What have you eaten today? (Low carb forum)

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
and today in Lidl I bought......
An air fryer!
..... now what to use it for? We are a family of 3 adults, hoping its big enough (Salter 3.2)

I was looking at those yesterday - I decided in the end that I probably wouldn't get enough use from it to justify the loss of more counter space but I'm willing to be converted. Do let me know how your family get on with it. :)

Reactions: maglil55 and DJC3

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
FBG 9.5 at 8.10 am - a bit higher than I expected since BG was pretty low last night (actually down to 3.5 in the late afternoon).
Before breakfast at 11 am it was 13.5. Going to be one of those days, I guess.
Breakfast was berries with some cream - it was going to be yoghurt but I found the end of a tub of cream that needed to be used.
2 hours later it was 15.8.
Lunch was vegetable broth - plenty of veg to use up before they went off. Lots left but probably enough veg for my digestive system today so this evening I will try to calm it all down with scrambled eggs.
BG now - 9.4.
I'm thinking the BG level has less to do with the amount of insulin or content of the food than it has with day to day conditions because, although levels are only moderately high, I have done everything right in terms of insulin dose and carb levels and even calories are pretty reasonable but my ankles and stomach are swollen with fluid - I wonder if that could have something to do with it.

Reactions: maglil55

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I was looking at those yesterday - I decided in the end that I probably wouldn't get enough use from it to justify the loss of more counter space but I'm willing to be converted. Do let me know how your family get on with it. :)
We have half an empty cupboard now we no longer have crisps and snacks,(yay!) so the slow cooker has gone in there and the air fryer where the slow cooker was. I rarely use the slow cooker in summer but hope the air fryer means having the main oven on less...well, thats my justification anyway ;)

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@Annb
On another forum they have been discussing inflammation which is often linked to high insulin and high bg. I'm not sure if its a chicken and egg situation as to what happens first, but this book was recommended
https://www.google.com/search?kgmid...0&source=sh/x/kp/osrp&entrypoint=sh/x/kp/osrp

Also, could it be another longer lasting effect of covid (you are one of those who had it? ... or am I all wrong again, if so sincere apolgies)

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
You can always freeze a starter, for emergencies, such as hungry housemates.

Thanks for the tip. I’ve frozen whey. I think I can use that too? But will freeze a little pot of this yoghurt too when it’s done.

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@maglil55 thanks for the update on @Zauberflot it’s good to know she is still ok in spite of all the ups and downs.
@MrsA2 I bought my airfryer in Lidl too. I love it, but I probably don’t use it as much as other people in here. Mine doesn’t have a rotisserie but but it’s still great for getting really crispy chicken skin, Halloumi chips, chops, sausages etc

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
@Annb
On another forum they have been discussing inflammation which is often linked to high insulin and high bg. I'm not sure if its a chicken and egg situation as to what happens first, but this book was recommended
https://www.google.com/search?kgmid...0&source=sh/x/kp/osrp&entrypoint=sh/x/kp/osrp

Also, could it be another longer lasting effect of covid (you are one of those who had it? ... or am I all wrong again, if so sincere apolgies)

That looks interesting. I'll check it out. For once, I don't think the issue is covid - you're right, I did have an undiagnosed case of probable covid. I had the virus in March but have had these kind of problems for much longer, particularly the fluid problem (just something you have to live with, according to medics).

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Out with Dennis for a nice long woodland walk this morning at a local beauty spot. Managed to get home before it got too busy. Survived on black coffee until lunchtime which was another cobb salad.
A productive afternoon sorting out my overflowing Tupperware cupboard then dinner was roast leg of lamb with cauli cheese and buttered cabbage. 2 glasses red.

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
A bit cooler here today too @Chook - here being Brum rather than London. Spent all day walking and was grateful that only the last 3 hours were in hot sun.

OMAD. Went straight from canal to Five Guys as I knew there was little chance of getting up again once comfy in a chair. Bacon cheeseburger with an extra patty and what must have been a triple portion of bacon! No complaints here. Added a smidge or mayonnaise and some grilled onions.

Thanks for the update on @zauberflote @maglil55 glad she’s ok.

@MrsA2 the airfryer is very versatile. Mine has a rotisserie function so whole chickens are possible but chicken wings, chops, bacon, anything meaty that you might grill, fry, or even roast can be done in the airfryer. Very handy on hot days and anything with skin gets crispy with the meat staying moist. Halloumi fries also good.

Reactions: DJC3 and maglil55

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Got back home from Mum’s yesterday, hopefully for good, coconut ‘porridge’ every day now! :hungry:
Breakfast: my usual low carb coconut ‘porridge’ with strawberries and cream washed down with a black coffee
Late morning: black coffee and a Mississippi phd bar.
Late Lunch: Pork scratchings followed by Greek yoghurt, blackberries from Mum’s garden, and LC chocolate granola.
Dinner: cheesy scrambled eggs followed by SF jelly, cream LC vanilla and raspberry granola. Had planned a roast but way too hot today.

