What have you eaten today? (Low carb forum)

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@Goonergal just a quickie.... There's some yellow stuff called 'Elbow Grease' from Home Bargains which is brilliant for getting grease off clothes and marks off walls where dogs have rubbed against them. It says on it that it's an all purpose de-greaser. I don't know where else you can get it. It seems to work on most surfaces.
That's the yellow stuff that looks like radioactive waste?

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
You could try a damp erasure sponge very gently or, if that fails a very mild vinegar solution and a damp cloth. If you have the original paint you can touch the area up again after cleaning if necessary. Hubby managed to get something on our wall and that's the method I used. The danger with an oily mark is if you don't get it out it may seep though a repainting job.
@Goonergal -I do of course mean something like this, not the pop group! I prefer the flat magic sponges rather than these.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Flash-Magic-Eraser-Extra-Scrubber/dp/B00J7OAPO6

JenniferM55

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Bacon, 1 sausage and scrambled eggs for breakfast... please may I never get fed up of this breakfast!:woot:

Fridge is looking a bit empty and Tesco doesn't deliver until Friday, so I'm debating do I really need to go to the small local Sainsburys for a few provisions.... can I stretch what I have I wonder?

Looking at a carton of Napolina Tomato Passata (just love Napolina range they don't add sugary stuff) I see they are asking if I've tried their Chicken Arrabbiata recipe - looking at their recipe the sauce looks quite low carb, ingredients being: carton of passata, garlic, chillie and herbs- no onion to wind up the carbs. I'll make 4 meals with the sauce, which makes the sauce around 4g carbs per serving. Tonight it'll be served with a sliced and fried chicken breast, and sprouts steamed then sauted in butter.

Tomorrow's dinner will probably the Arrabbiata sauce again with a few different spices thrown in, served with beef meatballs covered with melted cheese and whatever bits of salad I can find. Maybe I wont have to go to Sainsburys after all!

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
That's the yellow stuff that looks like radioactive waste?

It is a bit bright but it does the job. Mr C gets fat splashes on his clothes virtually every time he cooks so, between him and the dogs leaning or rubbing against the walls, I get through quite a lot of it. I use it as an all purpose cleaner

Reactions: DJC3 and maglil55

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Evening all.

Thanks for the cleaning tips @Chook and @maglil55 . I have checked out the nearest Home Bargains store, which according to google maps is 3.9 miles away. Easy walking distance for me, although if I were to go my preferred scenic route using the river and parks it’d be about 8 miles. Choice between a midweek post work walk or a longer, weekend one. Think I know which will win.

@Brunneria am hoping that there will be no need to redecorate and @DJC3 it was my boss on the other end of the video call and she’s more than used to me being a bit odd/uttering expletives!

On to today’s food.

Lunch was 25% mince (Lidl variety, love it) fried with onions, 2 eggs and some grated cheese.
Dinner was carnivore pizza topped with pepperoni, chorizo and Polish sausage.

Soirée with some neighbours later.

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
FBG at 7.15 was 10.5, rising to 13.7 by 9 o'clock on one cup of tea.

Insulin and then Breakfast at 10 am was a small bowl of the leek and coconut soup, with a little extra cream in it to smooth it out a bit. No ill effects this time.

BG at 2 pm (forgot to check earlier) was 10.3.

I've decided to have a sort of clafoutie with blackberries and raspberries - they need to be used up and it's what I fancy. Just 1/2 dessp of waterchestnut flour in it and no sugar. Mostly just fruit and eggs. That'll be in an hour or so.

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Bed 7 FBG 6.8 on Monday. Yesterday was a good drying day for washing @Chook but not today (Tuesday). Thankfully got mine done, dried and ironed yesterday. I'm still feeling almost normal (touch wood). Hubby continues to improve as he's moaning again.
B. TAG and a slice of LC toast with ox tongue with coleslaw.
L. 2 GF crackers with smoked mackerel pate.
D. Slice each ox tongue, mortadella and 1/2 slice turkey. Lettuce, 4 santini tomatoes, veggie salad and a boiled egg. 2 squares of the evil Godiva.

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi All
Yesterday had my usual breakfast of one slice HiLo toast, butter copious tea.
Lunch was small plate cheddar salad.
Supper was mushroom omelette.

today same brekfast.
Lunch was h/g lettuce, cherry toms and egg mayo.
Supper will be roasted aubergine chunks, red onion and toms with a trickle of olive oil and a sprinkling of dried Italian herbs and seasoning.

Still having horrid bg levels, starting high and flatlining all day though today was slightly better. Am wondering if its not taking any vit c in the last couple of weeks. I used to take 500mg of sublingual but can’t get it for months, comes from the US. Thought I had found it on Amazon but when it came it was child’s version so back it goes.Today found some Vitc powder by a Sussex coy which melts under tongue. Any vit c pill does awful things to my gut. There was an article posted on the forum just over a year ago saying vit c reduces bg rise after food significantly. A lot of people weren’t convinced but just maybe!

