Meal replacement shakes - avoiding spikes

Staymajj01

Hi guys,

I have been researching the internet for too long now and I can only seem to find helpful information for type 2's and not type 1's!

I have recently bought some meal replacement shakes from Nutribuddy, they taste lovely (unlike some shakes my partner has used in the past) and keep me full until my next meal. However, I do have an issue of my bloods spiking quite rapidly about 10-15 minutes after having one.

I have been reading articles recommending putting high-fibre products in the shakes such as chia/flax/hemp seeds, raw nuts, nut butter, avacados and other addings such as cottage cheese, to slow the release of carbs.

I will try this moving forward but I would also like to actually speak to another type 1 diabetic who uses meal replacement shakes regularly and has no issues.

Oh and may I add that I would like to use the shakes for weight loss (along with a small amount low intensity exercise)...especially after a few lazy months of lockdown!

Thank you for reading :)

Jessica

Marie 2

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Pump
So it depends on the shake. If it has carbs, then it could be a very simple carb, say fructose and that would cause a pretty quick spike. Companies do this for flavor but also because some people are taking it for a quick rush of energy. If you want to stop the spike you would need to prebolus. If it's a lower carb shake and high protein for some of us like me, the high protein low carb combo makes my blood sugars go crazy. Some people aren't as affected by high protein low carb ratio as others are. But I have to prebolus for the protein too. I prefer using just a plain protein powder so I can put a normal amount of carbs in it so I know what to expect.

Reactions: Staymajj01

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Why are you having shakes at all? They are heavily marketed and often full of carbs. As a T1 you just need to control your carb intake to avoid weight gain and BS swings. I'm assuming you manage the insulin by carb-counting etc. It's easier to eat as a T1 rather than T2 assuming your insulin management is good and you know that carbs affect your weight.

Marie 2

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Pump
As a T1 you can have a shake that has carbs, you just have to dose right for it.

Bluemarinejosephine

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hello
I hope you are well.

Here is why protein shakes are a no-no.

Firstly, most of them have an important carbohydrate content. Even if they are advertised as “low carbohydrate” for a non-diabetic, for us even 10grams carbs per glass is enough to elevate our sugars by 3 mmol+.

Secondly, meal replacement/protein shakes usually contain whey protein which is a mixture of proteins isolated from whey, which is the liquid part of milk that separates during cheese production. Milk actually contains two main types of protein: casein (80%) and whey (20%). Whey is found in the watery portion of milk. This is certainly not going to help you control your sugars.

Thirdly, 30 grams of low calorie protein powder has 120 calories. Meal replacements have more calories.
You will add around 120 more if you use a non-dairy mylk, like coconut mylk, you are already at 240 calories.
If you add nuts and seeds to this mixture you will end up with, a 500-700 calorie drink, as 30grams of mixed nuts has around 200 calories, 25 grams of pumpkin seeds another 150 calories, 30 grams of sunflower seeds another 200 calories… this is a calorific bomb.

Finally, nutritionally, inside some of the most popular options, you’ll find a mouthful of ingredients, including:

• Corn Maltodextrin
  • Sugar
  • Blend of Vegetable Oils (Canola, Corn)
  • Milk Protein Concentrate
  • Soy Protein Isolate
  • Cocoa Powder (Processed with Alkali). Plus more than 30 other ingredients
On top of that, some meal replacements have approximately:
  • more than 300 calories
  • more than 10 grams of fat
  • over 22 grams of sugar
  • And VIRTUALLY NO FIBER
The “Vitamins and Minerals” Are Synthetic. All it takes is one glance at words such as:
  • Sodium Molybdate
  • Sodium Selenate
  • And Potassium Iodide
You instinctively know you don’t find those in nature.

Many meal replacement shakes are packed with ingredients that can barely be classified as foods, including:

• Refined vegetable oils.
  • Thickeners and preservatives.
  • Colour and flavour enhancers, the biggest two inflammatory ones are aspartame or sucralose.
So, my suggestion would be to bin them and choose, real, wholesome, hearty, nutritional food.

michita

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello
I hope you are well.