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
FBG 9.5 at 8.10 am - a bit higher than I expected since BG was pretty low last night (actually down to 3.5 in the late afternoon).
Before breakfast at 11 am it was 13.5. Going to be one of those days, I guess.
Breakfast was berries with some cream - it was going to be yoghurt but I found the end of a tub of cream that needed to be used.
2 hours later it was 15.8.
Lunch was vegetable broth - plenty of veg to use up before they went off. Lots left but probably enough veg for my digestive system today so this evening I will try to calm it all down with scrambled eggs.
BG now - 9.4.
I'm thinking the BG level has less to do with the amount of insulin or content of the food than it has with day to day conditions because, although levels are only moderately high, I have done everything right in terms of insulin dose and carb levels and even calories are pretty reasonable but my ankles and stomach are swollen with fluid - I wonder if that could have something to do with it.
It really is a mystery to me @Annb, but then I'm not an insulin user. As @Mrs a says could it be the remainder of whatever we had? I know I was firefighting for weeks to keep my BG'S reasonable and it's only in these last couple of weeks I started to get some kind of normality again. I'm still not totally there but as leadt I'm getting back in the 5's in the afternoon. Fingers crossed that you can get to the bottom of it.

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@mrs A2 - I have the same air fryer as @Goonergal with the rotisserie, kebab, shelves etc. Yesterday's chicken was done on the rotisserie. @DJC3, @Goonergal and @Chook - I too am pleased @zauberflote is in good health. I have told her I will pester her until she returns but I keep in touch.
Today I started the label sewing. I have all the younger one's clothes done. He is so capable of losing clothes I even do his pants and socks! Not with sew on labels but I have an ink pad and stamp. Fortunately M&S have a white band inside the socks to stamp the names on. Tomorrow No 1 will be labelled. My lengthy break is almost over.
Sunday bed 6.7 FBG 6.
B. TAG and a slice of LC toast and oate.
L. Nothing.
D. Usual campari and soda. Gammon steak with a few cubes of pineapple, asparagus and hollandaise, paprika halloumi fries (thanks @Brunneria). I intend to have a couple each of strawberries, raspberries and blackberries with cream very soon.

Reactions: Mrs T 123 and Annb

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks for the tip. I’ve frozen whey. I think I can use that too? But will freeze a little pot of this yoghurt too when it’s done.

Yes, when I was straining my yoghurt, I always used the whey as a starter. In my silly head, I saw it as compensation for the reduced volume (by virtue of the straining).

Reactions: DJC3

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Chook - You can do anything in an air fryer you can do in an oven, and being a much smaller unit, the heat generated is absolutely minimal, which you could find attractive in the current weather.

When I bought ours, MrB, on sight, declared it a sandwich toaster (which is our code for something used twice, than gathers dust), but we use ours many times a week.

Today our main meal was based around a rack of lamb. The AF was used to finish off the lamb, to crisp up the fat. It was jus about 8 minutes at the end .

I bet you'd use it more than you think.

Mrs T 123

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Brunch - 2 boiled eggs mashed up in a cup with butter. Cup of earl grey with double cream.

Then ... off to a seaside town for the day - it was just a nice comfortable 18 so not too hot just a nice and dry day- we wore our masks in the busier parts when not able to social distance but it wasn't really too busy.

Dinner - Lovely fresh salmon from the sea (delicious!) done in batter which I only ate half of the batter and some chips with brown sauce (a rareity for me) and a side of tartare sauce which I thoroughly enjoyed, however, unfortunately, it did spike my BS, so tried and tested and another to be added to the can't have list, so despite walking for hours today, we did another long walk when we came back home, it was still a nice night so ok, and it did bring my levels down to nornal so may/may not do a fast tomorrow depending on what my BS are up to in the morning. I may have to have some of your red wine @Antje77 before going to bed to help lower it for the morning.

zauberflote

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
okra. Cigarette smoke, old, new, and permeating a room, wafting from a balcony, etc etc. That I have so many chronic diseases. That I take so very many meds. Being cold. Anything too loud, but specifically non-classical music and the television.
Hi all! Kind souls have coaxed me back here where I belong although I am exactly where @SlimLizzy was a month ago. Whingefestapallooza over here in the new world. I have so much to read here that I already give up!
High ("") points:
After a very short respiratory illness (probably not Covid; nobody at her facility caught it) my mom passed away Feb 27. She was deep deep into last stages of dementia and went Home. No services have been held yet; everyone would have to travel=not yet.
March 6 first grandbaby born by appointment. Long-awaited and hard-won little boy (insert Grannie babble here)
March 19 we closed on a house of our very own!
March 19-April 18 we moved ourselves (nobody breathing on my things please!)
A short break during which we did not get the carport cleared out and things are moldering out there.
June 4, hernia repair surgery in the little opening between virus surges. All going well but it was harder than I thought.
Last Monday a hurricane remnant, scary but not in reality-- a little wind, a little rain. It rained more Friday than it did Monday. Are we finished yet?