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
FBG at 7.15 was 10.5, rising to 13.7 by 9 o'clock on one cup of tea.

Insulin and then Breakfast at 10 am was a small bowl of the leek and coconut soup, with a little extra cream in it to smooth it out a bit. No ill effects this time.

BG at 2 pm (forgot to check earlier) was 10.3.

I've decided to have a sort of clafoutie with blackberries and raspberries - they need to be used up and it's what I fancy. Just 1/2 dessp of waterchestnut flour in it and no sugar. Mostly just fruit and eggs. That'll be in an hour or so.
I'm sorry you're having such issues. I don't understand insulin but I don't get why insulin doesn't bring your BGs down. My friend's ex was insulin dependent and he regarded insulin as a reason to eat anything and inject for it. His issue was the opposite to yours - numerous hypos.

Reactions: Chook

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
NE1 today was bacon and eggs
NE2 was one of those odd but surprisingly tasty DD things https://www.dietdoctor.com/recipes/keto-bacon-burger-casserole VERY filling. But that may have been because I ate 1/2 avocado while cooking it ( NE1.5) as I suddenly got v hungry.
@PenguinMum you are eating so little, it’s really frustrating that your bg is staying up. I wonder if it is the absence of vit C? I didn’t see that thread and hadn’t heard of this effect. I hope you can source an appropriate brand soon.

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I realised I have the habit of posting pictures of my more impressive meals so I thought I'd post one of my lazy meals as well :)
Not sure how many carbs in a corn of cob, but from experience I know I should inject for it as being pretty low carb. No idea where the carbs go, but definitely not in my bloodstream for the most part, so I count them as low carb. To my thinking, the amount of insulin I need trumps the books, as far as carb counting goes.
And I love corn with butter and salt! Dogs were happy too, as I only used about half of the butter on my plate, so they got to eat the rest :)

The questionable thing next to it is a vegetarian cheese thing from Aldi with smokey sriracha, 14 grams of carbs. A ridiculous food but I still love it :hungry:

Cracker with gorgonzola earlier in the day, midnight snack will follow, as always.

116884503_10221495298766202_2400075515355270216_o.jpg

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Bed 6.8 FBG 6.2. Much improved thankfully. There's hope after all! @Antje77 - I regret I couldn't eat a whole cob without a spike. For something that is so good in almost every department, it's very high in starch which puts a full ear at around 18g carbs. Off the cob is a lot worse. I'll happily have a half with little problem though. Shame, because I do love them.
B. TAG and the slice of LC toast with ox tongue (run out of coleslaw).
L. 2 GF crackers with smoked mackerel pate.
D. 2 GF sausages, 2 fried eggs and a few veggie chips. Will be having a few raspberries later (stay away from Godiva).

Weather has been dire today. Put off going to Tesco as long as I could but, with no break in the rain I had to give in. Can anyone explain why cyclists would go out in torrential rain? It's not as if they were caught out. It hasn't let up all day.

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
@Antje77 - I regret I couldn't eat a whole cob without a spike. For something that is so good in almost every department, it's very high in starch which puts a full ear at around 18g carbs
I have been experimenting once in a while and every time I've been astonished at how my diabetes doesn't react as if it has so many carbs at all. I'm starting to get the impression it's the same with pulses for me but I don't eat them often enough to know for sure yet.

Reactions: maglil55 and Chook

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Breakfast: strawberries, cream and raspberry and vanilla LC granola with black coffee.
Elevenses: black coffee with raspberry phd bar
Lunch: a few rashers of M&S crispy bacon followed by Greek yoghurt, coffee chia pudding and LC chocolate granola.
Dinner: sausages, a tiny portion of mash and cauliflower and brocolli followed by SF jelly, cream and LC raspberry and vanilla granola.

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Three small meals again after an early morning swimming and exercise session - really enjoyed my swim again.
Breakfast one slice of bacon, egg and half a toasted chaffle
Lunch cheese, celery and lc seeded crackers
Dinner sea bream in lemon butter with celeriac chips and asparagus with glass of dry wine mixed with soda followed by pudding sf jelly and cream.
My birthday plans tomorrow include an evening meal out at local pub with the 50% deal - will be interesting to see how it goes it’s our first time into the pub.

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Three small meals again after an early morning swimming and exercise session - really enjoyed my swim again.
Breakfast one slice of bacon, egg and half a toasted chaffle
Lunch cheese, celery and lc seeded crackers
Dinner sea bream in lemon butter with celeriac chips and asparagus with glass of dry wine mixed with soda followed by pudding sf jelly and cream.
My birthday plans tomorrow include an evening meal out at local pub with the 50% deal - will be interesting to see how it goes it’s our first time into the pub.

Happy birthday for tomorrow :). I hope you have a lovely meal at the pub!