Here is why protein shakes are a no-no.

Firstly, most of them have an important carbohydrate content. Even if they are advertised as “low carbohydrate” for a non-diabetic, for us even 10grams carbs per glass is enough to elevate our sugars by 3 mmol+.

Secondly, meal replacement/protein shakes usually contain whey protein which is a mixture of proteins isolated from whey, which is the liquid part of milk that separates during cheese production. Milk actually contains two main types of protein: casein (80%) and whey (20%). Whey is found in the watery portion of milk. This is certainly not going to help you control your sugars.

Thirdly, 30 grams of low calorie protein powder has 120 calories. Meal replacements have more calories.
You will add around 120 more if you use a non-dairy mylk, like coconut mylk, you are already at 240 calories.
If you add nuts and seeds to this mixture you will end up with, a 500-700 calorie drink, as 30grams of mixed nuts has around 200 calories, 25 grams of pumpkin seeds another 150 calories, 30 grams of sunflower seeds another 200 calories… this is a calorific bomb.

Finally, nutritionally, inside some of the most popular options, you’ll find a mouthful of ingredients, including:

• Corn Maltodextrin
  • Sugar
  • Blend of Vegetable Oils (Canola, Corn)
  • Milk Protein Concentrate
  • Soy Protein Isolate
  • Cocoa Powder (Processed with Alkali). Plus more than 30 other ingredients
On top of that, some meal replacements have approximately:
  • more than 300 calories
  • more than 10 grams of fat
  • over 22 grams of sugar
  • And VIRTUALLY NO FIBER
The “Vitamins and Minerals” Are Synthetic. All it takes is one glance at words such as:
  • Sodium Molybdate
  • Sodium Selenate
  • And Potassium Iodide
You instinctively know you don’t find those in nature.

Many meal replacement shakes are packed with ingredients that can barely be classified as foods, including:

• Refined vegetable oils.
  • Thickeners and preservatives.
  • Colour and flavour enhancers, the biggest two inflammatory ones are aspartame or sucralose.
So, my suggestion would be to bin them and choose, real, wholesome, hearty, nutritional food.

Just wanted to say welcome back to the forum :)

Reactions: mooshk

Marie 2

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Pump
Not all shakes have junk. There are plenty that have pure protein powder, soy, rice, hemp, coconut, pea, oats etc. Then there are those that have just a few ingredients added, greens or fruits. That just depends on which one you buy. I commonly buy a pure soy or rice protein and add blueberries, bananas or mango . This is a great take with you meal, or a fast and simple easy meal. It doesn't have to be high calorie. But there are plenty of blends out there that have good ingredients, it just depends where you shop for them.

I don't care how many carbs are in them, I do care what the carbs are coming from.

LifeTime Life Basics line is really good. Peaceful Planet makes a very clean line, Garden of Life to name a few.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Not all shakes have junk.

Doesn't that rather depend on your definition of "junk"?

They certainly don't contain whole food in any form just a selection of highly processed "stuff".

Marie 2

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Pump
Pure rice protein powder, or pea protein powder and spirulina, chlorella, Pure hemp seed. Rice and pea protein and greens. . Psyllium seeds powder. Or organic raw protein and sprouts. Those are not junk.

LaoDan

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
The term “new normal “
I make my own.
1 scoop of isopure zero carb protein, toasted coconut flavor. One large avocado, one tablespoon of chia seeds, one tablespoon of psyllium husk, 1/4 teaspoon of cinnamon, and a pinch of salt, unsweetened almond milk in the blender. Oh god it’s so amazing and zero spike. For me anyway.

stay away from store bought shakes...

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Pure rice protein powder, or pea protein powder and spirulina, chlorella, Pure hemp seed. Rice and pea protein and greens. . Psyllium seeds powder. Or organic raw protein and sprouts. Those are not junk.
Matter of opinion... but mostly highly processed so not really part of a WFPB diet surely?

