What have you eaten today? (Low carb forum)

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Neil is the same with his Crohn's disease. Other people treat it with a high fibre diet and/or medication, but he can't cope with either. His diet is all low fibre, refined foods. That way he keeps moderately well. When he does get a flare up, he uses tinned fish in water or brine and that seems to calm things down, although he can't eat fresh fish. For him it seems to work. Just a thought.
Thanks for the info Ann. I am balancing what I eat with replacement enzymes due to my reduced pancreas and a nasty condition called Bile Acid Malabsorption both medicated so its far from straightforward. I am not convinced I had Diverticulitis as I never had a temperature and if I did it wasnt serious thankfully as I cannot tolerate oral antibiotics! Maybe other factors were at play. Anyway last night I cooked chicken, chorizo, red pepper, paprika and tinned toms for Mr PM to have with pasta and added some chopped courgette and enjoyed a small portion, obs no pasta for me. No after effects! I hope so much you find a way of balancing your insulin and food, all I can say is trust your instincts!

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
It’s my birthday today so not as low carb as usual! :happy:
Breakfast: my usual low carb coconut ‘porridge’ with strawberries and cream washed down with a black coffee. I may just have had two Montezuma peanut butter dark choc eggs aswell!
Late morning: black coffee and Strawberry carb killa.
Too hot for Lunch! Just had a handful of Pecans
Dinner out, ‘Eat out to help out’ deal fell conveniently on my birthday: bunless double cheese and bacon burger with coleslaw and six triple cooked chips (!) followed by SF jelly, cream and LC chocolate granola at home.
Happy birthday

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Last edited:

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
Evening all.

Hugs for the medical issues @PenguinMum @Chook and @Annb

Another scorcher here today.

Menu will be a bit samey this week due to over purchasing in Asda on Monday morning and lack of freezer space!

Ate breakfast as it was obvious from my calendar that the working day would be full with few opportunities for proper food. Had mince fried with onions, 2 eggs and grated cheese. Even managed to get it out of the frying pan in tact.
‘Lunch’ was one small pork belly slice chopped into small pieces, rolled in chilli oil and air fried.
Dinner was chicken wings salted and coated in chilli oil.

In other news - and kind of related to this thread, I’m featured in the Deliciously Guilt Free podcast this week. It’s the 10 minute slot. Sadly it didn’t result in any freebies!

https://podcasts.apple.com/gb/podcast/uk-low-carb/id1503692518?i=1000487761776

Editing to add photo

View attachment 43263

Lovely to hear your voice (you sound exactly like you do in my mind when I read your posts). Shame about the (lack of) freebies.

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Morning all!

Breakfast: Longley Farm cottage cheese with flaked almonds and carb free syrup
Lunch: Ryvita with Longley Farm cream cheese topped with a few blackberries
Dinner: a sort of cauliflower cous cous salad with grilled artichokes (thanks for the inspiration @ianpspurs ) black olives, tiny chargrilled courgettes, small avocado, spring onion, feta and tomato
Dessert will be raspberries (of course)

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Morning all!

Breakfast: Longley Farm cottage cheese with flaked almonds and carb free syrup
Lunch: Ryvita with Longley Farm cream cheese topped with a few blackberries
Dinner: a sort of cauliflower cous cous salad with grilled artichokes (thanks for the inspiration @ianpspurs ) black olives, tiny chargrilled courgettes, small avocado, spring onion, feta and tomato
Dessert will be raspberries (of course)
Fixed (but I can't help people who eat flaked almonds and cottage cheese - no one can):angelic: Lazy man's avocado fix /midday top up (on skinny bread toast/bread - Tip: works better WITH yeast - and chicken breast or poached egg (s) ) is much more woke/millennial/gen Z/antifa https://www.waitrose.com/ecom/products/holy-moly-smashed-avocado/458736-586434-586435:woot::woot::woot::woot:. Now I need to leave this thread.

Last edited:

zauberflote

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
okra. Cigarette smoke, old, new, and permeating a room, wafting from a balcony, etc etc. That I have so many chronic diseases. That I take so very many meds. Being cold. Anything too loud, but specifically non-classical music and the television.
@Rachox HAPPY BIRTHDAY!
@shelley262 SAME TO YOU!!
@Annb , @PenguinMum and @Chook more hugs coming your ways.
@maglil hurray 4.2!!! What is haslet please? Some offal prepared as only you know how?
@ianpspurs I have thought od you frequently, over my AWOL time, because of your move. So glad to hear your voice! What do you mean Little America? Is £ no longer hard currency?? And char grilled artichokes! How did you make them? We just got a new propane grill ("barbecue") that won't blow up the first time we use it. PS it wasn't me with the air fryer link. There is a rotisserie accessory we could buy for this new grill but I doubt that would happen soon. DS loves his air fryer... maybe he will give me one for Christmas!
@Goonergal fun to hear your voice, and I learned how to pronounce "paracetamol"!!!

