Do I need a flu vaccine for T2D? Anxiety playing havoc!

harrygarry95

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hey!

Coming up to flu season now and I can't decide if I should get a flu vaccine? I'm 25 years old and I've only ever had flu vaccines when I was a child. Obviously with COVID around I'm trying to be extra safe, plus I've already had the flu once when I was 16 and I experienced swine flu in 2009 which was equally unpleasant.

The main reason which puts me off are the side effects. I know the vaccine doesn't give you the flu - but I'm worried if I get a fever I'll panic and think I have COVID. I'm really battling with my anxiety over this one...

I know my doctor will say I should have one. But I'm intrigued by those who are anti-vaxxers and their reasons.

Thanks

LaoDan

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
The term “new normal “
I get one every year and will continue doing so.

Reactions: sleepster

sleepster

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I have type 1 and I get a flu jab every year, I'm all booked up for this years :D

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
I had mine in April in NZ at the height of lockdown. I've been having them for years/decades and though my arm sometimes aches there's no way I'd want to cope with T1 and actual flu. It might not be so bad if you're not on insulin but illness pushes your levels up so why risk it?

DavidGrahamJones

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Newspapers
The main reason which puts me off are the side effects.

I always have had a flu jab every year and will always have a flu jab every year. I have never experienced any side effects except for a sore arm sometimes. If I was to be asked by anyone whether to have a flu jab or not and some of my younger friends have asked, I would say YES. No question.

sno0opy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Every year without fail even before I was diagnosed. To be honest I have never had any side effects.

Seacrow

Type of diabetes
LADA
I get side effects every time, sore arm, fever and whole body aches. The times I haven't had the jab and then caught the flu, though, have put me in hospital with pneumonia, breathing problems and uncontrollable blood glucose and ketones.
I'm on the get the jab team.

Rokaab

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I'm another that gets the sore/tender shoulder for a few days but nothing else. Will be booking my flu jab later today (as I've just got the text from the docs).
Edit: I get exactly the same sore/tender arm when I get my pneumonia jab every 5 years

Last edited:

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
I'm another who has the flu jab every year and have done for many years again the worst I've had is a sore arm.

Ps I've already had this years jab.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Mine is booked for September. I have had one every year since becoming entitled to one - about 12 years, and have never had any reaction other than a bit of a stiff arm. I advise everyone that is eligible to have one. Genuine flu is a terrible illness.

Jbicheno

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
As a diabetic you are entitled to a free flu jab. I have one every year. Type 2 under 60 (just).

lessci

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Having had true flu in 2000, I'm another one for the jab, I NEVER want to feel that ill again. Booked in for the end of September. I was once told that if you get a sore arm it's because you already have some immunity to one of the strains of flu in this season jab and your immune system is fighting it. No reaction, no current immunity

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Better safe than sorry!

I've had flu jabs for years, and only once apart from an occasional slightly sore/stiff arm, have I had any (but certainly not serious) side effects, and that was years before I became diabetic and was young and fit. This year's jab has just been booked for next month.

I did actually have flu as a young and otherwise healthy teenager and that's not something I'd ever care to repeat, especially now I'm old and diabetic. I'd hate to think what it might do to my glucose levels now!

Reactions: EllieM

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
I had flu at age 16 and age 56 and both times ended up in hospital with pneumonia and then (the second time which was a couple of years after T2 diagnosis) I had a follow on complication from the pneumonia that lasted for months and scared the wits out of me and my husband.

I will definitely be getting the jab but I will be having it at my local pharmacy where you don't have to make an appointment.

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm another who has the flu jab every year and have done for many years again the worst I've had is a sore arm.

Ps I've already had this years jab.
How did you get the flu jab so early?
I always have the jab and don't even get a sore arm.

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
I wandered into the local Pharmacy to pick up my repeat prescription the pharmacist said John have you had your flu jab I said yes he said according to the computer you haven't so I'll do it now. mind you I have to admit to some confusion over dates I now thinking back realize that was just prior to lock down and may have been 2019's jab late or duplicated due to administrative error because prior to that I am sure when in the surgery the DN gave me the jab plus the Pneumonia Vaccination but I didn't bother to argue and said OK as I don't have problems with it. So will be due another from September I was mistaken as this years is still yet to come incidentally when in the Air Force as I was on the instant response team I was immunized for just about every disease known to man that vaccines were available for. I never had a bad reaction to any of them.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I had the flu in the early 70s, and was told to go in to work or else (it was the Tax Office) and ended up working all by myself in a totally deserted floor of open plan office. Several of the older people never came back to work. Eventually I keeled over and was off work for some time. The doctor was coming round to the flat to see if I was still alive, I think. I was a fit 21 year old and I couldn't get into hospital as they were full.
If you are offered a flu jab, I'd say jump at it.

ringi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Given Covid-19 and the flu spreads in much the same way
  • The risk of getting the flu this year is lower
  • But there is a real risk of getting both Covid-19 and the flu at the same time
If you get the flu (even mild) you will not be allowed out until you have had a Covid-19 test