dishwasher. Gone downhill since then.

Change of plan - I took the pork chop package out of the fridge and realised 1) that there were 2 chops and 2) that they were enormous! Also, I made my chicken, mushroom and cream soup and by 5.30 pm couldn't resist it. So I've had a large bowlful and, although I don't feel totally full, I don't think I should have anything else today. BG was still 12.5 before the soup.

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
My little cheese treat which arrived today was 1kg Cornish Blue. I’d totally forgotten I’d ordered it!
Thanks for the US pints info by the way, it wouldn’t have occurred to me either. And Archie is an absolute star! What a fabulous dog.View attachment 41445

According to the web page, I don't have permission to view this attachment. Odd. Was it a picture of the dog, or the cheese?

Reactions: DJC3

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Put my ‘back up’ sensor in yesterday to settle and then I activated it this afternoon - crossing fingers so far so good , it matches my bg meter! Impressed too by Abbott’s Customerservice- I talked to them mid am yesterday about my very faulty sensor and a new replacement sensor plus a bag to return the faulty one arrived at 8 this morning!
Wow so hot today felt like summer had arrived overnight.
Breakfast one slice of bacon and egg with half a slice of lc toast
Lunch cheese and celery sticks and a few walnuts
Dinner Cajun chicken, green salad and avocado salad with glass of dry white wine followed by lc raspberry mousse with yoghurt
Planning to get out in garden in a bit to water everything is very dry now. I also went down to Bewdley to send my faulty sensor back and can’t believe just how low the river Severn has gone - like mid summer - can’t believe a few months ago it was flooded.

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
According to the web page, I don't have permission to view this attachment. Odd. Was it a picture of the dog, or the cheese?

Haha it was the cheese! I’m I don’t have permission either.

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Way too much black coffee this morning. Felt a bit odd until mid afternoon.
Lunch was DD breakfast sandwich
Mid afternoon a couple of Babybell cheeses
Dinner Roast chicken, a few cauli florettes roasted round the chicken towards the end and some veg sautéed in olive oil ( courgette, aubergine and yellow pepper) then a bit of the Cornish blue cheese and a glass of red. Will try to post a photo again....
IMG_2727.jpg

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Evening all. Enjoying the sunshine here - just a shame that work interferes during the day.

Had a short walk before starting work and spotted 2 herons in a park where I’d previously assumed there was only one. This evening I had my first non digital contact since lockdown - now meeting someone from outside your own household is allowed, arranged to meet a friend in a park for a walk. Very enjoyable. Although one particular area was totally full of people - Peckham for those who know SE London. Very definitely open for business!

Two meals today. Brunch of cold sausage left over from yesterday and some salami and chorizo.
Dinner was a small ribeye steak and a fried egg.

Editing to add the cheese I’ve just snaffled - feeling distinctly peckish.

Last edited:

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Breakfast: my usual low carb coconut ‘porridge’ with strawberries and cream washed down with a black coffee.
Late morning: black coffee and Peanut phd bar.
Late Lunch: tiny portion of left over roasted veggies with grated cheddar melted over them followed by Greek yoghurt, orange chia pudding and vanilla and raspberry LC granola.
Dinner: gammon steak and leafy salad followed by SF jelly, cream and LC chocolate granola.

D

Deleted member 308541

Metric is easier, of course, but many of us come from the pre metric era and still think in imperial sizes - difficult for us oldies to visualise a litre or a kilo whereas a pint or a lb is easy. We'll learn eventually, just as most of us have about new/old money.
Australia went fully metric in the early 1970's so it was a matter of having to get used to it, I can still remember our getting started instructions for the currency though which was on the ship coming out here, a tin of beer which was 1 shilling and 6 pence now costed 15 cents, a pint at 2 shillings was now 20 cents. and so on I think that kicked in when we left South Africa when we stopped there for the day.

Most of our scales had dual weights on them, which helped when the weight and measures changeover kicked in. I had been mentally converting weights from pounds to kilos by 2 times the weight + 10% which was near enough for us.

Looking back I enjoyed that change over period as it was a once in a life time thingy.