Yesterday-- almost made a short afternoon fast but ate pecans. In other news, my feral food was carb-free so I can mention the butter before bedtime. Otherwise similar to today, which is so far only:
Bfast avocado, pecans in avo oil, boiled egg, 1.5 Lindt 90%, flax crisps/dilute soy. This meal takes forever to eat. I did three days' worth of dishes while nibbling the chocolate.... the dishwasher in this house didn't last two weeks after we moved in, and I want a cheap stop-gap one while we decide if we are going to do some work in the kitchen, but haven't hit "submit order" yet.

It's not yet 1:00 and the thunder has already started! @maglil my grandfather used to take my mom out on the porch to enjoy thunderstorms, because her mother was the one in the closet. So I'm a great fan, the louder the better!

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
For those playmates who have the Power, Lidl or any of the other labels of the same configuration, apparently this roasting tin is a perfect fit for the chamber.

I already use a similar dish, both to roast in, but to act as a deeper drip tray for foods rendering alot of fat, during their cooking process. https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B071FT3...7zII07_GYN-1znT7FhxoQUFrYIPR9lhsveMwo6tv_1QT0

I saw a post, with the link in a food gadgets Faceache group.

In other news, there is a virtually new (still has the control panel plastic cover in it) for £35 on Facebook marketplace. I'm a little obsessed by it, since someone mentioned they'd snapped up the most incredible bargain.

Just thought I'd mention it, as, in my view, the drip tray is one of that particular AF's weak points.

Reactions: Chook and maglil55

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
For those playmates who have the Power, Lidl or any of the other labels of the same configuration, apparently this roasting tin is a perfect fit for the chamber.

I already use a similar dish, both to roast in, but to act as a deeper drip tray for foods rendering alot of fat, during their cooking process. https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B071FT3...7zII07_GYN-1znT7FhxoQUFrYIPR9lhsveMwo6tv_1QT0

In other news, there is a virtually new (still has the control panel plastic cover in it) for £35 on Facebook marketplace. I'm a little obsessed by it, since someone mentioned they'd snapped up the most incredible bargain.

Just thought I'd mention it, as, in my view, the drip tray is one of that particular AF's weak points.

Reckon it might be slightly too high for the Lidl one. Will measure again before ordering. Other dimensions work with a bit to spare.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Breakfast: my usual low carb coconut ‘porridge’ with strawberries and cream washed down with a black coffee.
Late morning: black coffee and white chocolate phd bar.
Too hot for Lunch again: just had a handful of pork scratchings.
Dinner: chicken chasseur with roasted Mediterranean veggies followed by SF jelly, cream and LC chocolate granola.

Onlinecaroline

Breakfast - 3 eggs mashed with butter in a cup

Lunch - 3 slices of ham, a babybel, fridge raiders chicken and 2 Ryvita crackers with cheese spread. Crackers came in at 8g so was happy to have some crunch for that.

Dinner - fajita beef with peppers, avocado, dollop of sour cream and cheese.

Comes in dead on 20g but might have a wee square of chocolate and a cup of tea later.

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Brunch: yoghurt,2 strawberries and seeds, 2 slices corned beef and a small avocado

Then off to dentists. The only thing that hurt was the bill

D: chicken thighs coated in crunched up scratchings with added seeds and spices done in the airfryer. Added some sweet potato chips for the boys, one of whom made a tasty side of sweetcorn and feta. I only had one tablespoonful but 2 hours later 9.4. Dont know pre dinner level as got too involved trying to work out temperatures and timings for the new airfryer gadget. Very cross I went that high. I only have to think about food and my bg seems to go up these days

Mrs T 123

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Lovely relaxing day today spent sunbathing in the garden while putting loads of washing out - quite a lazy day actually but good.

Brunch - 2 boiled eggs mashed up in a cup with butter - also had a handful of almond nuts while I was waiting on the eggs cooking - I went to bed hungry last night and woke up hungry this morning - after that also had 2 slices of pork and egg roll and a mug of earl grey with double cream.