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm sorry you're having such issues. I don't understand insulin but I don't get why insulin doesn't bring your BGs down. My friend's ex was insulin dependent and he regarded insulin as a reason to eat anything and inject for it. His issue was the opposite to yours - numerous hypos.

My DIL is the same. Eats what she likes, uses insulin during the day (if she remembers) but has hypos during the night (without insulin). It's all a lot more complicated than one might think at first. I think that my system just doesn't respond very well to insulin. So I need to take more and more. The new one did seem to have an effect for 2 days, at a lower level than my usual one, but now it doesn't and I'm having to put it up to getting on for the same level as the last one. And still not under control.

Btw - the clafoutie upset my stomach. Still waiting for it to pass. BG 10.7.

Neil has been looking for things in the loft and has brought down boxes and boxes of plates, cups, saucers and mugs. Some just have to go to the charity shop. I have no space for them downstairs - and he hasn't even found the ones that I thought were there. He says there is a box of small kitchen utensils there as well. Also found some old boiler suits (too small for him) and a camel coloured overall coat, which my father used to wear when he worked in a sorting office about 65 years ago. It's in a bit of a state because he used it in his workshop in later years. These things will go in the bin.

Last edited:

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
My DIL is the same. Eats what she likes, uses insulin during the day (if she remembers) but has hypos during the night (without insulin). It's all a lot more complicated than one might think at first. I think that my system just doesn't respond very well to insulin. So I need to take more and more. The new one did seem to have an effect for 2 days, at a lower level than my usual one, but now it doesn't and I'm having to put it up to getting on for the same level as the last one. And still not under control.

Btw - the clafoutie upset my stomach. Still waiting for it to pass. BG 10.7.

Neil has been looking for things in the loft and has brought down boxes and boxes of plates, cups, saucers and mugs. Some just have to go to the charity shop. I have no space for them downstairs - and he hasn't even found the ones that I thought were there. He says there is a box of small kitchen utensils there as well. Also found some old boiler suits (too small for him) and a camel coloured overall coat, which my father used to wear when he worked in a sorting office about 65 years ago. It's in a bit of a state because he used it in his workshop in later years. These things will go in the bin.

What's happening about all these gastric upsets you are continually having Ann?

Just leaving things as they appear to be doesn't feel, to me in any case, like a sensible way forward - especially as a former bowel cancer patient.

To be crystal clear, I am not suggesting you are having another visitation by the Big C, but who knows? At the very least, it is not inconceivable that you are becoming increasingly malnourished by malabsorption issues, not to mention what sounds like purgative impacts of the upsets.

As someone who experienced significantly imbalanced electrolytes, due to extreme diarrhoea, as a result of naso-gastric feeding (not an uncommon side-effect in NG fed patients), I would not wish that on anyone. It impacted every single aspect of my life and almost killed me.

Surely these things need checked out.

Reactions: DJC3

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Good morning all

Just waiting to hear if the co-worker that Mr C often shares work space with has got Covid. His wife tested positive (got the result late yesterday afternoon) and her husband now has to isolate for two weeks but not before he and Mr C were in the same office for eight hours on both Monday and Tuesday - ironically the meetings were about planning their strategy should any staff be tested positive. :nailbiting:

Breakfast: boiled eggs and buttered Burgen soldiers
Lunch: Laughing Cow on ryvita
Dinner: aubergine, tomato and mozzarella bake and green salad

Reactions: maglil55

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Good morning all

Just waiting to hear if the co-worker that Mr C often shares work space with has got Covid. His wife tested positive (got the result late yesterday afternoon) and her husband now has to isolate for two weeks but not before he and Mr C were in the same office for eight hours on both Monday and Tuesday - ironically the meetings were about planning their strategy should any staff be tested positive. :nailbiting:

Breakfast: boiled eggs and buttered Burgen soldiers
Lunch: Laughing Cow on ryvita
Dinner: aubergine, tomato and mozzarella bake and green salad

Crossing my fingers and toes for you, Mr C and the co-worker!
How close proximity were they in the office? Sometimes air currents can make a big difference.

My food yesterday (am v cross with myself over this. Feel like a complete idiot!)

B: kefir and turkey mince
L: ham and cream cheese rollups
S: was feeling v peckish, and the Tescos order arrived, and with it came some bags of Mr B's 'vegetable straws' that he has in his lunch box. aha! I thought. 11g carbs per bag. I can do that, as a one off, and they are 'vegetable' aren't they? So I had them and enjoyed them. Only later did I bother to check which veg, and it turns out that they are potato starch with about 2% carrot or kale. Sigh. So of course, today my knees are both stiff and inflamed. I know better than to do this. It was just one of those absent minded wobbles. poss bg connected? Who knows. And far too late to waste time speculating.
D: 100% beef mince made into burgers and a long scoot with No 3

Reactions: maglil55