I stopped testing last fall; "too busy with other health stuff". Thought I had a kidney problem but so far dr thinks it's that I was drinking too much water. Labs this month will tell.
Started eating more of the right thing, where I'd merely been eating the right amount. Cardiologist tells me to stop losing weight (apparently BMI under 20 no longer a good BMI...)
Not in conscious response to her, bad-for-me foods join the menu. This continues. I am trying to behave but every day is Groundhog Day so far.
Mr ZF working from home. Puts Oreos on the shopping list. Annual three-chocolate-cakes-in-four-weeks fest for anniversary, father's day, his birthday. Also Ghirardelli brownies for depressed DIL. Then there was National Chocolate Chip Day. Mr ZF loves him his cookies. He will never have diabetes.... last bloods his BG was 82/4.6 a couple of hours after a bowl of raisin bran with a banana on top.
Oh right. My cardiologist will make me take statins if I don't keep my cholesterol down. Trying to stay off cream, butter, cheese. Was doing well but not now.

So. I will tell about the LC things I ate today, and you can assume that some of them were over-indulged, and that something feral has been consumed as well, and forgive me?
Meal 1 avocado, pecans in avocado oil (cardiologist said eat avocado oil...), an egg, 90% Lindt chocolate, and flax crisps with a mug of dilute soymilk. Favorite meal of the day, every day.
Lunch en famille (insert Grannie goo-goo here): chicken picked out of a chicken/onion/apple soupy thing, merlot cheese, cherry tomatoes.
Snack more pecans, celery
Supper to be, I think, a baked chicken thigh, wilted spinach with HM salad dressing, more flax crisps.
Hugs to EVERYBODY!!!!

SlimLizzy

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
football, both the game and the culture.
Carb content estimates please?
20200808_132315.jpeg

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi all! Kind souls have coaxed me back here where I belong although I am exactly where @SlimLizzy was a month ago. Whingefestapallooza over here in the new world. I have so much to read here that I already give up!
High ("") points:
After a very short respiratory illness (probably not Covid; nobody at her facility caught it) my mom passed away Feb 27. She was deep deep into last stages of dementia and went Home. No services have been held yet; everyone would have to travel=not yet.
March 6 first grandbaby born by appointment. Long-awaited and hard-won little boy (insert Grannie babble here)
A short break during which we did not get the carport cleared out and things are moldering out there.
June 4, hernia repair surgery in the little opening between virus surges. All going well but it was harder than I thought.
Last Monday a hurricane remnant, scary but not in reality-- a little wind, a little rain. It rained more Friday than it did Monday. Are we finished yet?

I stopped testing last fall; "too busy with other health stuff". Thought I had a kidney problem but so far dr thinks it's that I was drinking too much water. Labs this month will tell.
Started eating more of the right thing, where I'd merely been eating the right amount. Cardiologist tells me to stop losing weight (apparently BMI under 20 no longer a good BMI...)
Not in conscious response to her, bad-for-me foods join the menu. This continues. I am trying to behave but every day is Groundhog Day so far.
Mr ZF working from home. Puts Oreos on the shopping list. Annual three-chocolate-cakes-in-four-weeks fest for anniversary, father's day, his birthday. Also Ghirardelli brownies for depressed DIL. Then there was National Chocolate Chip Day. Mr ZF loves him his cookies. He will never have diabetes.... last bloods his BG was 82/4.6 a couple of hours after a bowl of raisin bran with a banana on top.
Oh right. My cardiologist will make me take statins if I don't keep my cholesterol down. Trying to stay off cream, butter, cheese. Was doing well but not now.

So. I will tell about the LC things I ate today, and you can assume that some of them were over-indulged, and that something feral has been consumed as well, and forgive me?
Meal 1 avocado, pecans in avocado oil (cardiologist said eat avocado oil...), an egg, 90% Lindt chocolate, and flax crisps with a mug of dilute soymilk. Favorite meal of the day, every day.
Lunch en famille (insert Grannie goo-goo here): chicken picked out of a chicken/onion/apple soupy thing, merlot cheese, cherry tomatoes.
Supper to be, I think, a baked chicken thigh, wilted spinach with HM salad dressing, more flax crisps.
Hugs to EVERYBODY!!!!

Yay Zauberflote. It’s so good to see you. I’m not surprised you’ve not had time to post with all you’ve had going on. So sorry to hear about your mum, but many congrats on becoming a granny, successful surgery, moving house and ‘eating more of the right things’.

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
High ("") points:

Hugs to EVERYBODY!!!!
Yay! You didn't take lots of pestering. Welcome back (and I did send everyone hugs for you).

Reactions: zauberflote