Dinner - gammon steak with fried egg and melted cheese on top with broccoli, kale and a few carrots. SF jelly and double cream.

Went a long walk tonight as it was still really nice but had cooled down.

I am not long back from Morrisons where I got a jar of pickled eggs!!! ....... they are next to the pickled onions (which I was looking for) for anyone who is interested - it is the first time I have noticed them - it must be because we were speaking about them

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

Got that ordered now. I cover the drip tray with foil but that will be very handy.

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Totally different here today - much, much cooler and breezy. BGs are a bit lower than they have been recently, too.

Today's food is....

Breakfast: omelette with carb free syrup (lemon and raspberry)
Lunch: Longley Farm cream cheese on Ryvita with a few raspberries on top
Dinner: remainder of yesterday's cauliflower cous cous salad (really nice - will definitely make again)

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Yesterday Wednesday bed 5.4 FBG an amazing 4.3!! Boys safely back to school. The eldest was still nervous but fine once he spotted all his friends. Hubby came with me for pick up as they come out different exits and this year they are at opposite ends of the school. Just need to get the eldest educated on getting around to the opposite side within the allowed "bubble" parameters. Lots of happy, smiling parents too with the schools back. It was a scorcher yesterday so they were telling me they had lunch outside with their class "bubble". Got to say our council & school has things really well organised and the kids already know all the new rules for their safety. @Rachrox - belated Happy Birthday x
@zauberflote - Haslet is a cold deli meat. It's a kind of pork meat loaf with herbs. It sometimes has breadcrumbs in it but the one I buy doesn't affect my BGs. Funny you should mention my other liking! When I was in Morrisons yesterday, they had mistakenly had Yorkshire tripe delivered again. I bought all of it! All 10 packs. Once again it will become lots of portions if Trippa alla Romana.
B. TAG and a slice of LC toast with pate.
L. Nothing
D. So hot we just has a repeat of the cold meat and salad. Slice each of ox tongue, roast pork, haslet with lettuce, tomatoes, baby beet, waldorf salad, coleslaw, veggie salad and 6 walnut halves.

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
BTW, if anyone is interested, for today only Jason Fung's book 'The Obesity Code' is in the Kindle Daily Deal for £2.49 down from £14.99.

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Bed 7.4 FBG 6.9. After a day of low 5's and 4's it was disappointing but it was a very, humid and uncomfortable night and I ended up having a shower at 6am to cool off. Humid weather normally pushes me up. Getting the boys into school was easier today. We were a bit concerned about how they would take to packed lunches (the smaller one us very fussy) but the eldest only had crusts remaining (normal - he doesn't do crusts) and the youngest an apple with 4 bites out of it! We are looking for bigger water bottles for them. School water fountains are turned off so they cannot refill their bottles at school.
B. TAG and a slice of LC toast with pate.
L. Nothing - working my way through mass cooking of the tripe in the IP to turn it into trippa alla romana @zauberflote. Got the soffritto made and into the IP with pancetta and chilli. Just going to finish the tripe prep and the rest of the ingredients are going in.
D. Will be said Trippa alla Romana as Hubby and boys are having steak pie, mash & peas for dinner.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Morning All!

Another scorcher yesterday, and fridge stocks running down, so did v simple air fryer stuff.

Steak for lunch, moo grob for supper, with some Godiva in the middle.

This is my last working day in August! Am counting down the minutes. lol.
Am off to visit relatives for a few days - first time since Jan. We have had big discussions on COVID risk, and decided to be sensible but not paranoid.
Then the second week will be at home, doing Home Stuff, which will depend on the weather.
This is the first time I have had a solid 2 weeks off work in... well it is probably 3 or 4 years. So I intend to make the most of it in a lying in, no alarm clock way.

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi All
Just done a big C&C so well stocked again. Very envious of Mr PM’s choc ices. I see Oppo now do ice cream sticks but not available on my C&C, maybe just as well!
Today had early brekkie of HiLo toast, tea.
Lunch will be egg mayo salad with my h/g red and yellow toms.
Supper is Thursday house special: Chunky fishfingers with broccoli.

Agree @maglil55 it was crazy hot last night. I brought water up from the fridge which was lukewarm when I needed it. I can’t remember such a prolonged spell of very hot and humid weather. I have never, ever eaten Tripe but since I don’t like offal I dont imagine I would like it. I remember my mother bought ox heart once and I was dreading supper that evening, worried about it all day at school. It turned out my brother broke his leg at school and dinner never happened. I dont remember what or how but that the ox heart never happened.