COVID 2019 Comorbidity with Diabetes

Dark Horse

More likely the undiagnosed are being diagnosed..
The article says:-
Francesco Rubino, Professor of Metabolic Surgery at King’s College London and co-lead investigator of the CoviDiab Registry project, said some Covid-19 patients who are testing positive for the disease in hospital already had the disease but were not aware.

“That's obviously a possibility and they discover they have diabetes because they present in a hospital and they get checked and also because the infection actually raises their sugars even more,” he told The Telegraph.

However he said the number of Covid-19 patients being diagnosed with diabetes is “actually higher than you would expect from unknown diabetes being identified on admission to a hospital”.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
However he said the number of Covid-19 patients being diagnosed with diabetes is “actually higher than you would expect from unknown diabetes being identified on admission to a hospital”.
i.e. he's guessing and has no idea..
How does he know how many to "expect"?

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

The article says:-
Francesco Rubino, Professor of Metabolic Surgery at King’s College London and co-lead investigator of the CoviDiab Registry project

That would be his years, possibly decades of experience as a professor of Metabolic Surgery at King’s College London, and previous experience elsewhere.

It is certainly a great deal more real life experience in this field, in a professional capacity, than you or I have.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
That would be his years, possibly decades of experience as a professor of Metabolic Surgery at King’s College London, and previous experience elsewhere.

It is certainly a great deal more real life experience in this field, in a professional capacity, than you or I have.

Not wishing to create dissent but he's working at one place and has never experienced anything like COVID before?
He may be right or he may not.. he's still just expressing an informed opinion?

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Not wishing to create dissent but he's working at one place and has never experienced anything like COVID before?
He may be right or he may not.. he's still just expressing an informed opinion?

Of course he is expressing an informed opinion.
And in my opinion he is more informed than you or I on this subject.
Claiming that

is no more than a guess by yourself - and with less evidence, and less experience than he has.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Of course he is expressing an informed opinion.
And in my opinion he is more informed than you or I on this subject.
Claiming that

is no more than a guess by yourself - and with less evidence, and less experience than he has.

With great respect though, maybe with "diabetes" being a significant co-morbidity it is being tested for a lot more on admission than would usually be the case?
So far as I am aware an HbA1c isn't usually done (unless diabetes is suspected) when you are admitted.
Finding that a higher proportion of the pop are metabolically unhealthy when admitted with COVID would hardly be surprising.
And I'll bow out. x

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
With great respect though, maybe with "diabetes" being a significant co-morbidity it is being tested for a lot more on admission than would usually be the case?
So far as I am aware an HbA1c isn't usually done (unless diabetes is suspected) when you are admitted.
Finding that a higher proportion of the pop are metabolically unhealthy when admitted with COVID would hardly be surprising.
And I'll bow out. x

This is why all the COVID armchair experts are doing nothing more than speculating.
They are not working in the hospitals, seeing when and why the tests are being run - either now or pre-covid.

The stats may be fallible (all stats are potentially fallible) but the people at the coalface, offering experience based on actual experience, should be treated with at least as much respect as those sitting comfortably at home surfing social media.
In my opinion they should be given much more respect than the surfers.

It is so easy to say ‘rubbish!’ And ‘nonsense!’ And ‘what does he know?’ when those with actual knowledge and experience invariably treat people with a great deal more courtesy.

Personally, I don’t claim knowledge (6 months of reading on COVID and I still have more questions than answers), but I do try not to casually dismiss professionals who have spent their career working in a field in which I have only armchair surfing.

Debandez

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
More likely the undiagnosed are being diagnosed..

And also being poorly can and does put blood sugars up as we know. This is just one day of my (suspected) covid-19 illness on 8th December. A day I couldn't stomach food (I think the early high may have been coffee but this particular evening I tried to eat something but simply couldn't. At this point i had lost 5lbs, i couldn't afford, through lack of appetite.

Im a well controlled t2d. Normally in the green area. I couldn't believe the impact this illness was having on my bs. And this was just one day. If you are ill from covid for weeks, as some are, i can imagine many would be taken from prediabetic numbers to diabetic.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200621-024013_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20200621-024013_Gallery.jpg
    243.5 KB · Views: 298

lindisfel

Expert
Its not the professionals I distrust, it's the politicians.
We are lifting lock down without a ap or coping strategy if the virus takes off and starts killing 1000's per week again.

Its still killing in the hundreds per week, in my opinion we are living in a fools paradise if we think going to a pub is safe.

As Whitty says the virus is here long term.

At the last briefing last night the scientists had a very different tenor and approach to the PM.

One doesn't have to be armchair expert to recognise an "over the top boys" mentality and hear the whistle blown on safety concerns so business can take off.

We wouldn't be in such a mess if we hadn't underfunded our health service for ten year before the pandemic broke.
D.

Last edited:

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I just read a blurb piece that women (not men) on metformin have a 25% lower death rate in hospital than those not on it. Anyone seen anything g substantive on this?

lindisfel

Expert
So it looks to be the state of our T cells is a major factor in how we survive the Covid 19.
After age 60 our T cells suffer from aging and at my age, 81, they are pretty much knackered.
Which is perhaps why the old die readily and the young with pristine T cells are mainly unaffected.
Now if low carb and keto could renovate our T cells that would be a real boon for our diet.
Perhaps vitamin D is the solution?
D.

Last edited:

Mrs T 123

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I just read a blurb piece that women (not men) on metformin have a 25% lower death rate in hospital than those not on it. Anyone seen anything g substantive on this?
That is scary for someone (like me) who controls their diabetes through diet & exercise only :(

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Any chance of a link?

NicoleC1971

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Agree that this is only surprising if you don't expect a lot of those being admitted to have un-diagnosed metabolic conditions such has high blood sugars and hypertension (typically quiet conditions that are under diagnosed along with insulin resistance).

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
That is scary for someone (like me) who controls their diabetes through diet & exercise only :(
I read it as benefit for those on it not a detriment to those not. Remember most will be on it for diabetes and as such have statistically higher fatality and as such this reduces that additional risk, in the same way good diet control of blood glucose levels also lowers those risks . It is also not yet peer reviewed (preprint) and doesn’t go into why this is the case. Like so much at this point in time it’s a wait and see