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
As a T1 you can have a shake that has carbs, you just have to dose right for it.
Yes, you can match the insulin but you may gain weight and wonder why the insulin no longer works well as you become insulin resistant. Many T1s have a good metabolism and won't gain weight but others need to be careful as I do.

Marie 2

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Pump
Sure you just can’t decide to eat whatever quantity of food you want to. But you take insulin to match the food you decide to eat. Too much food, is too many calories and then too much insulin will make you gain. The too much food will vary per person.

But shakes with all the nutrients can be a wonderful meal replacement. A shake can be as little as 200 calories or 500 or 800, that becomes your choice.

If you don’t like them, no one is making you drink one.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Folks, please remember that this thread was started by a new member (hi and welcome @Staymajj01 :) ) experiencing blood glucose spikes around replacement meals, and asking for input on the subject by type 1 diabetics who have similar experiences to share, and input on the subject.

Those who don’t use shakes, and don’t use insulin to control blood glucose when using shakes, are derailing - which probably seems very unwelcoming to a new member.

@Staymajj01
I hope you haven’t been put off by some of the posts above. Usually our membership is far more helpful and welcoming than this.

Reactions: sleepster

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Sure you just can’t decide to eat whatever quantity of food you want to. But you take insulin to match the food you decide to eat. Too much food, is too many calories and then too much insulin will make you gain. The too much food will vary per person.

But shakes with all the nutrients can be a wonderful meal replacement. A shake can be as little as 200 calories or 500 or 800, that becomes your choice.

If you don’t like them, no one is making you drink one.
Ah. You mention calories and they are of little relevance to us. It's carbs that matter. I think you may have been over-influenced by the marketing of these companies :)

Marie 2

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Pump
This OP wanted to know why she got a spike after shakes. Plenty of us type 1's enjoy shakes with no issues and everyone does not eat the same way. If she wants to enjoy shakes she can. She just has to figure out how best to handle it.

In this case the shake has oats which have to have the proper insulin taken for them. But I'm not sure the oats would hit in 10-15 minutes. So I am wondering what you are mixing with the shake? Maybe it has a faster carb? But prebolusing should help. I would not prebolus the whole amount of insulin, but maybe just a little bit?

There is nothing wrong if the OP wants to have shakes, it's her choice. It's her choice what kind of shakes she wants and how she chooses to make the shakes work that she likes or to choose a different one or not at all. Her choice of the brand of shake she likes is never a bad choice and actually looks like a nice shake. It actually has some nice and very few ingredients in it.

Carbs matter for insulin, calories can matter for weight loss. If you choose low carb and consume too much fat you can still gain weight from too many calories. You don't have to low carb. People can lose weight still eating carbs. To do so you have to lower the quantity of food (calories) or lower the fat. Consuming 200 calories in a shake can be the way to do so instead of eating 800 calories in a meal and easier for some people. We all can be very different. A majority of type 1's do not choose to low carb and do just fine.

DCB 2

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Carry out out pizza commercials on the TV and people bringing in a fresh box of glazed donuts to work !!! (They are evil)
Staymajj01,

I just wanted to say welcome to the forum !!!!! I understand that just being diagnosed is more than a little bit scary. Trust me I wish I could help you with your question but I am here in the States and can not give any answers to your question. Some humble advice try to digest what is to your question I would be glad to be a sounding board. We could handle it as an off line message if you like. This forum provide some excellent information, it just takes time to digest it.

Again welcome to the forum !!!!!!!!!

Dave

Last edited:

Rylando88

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I have tried loads of different shakes over the years I love them, although I buy powder not the ready mixed shakes, not sure which you are having?
I have found when I buy them I make sure to check the label or look online to choose ones with the lowest amount of sugar per 100g powder, this is usually helpful in managing spikes! There are loads of brands that cater for sugar free or low sugar diets now so if you have a browse online you may find some that might be more suitable for you? If you want any help give me a shout I’d happily have a look for you xx